PDA

View Full Version : What music do you listen to when your fishing?

noodlemantra
14-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Be interested if people like to listen to music when fishing, if so what? Radio? Fav bands? or the sound of a screeming reel?

al_neibling
14-02-2006, 08:41 AM
that depends if the hubby is with or not. If he is it's the radio and not to loud. If he isn't and I have the pleasure of the boat to myself it is
metallica, Pearl Jam, Dreading Dawn, Live, Evanesence, Sugar Ray, Black Eyed Peas, Nelly, 50 cent, Gwen and No Doubt, Bob Dylan, Eagles, CCR, Janis Joplin................the list goes on

You get the picture I love it all ;)

He might be ten years younger than me but he is a real old fart when it comes to music!

Come to think of it maybe that is why I am catching all the baby fish....they must be coming to party with me! ;D

el_carpo
14-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Myself, I like peace and quiet when fishing. Since I do most of my fishing on the shore of Lake Michigan in the heart of downtown Chicago, I rarely get to have any peace and quiet. Although, the sound of a screaming reel is pretty good I hear. Hopefully I hear my own reel scream one day. ;)

How about you, do you have a favorite?

MulletMan
14-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Shania Twain of course!
We have some great days on the water together ..................sigh!! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ::) ::) ::)

Lone_Wolf
14-02-2006, 08:53 AM
Noods,

Mate I guess I grew up with boats that were just boats. Never thought to take a radio, more to carry I guess.

The other day I looked at a boat on the internet and not only did it have a radio, it had a CD player as well. I think it's time for an upgrade!!

finga64
14-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Noods,

Mate I guess I grew up with boats that were just boats. Never thought to take a radio, more to carry I guess.

The other day I looked at a boat on the internet and not only did it have a radio, it had a CD player as well. I think it's time for an upgrade!!
Have a gander at Mono's new boat, It's complete with DVD etc.

I don't have a radio in the little boat. There would be too much racket going on as it would have to compete with all the little voices I hear in my head. :-/

fish2eat
14-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Nil, Nought, Nada, Nothing.......fishing time is peace and quiet, no noise, just daydreaming about the next big one waiting to strip line

bidkev
14-02-2006, 09:33 AM
None, when I'm on the water, but when I'm camping, It's Ross's Billy Coke Bottle tape or my 60's stuff...........Searchers, Merseybeats, Beatles and other Liverpool sounds and even earlier......Bobby Vee, Paul Anka, Connie Francis etc.

One of my sons is as big a music nut as myself and we listen to everything from 60's/70's/80's to Metallica to Punk to Celtic/Gaelic but mainly Dylan, Clapton, Morrison, Young. We have over a thousand cd's not counting tens of thousands of mp3's so if you are looking for a particular one, feel free to ask, as it may be sitting on my shelf unused ;)

kev

It is amazing how many people want to live a long life, and yet so few want to grow old.

noodlemantra
14-02-2006, 09:52 AM
because im land based i almost always take a stereo with me, especially when i do overnighters on the bank of my fav creek.

so its cd's all the way to bop to when im reclined in me chair with the live baits out and beers in the esky.

i listen to mainly - pearl jam, system of a down, oasis, queens of the stoneage, perfect circle, tool, prodigy etc. its great when you've got tunes on and the action is hot. gets you pretty pumped!

i try not to have it too loud, as im sure the fish would be able to hear it and be affected by it. anyone know anything more about the hearing capabilities of fish in the water?

PeterT
14-02-2006, 10:02 AM
No music just peace and quiet or chat with companions. More often it is hanging shit on oneanothers fishing ability.

Fishing is a very Zen thing for me. Time spent fishing doesn't count in your life span.

pete

Louis
14-02-2006, 10:21 AM
I take one of them "Shower Radio's" with me and listen to the radio.

Louis

PS: El Carpo

How do you go fishing in Lake Michigan?

Being a lake in the middle of a large city I imagine there is a lot of pressure on it. Is this the case? What is the population of Chicago?

