PDA

View Full Version : Gold Coast Flathead Classic 2005-2006

Cloud_9
11-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Gaday all.
We, the Gold Coast Sport Fishing Club participated in a pilot program put together by a guy name Ben Biggles and Rec Fish Australia which was to rate all the major fishing competions across Auz in an attemp to stop the medleing green factor from sticking thier grubby fingers into our fishing comps.
the idea it to rate the competions via a 79 point check list to assertain the environmently friendly nature of each comp based on the number of points they scored on the test.
this was a government sponcered program via a grant and it has gained momentum and the gov has seen the merit of such a skeem for what it's wurth.
a Good tool to keep track of the tornaments and their impact on the environment.
thursday night at our general meeting we
received Confermation of our Clubs running of the 2005 Flathead Classic fishing Comp.
out of a possible 79 we scored 74 giving us a 5 STAR rateing. ;D
out of all the major comps we are the only one to recieve the 5 Start rateing.
the Barra Classic scored 4 1/2 stars.
the Bream comps (ABT ) only scored 4 Star.
Bass Comps the same 4 Stars.
according to Rec Fish we have set the Bench mark.
setting such a high standard the Flathead Classic should be safe from the green element for a while .
but not resting on the rateing we well be indevering to better our rateing .
there's still 5 items that need to be addressed to get closer to the 100% for the point score.
from here we can persue an international rateing via an acredition skeem.
Next month we start the Ball rolling for the 2006 Flatty Classic.
Here's the Certificate we recieved.

Cheers Cloud 9

chanquetas
11-02-2006, 12:00 PM
Congratulations :)

fish2eat
11-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Its a comp I've wanted to enter for the last few years but work always intervenes...will get there one year as it looks like a great event

keen_as_mustard
11-02-2006, 12:53 PM
Jamie,

great news - the classic is a great comp - I have fished it for the last three years and know how well it is run, and how little it impacts on the environment.

are you able to let us know what the 5 points are that the classic did not score are?

thanks

marty

RobSee
11-02-2006, 06:07 PM
If you came to the meeting - then you would know...

tonyp
11-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Well that is a pat on the back, good to see you have achieved such a high standard.
I had Ben on my boat at a recent Bass ( ABT ) tournament with all his gadgets and meters of which my live well was better than the water they came out of.

Maybe from a rating point of view it is different because in the Flathead classic you do not bring the fish in where as the Bass & Bream comp they are bought in to weigh.

At the moment who is the president and vice of the Gold Coast Sports Fishing club ?

Cloud_9
12-02-2006, 12:25 PM
the President is it founding member Don Woodford he started the club back in 1974 as the first ANSA club in queensland.
we are no longer an ANSA club but a few members still pay the $70 fee for the ansa membership.
the Vise President is ME Cloud 9.

keen_as_mustard
12-02-2006, 04:45 PM
If you came to the meeting - then you would know...

gee Rob - thanks for the "constructive criticism"

...I didn't go to the meeting because I'm not a member of the club...I'm not a member of the club because I work the same night the meeting is on...kind of makes it hard to go to the meeting!

...however I did do all the artwork for the Flattie Classic handbook last year for FREE (15 - 20 hours of my time the club didn't pay for) - I reckon it woudn't hurt to give me a decent answer???

JT
12-02-2006, 05:54 PM
"If you came to the meeting - then you would know..." Been reading a few threads lately mentioning that people should think before they press the post button - Rob me thinks that should have thought about this one.
I am a member of the club and was also on the committee for last years Flathead Classic and know how much work Marty put into last years Classic for no reward. I also didn't go to the last meeting as unfortunaltly life does get in the way of fishing sometomes :) and I would also like to know where we need to improve, as I would love to see the Classic grow from strength to strength.

I guess if I don't find out the 5 areas of improvement here I'll find out at the first 2006 Flathead Classic Committee meeting next month. Will you be joining us this year Rob?

Cheers

John

tonyp
12-02-2006, 06:10 PM
the President is it founding member Don Woodford he started the club back in 1974 as the first ANSA club in queensland.
we are no longer an ANSA club but a few members still pay the $70 fee for the ansa membership.
the Vise President is ME Cloud 9.

Thanks Cloud 9 you are the vice what is your name. You can email me if you wish my full name is on there.

Cheers Tony

RobSee
12-02-2006, 06:46 PM
Marty and John,

Sorry you guys.... I just upset cause I have not caught a jack yet, and all I see is you guys skiteing about yours >:( >:(. # #Take my comments with a sly smirk. Marty, I forgot that you were not a member, and JT.... let's just say that I missed you.... although not as much as Scotty

Jamie meant to say that Ben Diggles sent in the feedback, Greenie recieved the report I think, and he went on to say that the area the flattie classic was considered to be "detrimental" to fish health was :

That the tournament is considered to be held too close to when the fish spawn. as far as I know - this was the main reason that the event did not net (excuse the pun)#full marks. #HOWEVER - the club's stance on the event scheduling is normally that the event is on the overlap of the NSW and QLD school holidays - in an attempt to get more junior anglers involved. The juniors have a great chance of taking home a fantastic prize.... much better odds than lotto.

The Bream events fell down because they use live wells etc. I don't know what is wrong with the Barra event though. I would have thought that they would have scored higher, because I think they have to use barbless hooks etc. Maybe because there were so many barra mortalities due to sharks last year???

I would like to be able to help out on the committee this year, John - thanks for asking! ;)

Rob

RobSee
12-02-2006, 06:54 PM
You are all invited!

keen_as_mustard
12-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Rob,

Thanks for clarifying - appreciate it. That will be a tough one to change as running it at that time of the year helps with getting better results for anglers.

As for the Jacks, here is John and my secret - sleep less! We start every Jack session in the dark - less sleep equals more Jacks.

See you on the water.

Marty

JT
12-02-2006, 07:45 PM
Cheers Rob - look forward to having you on board.

I can understand the loss of points due to targeting the big female flatties during spawning, (but I do enjoy catching the big girls) be interesting to see if there is a negative effect on a spawning female (and male for that matter) after release and if the stress of C & R (if any) does put them off doing what spawning flatties do ::) ::).

Still got a couple of months to get a jack Rob - If I have a spare seat one morning, I'll drop you a line. No guarantees on a Jack though, it's been 5 weeks since my last >:( >:(

Cheers

John

squidgiepalmer
13-02-2006, 05:51 PM
Cloud_9 hi mate listen we are interested in getting a flathead classic up and running in Ballina for hopfully this year can you give me some info in to running comp as we wish to run it like the flatty classic up there you guys up there have done a great job and if we can get ours running as good we will be vewry happy so any help would be apescisated
cheers squidgie

RobSee
13-02-2006, 08:16 PM
Hi Gary,

Let us all know if it gets up and running - i'd go to it!

Rob

squidgiepalmer
14-02-2006, 06:11 PM
no worrys RobSee will let all know it's a bit dounting but Brett from Ballina Bait & Tackel and me are trying to get it up and running later in the year hopfully well before or after the south port one getting the help is a bugger and sponsors will i think like the idear we will start of small then work our way up to thew standard of the flatty classic up there
c heers squidgie

RobSee
15-02-2006, 09:54 PM
no doubt it'll have to start small. Having said that, the GC event is in its 13th or 14th year, and has a fair bit of momentum.

An Evans Head event would be great because it is at the start of something that could get pretty big!