PDA

View Full Version : (Photos) Back to Basics – Memorable Moments

trueblue
02-02-2006, 05:47 PM
G’day all

A few years ago, I was sitting talking with a mate over a few beers and the latest Mo-Tackle mag when the weather was too rough and we couldn’t get out wide for a fish.

We were putting together a combined Mo-Tackle order for some braid and a couple of flash reels, when my mate asked if I remembered when as kids we never had any of the flash kit that is so widely available today. We talked for a while about using cheap rods, cheap Alvey reels with no drag, and how we used to catch even big fish ok with them as young fellas.

We both recalled times long gone by when using an Alvey reel with no drag, and a big fish would put on a good run and you would have to use your hand under the reel to act as the drag, sometimes getting quite hot. We reminisced times gone by for a few more beers and then we sorted out our Mo-Tackle order, and I never thought much more about it.

Then a few weeks later the missus asks if I want to go to the beach for a picnic. I say ok, and the little nipper asks me if I am going to take a rod. Is the pope a catholic I say, and off to the shed to grab some kit.

Then as I am looking to select a spinning setup out of the rack I remembered about the conversation about using the old Alvey kit. So without any particular reason, I grabbed an old little beach rod, and an even older Alvey. The line on the Alvey was stuffed as it had been sitting in a box for years, so I changed it over to some newer 15 lb mono that I had lying about and away we went.

I can’t say I took anything too seriously that day. I lobbed out a pilchard bait, and settled down under the shade of a tree and had a few beers enjoying the tropical day.

Next I know the rods going off and I go bolting down the beach to pick it up before the line goes slack. Not too long and I realize that its not the usual flattie on the other end.

It had been a long time since I had used an Alvey reel, so I copped the inevitable thumps to the fingers by the reel knobs before I got back into the swing of using my hand as my “drag setting” and keeping fingers clear of the spinning reel knobs.

My young fella was in my ear the whole time with a thousand questions, the fish was caught and released, and I had a ton of fun with old kit that hadn’t been out of the box in about 20 years.

The fish didn’t put up that much of a fight for its size; instead it was just a series of fairly long and steady runs. But this event remains with me as one of my more memorable fishing experiences, going back to basics, and it was great to have the young fella along and starting to see what it is all about.

And bless the missus for bringing the camera…

10 photos to follow. pls wait for photos...

trueblue
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
This dam thing won't let me put the rest of the photos on...

trueblue
02-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Photo # 2

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Photo # 3

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Photo # 4

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Photo # 5

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Photo # 6

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:03 PM
Photo # 7

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Photo # 8

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:04 PM
Photo # 9

trueblue
02-02-2006, 06:06 PM
Photo # 10

Last one

Was a great day with my young bloke. Very memorable.

Lone_Wolf
02-02-2006, 06:13 PM
trueblue,

top story mate, little fella will be taking those photos to show and tell I bet!!

szopen
02-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Very good story.

Old stuff works well.

robersl
02-02-2006, 06:51 PM
great read and yes remeber the alvey days and still use them all the time

finga64
02-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Excellent, that's what life is all about :)

Might be a good start for a thread with pictures with the family fishing and pictures of the Alvey in use.

bidkev
02-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Nice read mate, good photos and thanks for taking my Verminator title from me ;D Now back it up with a few catties ;D

kev

You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, quite intelligent enough.

straddie
02-02-2006, 09:07 PM
I knew Kev would be impressed with that catch ;D

At 20 years old an Alvey isn't even properly run in yet :D It would cast better if it wasn't on a spin rod though. ;)

trueblue
02-02-2006, 09:47 PM
There is a funny story behind that rod as well. I found it floating down a creek about 5 years ago, with a spin reel that had just about rotted off. But the guides and runners were still ok, so a quick bath and it got added to the collection. So, in reality, that is my least expensive rod as well.......

Big_Ren
02-02-2006, 10:22 PM
What a wonderful story and pics Trueblue. That really is what it is all about. The nipper will remember that all his life...what a memory :) Just quietly, the missus is quite the action photographer as well. A top read. Made my night.

Cheers
Paul ;)

Bream_Reaper01
03-02-2006, 08:10 AM
I finished reading this thread with a lump in my throat.It reminded me of when i was little with my dad.Awesome report/story.

Fishin_Dan
03-02-2006, 08:29 AM
I remember deep water jiggin as a kid with a big old alvey reel... We would fish in about 100m of water with thick old mono of about 100lb... Drag was you tightened the nut on the side to stop the reel spinning as fast, and held your hand on the spool (Down side was it was hard as hell to wind in!)

Awesome pictures there mate! Certainly makes you think....

Maybe that's how come all these "Barbie Doll" rods of everyone's daughters fish so well.... ;)

;D ;D ;D

fish2eat
03-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Yes, I think we can all get a bit carried away spending the big dollars, thinking that the cost of the gear increases our chances

Every now and then a story (like this one) brings us back to reality. A few weeks ago SBS showed a short doco on kids in the Torres Strait catching huge queenies, GT's and sharks on handlines off a jetty on their island. These kids were all about 8 to 12 years old, catching fish I only dream about, with gear worth less than $5. And they were having a hoot!!!!!

aussiefool
04-02-2006, 05:56 AM
A few year ago while I was working on an Aboriginal community in the Kimberley's every one and I mean everyone (except the white fellas)only went fishing with hand lines and always came home with big barra. the kiss system still works well

great story btw. the young fella will rember that day for ever and the shovle nose will grow over time in his mind

vanurose
04-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Just loved reading this post and all the threads. The photos are so good too. It just shows you how lucky we are to live in an age where we can use modern marvels(digital cameras)along with the old time Alvey reels.
It makes me angry with myself now that I threw out all our older type gear and relaced them with expensive overheads and baitcasters. Actually, I was too embarrassed to use the old Alvey's anymore, but one was over 30years old and still looked a picture. Now I feel guilty and wish I hadnt done a total cleanout of our garage.
Thanks for this wonderful story, it will make me think twice about only keeping new style fishing gear.

Angla
06-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Good one Mick,
Sorry, the computer was down and out for a while but is back up to speed now.

Good story and yes like many before me it has brought back memories, like using a cane rod with a piece of line twice the length of the rod attatched, catching redfin and eels in victorian creeks and dams.
Then we upgraded to trout on Alveys reels with like 15 yards of line, as line was expensive, and cane rods and we were hooked for life.

Ahhhhh Yesssss as I drift in to a quiet reflective moment

Thanks again Mick :) :)

Angla

Streetkid
06-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Reminds me of the legal size bream that I caught on my 9 dollar rod/reel combo on my first fishing trip when I was six and also the number of times I've sat in my 10 thousand dollar boat with my 200 dollar rod and reel combo and not even had a bite. I know which one I have the fondest memories of.