PDA

View Full Version : Lessons Learned

bidkev
02-02-2006, 07:58 PM
Further to recent debates on boating safety I thought it may be interesting and worthwhile to share any painful (or otherwise) experiences that you have encountered whilst boating/fishing.

Was there valuable lessons to be learned? Could the experience have been avoided? In retrospect, what suggestions do you have to prevent them happening again?

First up, I've made the fatal mistake of grabbing a wire leader and taking a turn around the hand without gloves. I now always have a pair of welders gloves in the boat, these because they reach up the arm and cover the wrist/artery.

2nd: My deckie was handling a very fast run from what I assume was a wahoo or spanish.......I was stood to her left giving "verbal help" ;D when the fish ran to the left and the stern of the boat. As I moved to the stern to see if it was going to entangle the prop, it decided to run for'ard up the other side of the boat, resulting in the line going across my neck, The deckie couldn't wouldn't let go the rod and I screamed at her to pass the rod over my head which she duly did, unfortunately from the wrong way, which resulted in a coil around my neck. I screamed for a knife and luckily one was to hand. I think this was the most frightening experience I've ever had in fishing. Me and the deckie didn't speak for 48 hrs ;D Lesson learned....stay away from the deckie when she's on a high ;D

3rd: I dropped a 6ft pike eel into a 10 ft tinnie........'nuff said, my joggers still bear the scar ;D

4th: I let go the winch handle when I hadn't engaged the lock....result.......fractured cheekbone
lesson learned: Let the deckie handle the winch ;D

kev

We tolerate shapes in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.

Canoedle
02-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Ouch :o

ShaneJ
02-02-2006, 08:56 PM
When you get stung by a balleye? ray, dont think you can finish the crabbing session :-/

Grand_Marlin
02-02-2006, 09:53 PM
LOL Kingtin, that is legendary stuff.... I had to wait for the tears of laughter to subside before I could reply.... ;D ;D ;D

Can I come fishing with you?

You can keep all the fish, and I will keep what we win on funniest home videos !!!!

Lessons learnt, none the less.

Owen
02-02-2006, 10:05 PM
Lessons learned while fishing?

The crab will always let go of the wife's hook just before you get the net under it, and you will get into trouble for scaring her if you tell here it's "in my eye" if it hasn't actually punctured your eyeball, but is instead lodged in the skin in your EYE SOCKET. I now know they are entirely different and I had no right scaring her that way [smiley=end.gif]
When standing on the front of the tinnie retrieving crab pots whilst your wife is drive, do not start yelling to put in in reverse to avoid crashing into the bank as apparently the unique accoustics in the mangroves can make it sound like "give it full throttle!!" when they are under pressure ;)
Don't throw cast nets near the entrance to barnacle encrusted drainage pipes on causeways

Kev,
My wife reckons I'm a danger to myself, but I reckon you've got the jump on me so far ;D

cheers,
Owen

Grand_Marlin
02-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Now I have stopped laughing... what can I add....

1) Never assume live crabs (bait) will sit quietly in an open bucket in the car. 24hrs later you realise that they stink lots and that there are cavities in the car that you never knew existed.

2) Never trust your mate when he says "Yes, of course the trailer hitch pin is clipped in"

3) If, out of enthusiasm, you teach your 5 year old how to start the boat when you take them fishing, remember to take the keys out when it is sitting in the driveway.

4) Ever wonder why they are called electric eels? Ever wonder if they were joking? They weren't :o :o

5) Point 4 makes things difficult... you finally believe what the name says... then you catch a "Happy Moment" :'(

6) Never trust your Grandfather, even with his years of wisdom and experience, when he says "Don't worry, I wont hook you" while casting lures out of the boat. :'( :'( (treble through the ear)

7) Never go away camping on good Friday and expect to catch fish for dinner, especially if you are a Catholic.

8) If you are out GameFishing (trolling) .... fish are quiet.... so you decide to have a sleep.... always check that the fire bucket is still in the boat if it is YOUR rod that mysteriously gets the strike..... before you spend half hour fighting it... :-[ Man those buckets pull hard...

9) Penguins arent as cute and innocent as they look... especially if provoked...

10) and this is dead true, dont trust the marketing spiel on para anchors / sea anchors when it comes to safety. Any more than 15 kts of wind and they wont keep the nose into the wind. They let the boat drag side on. Thanks para anchor... do u want to replace my old boat?

