PDA

View Full Version : Sharks in Coomera River

sarahjane79
18-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Several residents along the Coomera River have reported shark sightings. They even photographed one. I really want to get in contact with anyone who has a story about sharks in Gold Coast Rivers. Please email me sarahh@riverlandsnews.com # ASAP. or phone me on 3807 5711.

gogecko
18-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Sent you an email. I saw one there a few weeks ago.

Andrew

Darryl
18-01-2006, 03:18 PM
They have always been up there for as long as i can remember.

I used to live on a houseboat just up from the Gold Coast City Marina and we used to see them smashing up the mullet at night.

Nothing new there.

sf17fisherman
18-01-2006, 04:22 PM
OMG sharks in the Coomera river
whats next sharks in the bay or even worst the oceans :P

wonder if people would sleep better know just how close we get to sharks everytime we go for a swim of fish
i dout there is a river in australia that doesn't house some sort of resident sharks with their big bad bitey teeth

sorry i seem a bit harsh but this person is from riverlands news and hence another person that maybe should be reporting on something they may not know that well and once again over do it with the scary shark tales

drevil
18-01-2006, 04:37 PM
fair enough sf17, but I know quite a few juorno's, and yes, it's fair to say they can't be experts in everything they report But if we, as a group of experienced and knowledgeable fishos, actually tried to educate these people instead of bagging them, we might actually get better reporting.

bidkev
18-01-2006, 05:01 PM
fair enough sf17, but I know quite a few juorno's, and yes, it's fair to say they can't be experts in everything they report #But if we, as a group of experienced and knowledgeable fishos, actually tried to educate these people instead of bagging them, we might actually get better reporting.

I doubt it mate and it ain't the journo's fault. It's simply "food for the masses". The majority of public want blood, drama, and smut and unfortunately, that seems to be the stuff that sells the most papers. The Pomms are past masters at it ;D

Britains best selling tabloid. Makes me want to throw up. If you can get past the sex bits have a read of the shark attack.....Journalism at it's finest ;D

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,5,00.html

kev

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less until he knows everything about nothing. ;D

matt20
18-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Its already been said but ill say it again.
Sharks in GC canals and rivers is old news- Its no newer then lions in africa!

Heres a pic of a bait that got nailed by a shark between pimpama river mouth and couran last night.-It was floated 2m below the surface in about 6m of water. The mullet was about 20cm.

shaman
18-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah I live on a canal that runs off the coomera and in the seven odd years Ive lived there there has always been shark activity mainly bulls I think. lotsa small stuff u can see the dorsals breaking the surface. They make a bit of ruckus after the rain and the mullet become more active. They actually splash the revetment walls as they quickly turn at high tide.
Never actually tried to hook one but have lost a couple of rods off my back deck. Bloke down the canal told me a few years ago that he had caught 2 hammerheads there in the same night one about a metre and one slightly larger. :o

David_P
18-01-2006, 08:15 PM
When I had a tinnie, I used to fish the shallow reefs around Ormiston. One day headed out north of Cleveland Point and happened to jag a small whaler. Then I caught another, and another. I started targeting them with floating pillies on 6kg spin gear. Had a ball at this spot at the same time of year over a few years. The whalers ranged in size from a couple of kilos to about 9kg, with a few that just couldn't be stopped. Occassionally they'd jump, which added to the excitement. I often wondered why so many small sharks in that area? Perhaps a breeding / birthing area? Dunno, but one thing I do know is that where there are little sharks, there's bound to be bigger ones :-?

I know it's got nothing to do with the Coomera, but it's just another example of many sharks close to home.

