PDA

View Full Version : South Passage Bar - You Blokes Fair Dinkum????

Mr__Bean
07-02-2006, 07:47 PM
G'Day all,

Whilst coming in to land on a flight to Brisbane Airport the other day I had a great view of the South Passage Bar out of the passenger window.

Only trouble was that the Bar seemed to just be a wall of breakers all the way across with no visible relief.

So, how the hell do you guys get in and out safely and reliably, or is it really out of the question without extensive local knowledge?

- Darren

madman1
07-02-2006, 07:53 PM
When you get an answer Darren let me know and I will do the usual and follow you out. That always makes a smooth trip. lol

Let me know when your next trip is.

Are you keen to head to Blakesleys with the others from the last M&G? Its not much further than Peel. Team Madman is keen.

Let me know.

Cheers

Mark

Bass43
07-02-2006, 07:57 PM
Does anyone have the GPS points for the crossing??

skippa
07-02-2006, 08:00 PM
G'Day Darren,

Yeah, she's an awsome sight from the air eh, especially on a rough day.
The Rip compared to the SP bar is a swim in the local pool ;)

Best advice I can give is to do the Bar Crossing course with Bill Coreton, what he doesn't know about the bar isn't worth knowing. Top bloke to boot ;)

Contact details : PH 3286 3647

Cheers,
Tony 8-)

al-straddie
07-02-2006, 08:44 PM
G'Day Darren,

Best advice I can give is to do the Bar Crossing course with Bill Coreton, what he doesn't know about the bar isn't worth knowing. Top bloke to boot #;)

Contact details : PH 3286 3647

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

Certainly very good/execelent advice.

I've been crossing S.P bar periodiacally for 8 months, and have always used the trawler channel because it is not as variable the amity channel. It's very important on any bar crossing to know the swell and wind conditions, cause the difference between 1.5m NE and 1.5 m SE swell is enourmous. "If unsure, stay in-shore"....... better to catch whiting than swim for two hours, (like a cricketer found out the hard way). That said, with some education and experience, and the right conditions, than it can be a gateway to fish fun......Always err on the safe side....

cheers..... 8-)

PS. There is a thread somwhere on Amity Channel conditions, but I haven't learned yet how to link it to here.

al-straddie
07-02-2006, 09:01 PM
Bass43,

I have some "Old" marks, and I say old 'cause last time out they'ed changed siginificantly(particuallary the "out bar" marks, which used to be in 20m of water but now are only 4m). Found these on another site, so beware cause conditions#will change regulalary on open bars such as this.

Would be worth while contacting NTH Straddie VMR for recent info. Raby Bay VMR may also have the goods. If it's your first time than spend the money to do the course metioned previously......."Saftey First-Fish After"

cheers..... 8-)

SeaJay
08-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Its not so much a big deal as long as you pick your weather and tides.

I always reckon its not so much the going out that's the issue as much as finding your way back in!

Worse comes to worse you hang around a while and wait for other boats, hope they know more than you, and follow them ;)

roz
08-02-2006, 04:32 PM
I've never seen the South Passage Bar but the closest thing would may have been the Pin.

I have total admiration for anybody who has to navigate those bars, I thought I was bloody wonderful going out through the Tweed, but compared to those bars it's quite mild.

Will no doubt get to see the South Passage one day (from somebody elses boat I hope)

roz

gropeher
08-02-2006, 07:19 PM
I do 90% of my fishing out from this bar.
She can get very hairy.
I must admit I prefer the going out rather than the coming back in on this bar for some strange reason.
There is a channel on the Northern side as there is also one on the southern side, however I have been out days when the whole passage has been closed out due tro breakers.
I did Bill Cortens course which is well worth the money.

I would prefer not to offer any gps marks due to the channel consistently changing from differing weather patterns etc, I would be afraid somebody would follow the marks spot on, where as a lot of common sense is also required.
Also I cant be bothered going out and hoping on board the boat at the moment.

Cheers Ryan..

Owen
08-02-2006, 07:58 PM
I've never seen the South Passage bar, but I've watched the trawlers crossing the Brunswick Heads bar a few times in hairy weather :o :o :o :o
Are they alike?

I reckon bars (waves) are like sharks.... neither should be bigger/longer than ya boat!