Gee we seem to learn the hard way sometimes...

Cheers

Pete

p.s. Kingtin. I am still laughing. ;D

Owen
02-02-2006, 10:44 PM
Could have been worse Kev,
When you had that line around your neck your deckie could have recited my favourite movie quote.
"I've just spoken to the Lord and He say he thinks he can get me out of this, but He's pretty sure you're f......d!" ;D

BigE
03-02-2006, 01:34 AM
No matter how hard you try you will never convince your fishin mate "that letting 20 bucks loose in the tent while he slept" :o ... "seemed like a good idea at the time" ;D ;D and the old chestnut ;) " I'm sure they were all tied" doesnt go over to well either............ the thumb nail did grow back eventually :-/ , but we have never gone crabbin together again. :( :( :(

E

Bream_Reaper01
03-02-2006, 07:30 AM
In a 14" tinny ,DON'T tell a procrabber,yes mate we'll have your shark that u don't want,assuming it was dead.Lucky i suppose the noah was only 1mt long.

When helping the little ones and nearly finished tieing new hook on,DON'T say nearly done to them before hook is clear of hand.

bidkev
03-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Owen and Grand Marlin.......touche mates.........I am wetting myself here ;D ;D

kev

We are the unwilling, led by the unqualified, doing the unnecessary, for the ungrateful.

DICER
03-02-2006, 07:51 AM
When your in Northern Germany far out on the mud flats and the tide is coming in faster than you can walk, and also while you are extracting yourself from a mud/cockle gutter up to your waist, and also when the German guy next to says "Raus" - he really means get out of the mud as fast as you can without your waders/pants on.

fish2eat
03-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Oh Kev...........I just hope Sarajane reads this thread, since you offered her a deckie job on your boat

Help!!!!!! I'm starting to feel sorry for a journalist...... help!!!!!!!!!!!!

bidkev
03-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Oh Kev...........I just hope Sarajane reads this thread, since you offered her a deckie job on your boat

Help!!!!!! I'm starting to feel sorry for a journalist...... help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaaaaaaw! You're just a big softie ;D

kev

He who blames himself is halfway there. He who blames no one has arrived.

Maria
03-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Tie knots - then test them, and test them, and test them some more before sending it into the drink.

Don't take gf/wife to mosquito/sandfly infested mangrove environments. Picture her running screaming and yelling 200m back to the car waving hands about frantically before locking herself in the car in tears (because you need to lock the doors too don't forget).

Hands and feet simply don't match up to what creatures from esturine environments can throw at you - teeth, spikes, gill plates, oysters, rocks, glass.....the list goes on. Keep em protected.

Don't think that if you stop drinking at 2am, the two hours of restless doze that you get will be sufficient to enable you to go fishing that morning at 5am - right Jeff 8-)

Ben

Pwoida
03-02-2006, 01:19 PM
When you drop your $300 rod & reel into the drink, don't just stand there watching it, as it floats for a few seconds, hoping the boat will drift towards it........ dive in ya woos!!!!

When you've just bought a new cast net, and you go for you're first throw, remember to loop the rope on your wrist securely.

finding_time
03-02-2006, 01:34 PM
3rd: I dropped a 6ft pike eel into a 10 ft tinnie........'nuff said, my joggers still bear the scar ;D

kev

LOL kev

Mate is there any type of VERMIN you haven't caught!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ian.

Ps. those winch handles are very dangerous another reason to drive the boat on the trailer!

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
03-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I have learned that when the cigarette lighter runs out, don't try lighting a petrol soaked rag with a spark plug lead from the engine.

I have learned not to stand on the bow with the cast net with someone else on the throttle and the engine in reverse.

I have learned to make sure the cord of the castnet is around my wrist and tight before casting off any wharves...............I have also learned that the castnet is not as valuable as my gold watch, my sunnies, my hat, my best thongs and the contents of my wallet!

I have learned that mud crabs are like magpies. If you focus only on one claw the other one will get you!!

Cheers
Dave

2iar
03-02-2006, 02:05 PM
1. Remember to put the bungs in.
2. Put the bungs in.
3. Check you put the bungs in.

You may have further tribulations along the way, but they won't be nearly as bad once you've done this :D

Good luck,
Mike

Phoenix
03-02-2006, 03:23 PM
When working as a nurse in the UK - a guy came in, a sight that brought a tear to my eye.