Hoges
19-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Interesting story here in today's Melb, Herald Sun...
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17860602%255E1702,00.html

Ban on freshwater shark fishing
From correspondents in Managua
18jan06

NICARAGUA has banned freshwater fishing of bull sharks and sawfish because of alarming population declines.
...more

sarahjane79
19-01-2006, 09:13 AM
Thankyou very much to those of you who have helped me out with info, as a cadet journalist its a bit daunting to stick your neck out and ask about things that may end up making you feel a bit silly. But i really appreciate those guys that were kind enough to give me a useful response, and a bit of further info.
To those guys who felt it necessary to bag and embarrass a young lady...shame on you. I bet you're always the ones with the 'big fish who got away' stories.

bidkev
19-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Thankyou very much to those of you who have helped me out with info, as a cadet journalist its a bit daunting to stick your neck out and ask about things that may end up making you feel a bit silly. But i really appreciate those guys that were kind enough to give me a useful response, and a bit of further info.
To those guys who felt it necessary to bag and embarrass a young lady...shame on you. I bet you're always the ones with the 'big fish who got away' stories.

Aaaaaaaaaah! You sound like you'll probably become a very successful journalist. Courting controversy already eh? ;D

kev

Journalists and the very stupid have one thing in common: Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering. ;D

bidkev
19-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Forgot a little advice. You have to be thick skinned if you're to be a journalist. You have to be prepared to be bagged and take it on the chin.

The bagging arises because of the public's general perception that most journos are dishonest in their reporting. They tend to report what they think the public wants to hear and not what was actually said to them. You have to look *past* personality and actually *listen* to what is being said and *why* it is being said. Then *you* can draw conclusions but keep them to yourself. It is up to the readers to draw *their* conclusions from *your* (hopefully) honest reporting. It is not for you to put words into their mouths as you have here in drawing conclusions that *you* as an individual are being bagged.

*All* comment is relevant to a journo, and any "personalising" of your source can lead to your source "shutting down". You will lose a likely "asset" whether you like that person's comment, or not.

cheers

kev

Don't take life too seriously, you won't get out alive. ;D

sarahjane79
19-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Thankyou so much for the advice. Although it does sound suspiciously like it came from the mouth of one of those experts you were talking about earlier...
Not serious darling, just have a dry sense of humour.

bidkev
19-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Touche :D

Good luck with it.

kev

Expert, n.: Someone who comes from out of town and shows slides. ;D

Zeeke
19-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Expert... Drip under pressure.. !

Tim

sf17fisherman
19-01-2006, 02:06 PM
sarah jane if you want to do a report then do the report about the facts of the bull shark and why they travle these kilometers upriver into freash water to birth and stay untill thay are large enoght to survive in open water

also in your report maybe instead of makeing a natraul intintive shark out to be tha bad one you put some blame on the goverment for allowing the reclaiming of swamp and wetlands just so a couple more hundred people can say they have a waterfrount home

yeh a few of us on here are negitive against jernos and the media buts thats only because we are sick to death of sharks being labled maneaters and eating machines
anyone that says that has never fished on the reefs while the chinamen leather jackets are around ;D

bushbeachboy
19-01-2006, 06:19 PM
Hi Sarah,
Welcome to Ausfish. Hope you've got a good sense of humour.
As for sharks, they make great cat food.
Cheers mate

shano
19-01-2006, 09:43 PM
say hi to john king for me sarah!! ;)

cuzzamundi
19-01-2006, 10:47 PM
great definition of an expert kev!!!

sarah, there's an old buddhist adage. cant remember the exact wording, but something along the lines of embarrassment being borne of the super ego!!!! maybe it applies, maybe not - i know nothing about you. but what i do know is that when you ask for an objective account of a subject dear to many on here, you must expect emotive responses. i'm surprised you haven't already developed an instinctual resilience, being a journo and all. good luck with that.

cuzza

drevil
20-01-2006, 07:30 AM
When it comes to journos, its all about respecting (and trusting) the ones that you know report fairly and turning your back on those that just sensationalise and report bullsh!t.

Often it's the style of paper or publication that dictates the angle of the story and the pressure put in a journalist to come up with a story that sell.

Let's see what Sarah puts out and use that as the basis for if whether we want to trust her - not our own bias against the media.

Darryl
20-01-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm with Drevil , you cant label a person until you see what they are made of.

Good luck with your story Sara..

