PDA

View Full Version : post your funny fishing stories

TIM-DONSELAAR
29-01-2006, 10:42 PM
my funniest story is from a couple of years ago, i hired a tinny at golden beach (caloundra) for a day of fishing with me and my fiancee,after a few hours of fishing i wanted to stretch my legs with a bit of a walk around so we headed over to the tip of bribie island,i got my fiancee to drive it up close to the shore and it looked around knee high so i jumped off the front of the tinny when i hit the water it was a bit deeper then expected and my feet never touched the bottom so i pulled myself back into the tinny and got her to nudge the front of the tinny right up in the sand before i jumped out again,the fiancee thought it was hilarious.

was lucky i only had my wallet in my pocket and not my mobile phone

cheers tim #;D ;D ;D

juicyfruit
30-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Thumps thinks it’s funny every time he goes out fishing and I'm with him. I'm a bit of a clumsy [smiley=clown.gif].

Well I think that is what he is laughing at.

Might be the way I rename every fish species we catch...eg, the Flathead that was hooked in the bum is now called the Poofter Fish instead of Flathead etc.

He might be laughing at the fact that I shed any femineity I may have....

Hell Hun!!!!! WHAT is it that’s so funny when we go fishing together, is it my lookssssssss :'(......sorry female moment. lol

Don't have a particular funny moment whilst fishing, but sure do have fun moments whilst fishing.

Juicy

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2006, 03:55 PM
My Grandfather and Uncle were fishing the river in the 14ft tinny.
My Grandfather tuned in on the spot he wanted and said "Righto, throw the anchor over"
My Uncle obliged, as he was very keen to fish, but inexperienced in the boat....
After a few minutes my Grandfather noticed a bit of drift and thought the anchor must be dragging. When he looked out the front of the boat, there was no anchor rope in the water....
He asked my Uncle "Did that anchor have a rope on it?"
To which my Uncle replied "Nope", still blissfully unaware of what he had done...

thumps
30-01-2006, 04:04 PM
fishing in Tassie ...off Tasman island

my best Mate hooked a variety of wrasse thats pink in colour... hooked in the butthole

from then on it was known as a pink poofter fish thats always looking for a pr**k in the ar*e

still to this day..the Charter operater tells me...every time one comes over the side..he thinks of my mate

so the flathead thing just follows a moment... ;)

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2006, 04:06 PM
Down in Tassie, two blokes (relatively inexperienced) were tuna fishing out of St. Helens.
They reported on the radio that they had a double hookup of big fish, the fish had gone deep and it looks like they were in for a good fight.

2 hours later, they were still on the fish. Big Yellowfin was the call, as there had been a few around the 60kg landed previously that week.
A few boats had cruised past the two lucky anglers, who could be seen (one on each side of the boat) with the short strokers and 15kg line working to its limits.

Shortly after the two hour mark, they were seen trolling again, but had gone silent on the radio. Apart from checking in on the regular skeds, they would say nothing about the two big fish.

Most people assumed they had lost both fish and were not in a talking mood...

The truth came out later, after a lot of peer pressure.

They had hooked two 5kg Albacore, which had tangled themselves together under the boat !

Over 2 hours later they realised they were pulling against each other on opposite sides of the boat...

They did land the Albacore though!

thumps
30-01-2006, 04:09 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Grand Marlin....i can relate to a few of those boofheads down there ;D ;D ;D

Grand_Marlin
30-01-2006, 05:09 PM
Doesnt look good for us Thumps, just as well we got out while we still could!!

theoldlegend
30-01-2006, 06:12 PM
Grand marlin,

Good one !! ;D ;D Loved it !!

That's the sort of thing I'd do !! :-/

TOL

thumps
30-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Don't have a particular funny moment whilst fishing, but sure do have fun moments whilst fishing.

