PDA

View Full Version : is it a snapper or a squire

bowds13
16-02-2006, 11:17 PM
today i got in an argument with a mate at school over that squire arint the same fish as a snapper. i was saying that they are the same fish and he was saying that they are tottaly different he says he has seen alot of people say the same thing on t.v im not to sure who to believe to me they look like the same fish. i asked me grandad the same question and after 60 odd years of fishing i think he knows his fish pretty well. he said he has never heard of any one saying they are a different fish. i would like to know what you have to say about this topic.

cheers bowds

onerabbit
16-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Listen to your grandad, he should know.

Squire is small snapper

Zeeke
16-02-2006, 11:35 PM
a squire is a snapper... but until they get to 5kg. they are still a squire.. in my books ;D ;D

Tim

finga64
17-02-2006, 05:53 AM
diddo :)

Gees Zeeke, I'm not going fishing with you matey....

What did you catch today dear??? Ooh just a couple of 5kg squire :D

revs57
17-02-2006, 06:59 AM
Hi bdowds13

Invite him on a fising trip, catch a squire (juvenile) then a snapper (adult) then a knobbie (old man snapper) and show him the difference is in size...not coulouration/features

Be gentle with him...

the other way would be to just smile and nod knowingly...don't get all flashy or puffed up with your good knowledge ;)

all the best

rhys

Panasonic
17-02-2006, 07:09 AM
SNAPPER
Sci: Chrysophrys auratus

Common Names: As one of Australia's most popular and important species, snapper have earned an array of alternative names. "Red", "big red" and "reddie" are amongst the most common. Throughout much of Western Australia this fish is called "pink snapper", in order to distinguish it from several unrelated species, while for international record keeping purposes, the same fish is also referred to as squire fish. Snapper also have different names at various sizes in some regions. There was once a strongly established system of size-gradation amongst east coast snapper anglers. The smallest fish were known as "cockney bream", "cockneys" or "cockies", the next size up were "red bream", then "squire", then snapper and, finally, the largest were "old man snapper". Thankfully, this archaic system is now largely a thing of the past. However, in Victoria and parts of New South Wales smaller snapper - from legal length up to 1 kg or so in weight - are often called "pinkies", while the same fish in South Australia are known as "ruggers". Finally, it should be noted that snapper is still occasionally misspelt as "schnapper", usually by fish-shop owners and restaurateurs.

http://www.sportsfish.com.au/pages/fishing/fish-saltwater/snapper.html

gone_phishin
17-02-2006, 08:16 AM
"There is a progression of common names with growth; up to about 100-130mm (four or five inches) they are called Cockneys; at 450g (one pound), Red Bream; until they reach 1.4kg (3lb), Squire; and thereafter, Snapper......"

pp410 Guide to Fishes by E.M. Grant

Regards
Geoff

Figjamm
17-02-2006, 10:25 AM
the other way would be to just smile and nod knowingly...don't get all flashy or puffed up with your good knowledge ;)

Excellent advice Rhys #:)

d-man
17-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Could be just that your china plate watches too much Foxtel TV on that seppo sports channel! #;D
The yanks (and everyone else in the world for that matter) call members of the Lutjanid family "snapper" whrere as we would call them other stuff like mangrove jack, moses perch, fingermark bream, red emporer etc. Hmm, maybe we're wrong on this one? #:-/.
As far as I know only Aussies and kiwis call Chrysophrys auratus snapper.
But if you want to bet him that you are right, go ahead. I've never heard any say that squire and the snapper we know are different fish. You've got him on toast! Tell him to back his story up with some science or shut up. # ;)

Truck
17-02-2006, 04:37 PM
I have always thought they were the same fish and my way of telling them apart was squire don't have a bump on their head and snapper have a bump.

Anne-T-Dote
17-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah Boads, as everyone has said above: they are most definitely the same fish except that the small ones are called squire and the big ones are called snapper.

Everybodies opinion of what the cut-off point is between being a squire and a snapper is different, and to someone who doesn't catch very many of them (like me), the cut-off point is very small.... ;D ;D ;D

robersl
17-02-2006, 06:17 PM
ask fisheries they will tell you no such thing as squire all snapper now people were getting pinged when the 35 cm snapper size came in they told fisheries it was squire they had that was 30 cm and the reply was as above no such thing all classed as snapper and min 35 cm