Darryl

fish2eat
20-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Imagine if sheep and cattle had newspapers........

wouldn't they label us humans as mean predators ???

at least we could eat their journalists to keep them quiet

gogecko
20-01-2006, 02:48 PM
I was happy to help Sarah over the phone and tell her about my shark sighting. I cant beleive some of you guys wouldnt want to help her also. Shes a nice young journo who was the first to admit she didnt know much about fishing.

She did come to the right place to ask about it , or did she? What else is she supposed to do?

cheers
Andrew

shaman
20-01-2006, 04:02 PM
I cant beleive some of you guys wouldnt want to help her also. who was the first to admit she didnt know much about fishing.

She did come to the right place to ask about it , or did she? What else is she supposed to do?

cheers
Andrew

HERE, HERE Andrew. you beat me too it. At least her research is out in the real world not out of some body elses crap reporting or quoting some laboratory based boofhead!!!!!

bidkev
20-01-2006, 04:22 PM
I was happy to help Sarah over the phone and tell her about my shark sighting. I cant beleive some of you guys wouldnt want to help her also. Shes a nice young journo who was the first to admit she didnt know much about fishing.

cheers
Andrew

Just *why* would anyone want to run a story on sharks in the Coomera River, if not to sensationalise it? Sharks are hardly of any interest to the public unless they are portrayed as evil monsters ripping someone to pieces.

On every occasion when there has been an "incident" locally then almost immediately afterwards stories have been run in the rags and tv, of fishos out hunting 'em in the canals. The day after the amity incident a fisho was shown with a shark taken from a canal...would they even have bothered running that story unless it was enhanced by the prevoius days incident? I doubt it.

If the fishos enjoy the publicityand court it, then fair enough, but they must be aware of the downside of courting this publicity. It has already been mentioned, and no doubt will further be mentioned to the fisho's detriment, that we (the fishos) are the evil buggers that attract the sharks with our burleying, gutting and baiting etc. Only a matter of time before the canals would be closed to fishos. No matter how remote a possibility that may be, then why risk courting it by highlighting a downside of us fishing there?

It's a fact of life that when things go wrong, then others' will look for someone to blame and the press is a past master at throwing blame in the wrong direction. If you have followed the "aftermath" of the latest incident you will have seen that many "experts" have already been qouted along the lines of "the shark is simply doing what comes naturally" and we (the fishos) have encouraged them by giving them an easy feed with our fishing habits.

All that said, the press *could* play a vital part in warning others of the dangers but unfortunately, I have never seen this as their intent.

Personally Andrew, I think that the thread was rather lighthearted and any "bagging" that you or Sarah perceived, was not aimed at her personally but at the media in general. Even if she had've been "well bagged" then she should take heart that it is all part of her training, and we ain't chraging her for that training ;D........even shop assistants get bagged by customers if a product isn't up to scratch and after all, the assistant only sells the product, they don't make it. I think journos have a "greater hand" in their product than a sales assistant and should therefore expect to be questioned and criticised more as to their product.

kev

A sense of humour is a sense of proportion

shaman
20-01-2006, 05:36 PM
..even shop assistants get bagged by customers if a product isn't up to scratch and after all, the assistant only sells the product, they don't make it. I think journos have a "greater hand" in their product than a sales assistant and should therefore expect to be questioned and criticised more as to their product.

kev

A sense of humour is a sense of proportion[/quote]

Some good points but shouldn't you sample a persons service or product before you bag it ???? :-/ :-/

bidkev
20-01-2006, 06:00 PM
..even shop assistants get bagged by customers if a product isn't up to scratch and after all, the assistant only sells the product, they don't make it. I think journos have a "greater hand" in their product than a sales assistant and should therefore expect to be questioned and criticised more as to their product.

kev

A sense of humour is a sense of proportion

Some good points but shouldn't you sample a persons service or product before you bag it ???? :-/ :-/[/quote]

Yes, which is why I made the point of saying that I didn't think that it was Sarah herself getting bagged, (not in my case anyway), but journalism in general. We've all sampled that and I think we agree it leaves a lot to be desired. It seems only natural (to me) that when you have sampled a duff product, then a product made in a similar fashion on similar machinery is likely to be viewd with suspicion irrespective of the person operating the machine.

kev

We could all take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Mad_fisherman
20-01-2006, 06:36 PM
IF kev was not a married man i reckon he would be in......