Picture this. Mr Sterotypical-Brit (not his real name), always so macho that he nevers calls for a tradie because he always knows what to do....

Ok, so one day Mr Sterotypical-Brit comes home from work, wifes nagging him to finally fix the damm washing machine or she'll call an electrician. It's been raining and he's soaked through.

But - fed up of her nagging - he finially gets the tools out and pulls the machine appart. Guys take note.

The electricity arced through the metal zip on his jeans fly. The swelling and colouration were amazing and he even got it pictured in several medical journals. Not to mention the steady stream of medical students and nurses that wanted to examine it - and the amount of giggling that was going on outside the cubicle. poor guys ego to a battering and a half.

bidkev
03-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Oh! And another one! ;D

When you're sat on the bow of a 10ft tinnie facing the stern, making your way through the mangroves to look for new crabbing spots and your mate yells out, "F**k!" and you reply, "what's up mate?"..................It means you need your hearing tested........... *and* that you're about to lose your sunnies, your hat, the sight in yer right eye, and get knocked into the drink! ::) ;D

kev

He who is not grateful for the good things he has would not be happy with what he wishes he had.

bidkev
03-02-2006, 04:21 PM

kev

LOL #kev

Mate is there any type of VERMIN you haven't caught!!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Ian.

On a hook? I don't think so ;D The water rat was a bit harder though. I had to use a landing net ;D

kev

How many of you believe in telekinesis?......... Raise MY hand!

al-straddie
03-02-2006, 04:39 PM
I have learned to make sure the cord of the castnet is around my wrist and tight before casting off any wharves...............I have also learned that the castnet is not as valuable as my gold watch, my sunnies, my hat, my best thongs and the contents of my wallet!

LMAO ;D ;D ;D
flnally realised I'm not alone. ;)

westie
03-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Further to recent debates on boating safety I thought it may be interesting and worthwhile to share any painful (or otherwise) experiences that you have encountered whilst boating/fishing.

Was there valuable lessons to be learned? Could the experience have been avoided? In retrospect, what suggestions do you have to prevent them happening again?

First up, I've made the fatal mistake of grabbing a wire leader and taking a turn around the hand without gloves. I now always have a pair of welders gloves in the boat, these because they reach up the arm and cover the wrist/artery.

2nd: My deckie was handling a very fast run from what I assume was a wahoo or spanish.......I was stood to her left giving "verbal help" ;D when the fish ran to the left and the stern of the boat. As I moved to the stern to see if it was going to entangle the prop, it decided to run for'ard up the other side of the boat, resulting in the line going across my neck, The deckie couldn't wouldn't let go the rod and I screamed at her to pass the rod over my head which she duly did, unfortunately from the wrong way, which resulted in a coil around my neck. I screamed for a knife and luckily one was to hand. I think this was the most frightening experience I've ever had in fishing. Me and the deckie didn't speak for 48 hrs ;D Lesson learned....stay away from the deckie when she's on a high ;D

4th: I let go the winch handle when I hadn't engaged the lock....result.......fractured cheekbone
lesson learned: Let the deckie handle the winch ;D

kev

We tolerate shapes in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.

kev it seem you think it was just in the excitement of it all with you deckie.
Was there at any time you thought WHY!!!! is she smiling so much when It could be cut to threads here, and she know full well what is going on and she had the perfect crime, sorry accident.

Watch ya back mate :-/ all women want to get even with there man at sometime over some little thing :o

Westie

Rainbowrunner
03-02-2006, 04:54 PM
9) Penguins arent as cute and innocent as they look... especially if provoked...

just the images that spring to mind

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

revs57
03-02-2006, 06:12 PM
You blokes are a crack up ;D ;D ;D ;D

Make sure the full roller game rod is securely bottomed in the gimble rod holder with safety lanyard connected before going out through the bar...(turned around just in time to see it wobble over the edge into the drink...worst thing was it was my old man's new outfit when I was a kid...went home with some BS story about a mammoth strike in free spool that birdsnested the reel ripping it over..had to tell him something exciting...)

Oh, and be kind to ya mummas (just for you Jay!!) ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

rhys

philip_thomson
03-02-2006, 06:31 PM

just the images that spring to mind

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

i tryed telling my mum that the penguins started attacking me before i through my coke and hot dog in to the cage and i was not trying to see how hypo they get on coke.

