PDA

View Full Version : The difference in BOM - Buoyweather and Seabreeze!

MulletMan
07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
With the number of posts on the subject, I flashed off a couple of eamils to the latter two websites to query where they got their data from!

SEABREEZE # "...We use computer models which are based a "little offshore" - glad to hear they're working for you - we often get
# emails letting us know when they're not!!"
# So they most likely use US based weather satelittes etc. for their weather data and then reproduce forecasts on
# what the models think will happen.

BUOYWEATHER: ...... we regret that we are unable to advise our source of offshore models for compilation of Australian forecasts"

So what does that mean, firstly as SUBZERO so correctly pointed out, when you originate weather forecasts from overseas the odds of an Aussie Boatie sueing you for an incorrect forecast are less than zero. Not so in good old Qld where the BOM guys and gals live in daily terror of litigation or totally unprofessional and stupid journalists beating up the forecast for some media coverage. After the Sydney to Hobart disaster, I suspect that BOM took a backward step and started building in some pretty serious safety factors to make sure they had a better than average chance of being "mostly right". I personally think they do a brilliant job i.e. imagine YOU are the forecaster and have to put out a forecast in in the full knowledge that if the wheels fall off then YOU will be up before the Magistrate when some Ambulance Chasing Solicitor decides he can blame the incident/accident on YOUR forecast!!! We created this litigation insanity and this is just one of prices we have to pay - everyone errs on the side of caution! We had a BOM forecaster in the Unit at VMR Vicky Point many years and she (yep she!) openly admitted that understaffing, lack of funds, insufficient training and a withdrawal of meteoroligical data gathering points across Australia all made a significent impact on BOM. I am 110% on their side and after a few more lessons, you guys will also feel the same! Hey here's a great thought! BOM gets plenty of criticism by email about their "wrong" forecasts and even on this Ausfish site, how about some guys sending them a FEEDBACK email from their website saying what a great day was had because their forecast was spot on or putting up some similar posts on Ausfish? Everybody loves a bit of praise now and then and not one of them wakes up in the morning and says "think I will stuff up the forecast today to make it miserable for the Boaties!".