I can say that love because i have no big fish stories about the one that got away because i am yet to catch a thumper

Cheers

MAD!

shaman
20-01-2006, 06:41 PM
[quote author=shaman link=1137557544/15#26 date=1137742578]

Yes, which is why I made the point of saying that I didn't think that it was Sarah herself getting bagged, (not in my case anyway), but journalism in general. We've all sampled that and I think we agree it leaves a lot to be desired. It seems only natural (to me) that when you have sampled a duff product, then a product made in a similar fashion on similar machinery is likely to be viewd with suspicion irrespective of the person operating the machine.

kev

Isn't that a form of generalisation???
Not unlike referring to all sharks as maneaters.
Apparently it's not only the journo's who can misinform the public.

bidkev
20-01-2006, 07:13 PM
[quote author=shaman link=1137557544/15#26 date=1137742578]

kev

Isn't that a form of generalisation???
Not unlike referring to all sharks as maneaters.
Apparently it's not only the journo's who can misinform the public.

That could be argued yes, but that isn't the "argument" here. What was suggested was that Sarah was being bagged. What I am trying to illustrate is that this is not so. It is journalism *generally* that is being bagged.

Not all sharks are maneaters but that doen't mean that the sea isn't dangerous. Not all journos are "untrustworthy" but that doen't meant that the process of newspapers reporting isn't dishonest. No matter how trustworthy, honest or noble a journo may be, the "product" is always going to pander to the editor's wishes, the political leanings of the proprietor, and what the general public want, which takes us right back to my first post in which I said:

"I doubt it mate and it ain't the journo's fault. It's simply "food for the masses". The majority of public want blood, drama, and smut and unfortunately, that seems to be the stuff that sells the most papers. The Pomms are past masters at it

Britains best selling tabloid. Makes me want to throw up. If you can get past the sex bits have a read of the shark attack.....Journalism at it's finest

http://www.thesun.co.uk/section/0,,5,00.html "

To simplify, We get what we want, and speaking of generalising, the editor's generalise as to what the pubic wants. "We" get what "we" deserve, but that doesn't mean that you or I deserve it.

kev

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names, and all are different colours, but they all have to learn to live in the same box.

shaman
20-01-2006, 07:49 PM
Point taken Kingtin. :)

I still wish Sarah luck and will be paying particular attention to her article.
I hope for her sake it's good and fair or I might become a touch jaded also.

Cheers, Shaman.

Teenagers,
tired of being harassed by your stupid parents??
ACT NOW!!!!!
Move out! Get a job! Pay your own bills!
Do it now while you still know everything!!

bidkev
20-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Point taken Kingtin. :)

I still wish Sarah luck and will be paying particular attention to her article.
I hope for her sake it's good and fair or I might become a touch jaded also.

Cheers, Shaman. ;)

Teenagers,
tired of being harassed by your stupid parents??
ACT NOW!!!!!
Move out! Get a job! Pay your own bills!
Do it now while you still know everything!!

I wish her luck also. "Juniors" have a bloody hard time in the workforce. Just when they think they are striking out on their own they tend to get "bullied" into compliance:'(

You responded to something that you thought was unfair so I don't think you're one to get jaded easily [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

kev

The real act of discovery is not in finding new lands, but in seeing with new eyes

Darryl
20-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Sara maybe you could do a story about a crazy pom getting towed around crusoe in a tinnie hooked to a shark?.

Bloody lunatic that bloke, just cant think of his name. ::) ::) ;D

Burley_Boy
20-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi Sarah,
Be nice to see a story that outlines how common sharks are and have been over a multitude of years in these canals and what they commonly feed on ( the reason they are there in the fisrt place) and how often there have been attacks as opposed to how common they are.
ie to inform people that this is not any new news but about as common as mullet.