Juicy

i think its funny you lost that Barra 4 winds from the boat ;D ;D ;D ;D

and followed it up with a double cattie hookup on one lure ;D ;D ;D ;D

rando
30-01-2006, 06:33 PM
Many years ago a mate of mine was teaching me how to sail . As he had a restaurant we usually went out after work on saturday night, and would therefore be launching well after midnight. We put in down at Rudi Marrs one night and after the pick was down we had a couple of beers and hit the sack.
I usually wake at first light, but because he was working so hard he would usually not surface till 8-9 o,clock.
He was, & still is, not a fan of fishing, doesnt like a mess on his boat.
To pass the time while he slept i wet a line.
On this occassion I was using a L.O.K (our lunch) for bait and got smashed by a monster bream.
As I swung the hooked fish inboard over the transom it spat the hook and landed on my mates chest where he was sleeping on the floor of the boat, then slid into his sleeping bag and continued to flap and wriggle on his chest inside his bag. I was cacking myself by now .
The poor bugger
Eyes still closed a tired and disgruntled voice says "OK OK I GET THE MESSAGE, YOU WANT TO GO SAILING!!!!

That was more than twenty years ago and he never mentions it. but I still get akick out of telling it.
rando

Reefmaster
30-01-2006, 06:45 PM
A quick one that comes to my mind was a few years ago when we were fishing Percy Islands out from Stanage Bay (Rockhampton) and after a good fishing session we would anchor in calm waters and clean the fish we just caught. We would anchor on good bottom in 20 mtrs of water with the current roaring while cleaning them and put the lines out to pick up the odd fish. We cleaned all our fish and i noticed the rod with a bend and some weight on it. I jumped on the rod and starting pulling it in and much to my amazment i had hooked one of the big Hussar we only just filleted but what was even funnier was it actually was hooked in the mouth. :o :o :o :o :o No joke
What are the chance's of that :o

Hook must have been just in the right place at the right time. :) 8-) :o

Regards Greg

lippa
30-01-2006, 10:47 PM
a mate and i were casting for prawns in the mouth of nundah creek on a rainy day. tony was so pre-ocupied at looking at his new custom built net that he never put the loop around his wrist before he cast, well we all know what happened the whole net landed in the piss, in shock at losing his new net he belly flopped into the water after it, he got it, standing in ankle deep water

juicyfruit
31-01-2006, 06:38 AM

Juicy

i think its funny you lost that Barra 4 winds from the boat ;D ;D ;D ;D

and followed it up with a double cattie hookup on one lure ;D ;D ;D ;D

Have you been told today?

Bream_Reaper01
31-01-2006, 07:09 AM
Mine's along the lines of the 1st story.Me and the brother in law decided to join a fishing club a few years back.On the first trip we had to meet for breifing at a certain sandbar.He jumped out of the boat only 3 to 4 feet from the said sandbar and was down up to his neck in water.At least we found a nice hole for later reference.I'm sure we provided comedy releif for the 20 other people that were there for the breifing.

bidkev
31-01-2006, 04:39 PM
We're invincible when we're young! ;D ;D Every word of this is true, just to illustrate what a prat I was when younger.

My first boat was in partnership with a lad who worked on a boating lake (Stanley Park Blackpool UK) He managed to acquire one of these marine ply boats (14ft) with the inboard removed. First up we had to seal the prop hole buy an old Seagull engine and then build a trailer which we did with 4x2.

Down to the beach........you guessed it...the bloody trailer floated! ;D

Anyway, we got the boat off and put to sea (comedy of errors this) ;D First fish into the boat is a 6ft conger eel which immediately latched onto me foot. Screaming at me mate to dong it one with the "priest" (a wrench) he duly did, missed it and went straight through the floor of the boat! After subduing the eel we stuffed some rags into the split and tried to start the engine to return to shore.....nothing! Out came the oars with the wind picking up and water lapping at our ankles.

Safe on shore, home, and rethink the trailer and patch the hole (A piece of ply held in position with tar and tarred over ;D.