Never would've happened if Joh was still in power ;)

cheers,
Owen

snappa
08-02-2006, 08:11 PM
RIDE THE BIKE ..ITS safer,, :D

mackmauler
08-02-2006, 08:31 PM
bruns is nothing like sth passage owen, it has no rock walls and its about 5km wide, both very nasty bars in there own right.sth passage can be very difficult and a rough crossing lasting several kilometers, it can also lead you well offshore into some very sharky waters before your through the breakers and noone will see you roll over specially mid wk, big tigers and whalers are common around sth passage. The first couple yrs I used to fish off sth passage I always had the leg rope from the board on and expected to be swimming at any minute but I didnt bother with weather forecasts like these days, its a lot easier now.

skippa
08-02-2006, 09:06 PM
May not be a good pic, but certainly shows what the South Passage Bar looks like. As Rob said no rock walls here.

Moreton on the left and tip of N Straddie (Amity Point) on the right. Rous Channel in the forground.

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

chemmy
08-02-2006, 11:20 PM
hear is another pic but it is a old pic so don't use it as specific reference

outsiderskip
09-02-2006, 07:11 AM
hi darren
been fishing of moreton for20 years
the bar changes a lot you can always get out in most conditions throught the northern channel on rough days with a big swell
comming in u can go through amity channel close to the beach or sit on the biggest wave and follow it in
its not as bad as it used to be

cheers pete

roz
09-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi Owen,

More often that not there is nothing to worry about on the Tweed and Brunswick bars when the tide is making, I don't think that applies for the Pin or South passage.

I don't want to trivialise either the Tweed or Brunswick as both have claimed lives, but just give an opinion.

You've made a good point with the shark comparison.

Rob,

I gather you've fished down that way at some stage, it is a dodgey little bar though.

Cheers Roz

redspeckle
09-02-2006, 04:41 PM
The south passage bar can be like little pussy cat and some days roar its head off like loin just have to pick the weather,swell,wind,tide,dirtection there is three channels northern, middleand amity
When crossing norhtern channel be careful of pressure waves you just have take you time getting throught its not like surf wave catch and ride it in
Just like others said do course with Bill I have worth every cent and if looks to rough go out , just fish in the bay for the day its not worth losing your boat
By the way hope to heading out this Sunday over it
I am like Reel Magic heading out doesn't bother me but heading in does
Mitch
Have A nice day :)

jimbo59
10-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I have been going out of sp for nearly 30 years, back then nobody was there to teach ya, ya had to learn from little mistakes and follow old salts out, i probeblystill dont do it right but it hasnt bitten me yet touch wood i suppose its like making love ;)

onerabbit
10-02-2006, 07:12 PM
I usually only do Ballina bar, but I'd rather be going out than coming in, at least you have the choise going out of turning back & not going.
Muzz

PMC
10-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I t looks easy, stick to the dark blue bits, and go flat out ;D ;D

(Please do not take this advice as serious.)

Scalem
11-02-2006, 05:26 AM
I've not had the experience of going out using my own boat ( mine is just not a blue water boat) but I have been out through S/P a couple of times. Last time the skipper said we'll be alright because the GPS will remember the route we took going out...... Only when out at flat rock somewhere, when it was still OK to fish there, he accidently erased the route. Coming back in was a scary as heck, trying to Navigate amoungst the most white water you will ever see on a bar. It was like a washing machine, and our eyes were glued to the sounder, constantly checking the depth. At least with Tweed or Brunswick, within only a minute or two, you are in or out. South Passage seemed to take forever. Didn't like it one bit! I should have booked a chiropractor the day after LOL I think I will stick to going out through Bribie where my Skipper lives, and putter about the bay in my bathtub in between bluewater trips. ;)

Scalem

al-straddie
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Coming back in was a scary as heck, trying to Navigate amoungst the most white water you will ever see on a bar. #It was like a washing machine, and our eyes were glued to the sounder, constantly checking the depth. #At least with Tweed or Brunswick, within only a minute or two, you are in or out. #South Passage seemed to take forever. #Didn't like it one bit!

This is the main reason I always use the "Trawler Channel" off Reeders Pt, Morten. It minimises the amount of time over shallow water. 10m deep in the channel and 20m deep outside, and last time out(so DON"T take this for gospel)4m deep for about 150m.

The southern end (amity channel) has a much broarder area of shallower water, hence your washing machine

cheers..... 8-)

RAGINGBULL
11-02-2006, 04:07 PM
MR BEAN

If you are asking these questions
You definately need a bar crossing course as some have said.
Brunswick is short and dangerous and is more timing and tide related.
SE passage requires a LOT more information and judgement at that moment, possibly for 10 minutes as you cross the bar.
This has to be learnt.

Do not attempt either untill crossed a few times with someone skilled.
Its a looooong swim back.

Mark

Heath
12-02-2006, 08:26 AM
I wouldn't take Tweed all that lightly. My worst crossing experience happened on the Tweed on a making tide no less.

No matter where you exit from, good ol' mother nature demands our respect.