Good luck,
If you are actually serious and if you want facts on fish related stuff then I don't know of a QLD chap that has done more research of unbiased nature than Ern Grant. We refer to his guide to fishes as the Bible and the guy knows his stuff. If you're serious then give him a call, lives in Brisbane and not too difficult to contact.

Yes reporters are not held in high regard when it comes to accuracy or ojectivity on this site but if you're different then you have a chance of earning some respect here and getting stacks of info. Post a copy of your article once its done and you will certainly get a response on here.
cheers BB

gogecko
21-01-2006, 08:41 AM
I agree with kingtin, the bagging was aimed at journos in general, and not sarah. I also agree many journos just sensationalise things for sales. I just thought it was nice that a young journo did some good research before printing an article.

On the phone, she asked me could a bull shark grow large enough to bump a kid off a kayak? I answered yes, although they are more likely to do this by accident than deliberate. I referred her to Paul Burt who had just run a story on sharks in canals on 9 GC news, and told her to research the GC Bulletin on the shark attacks in Miami and Mermaid canals a few years ago. She is new to the coast and knows none of this, until now.

Her article in the Riverland news is only available in the Coomera Oxenford district. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Sarah, if your reading this, dont worry, you didnt start a sh*t fight, we all do this all the time here. We really love each other here. My dad used to say 'we are not having an arguement, we are just having a discussion'.

cheers
Andrew

bidkev
21-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Sara maybe you could do a story about a crazy pom getting towed around crusoe in a tinnie hooked to a shark?.

;D The deckie got 5 minutes video footage of me being towed on a knee board and only 30 seconds on me being towed by a shark....go figure! ::) ;D

kev

The fastest way to find something you've lost is to replace it.

tuna44
21-01-2006, 12:16 PM
Hi Sarah. I've fished the Coomera for years. Seen many sharks, however seen many people swimming/sking/kayaking etc too. To date i've never heard of anyone having a close call with them. Twice sharks approx 1m each have jumped clear of the water within 10m of the boat. Why i don't know, maybe the boat scared them or they were dislodging something from their mouth? Don't know.
Many of these skiers don't actually realise the number swimming beneith? I can say is that they have always been there in prolific numbers, and it's better for the users of the waterway be made aware that sharks are previlent. The water's their home not ours and we must respect that!

fish2eat
21-01-2006, 12:38 PM
OK forgive me for being a cynic......BUT......I agree with Kev(Kingtin) about sensationalising stories.

You should all consider this carefully,

1. A story went to air on the TV about fishos catching sharks at Stockton Beach NSW and blew it up. Consequences, NSW govt bans shark fishing at Stockton

2. Just last week some fishos caught a shark off a jetty at Port Phillip Bay. TV station offerred them MONEY for their story and they took it. Result, Vic govt is currently drafting legislation to ban shark fishing in that location.

SEE WHERE THIS IS HEADING GUYS ??????????? helloooooo

sf17fisherman
21-01-2006, 12:38 PM
I agree with kingtin, the bagging was aimed at journos in general, and not sarah. I also agree many journos just sensationalise things for sales. I just thought it was nice that a young journo did some good research before printing an article.

On the phone, she asked me could a bull shark grow large enough to bump a kid off a kayak? I answered yes, although they are more likely to do this by accident than deliberate. I referred her to Paul Burt who had just run a story on sharks in canals on 9 GC news, and told her to research the GC Bulletin on the shark attacks in Miami and Mermaid canals a few years ago. She is new to the coast and knows none of this, until now.

Her article in the Riverland news is only available in the Coomera Oxenford district. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Sarah, if your reading this, dont worry, you didnt start a sh*t fight, we all do this all the time here. We really love each other here. My dad used to say 'we are not having an arguement, we are just having a discussion'.

cheers
Andrew

yes i too hope sarah relises i too wasn't haveing a go at her and to be honest would love to see her learn the trade the way the trade should be and thats honest unbias reporting and also wish her great things to come as it is great to see young people follow with what they love and make a job out of it

not being from the QLD area :P i would love to see the artical no matter how big or small when it comes out so please someone post it

gogecko i love your last it is so true that we aren't fighting we are haveing a chit chat
so Australian for a discussion to get a bit loud ;D ;D

The_Walrus
21-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Interesting thread.