Next trip, we decided to go with the old wooden trailer one more time as we were building a steel one but couldn't wait to get fishing. Recovering the boat the winch packed in so we lifted the trailer up and down expecting the boat to slide along the trailer. It broke it's back! Last seen floating into the distance whilst we loaded all the gear onto our old Landie.

Next trip, old steel trailer so no probs there, and a beat up 13 ft glass dinghy. Flat calm sea so venture further afield. The glass gauge is showing low fuel so attempts to refill whilst on the move. I knew little about how the old seagulls work so didn't take care........Bang! I'm in the water in the middle of November!. Told later by my mate (when I'd recovered from pneumonia) that my arm must have brushed the "fly wheel" and that he could see it coming.......partnership dissolved!

I could go on but I don't think I learned *anything* back then. Very little money and even less common sense. I Just kept on taking risks with crap rigs simply for the love of fishing ::) ;D

kev

One evening an old Cherokee Indian told his grandson about a "battle" that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between 2 wolves" inside us all. One is Evil. It is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego. The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

rando
31-01-2006, 09:27 PM
Beautiful Kev,
the parabel that is,
dont want you lot thinking I bat for the other team ;D ;D
rando

bidkev
31-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Beautiful Kev,
the parabel that is,
dont want you lot thinking I bat for the other team ;D ;D
rando

Bugger! For a minute there, I thought I'd scored! ;) ;D

Our five senses are incomplete without the sixth, a sense of humor.

Sportfish_5
31-01-2006, 11:38 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Grand Marlin....i can relate to a few of those boofheads down there ;D ;D ;D

Thats pretty funny !! ;D ;D ;D ::) 8-)

bignick
02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
This did not happen to me; it happened to my Father, so I guess it's true. He was working on his own on the back deck of his old prawn trawler in Moreton Bay one day a few years ago. It was not a particularly good day for him, as he kept getting the nets snagged, the boards bogged, all the usual trials and tribulations that go along with that caper. Anyway, things took a turn for the worse when, every shot, he was catching things like old tyres, Stingrays, Happy Moments, all the good things. After yet another shot revealed the nets were full of tyres, he stood on the deck, raised his hands skywards, looked up and shouted to the Heavens in total frustration, "WHY ME?" It was at this point that an unseen bird flew over his boat and SHAT right on his glasses. I think he packed up his bongoes and went in after that.

Cheers,
NICK.

sarahjane79
02-02-2006, 09:17 AM
I wanted to fish by myself this one time and I went down to the rocks at tallebudgeera creek with my new fishing rod that my dad bought me. There were all these other very experienced fisherman there and I felt a little intimidated. ANyway, I went to throw my line in and lost my grip on the rod and the whole thing flew out of my hands and into the choppy sea below. They all stared at me, and so i picked up my bucket and ran home. :'(

uripper
02-02-2006, 09:19 AM
Attack Barra

This is more strange than funny.

Friend of mine & a mate were fishing Haughton River south of Townsville circa1995 – anchored with baits drifting down onto promising snag – after slow session they decide to call it quits & start hauling in when a medium size barra just leaps out of the water beside the boat and crashes head on into my friends nose then falls into the boat – it was a Haines 146C cuddy so it was a fair jump – he goes down like a poleaxed whatever with the “raw” fish thrashing around the back of the boat in a tangle of lines – after the commotion settles down, one of them notices a line hanging out of the fishes mouth & over the side into the water – they bring it in & back track it to one of the rods they had out #:o

My friend was a bit of a known prankster but the bloke who was with him that day is straight up & after much investigation by all & sundry was accepted as fair dinkum

Storey verified by reliable witness & hard evidence ie the fish, bloodied nose & 2 black eyes # ;)
– believe it or not

Mal M

fishingnottake
02-02-2006, 10:34 AM
I wanted to fish by myself this one time and I went down to the rocks at tallebudgeera creek #with my new fishing rod that my dad bought me. There were all these other very experienced fisherman there and I felt a little intimidated. #ANyway, I went to throw my line in and lost my grip on the rod and the whole thing flew out of my hands and into the choppy sea below. They all stared at me, and so i picked up my bucket and ran home. #:'(
i wondered who's rod that was i pulled up 8-), do you still fish talle?