Louis

land_based
14-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Louis,

Here I was thinking i was the only guy with a shower radio on the jetty ;D

Hot_Snappa
14-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Hey Guys,

Just signed up as a member - when I'm out in my boat I like to listen to the "gallops" on the radio, hopefully with the outcome that I backed the winner :)
Cheers

Dave

Jitlands
14-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I go for the silent peacefull approach but when my brother tags along
I am treated to the sound of farts resonating against aluminuim unfortunatley accompanied by the remnants of last nights beer and pizza

Canoedle
14-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Dammit Jitlands, I was eating ;D
I never listen to music while fishing, but if I did, it would be Frank Zappa all the way, always cracks me up. ;)

Boz
14-02-2006, 12:52 PM
I think noodlemantra has a really good point, do you think that loud music or even unnessecary noise in general can have a negative effect on the outcome of a days fishing?

Boz.

fish2eat
14-02-2006, 01:08 PM
I think noodlemantra has a really good point, do you think that loud music or even unnessecary noise in general can have a negative effect on the outcome of a days fishing?

Boz.

I think people who fish with music are far less likely to catch decent fish......leave the sound system at home

Louis
14-02-2006, 02:34 PM
G'day Rob,

I think you and I are on a winner with the shower radio idea.

Louis

Louis
14-02-2006, 02:40 PM
I remember when I was a kid I used to make sure not to make too much noise as I thought it may frighten off the fish. And I'm sure that this does apply for some species of fish.

But in General, in the bay, I have found that having a radio on at a reasonable level makes absolutely no difference to my rate of catch.

Louis

Angla
14-02-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm with PeterT,

Just leisure time away from it all, or talking Shite with mates

Angla

Bream_Reaper01
14-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Shower radio works for me.I catch fish with or without it.

bidkev
14-02-2006, 03:16 PM
But in General, in the bay, I have found that having a radio on at a reasonable level makes absolutely no difference to my rate of catch.

Louis

Same here............I still catch bugger all! ::) ;D

kev

It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you're not!

fish2eat
14-02-2006, 03:19 PM
So Kev.....its the merseybeat attracting all that vermin eh???????

after 2,465 posts......we've finally cracked it for you !!!!!!! yay

fad
14-02-2006, 06:52 PM
None but rolling stones would be ok if u were fishing for rock cod ;D ;D ;D

raefpud
14-02-2006, 08:04 PM
I got 2 songs playing in my head when going fishing - on the way out its Survivor "Eye of the tiger" and on the way back in its Bob Dylans "Blowin in the wind" - it kind of sums up my recent fishing trips.

blaze
14-02-2006, 09:39 PM
not into music as much as sounds
music to my ears is the lapping of the water against the hull of the boat
cheers
blaze
ps
might listen to the footy or cricket if the in the mood

bushbeachboy
14-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Pure peace and quiet, very relaxing. Interrupted only by occasional shouts of "I'm on!!!"

Feral
15-02-2006, 05:48 AM
Be interested if people like to listen to music when fishing, if so what? Radio? Fav bands? or the sound of a screeming reel?
music? radio? sacrilege! fishing should be done in silence! dont you know you'll scare off the fish!

Panda
15-02-2006, 06:19 AM
The less distractions the better. Im too busy taking in whats going on around me when Im fishing to bother with music. Marine radio excepted.

revs57
15-02-2006, 08:41 AM
Ahh for the sound of mother nature:

...the lapping of water agains the hull

...the slapping of hull against the weather on teather

....the ripping sound of baitfish busting up chased by an unknown preditor from the deep

...the carooning of the gull as they call for another morsel...the chirping of a Mutton Bird as you remove a hnother hook from its beak

...the blow of the whale as it break wind beside you

...the whistling of the wind through the fishing line on stored rods in the rocket launcher

...the banging of sinkers against your lovely new paint job (or fibre glass)

...the crackling of the two way with another weather request

...the screaming of a reel as the drag lets you know another Snapper is on its way

...The whoosh of a squid as it inks your mate, your boat, your everything (for you Birdy)

...the sploot of the pelican poo that hits your deck as this ship of the sea flys overhead

...The beeping of the GPS alarm letting you know the anchors not holding

...The purring of the V6 on the way to fishing grounds

...the laughter of good friends as the sh!te banter begins

...the call of "if you don't get that thing up soon It'll go off ya galoot!"