I had a run in with a reporter in my teens and the story printed was totally inacurate and I copped some vicious bagging from fellow participants in my sport at the time.

Never trusted one since and my opinion is that they never let the truth hinder a good story.

I'll be interested to see the article when it comes out.

If the headline doesn't run along the lines of "MAN EATERS IN YOUR BACKYARD" I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've been canoeing (rivers, estuary, surf) for over 30 years and have not had any problems with the wee beasties.

Good fun to catch ;D

Luc

Figjamm
23-01-2006, 07:16 PM

;D The deckie got 5 minutes video footage of me being towed on a knee board and only 30 seconds on me being towed by a shark....go figure! ::) ;D

Maybe she figured there was less chance of seeing you on a knee board again than being towed around in a tinnie ;D

bidkev
23-01-2006, 08:34 PM

Maybe she figured there was less chance of seeing you on a knee board again than being towed around in a tinnie #;D

She'd be right. I'll continue to verminate (I think I just created a new verb) ;D but refuse to be keelhauled again!

kev

There are two types of people who can tell you the truth about yourself: an enemy who has lost his temper and a friend who loves you dearly.

sarahjane79
24-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Crikey's! Kingtin you sound like a bloody old woman. You'd argue with yourself if there was no-one else.
I asked for your stories on sharks because OBVIOUSLY it's an issue which arouses great fear amongst the general public which i suspect is largely due to a lack of knowledge on the subject, and yes i certainly agree, the media plays a large part in that. I am shit scared of sharks, and i thought by posting a note on this website i could at least become better informed myself and perhaps form some sought of more informative article through you guys.
Kingtin, you say it's ok to make judgements of journo's from a couple of bad ones...well im glad YOU weren't the first fisherman I met ...!!! # ;D

sarahjane79
24-01-2006, 09:10 AM
By the way, the story comes out tomorrow and its called 'not a bad shark tale'.

Hookem_Herby
24-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Sarahjane,
Good for you for finding Ausfish and giving us a chance to contribute.
You sound open minded enough so I'm sure you'll provide an objective point of view in your article.
Have a think about what Andrew (sf17fisherman) has said about bull sharks, as they are incredible creatures (from a scentific perspective).
Best of luck,
Herby
p.s. Kev, I think I've heard you say that some days you feel (like) an old woman! lol

Hookem_Herby
24-01-2006, 09:19 AM
By the way, the story comes out tomorrow and its called 'not a bad shark tale'.

Could you post a copy of the article on ausfish for us to read .... I, and many other members, don't live anywhere near redland bay. ::)

Thanks,
Herby

sf17fisherman
24-01-2006, 09:44 AM
as herby said please post a link or even the artical here for us to read

if you couldn't tell i have a huge facination with sharks and find the fear is well out of place and i do put a huge amount of blame for that on movies like jaw

this is where i have become cynical of the media (also with the networks showing shows on sharks from tossers like vic hislop and the ten deadlest sharks)
i do hope you don't go down that track as it would be great for once to have someone in media on the fishermans and fishes side
(who knows do reports of fish stocks and you may get invited out for a fish on a few boats ;))

sarahjane79
24-01-2006, 09:48 AM
Great, thanks. I love fishing, I can even put my own bait on my hook. cool hey. :-*

Hookem_Herby
24-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Kev's probably got room for 1 more aboard the Whittley!!! ;D ;D :P

gogecko
24-01-2006, 10:35 AM
Speaking of Jaws, did anybody notice the connection to the recent Amity Pt attack? The town in Jaws was named Amity.

Im suprised none of the Brissy journos picked up on this. Theyre probably too young to remember.