Zeeke
03-02-2006, 07:24 PM
I have learnt.. that you never say "throw us the knife" even if you mean just handing it over.... you might end with it stuck in your foot

Tim

DICER
04-02-2006, 06:21 AM
If you think of going to sleep in beach caves on Kangaroo Island to get away from wild weather, then think again.....

There are more than two types of animals in those caves:-

Seal colonies
Penguin rookeries (at dusk - oooohhh funny noises, guys get out, ahha that's what they are :o)
Large kangaroos that go right past you in the cave entrance and don't know you are there (dusk)
Medium size cranky crabs that come in at 2 am looking for inflatable beds, cups and a fight
Small mammals that jump into the biscuit bag+decidely dance side-2-side, next to your head (4am)
Penguin and fish parasites in the beach sand where you want to fish, that suck your blood (6.30am)

Pick caves that do not have low ceilings - if you want to get out in a hurry.

Grand_Marlin
04-02-2006, 10:22 AM
Also, when wading on the sandflats, spearing flounder, it is recommended that you do not poke a large octopus with your 12v flounder light.
It is not documented anywhere, but let it be said, that a large octopus has the ability to get upset very easily....pull the end off your light and f@(K off with it... leaving you standing in the middle of the bay with no light....

.... must be related to penguins.....

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
04-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Grand Marlin, I have only just been able to stop laughing long enough to post this!!!!! That was bloody hilarious!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave

Grand_Marlin
04-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Sad thing is it is all true....

DICER
04-02-2006, 12:42 PM
ROLFMAO.... ;D ;D nah octopusses are smart aren't they... ;D

I'll have dreams about that one...

JEWIENEWIE
04-02-2006, 01:30 PM
mate went fishing in his boat by himself, returned to the ramp, secured boat, he thought, and went to car to get changed into jeans as it was bloody cold, no jocks on. he went to retrieve boat and noticed his knot had come undone and his boat is drifting up river quite quickly, looked around, seemed quiet enough so he stripped off to the nuddy and jumped in to retrieve his pride and joy. Little did he knoe that on the other side of the trees was a church group bbq of about 50 people watching his antics. heclimbed back in proceeded to try and start boat but alas no keys!! Yep they are in his jeans pocket back at the ramp!! Took some time before some one would help him! Cant understand why?
JN

onerabbit
04-02-2006, 03:30 PM
You guys are a total crack-up.
By experience, I have found that cat-fish spines are so sharp that they will happily pierce the sole of any footwear, even steel-cap work boots, had to test the theory a second time with the other foot at a later date , just to be sure.
Muzz.

brett_rokesky
05-02-2006, 08:25 AM
Don't throw muddies at the old man as a joke.

themisses
06-02-2006, 04:10 PM
Don't have an stories yet(only new to boating). But now have a great range to choose from if ever i want to knock off the captain!! Cheer fellas!! Look out honey!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MulletMan
06-02-2006, 08:23 PM
Was doing some amatuerish spearfishing with a mate in a few metres of water about 30 miles south east of Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea many years back. We had used a tiny inflatable to paddle out about one K to the reefs edge ...........The Coral Bommies up there are up to 10 metres round with huge holes in them. As I was diving down for a looksee he passed me on the way up in quite a state. His eyes were like saucers behind his goggles and he was simulating the launch of the space shuttle. Ever fearless, I got inside the Bommie and started happily doing a run around the coral. What I didn't know was that there was bloody great shark happily doing a lap of honour in the opposite direction! Yehah, now I knew what had scared my mate. With images of appendages being ripped and torn off me and the ridiculous warning ringing in my ears "allways swim slowly away from a shark", I thrashed, kicked, groped. spluttered and clawed my way to the surface. Egads, where has the ducky gone? I espies my intrepid mate in it with the little plastic paddles almost bent double as he departed for the shore. With no difficulty whatsoever I walked over the water and launched myself into the boat. At this stage I should mention that 3-pronged spears and rubber boats ane nor all that compatible!! Woooooosh, speared the side cell and down we start to go. But there's more...in my wild trashings about the floor of the ducky, my left hand encountered a couple of dead Butterfly Cod (Scorpion Fish) that we speared. The pain of this sting was dwarfed by the prospects of being gently torn apart by a berserk maneater no doubt right behind us and we rowed that soggy sponge of a boat at a great rate of knots and must have gone up the sand about ten metres. During this adventure, the ladies were happily sipping champers on the beach and saying "Oh look, the boys are coming back quickly, they must have a lot of fish". Being a bit "duh" in those young days I put my hand in a bag of ice (wrong!!) and finished up on morphine with a blue/black hand that gave me a new definition of pain!