Music??? all that (and I'm sure there is more) that's music to my ears!!!

cheers

rhys

bignick
15-02-2006, 11:53 AM
I usually listen to either the footy or the cricket, however screaming reels, especially in stereo, will get the nod every time. I remember one of the best night's fishing I ever had was back in 1995. I spent the night on the anchor at Cowan and I had the whole place to myself. It was dead flat with no wind and a bit of moon up. I sat there drowning baits, eating BBQ chicken and listening to the Aussie cricket team win the Frank Worrell Trophy in the West Indies. I don't get much better than that. Got a feed, too, if I recall correctly. Ahh, the great times of days gone by...

Cheers,
NICK.

Freeeedom
15-02-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm with you Revs57 - the sounds of the great outdoors are all I need. If you want to make enough noise to scare every fish between here and New Zealand - stay home! I've had good night sessions ruined many times by noisy and inconsiderate boaties. I've even had one deliberately start and rev his motor for a while when I asked him to keep the noise down because he would put the fish off (which it did for the rest of the night). I guess it takes all kinds
Cheers Freeeedom

bidkev
15-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Ahh for the sound of mother nature:

<snip>

...the blow of the whale as it break wind beside you

<snip>

rhys

Not to mention the beautiful aroma! ;D

kev

Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue.

NEWBY
15-02-2006, 03:32 PM
TECHNO.......
The "Beat of life". Duff duff.
I also throw in a lot of classics from 60's 70's 80's
Alpine stereo with DVD and 12 stack feeder.
2 amps totalling 1800 watts.
2 subs and 4, 3ways on the deck.
duff duff duff duff.

fish2eat
15-02-2006, 03:35 PM
TECHNO.......
The "Beat of life". Duff duff.
I also throw in a lot of classics from 60's 70's 80's
Alpine stereo with DVD and 12 stack feeder.
2 amps totalling 1800 watts.
2 subs and 4, 3ways on the deck.
duff duff duff duff.

mmmmm.......good way to clear a crowded anchorage

adam_ngakiri
15-02-2006, 06:26 PM
612 ABC when the cricket is on. Fishing and the cricket on the wireless. my 2 great loves.

fishsmith
15-02-2006, 08:02 PM
The boofing Barra's,nervous bait fish and the screaming reels...But definatley no music. The use of all my senses including hearing are important fishing tools to get in touch with and work out whats going on under that water..You have to think like a fish to catch a fish.... ;)

seatime
16-02-2006, 06:53 AM
Yep, like to keep it quiet when anchored in shallow.

But if it's not going to bother anyone else when trolling out wide,
Wolfmother, Gyroscope, Shihad they will get the blood pumping at
4 am, oh yeah

SCOTTYGC
16-02-2006, 08:45 AM
i like to listen to the footy or cricket
and if im out early a bit of macca on a sunday morning is good

never have it to loud to bother others but loud enough to hear over the jetskis

scotty

PeterT
16-02-2006, 11:14 AM
On the subject of entertainment while fishing:

When my eldest and youngest sons came up to Darwin early last year, we had several fishing outings, just like in the days when they were growing up.

On one night it was one of those perfect nights a father enjoys with his boys. Balmy tropical dry season weather, anchored on a wreck just off Govt house, the lights of Darwin, the stars, the ships moving in and out of Harbour. Not much action, just quite conversation.