Andrew

bidkev
24-01-2006, 10:37 AM
<snip>

p.s. Kev, I think I've heard you say that some days you feel (like) an old woman! lol

Mate, some days *any* woman'll do ;D

kev

Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

bidkev
24-01-2006, 10:48 AM
Kev's probably got room for 1 more aboard the Whittley!!! #;D ;D :P

Ssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh! [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] ;D

kev

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves

sarahjane79
24-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Great! Hey Kev, I'll be waiting at the boat ramp... :D

fish2eat
24-01-2006, 11:55 AM
Despite all the requests, none of the posts from Sarahjane have acknowledged the request to post the article here.......why is that???

Are we all mesmerised by a female??

sarahjane79
24-01-2006, 12:09 PM
Maybe they've been out at sea for a while #;) .
As i said in an earlier post, the article hasn't gone to print yet. when it does, i will post it, although its going to be a long post..? How about this...if you'd like a copy you can email me your postal address and i can send you a paper. sarahh@riverlandsnews.com.
oh and thankyou for your message herby!

bidkev
24-01-2006, 12:40 PM
Great! Hey Kev, I'll be waiting at the boat ramp... :D

A rod awaits you ;) ;D

kev

Keep your head and your heart in the right direction and you will not have to worry about your feet.

Hookem_Herby
24-01-2006, 05:43 PM
oh and thankyou for your message herby!

What message sarahjane??? :-? :o I don't recall sending you a message or email! :-/ :P
I merely asked if you'd be kind enough to post the article AFTER it went to press and was released since I won't get to see it any other way. 8-)
I think you should post it here rather than be FLOODED with emails requests. Atho that's one way to increase circulation I suppose. lol
Kev, looks like you got yourself a new deckie. ;D

Cheers,
Herby

sarahjane79
25-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Sarahjane,
You sound open minded enough so I'm sure you'll provide an objective point of view in your article.
Have a think about what Andrew (sf17fisherman) has said about bull sharks, as they are incredible creatures (from a scentific perspective).
Best of luck,
Herby

Herby, this is the message i just said thanks to. I have yet to be flooded with even one email so im not too concerned but thanks for the advice. :)

Hoges
25-01-2006, 10:04 AM
Sarahjane, as mentioned earlier it would be easier if you just copied and pasted the article in this thread (Or a link to it) The length of it should not be a concern!

“Indecision is the basis of flexibility”

Hookem_Herby
25-01-2006, 11:53 AM
Sarahjane,
Best of luck,
Herby

Herby, this is the message i just said thanks to. I have yet to be flooded with even one email so im not too concerned but thanks for the advice. #:)

Oh right, thanks for that. Thought you were talking about a PM or an email msg.
No problem at all. Like I said, was good that you paid the site a visit and asked for info.
Look forward to seeing your article and reading your fishing report from your trip out with Kev. lmao ;D
Tight lines,
Herby

gogecko
25-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Ive just read sarahs article in the paper. The thrust of the article is that most fishos reckon most media overdo shark stories, and that theyre in the river all the time, no cause for concern.

Im sure she will post it here soon.

Looks like Sarah is different from the rest. Did the ausfish guys have much influence on your story? Careful sarah, ausfish is addictive, and you wont get any work done. You can always go fishing with your new buddies.

cheers
Andrew

fish2eat
25-01-2006, 01:03 PM
If that's the case , I apologise for scepticism

been bitten more by journo's than sharks....

Swerve
31-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Sarah,

Many thanks for sending me out the article and it was well written and no bagging towards the sharks. Rather that they have always been there and you have more chance getting killed by a bus when crossing the road.

Over Christmas we were down there skiing and hence my intrest. 5 watched a good documentary years ago on the Bull shark and that they bread up the Brisbane river at Ipswich.

steve

werewolf
31-01-2006, 05:22 PM
okay its finally been published, but we still cant read it! thanks for trying though :'(

sarahjane79
02-02-2006, 08:45 AM
Unfortunately I cant just type out the story on the site here. my editor wants people to read the whole damn paper. So just email me as i said before and i'll send you one, or just put up your postal address here. Simple! :D

2rods
02-02-2006, 11:19 AM
:o what are you mob down south worried about sharks for???? try living in the Top End. We have big things that eat you on land and in the water..... (crocs). Makes life much more fun. ;D