onerabbit
06-02-2006, 08:40 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

onerabbit
06-02-2006, 08:41 PM
# # #;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

onerabbit
06-02-2006, 08:42 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BelgraveBoy
11-05-2007, 07:21 PM
Fella's I have not had a good laugh like that for a real long time. I don't have a boat but, I have learnt......... Don't drink too much at 2:00am in the morning, in the middle of winter on Kangaroo Island whilst fihing, and then expect to be able to walk towards 'the sound of splashing water', think that you can see in the dark, AND expect not to do 3 summersaults before landing upside down, completely under water in a freeziong river (that I am sure wasn't there 2 hours earlier...).

It's amazing how much the landscape of a beach can change when the tides going out near an estuary!

Davemclean
11-05-2007, 09:25 PM
right, wear a hard hat when teaching newbies to fish, I took me mum fishing, was teaching her to cast and bam, I had a 50gramm lead belt me on the back of the head, and then don't expect to fish through concussion, doesn't work as it affects your casting and I caught every tree in the area

also, if there is something you think you should go to the hospital for, then go, a few years ago, I slipped on some rocks and broke 2 fingers, I duct taped them up and tried to carry on fishing, and couldn't hold my rod, also, lsat week, I slipped on te same patch of rocks that I broke my fingers, and cut my arm open, a gash that was 10cm long, half a cm wide and basically thriugh to muscle, I clean it up, bandage it up, the problem is, it wont stop p****ing blood, I go all dizzy and feel like I'm gonna pass out, that's when I called it a day

gunnabuild1
12-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks folks I'm laughing between the sympathetic tears some lessons are never forgotten.

2rods
13-05-2007, 04:00 AM
Never ever and I mean ever...........

Have a few beers and think it would be funny to get that big mud crab to latch onto your mates bum while he is fishing.

Throw a tied up croc into a mates passing boat..... (THEY ALL JUMPED OUT)

let your 4 year old see you take the split pin out of the prop nut (they learn quick at that age)

dogsbody
13-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Also, when wading on the sandflats, spearing flounder, it is recommended that you do not poke a large octopus with your 12v flounder light.
It is not documented anywhere, but let it be said, that a large octopus has the ability to get upset very easily....pull the end off your light and f@(K off with it... leaving you standing in the middle of the bay with no light....

.... must be related to penguins.....

;D;D;D;D;D;D:'(;D;D;D;D;D;D Oh some funny sh!t there.

Dave.

blaze
13-05-2007, 01:56 PM
out spearing flounder the other week and seen what I thought to be a nice flattie in a lay, thinking this flattie was about 600mm long and would just top the bag up nice with the 1/2 dozen flounder we had. Gentley work toward my flattie and now standing directly above it, I must say it was a lovely shot in waht I thought was the back of his head. Now all hell broke loose, in realality I had stuck my flounder spear into a well camaflaged eagle ray of about 4 foot long, so here I am with this eagle bouncing around ontop of the water going mental as I franticlly try to remove a barbed spear head from his flap. Must have lasted all of about 15 seconds with my mate still laughing about it to this day. He also thought it was a nice flattie
cheers
blaze

Blackened
13-05-2007, 02:02 PM
[quote=2rods;618457]

Throw a tied up croc into a mates passing boat..... (THEY ALL JUMPED OUT)
quote]

G'day

That's the funniest thing i've read for a while... well done!

And pete.... I can just see your face when that occy stole your light... you stading alone in the dark.... HAHAHAHHAA

Dave

juju
13-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Know the depth of the water before you jump off the bow when comming into the beach....................
Remember to take the bait out of the freezer.....
when walking a drag net, know where the edge of the channel is....
if dropping a burley pot over the side make sure the rope is tied onto something at the other end....
Dont take too long stuffing around waith a drag net...you might came back and find the boat almost high and dry....
Start the outboard before you push off....flat battery can be a problem...
The list go on and on...

