PDA

View Full Version : water Skiing and Towing Warning

seabug
06-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi
Not directly a fishing article ,but with 11000 members surely this must be relevant to some.
Regards
Seabug

January 29, 2006

Water-skiing and Towing warning

The State boating regulator has issued a plea for those involved in towing activities like water-skiing to operate safely and defensively after eight serious incidents since the beginning of 2006.

NSW Maritime General Manager Recreational Boating Brett Moore said the most serious incident involved the fatality of a 12-year-old boy on the Murray River, near Moama, in a water-skiing incident on 4 January.

The boy had been a passenger in a ski boat when he and another passenger as well as the driver were ejected from the boat onto a bank. The other passenger is still seriously ill with brain injuries, while the driver suffered a broken collar bone and leg.

On Friday night (27 Jan) another 12-year-old boy had his leg amputated while water-skiing in the Nepean River.

Mr Moore said these more serious incidents, coupled with the other six water-skiing and towing related incidents, recorded and currently being investigated, on NSW waterways in January 2006 were cause for concern and more vigilant safety measures on behalf of those on the water.

“It’s absolutely crucial that those who are involved in towing activities observe traffic restriction signs and maintain a safe speed and distance off requirements, as well as keep a proper lookout at all times,” Mr Moore said.

“It is also a legal requirement for the skier, the ski-boat driver and the observer to remain under the 0.05 alcohol limit.

“It is just unacceptable that we have experienced so many towing-related incidents in the past month. All those involved in skiing or towing must operate as safely and defensively as possible in order to avoid any further tragic circumstances.”

Other towing and water-skiing related incidents in January include:
• 01/01/06 – 13-year-old girl who had been water-skiing collided with a pole on the Wallamba River
• 09/01/06 – 16-year-old girl had her foot seriously injured when it was struck by a ski boat in the Nowra ski park
• 15/01/06 – 33-year-old male skier suffered back injuries after the vessel towing him hit the bank of the Ballina River
• 15/01/06 – 38-year-old female was swimming when in Wallis Lake when she was struck by the propeller of a ski boat, suffering cuts to her arms
• 23/01/06 – a male wake-boarder suffered broken ribs during a fall on Lake St Clair.

Penny Robins

www.maritime.nsw.gov.au

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marko16
06-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Hey seabug!
Correct me if I'm wrong but are there not dedicated ski areas still :-/?
Not really suprising the number of incidents when you see how and where some people think it is ok to ski / tow around the place #::)
Fishing between the pin and the seaway a few weeks ago and came across a boat towing a young guy on a knee board up and down the main chanel. No real area around to pull up to the beach any where so I guess they were just stopping in the middle to change skiers etc, and the conditions were less than ideal with 25 knot gusts recorded by 7am that morning.
What chance would they have when they fall off and are bobbing up and down in fairly rough conditions with a number of large boats moving around the area at speed. I'm sure they wouldn't encourage their kids to ride their bikes up and down the M1 all day yet they will tow them through some very busy waterways?

Cheers,

Mark.

seabug
06-02-2006, 11:35 PM
bump :) :)

Zeeke
07-02-2006, 01:10 AM
and... How many of these ski accidents were caused by people using Jetskis as a mode of pulling skier??

Tim

sf17fisherman
07-02-2006, 08:55 AM
• 23/01/06 – a male wake-boarder suffered broken ribs during a fall on Lake St Clair.

they can't really count that one in there as thats just part of the game

however was suprised to see a report of the boat hitting a bank soo many times
when i go tubeing (too fat for propper skiing) we always do the main buisness in the deeper water in the middle of the river and when we want in we slow down to come into the bank
i always thought there was a rull about 10knots when withing 10 meters or the bank or other swimmers
i love my fishing and love my boating but i love my jetski rideing and tubeing just as much :D

Argle
07-02-2006, 09:38 AM
How many of these accidents involved drivers/skiers that were under the influence? It never ceases to amaze me that people think they can still operate boats and ride a ski/tube when pi$$ed.
Whenever we go skiing we try and find an area well away from other boats (not easy sometimes) and always keep a watch on what the skier is doing and also on other boats. There is no excuse for boats to be hitting the bank if the skipper is doing his/her job properly, you just cant help some people I suppose >:(

Cheers and Beers

Elysium
07-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I always thought that you couldnt have any alcohol in your system when operating boats....any boats.

Argle
07-02-2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah and you cant be over .05 when driving a car either, seems to stop lots of people doing it hey? >:( >:( >:(

Cheers and Beers