PDA

View Full Version : deckie dreamssssssss

bowds13
01-02-2006, 06:18 PM
hey guys i have been thinking about this for a long long time now. i was wonder how and whats the best way to become a deckie. im only 16 turning 17 this year and was really really hoping to be able to be a deckie then one day own my own charter. do you guys have any tips that might help get me a few steps ferther to becoming a deckie is it hard to become a deckie? any help would be very much appreciated

cheers bowds

juicyfruit
01-02-2006, 06:22 PM
http://jobguide.thegoodguides.com.au/text/jobdetails.cfm?jobid=1029

Blackened
01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
G'day bowds
I was about your age and in the same boat... pardon the pun. Forst of all, throw ourself into a tafe course... you'll need occ. health n safety @ sea and the other modules are a great help. Course is 3 months full time. Before the course ended i emailed a stack of charter companies and explained them my past experiances, how long i had been on the water for and willingness to learn and the like. Picked up a job pretty much straight away. There's lotsa jobs out there, just go down to your local marina and search around.. get intouch with the owner and volunteer your services for a day and you'll probally pull a job out of it.
Dave

hundgie
02-02-2006, 10:53 AM
Gday bowds13, Blackened is spot on with his advise, you need to get to tafe these days to get job as a deckie, i did a 'general purpose hand' corse at tafe you will learn heaps from it and have fun doing it. Also like blackened said go down to your local marina or get online and volunteer your services free of charge, you should be able to find someone who is willing to let you tag along when ever you like, and you dont need your ticket if the charter is not paying you,you might also be lucky enough to through a line every now then.Good luck mate.
Josh