PDA

View Full Version : Security Does Work - Fortunately

gunna
30-01-2006, 04:52 PM
In my old abode I parked the boat facing the house in a carport attached to the house. Security was a Trailermate as well as a chain to the carport. Since moving I have had to park on the footpath - therefore no chain. I was a bit unhappy with that so after a week or two I went out and bought a Klamp-it for the wheel. Got home last night from a few days away to find the boat in a different spot. Seems the neighbours found it out on the street the other morning and had to man-handle it back to the footpath. Some persons presumably have tried to move it away from the house to then steal it. Thank goodness I added the extra protection. Couple hundred dollars well spent. The garage has now been cleaned out and the boat is away.

Mad_Barry
30-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Sorry, I thought you said I could drop past and borrow it whenever I want.

Good to see you settled in anyway. ;D

Angla
30-01-2006, 05:12 PM
BASTARDS!

Gunna
Glad they didn't get it. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.
Did you have the trailermate on the front as well? or did they just drag it somehow with it still on?

Still good news and handy to know there is a thief in the area (or just visiting)
I know what should happen to him
[smiley=furious2.gif] + [smiley=gossip.gif] + [smiley=bandana.gif] + [smiley=smash.gif] + [smiley=oops.gif] + [smiley=policeman.gif] = [smiley=hanged.gif]

Angla

gunna
31-01-2006, 08:49 AM
Angla - the Trailermate was fitted on the front. Though as someone pointed out - you can still chain the trailer to the tow ball to temorarily beat that. Interestingly - I believed the Klamp-it was pretty much unbeatable. But after the boat had been manhandled back to the footpath the Klamp was turned round a bit and wouldn't unlock. Know how I got round it - deflated the tyre and jacked the trailer up. Too easy.

Roo
31-01-2006, 09:11 AM
maybe alloy wheels with one of those vinyl coated stainless ropes treaded through the holes and around/through the springs would be better.
I got a 4.5m length of 10mm coated SS rope from bunnings for $30. and a big sheilded padlock so they can't get it in the jaws of bolt cutters. The rope is almost uncuttable without using a grinder(pretty noisy, hope the neigbours notice).
It's amazing that peoiple will spend $10 on a cheap padlock that will pop open with 1 good hit from a hammer to protect thousands of dollars worth of boat. :-/

Cheers, Roo.

Roo
31-01-2006, 09:32 AM
I forgot to add... ;).
with SS rope through the wheels and springs from one side to the other, nice and tight so they cant take them off. just wrap any slack around the trailer.

Also very handy to lock the trailer to the car when at the ramp. wrap the rope around and through anything fixed(welded) on the trailer/drawbar then use the loops at each end of rope to lock to towbar points(not the hitch if is a hayman reese type).

cheers, Roo.

nodjule
31-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Anyone using there trailermate at the ramp when the car is hooked up to the trailer ??

Hookem_Herby
31-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Glad to hear the tub is still safe Pedro. :)

Cheers,
Herby

cooky
31-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Anyone using there trailermate at the ramp when the car is hooked up to the trailer ??

yep. In fact when I first had boat I bought one and used to tow with it (keep it on), until some mug accidentially threw it out (at work). I bought another one and actually read the packet 8-)and noticed that they are not to be towed with. Of course a few trips later when my trailer decided to jump off my towball, snap the safety chain coupling and go for a ride down the street at around 40km/h I wished I'd not read that warning :'( >:(. I plan to get one that can be attached while driving (I get nervous these days when I look in the rear vision mirror).

My boat sits on footpath with just the trailermate - I'm wondering if this would be an issue with insurance. I haven't been bothered to read the Suncorp policy. Anyone?? ;) ::) I like the idea of a bicycle chain / lock around the wheels, etc. Too difficult to steal in my street (end of deadend) unless it's quick and easy (got to love those sticky beak retired people :)).

Roo
31-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Last night i had a long discussion with RACQ about insurance coverage / Storage.

I had my boat in a yard behind a wharehouse, with buildings on 4 sides except where the driveway comes in. a locked gate (10ft high) at the end of the long driveway, so no one would know it was there and had no way of getting it out without defeating all my security on the boat & tyrailer and a secured gate, regular nightly patrols by security firm etc.etc.

UNACCEPTABLE RISK :o :o :o

I thought they were not quite understanding me when i explained the security measures. but No, They said because it was not my principle place of residence......unacceptable risk. :(

they EVENTUALLY relented and said ok for a week while I made other arrangements......Meanwhile it is sitting next to the wifes, bosses 5m bar crusher all perfectly covered by insurance with Club Marinein a very secure place that RACQ deems unacceptable risk.

When i Questioned them regarding what is acceptable i said "so i can leave it in my driveway OK?".........No. unacceptable risk.

What about someone elses driveway? like when your on holidays and stay with freinds or relations. is it ok in their driveway or on the street. YES :o WHAT THE????

HOW STRANGE!??!!?

Moral of the story is .........read the fine print and phone and check first because if i had assumed it was ok and (god forbid) some filthy monkey stole it...I would have been UNINSURED :'( :'(

cheers, Roo.

Roo
31-01-2006, 12:56 PM
I mush apolgise for my very poor shpelling.
i'm not drunk.... ;D
I just hit far too many keys when i get worked up about something.

Very hard to get excited when typing ;D ;D

roo

Dendrobe
31-01-2006, 04:59 PM
Gees Pedro, all that time in good 'ole Blacktown & nothing happens. Six weeks in bewdiful Queensland and somebody tries to knock off your boat >:(. Very bad.

Cheech
31-01-2006, 06:17 PM
Cooky, the fine print is something that you should be bothered to read. I am also with suncorp and the policy states that you must have a propper trailer lock, and also goes on to state that a chain and a padlock is not acceptable. Loose your trailer with suncorp and you would not be covered.

Thise that use chains and stainless steel rope should read the conditions of their policy to be sure. You may need both. A chain if that is what you want, but also the trailer lock for insurance.

Cheech

Angla
31-01-2006, 08:52 PM
I believe mine was acceptable because behind side gates with trailer lock on towpoint
At the ramp I have a hayman reese locking pin and the trailer lock and alarm on the 4x4
In the end I just wish for it to be there when I return as I believe if they want it they will get it or at least some of the parts off it

Angla

cooky
31-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Cooky, the fine print is something that you should be bothered to read. I am also with suncorp and the policy states that you must have a propper trailer lock,

I know I SHOULD, but I haven't. I have my own business and have multiple, multiple insurance policies to cover bloody everything. I fall asleep reading them, let alone have the time to read my own home policies. I promise I'll be good one day and read them, or I'll just call my insurance broker and throw the thing under my work account - let the experts tell me.

Is a trailermate a "proper trailer lock"?

I can't park my boat in my yard (too small), so it either sits in driveway or out the front on nature strip. I'll review my security arrangements this weekend

gunna
01-02-2006, 01:46 PM
Gees Pedro, all that time in good 'ole Blacktown & nothing happens. Six weeks in bewdiful Queensland and somebody tries to knock off your boat >:(. #Very bad.

Not wrong Daz. Lucky I fished with a bloke down there who sold me on the value of wheel locks ;) ;).