PDA

View Full Version : WHICH SWEETY IS WHICH

ON-THE-CHEW
15-02-2006, 07:50 PM
I am after a couple of good quality photos if anyone has any of a spangled emperor and grassy sweetlip to use as fish id. We have thrown numerous fish back as we where not one hundred percent sure. If anyone has any photos they can post or explain what they look for to tell the difference would be muchly appreciated.

<")>< <")>< <")><

trout3030
15-02-2006, 08:15 PM
You can find a picture of a spangled emperor in the offshore reports section under Turkey Beach 11-02-6. Also check out the DPI fisheries website. They have an online reef fish guide with pictures and identification notes to all reef fish species. You can ring them or drop into one of there offices and also pick up a hard copy of the same thing. From memory its called coral reef fin fish field guide. It is a very handy book.

webby
15-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi On the left you have grassies and the right spangles.
regards

revs57
15-02-2006, 08:41 PM
either way they are both a great chew... ;)

banshee
15-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Spangled Emporer have a sky blue edge to each scale above the lateral line and most of the scales below,I've only caught them in CQ so there might be a colour variation in different areas.

ON-THE-CHEW
15-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Usually when you get a grassy on board its dark colours fade and make it difficult to tell the two appart.

David_P
15-02-2006, 09:15 PM
yellow sweetlip, or spangled emperor

http://www.fisherboats.com.au/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=2

chanquetas
15-02-2006, 09:24 PM
on the chew...thats quite a good pic of a spangled emperor posted by alchemy. Most importantly note the blue and yellow lines radiating from the eye of the SE.
This is a key determiner.
Cheers,
Jake

dasher
16-02-2006, 09:13 AM
I am after a couple of good quality photos if anyone has any of a spangled emperor and grassy sweetlip to use as fish id. #We have thrown numerous fish back as we where not one hundred percent sure. #If anyone has any photos they can post or explain what they look for to tell the difference would be muchly appreciated.

<")>< #<")>< #<")><

Check out http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/search.php?lang=English heaps of good info.

heres a close up of a grassy.

dasher
16-02-2006, 09:16 AM
Here's a close up of a spangled.

Touchy - R.I.P.
16-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Webby, Please stop taking piccies of my fish. T.><>

2iar
16-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks Dasher, I think that illustrates the difference perfectly. The grassy is the one with an open mouth, and the Spangled keeps his shut :D

I reckon the Spangled Emperor is known in Sicily as the Omertafish [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif] ;D

Goiod luck,
Mike

Fisher_Boats
16-02-2006, 03:21 PM
My Turn #;D ;D

Notice....one mouth open...one mouth closed lmao ;D ;D

On the Chew.... can email you some high res pics if you want

Haven't got any handy of redthroats

Cheers Col

2iar
16-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Notice....one mouth open...one mouth closed lmao ;D ;D

I rest my case. It would also explain why they're more difficult to catch ;) :D

Good luck,
Mike

Roo
17-02-2006, 02:48 PM
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/index.cfm

try this link.

cheers, Roo

Duncs
17-02-2006, 06:25 PM
I've had a look at a bunch of pictures of both species and the characteristic I can see is that on the dorsal spines, the spangled has 2 short ones followed by all longer ones of the same length while the grassy has 1 short spine and all longer ones of the same length after.
Going on colours is really difficult because they change so much depending on location and mood of the fish.

This is the grassy with 1 short spine on the dorsal

Duncs
17-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Then the spangled with 2 short spines

shaman
17-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Talking about sweetlip, when I first moved to qld 15 yrs ago I was fishn off coochie and kept catching these funny looking fish that I didn't know what they were, so I released them about 10 or so about 25-35 cms. When I got home I checked my referencebooks only to learn they were grassies. my neighbor bagged the crap out of me for months. Never got amongst em like that again :( Shaman