My eldest, who is a self confessed techno freak with every electronic gadget known to man, pulls out a car navigator thingo and presto we are now watching a comedy movie on the lcd screen via an SD card. :o

Oh course this is totally against my religion and the 2 boys found my indignation very amusing. I love a good DVD, but in the boat with all of nature and an attractive skyline to absorb the senses?

Goes to show though that even in families, there are different tastes.

fish2eat
16-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Maybe a generational thing, my kids can't believe there was no such thing as TV when I started school. They have to be constantly entertained with moving lights and sounds otherwise they're bored in 5 minutes flat.

familyman
16-02-2006, 05:49 PM
A couple of things ,
1.My kids ask to go camping and then when we do they ask "where do we plug in the playstation?"oh well ::)different era I guess.
2.Just put a cd player in the boat and I am wondering if any one has had any problems with the unit being turned off ie disconnected from power via battery isolater?
3.Nothing yet as per #2
cheers jon

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
16-02-2006, 07:53 PM
I like the peace and quiet, no music, just quiet chats. Sometimes I will start singing "Who shall catch the fishy on the little dishy who shall have the salmon when the boat comes in!"

No one really likes that song.

Dave

dazza
16-02-2006, 09:33 PM
entertainment,
don't usually need much as the clown that is usually on board provides plenty of entertainment ;D ;D

bit hard to go past the footy or cricket though, don't mind the gg's and telebet.

i look at it this way, if i lay around the house on a saturday arvo watching the footy/cricket and having a few beers, i am the laziest prick around, i can do the same thing out on the water and if i manage to bring a feed home, i'm the best thing since sliced bread

cheers
dazza

el_carpo
16-02-2006, 10:40 PM
I take one of them "Shower Radio's" with me and listen to the radio.

Louis

PS: El Carpo

How do you go fishing in Lake Michigan?

Being a lake in the middle of a large city I imagine there is a lot of pressure on it. Is this the case? What is the population of Chicago?

Louis

Hi Louis,

Sorry for the late response. I forgot to look at this thread yesterday. You fish L. Michigan probably a lot like you would fish the ocean from a pier or dock. You're up about 10 feet off the water on a concrete walk. You do have to be VERY careful while casting because of all the passersby. Most people fish in the harbors from shore because the breakwalls keep the larger waves away but there are some places I go to that are exposed to them. I have a few stories there ;D.

It can get very crowded in some spots at times. The main reason being that the different fish come in at different times of the year and with that limited window of opportunity, everyone tries to "get theirs" while they can. I avoid the crowds. When I go to a place and see everyone piled in one place, I just fish the best next structure I can find and do fine. Unfortunately, when someone sees you catch one, they usually move right in on you. Leads to fights if they get too enthusiastic. ;)

You can also fish the lake from boat of course too. There are many charter boats available. You can fish for some really nice salmon and trout. You can't fish for perch from a charter anymore though (it's been banned). Good thing too. Perch numbers were on a cataclysmic decline but are making a comeback.

Species my brothers and I have luck with (mostly my brothers :P) are yellow perch (spring, summer and winter), smallmouth bass (spring), largemouth bass (spring and summer), rainbow and brown trout (early spring, late summer, fall, and winter cold is best) coho salmon (spring and fall) and the big chinook or king salmon (fall). All of our fishing is from shore. You can catch trout and salmon out far in a boat anytime but they only really come in to shore at very specific times.

The population of Chicago, if I remember correctly, is about 3 million but I'm not sure really. Of course, if you count "las pescadors indocumentado", it's probably more near 80 million. :o Aye caramba! ;D

Meh! Their food tastes good. Unfortunately, my Spanish and their English usually isn't good enough for me to know how to order it. ;D

Again, sorry for the late reply.

One more thing, if you're ever in Chicago and want to fish. Here I am. Also, If you get lost, head over to the Adler Planetarium and you will probably meet some of your fellow Aussies. I swear, every time I fish over there, I meet people from Australia (friendly all, and usually like to talk fishing with me). I'm guessing they see what miserable fishing we have compared to Australia and miss home so they hope to see it from our biggest telescope. ;D