PDA

View Full Version : Good Samaritan at the boat ramp

uripper
30-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Imagine this …

Hauled the boat 300kms to Hervey Bay (supposed fishing paradise) – boat/motor have been purring like a kitten all year, but get the yearly service done before you leave to be sure & all good news from the mechanic – staying at the outlaws for 10days so the boat & fishing is the escape route … well that’s the plan.

Christmas eve (Saturday) decide to take the father-in-law & brother-in-law +one of the kids out for an early fish (get family brownie points up early) – motor keeps spluttering, 1/2starting, but won’t go properly – after another hour of pure frustration, take everyone home – go looking for local help but all marine shops closed the day before for hols –– back to ramp & try again, same result – ring the mechanic back in Brissie (fortunately I have his mobile no & he answers) – we go thru the routine – plugs, spark, filters, fuel, etc etc – no joy – its now about 11am – been at this for 3/4hours & the outlook is grim – bloody grim – 10days of outlaws & no boat in fishing paradise - AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!

There’s a big 4WD cruiser with a to-die-for plate alloy centre console beside me at the rigging area – all new, black & shining – right beside my ole’ girl (Southwind UB580) that I love dearly but at this low point I feel anger, envy, & lots of bad thoughts - enter the Good Samaritan – the “tosser” (my presumption) strolls over & offers to help while waiting for others to arrive admitting he’s not a mechanic but been around boats for a while – go through the routines again & back down the ramp (boat stays on trailer) for one last try – then he finds a kink in the fuel line up under the transom (after the filter & pressure bulb, just before the line exits the outside to the motor) – YES – thank you Huey/ God /Budda /Jehovah etc etc – most of all thanks to the Good Samaritan

As if all the above wasn’t enough, now discover that the winch crank was missing (maybe due to bro-in-law earlier) – not an insurmountable problem but a real pain in the @#$% - so Good Samaritan produces a spare from the big 4WD cruiser (with the correct hexhead socket of course) – struth, who is this guy??

answer -DARRYL GARDNER, Gardner Marine Sales, Burpengary – turns out he’s from my own neck of the woods & owns Bluewater Boats, builders of high quality alloy plate rigs – www.gardnermarine.com.au - have now caught up with Darryl at his factory (very impressive) & delivered the appropriate thanks - this post is just another little bit of the appreciation #:)

Thanks again Darryl - your a champ.
MalM

PS- the boat didn’t miss a beat over the next 10days but the northerlies were bad & the fishing even worse - despite having a box full of “Lucky-Phill” slugs – “roz” reckons his slug(s) will catch about anything – didn’t do a thing for me ::)

fishin_till_late
30-01-2006, 08:10 PM
good to hear it was only a small problem and nothing major ;)

well done Darryl its good to know theres people who will help boaties in trouble thats the boating and fishing spirit

Kiktz
30-01-2006, 09:05 PM
A little bit goes a long way..............
Good on you Darryl.. :)

Needmorerum
30-01-2006, 09:29 PM
10 Points to Gardner Marine. It's good to hear this type of report lately, with all the rest that are going up at the moment. A bit of an upper for us I think.

Well done, don't be to disheartened about coming home with nothing, you get used to it after a while. ;)

Cheers
Corry

Angla
30-01-2006, 09:45 PM
MalM,
Just a good story and well told too.

It has happened to you and you will be more than willing to repay that to someone else I'm sure. That's how it seems to work.

Angla

Feral
31-01-2006, 06:15 AM
I live at Burpengarry, never heard of Gardiner Marine, cant get that URL to work, so will have to go and hunt him out!

Sounds like a good bloke!

PS I'd be thinking about a word with the bloke who serviced the boat, one woulda thought a yearly service would have included a look at the fuel lines, at least to check if they were perished. (although that could be how it got kinked!)

vanurose
31-01-2006, 07:24 AM
I love this thread.
Good on you for mentioning this wonderful person
I wish he was up here in Cairns at our boat ramp if we ever had problems(touch wood)
I think you must be a good person too for someone to help you like that.
My husband helps people all the time too, but if they have an attitude he just wouldnt bother
Thanks for posting this thread
We need more like this one to read
Cheers Rose

uripper
31-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Feral

that URL should work OK - otherwise details are
Gardner Marine
shed3 /10 Brewers St, Burpengary
Ph: (07) 38889441
Fax: (07) 38886443
Mob: 0416 155341 (Darryl)

the kinked fuel line was my fault by over stuffing some life jackets into that compartment

my mechanic is a legend - Shane Macpherson 0412 844 568 - he ran the family Bay Breeze Marine business at Kallangur before discovering he could make more#money by going mobile though his prices are still ridiculously low - top bloke & a great mechanic - who else would be available Xmas eve trying to help out some yobo DIY disaster 300kms away? - Shane is based near Redcliffe & works surrounding areas - you wont be dissappointed

MalM

toymod
31-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Thats great, its true this place has been on a bit of a downer so great to hear some good news for once ;D

-spiro-
31-01-2006, 08:45 AM
Top story ::) about time we here positive things on here........? Sounds like a top bloke 8-) and the same as feral stated i ain't heard of him either and i lived there for 10 years with different boats and used to get Bribie marine to do all my service work 8-)

gogecko
31-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Yeah, I was helped out this week as well. Launched at VMR (Main Beach) ramp No 1 on Sat early, and come back to find it surrounded by outrigger canoe competition. B*gger the rowers, I thought, I'll retrieve on ramp No 2 a few hundered yards up, which turns out to be covered in 6in of sand.

Thanks to the guys in the outriggers who all pushed me and another car who got bogged. Even a 4wd got bogged. Nice to see big fit guys ready to lend a hand, and I thanked them profusely.

Andrew

revs57
31-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Great story uripper,

always good to know where to go for good service...and a reminder to us all to be out there for each other...Well done Darryl

and I noticed you covered all the bases in giving thanks ;D ;D ;D

Well done!

Cheers

rhys

Argle
31-01-2006, 10:37 AM
Great thread great read great news!! :)
Well done to all that lent a hand, now thats REAL Australian spirit 8-)

Cheers and Beers

Barrymundi
31-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Great Story,,

I have a spare winch handle cable tied to my trailer, just in case I loose one or two or three, actually about four I think.

Al

roz
31-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Hi there Mal,

Havn't seen you around the traps (threads) for a while.

Nice to see something good happening, one good turn ey.

As for those slugs.....we've all got to say that or he gets upset ;D

Cheers Roz

p.s. up at Agnes at the moment and the weather is crap.

Lucky_Phill
31-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Nice to hear the good stuff pop up again , Mal

Mate ! those friggin northerlies, what can I say............ the spotties have not been active in numbers in the Bay anyway. but do not fear, the list of species that are falling to " THOSE " slugs is increasing daily.

And BTW, Hervey Bay is that sort of place, full of friendly folk.. ;) :D

Cheers Phill

Stu
31-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Hey Mal
Great to hear of people helping each other at the boat ramp.
Thanks for the info on Shane, I'll give him a buzz in a few months when the boat is due for its service.
Cheers
Stu