fishingjew
13-05-2007, 10:21 PM
3am Start Drive Down To Ramp Push Boat Of Trailer Pull Up On Sand Put Anchor Out Park Forbie Back Down To Boat Jump In Ready To Go No Boat Keys! On Kitchen Table At Home Boat Back On Trailer Back Home Get Keys Try Again Now Have A Key Hidden On Boat And One Cut On Main Keys.

ashh
13-05-2007, 11:58 PM
lol some good tales,
I was fishing with my brother in his 3.9 bass boat, full carpeted deck and false floor, 50hp donk, bait/livetank, leccy and two deepcycle batts = heavy tinny, one of TABS creations......anyways we ended up deciding to get some yabbys and go for some whiting for a change from chasing bream with bits of plastic, pulled up on the sand bar just out the front of the spit carpark opposite the big red barge that was/is anchored there, right on the top of the high tide at around 11am, noticed the tide receding a bit and the call was made to get moving, but nooooo we had to stay 10minutes longer to get just a few more yabs.......bad move...boat was stuck and the sand flat we came in over which was covered 2ft with water was now a 30m stretch of ankle deep water to the channel......sh!t
within 20 minutes of pushing and pulling the boat we were high and dry.
The flat we were on was pretty big so we thought yeah sweet, look on the bright side, we've got heaps of fresh bait around us for whiting, and the placcys for the flattys and decided to wait untill the next high tide and just fish for the next 11 hours or so. Sure you dont wanna call VMR to get us off?? nah well be ok

10:45pm that night, the water was getting closer to the boat, we had dug out under and around the boat a little pool kinda thing with the oars to assist with getting unstuck.
11:20pm a bit of water starts to fill the hole woohoo! but all it did was cave in and turn to sloppy sand and make the boat deeper in the sand, grrrrr, nah shell be right, water will come up a little more.....

high tide AM was 1.4m.........high tide PM was 1.12m waaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

no matter how hard we yelled at that water to come a little further up the bank it wouldnt.......the tide started to turn back out and we folded, sunburnt, cold and hungry, pride shattered we called the VMR to pick us up, all this time we could see there base AND our car with the trailer, with our jackets and doritos in it, just teasing us, but there was no way I was gonna swim that channel in the dark.
They said it was the funniest and shortest rescue they had done in a long time.
Bro went back early next morning paddled across on the kayak and slept on the boat untill it floated off on the high tide. Oh and to rub it in, the VMR said they had 100m tow ropes on board and would have pulled us off no sweat. If I wasnt so tired I would have decked my brother there and then.

Davemclean
14-05-2007, 01:50 AM
another thing I learnt today :( always load your own gear into the car, a mate did it, and slamed the boot on to me rod bag, the tip of a rod exploded, and it is buggered :(

WHALEOIL
14-05-2007, 01:53 AM
Great "tip"Dave

Davemclean
14-05-2007, 04:18 AM
G'day whaleoil, yeah, my mate bought me a 24 pack of Fosters and a new rod, exactly the same make aswell, so it's all good

trophee
14-05-2007, 04:57 PM
when hubby says "throw the anchor" - he doesn't mean that literally - I actually threw it over the bow rail - and it wasn't tied off!!!!

HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HE hadn't done his job properly first. But then the captain is ALWAYS right.
Lesson learnt - let him do the job himself.

WHALEOIL
15-05-2007, 06:50 AM
my mate bought me a 24 pack of Fosters

He can't be a mate Dave. He breaks your rod and then has a go at poisoning you.

B_E_N
15-05-2007, 04:23 PM
lol never do a rex and give ya nice lil tailor ya caught a quick kiss goodbye, she likes to kiss to but uses teeth!
dont go up a small creek if you dont know when the tide will go out on you to far, luckily we wer on the otherside of a sand dune, we managed to skull drag the boat over it then another 500m to the water fun day out (of) the water.
dont fish with unweighted live bait (fish) near kormerents, they apparently eat fish.
once you got the hook outta of him, make sure he goes away before you cast out again, their not to smart.....
crows do know where you hide your bait, and they will get it, as easy as catching fish in a bucket.....
if you know your mate is gullable, dont convince him cabbage tree creek is fresh water and is drinkable (for those who dont know it has a sewage treatment plant in it) you soon find out hes stupid when he says it tastes like chicken....
if you catch a pike eel (large at that) and decide it can be used for crab bait, make sure you hit it in the head with a bat atleast 20 times, then double it because chances are while you have gripped it round the head with a rag and are holding it extremely tight while your mate gets the hook out it just may use its slim to its advantage and slip thru somehow....and swim away.....
dont give ya next door neighbour a bit of slack about whos gonna catch more fish for the night, you might just wake up in your tent the next morning to find a bull shark lying next to you, and their not the best bed buddies, they reak like s**t
dont dangle your toes in the water if the toad fish look hungry, they can bite people.
lol this one cracks me up still, dont feed the egret that waits quietly on the bow of your boat while you cast net, they have a spear like beak, and can draw blood from your brothers hand as he makes the most feminine sqeal youve ever heard.
lol im sure ill think of more soon, ive learnt alot fishing.....