Gazza
02-02-2006, 12:30 PM
take your pick ;D ;D ;D
the (3) outside boat clips do it for me....last one is classic!!!

"ooh my god.....he spooled me"
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.zippyvideos.com/106228711791415.html

Canoedle
02-02-2006, 12:41 PM
;D That's gotta hurt!

sarahjane79
02-02-2006, 02:12 PM
I wanted to fish by myself this one time and I went down to the rocks at tallebudgeera creek #with my new fishing rod that my dad bought me. There were all these other very experienced fisherman there and I felt a little intimidated. #ANyway, I went to throw my line in and lost my grip on the rod and the whole thing flew out of my hands and into the choppy sea below. They all stared at me, and so i picked up my bucket and ran home. #:'(
i wondered who's rod that was i pulled up #8-), do you still fish talle?

Hahaha. They must have thought I was mad, throwing a good rod away. No, not much anymore, as i dont have a rod... ;D

tshort
03-02-2006, 07:10 AM
God where do I start, I've done the man overboard thing too. Back in the dark ages when I was first allowed to take old mans boat out by myself, was coming back from early morning session down the pin. Coming up to cabbage tree boat ramp had little brother up the front ready to jump off so boat didnt hit bottom. Cold winter morning, chrystal clear water, I watched closely then gave the order to jump, which he dutifully did and disappeared into the depths.
Motoring into Mayo's boat ramp on the logan to pick up a mate dad expected mate standing on the concrete ramp to take the front of boat before we hit, he didnt, just stood there and watched us run aground. Same little brother as before was not ready and launched off his feet head first into the bucket of thawing prawns.
A couple opf years ago a mate asked if I thought I could find my way to check the pots as it was well after dark and no moon. I've said yep I can do this and took off into the night, only one light marker then sand banks and Melalueca sticks. Using the outline of islands against the night sky as a guide I managed to hit two sticks and have them scrape down the side of the boat, scared the hell out of both of us but of course I just said "told you I could find the marks". On the way back did fine, missed the stick and all the markers except for one. Mate was sitting in front facing back and looking at the stars and even naming a few, as we were nowhere near civilisation you can imagine the sky then wack, ran the V nosed punt dead centre into the second last marker of the channel, Mate lept off seat onto floor. Next trip up that way he took his boat.

al-straddie
05-02-2006, 12:09 AM
A couple of months back I took a young mate down the Pin by boat. we found a patch of tailor on the chew, and as always happens, boats came from everywhere to muscle in on the action.

My young mate(not very experienced) cast out, took five winds and exclaimed "I'm on". At that very moment I was looking at a nearby boat, watching the kid on board hauling against his rod. Out of the corner of my eye I caught the sight of 2 slugs suspended slightly above the water. :o

When I finally stopped laughing and started breathing again, I gently let my mate know he'd hooked the others kids lure, and did't actually have the big 1. ;D ;D ;D. Think I dented his ego, but not his desire to fish. ;)

Freeeedom
05-02-2006, 02:11 PM
This one happened this Thursday on my recent trip to Noosa North Shore - see report just posted. I was helping a couple of old guys who were camped near me but were pretty inexperienced fishos. They tagged along when I went after some dart in the afternoon sessions and I pulled a few worms for them to help them get in touch with some fish. One of them was doing OK but the other wasn't able to cast far enough to get amongst the fish. Finally a decent dart grabbed his bait and he was into it. He then proceeded to get a bunch of grapes at the reel so that he couldn't wind the fish in. He did the only thing possible and ran backwards up the beach until the fish was flapping on the sand just above the wave line. But before he could get down to the fish a big white sea eagle swoops down and grabs the fish. Since he still had the tangle on the reel he couldn't even play the bird, so it ended up Eagle 1 - Neil 0.
Cheers Freeeedom