'ave a go
21-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Any additions?

TiNTiN
21-02-2010, 07:33 PM
when pushing your boat off the trailer make sure to have a rope to grab it when it gets off. i made this mistake at 4am on a cold winters morning and had to swim out to get the boat........lol almost wanted to put it back on the trailer and go home..lol luckily i had spare cloths in the car for when we got back.

cheers TiNTiN

Beggsy
23-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I learnt a number of lessons all on the same cold winters night while fishing from land out on the end of Cleveland Point:
1. When you build a home-made rod holder, make sure it won't fall over as soon as you get a hit.
2. It's best to tie said rod holder to something heavy.
3. When you have a rod in the holder, make sure the drag is set really light
4. When you have a rod in the holder don't walk away and start chatting to the other blokes around you..... no matter how long since the last bite....

5. If you fail on all the above and you hear a sudden crash, turn around and see your rod disappearing over the edge, DON'T try diving to catch it.....

......I ended up going for the big dive across the concrete, sliding about 5 metres on my guts(all 110 Kgs of me) before elegantly sliding into the drink head first.
I did manage to save my $300 rod and reel, but I lost a lot of bark and bloody near froze to death.
My nearby "mate" nearly choked laughing and could only manage to come out with "Geez, when you decide to go for a swim, you don't muck about.."
If I'd had any self-respect left, I would have choked him myself.

BILLY THE KID
26-02-2010, 04:35 PM
1. DON"T ever touch both terminals of a 900cc amp battery with the 12mm spanner touching your titanium dress ring :'(

3rd degree burn right round the finger

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/billythakid666/DSC00551.jpg

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t2/billythakid666/DSC00557.jpg

fisher28
26-02-2010, 08:50 PM
dont forget to undo the safety chain between winch and boat,no matter how hard ya push it wont come off!dont forget to put the outboard up before pushing boat off trailer.dont disconnect the trailer from the car halfway down the ramp cause you cant back it properly!!!!takes a lot of stopping::)

trevorjc
26-02-2010, 09:44 PM
Used to live on Groote Eylandt up in the gulf where we did things a little ruff. Just fuel up, esky full of grog and go.
A mate was out crabbing and he put the muddies in the bottom of the dingy untied free to roam about until he got back to shore. Being so remote and untouched up there they were very large mud crabs.
He had a fair few (drinks also) so he decided to head home.
On the way back he felt a very intense pain in his foot.
Looking down expecting to see a claw latched on he was surprised instead to see a mud crab holding his filleting knife down through the top of his foot.
The muddy somehow grabbed the knife from the bottom of the dingy and by accident while trying to kill the knife stabbed his foot.
He was screaming from pain but was so surprised he didn't know what to do for a bit but look in disbelief.
After some stitches and drinks he got his revenge on the crab.

Only lesson he learned from it however was never to leave his knife lying in the bottom of the boat when crabbing.........
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/shocked.gif

swabio
01-05-2010, 07:09 PM
This has been an awesome read! Surely there are some new additions to this?

Willdoe
07-05-2010, 12:42 PM
1. Don't unhitch your safety chain at the top of the ramp and then drive forward to correct your alignment with the ramp. It can be a long wait for the tide to come up to where your boat landed on the ramp. And especially don't do it when one of your loud mouth work mates is also on the ramp. :huh: :cry:

2. Don't park your boat on a steep beach with a short anchor with a rising tide and go up to camp for a sleep. Likely to have a neighbour come up and ask is that your boat half a kilomerter out in the bay.

3. Don't go up a narrow gutter in the mangroves around the mud flats on a falling tide. When the water suddenly stops running you will find there is 30 or more metres of mud flat at the mouth to drag the tinny across. You either sit and wait 7 hrs or almost end up with a heart attack from the exertion.
:cry: :cry:
Willdoe

TheGurn
18-05-2010, 10:39 AM
If using big baits and big line, expect big fish.

When I was very much younger, I was sitting quietly by myself one very dark night at the back of a tiny 10 ft tender, with a large live squid kicking around on an 80lb handline.
First time I'd fished this spot, and first time ever with gear like this. (I pinched it from my big brother)
The spool started bouncing and spinning around madly with line looping off fast, so I grabbed it -- the wrong way.... and got a perfect half hitch around my index finger.
'This can't be good', I thought to myself as I was yanked out over the stern by my finger.
I managed to get my other arm around the little outboard motor as it flew past.
More of me was out of the boat than in it, and the stern was below the waterline.
The boat was filling fast.
If I'd let go of the motor, I'd join the fish in the drink and get towed by my finger to the bottom.
So I hung on, knowing that I'd sink the boat and then get towed by my finger to the bottom.
I couldn't pull against the fish coz I was off balance, hanging on for my life and it was too green and strong.
After what seemed like a very long time, the bloody thing finally started to tire and with a painful effort, still clinging to the motor, I got the 80lb line up to my mouth to try and bite through it.
When I grabbed it in my teeth, the pressure was taken off, and the half hitch fell off.
I got myself fully back into the boat and swore that whatever this thing was, I was gonna kill it.... slowly...
I finally pulled a 26lb cod on board.
Straight to shore, soaking wet, with just a couple of inches of free board to spare and one very angry, spikey fish swimming freely around my bare feet.
And totally high on the whole experience.
I've never used a handline since, and never will. Not even for winter whiting.
And I now own a much bigger Trailcraft.
Much happier
PS. I still recall that cod tasted extra good... Revenge does taste sweet.

leeroy1
18-05-2010, 01:14 PM
When fishing off rocks with a bit of swell running remember to put all loose items away or well back from the edge.
Was fishing my local rock the other night when i hooked up to what felt like a good size fish in the first few seconds. At the same time that i hooked up a rather large set was building in front of the ledge.With nowhere to go i braced myself to get hit by the wave. Got hit, got back up & then finished landing the fish. BLOODY SHOVELNOSE.
Allright time to bait up again.
Where's me Bait?
Where's me two 2kg tailor that i had sitting back there?
Where's me 60$ spool of leader?
Where's me Beer?

Lost the bloody lot,Never to be seen again.

BilgeBoy
22-05-2010, 06:22 PM
When cousin asks you to go for a day in the Bay in New Prototype Cruisecraft Jet Boat....Kindly Decline. Prototype alright:angry: North of Amity Banks and the bolt drops out the Jet knuckle. No steering and four hours of having to paddle it back to point towards Cleveland where the Trailer was. Each time he would open the throttle the thing would gain speed and then promptly do a 180 degree turn. You see...He had a steering wheel to hold onto. I just had a bunch off poofy looking coloured cushions. I must have climb back into that thing twenty times that day.

Oh...And Steve Mate. It always pays to run the newly acquired second hand boat up at home before you put it in the water. I can still see the look on old mates face as he is sitting there all tipped to one side...high and dry on the ramp...engine revving and the prop cutting a hole in the concrete:shocked::shocked::shocked:. I swear I laughed so hard it hurt.

Happy boating

Jarrah Jack
23-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Very funny thread...

This one happened to a mate but its a good lesson to learn..

Going up a river up north day after day......the same big croc on the shore hasn't moved...ahh its dead he reckons..I'm gunna get me some croc teeth...grabs some pliers and gets his mate with a big gun to keep guard just in case.......starts climbing up the embankment just about gets to the top and starts slipping...grabs the crocs foot.....thought goes through head at the same time..croc doesn't smell...croc wakes up with chris grabbing his foot...not happy.....chris heads for boat at full steam croc heads for chris......the boat has swung parrallel to the shore...chris dives in head first and breaks front tooth while mate with big gun starts blasting away at the croc...misses with three shots at zero range......croc hits boat and knocks mate over then disappears under the boat..

Best to check that the croc is dead first first is his advice....

gr hilly
23-05-2010, 09:07 PM
i can feel that and you cant get them off quick either you poor thing.

hilly

ThePinkPanther
24-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Been hit by a:

Stingray
Lion Fish
Happy Moment
Catfish eel
Bluebottle(s)
Jellyfish

What else is there?