PDA

View Full Version : My Recipe For The Perfect Preserved Bloodworm

MulletMan
17-02-2006, 11:30 AM
I have been steadily improving my methods for years now and have a finished product that will have your woims staying fresh and useable for up to three months minimum.
I know the Metho dunking works pretty well but this is my way:

The first bit really hurts because we all love to put a fresh worm on right up!
Nope, I put 'em down the moment I buy them! This takes enormous will power to see a big, happy, fresh, wriggling worm seem to disappear before your eyes but trust me, I have caught more whiting in Spot X (25-35 cms) in the Rous Channel on treated worms than the fresh ones. One reason is that the treated worms can last up to five or more times before they are stripped from the hook. In other words, you will get 5 to 1 whiting on the rubbery ones - they love 'em!

1. # Drain the new worms and put them on any old flat surface
2. # (Be brave now) Cover them with course salt (NOT the fine kitchen stuff). Pool salt or course sea salt crystals preferably.
The worms become kinda active for a few moments but they chuck in the towel pretty quickly.
3. # Leave them for a maximum of ten minutes covered THICKLY and EVENLY in salt
4. # Lay down a dozen or more sheets of newspaper and after GENTLY SHAKING off the excess salt, spread the worms over one
side of the stacked paper
5. # Fold the other layer of paper on top of them and press down quite firmly - it won't hurt them (they're ded anyway!)
6. # Pick them up and again shake gently but DO NOT remove any salt that clings to them
7. # Get a Zippy Lock Bag and put the whole lot in one bag - more is better
8. # Throw in a teaspoon of Tuna Oil or Olive Oil and mix them up a bit. Close the bag up and put them in the crisper or meat tray
of the fridge.
9. # Do NOT FREEZE!
10. When you are using them, still try to keep them cool (NOT FROZEN) on the boat as they do not react well to direct sun or heat
(go all like mushy peas!)

That's it! They will last for many months (the best I have done is six).

The whiting attack them as eagerly as they do the fresh ones. If you can't hack the killing of your nice wriggley fresh ones, then just experiment with a few at a time till you prove it does work.

fish2eat
17-02-2006, 11:36 AM
PP does this work for beach worms as well or only blood worms??

Lone_Wolf
17-02-2006, 12:56 PM
Being on the top of the totem pole in the culinary arts, I thought I would make up a great seafood Valentines Day din dins for my missus tonight. And why not, Australia has the best seafood in the world, simply a matter of popping down to the old seafood markets/shops/supermarkets and loading up with the fresh, delicious little devils I was after.

The menu comprised:

Oysters
Sea Scallops
Sandcrab
Prawns
Nice chunk reef fish

..... AND WORMS!!! ;D ;D ;D

TIM-DONSELAAR
17-02-2006, 01:46 PM
sounds interesting ill have to give it a try one day

thanks tim #;)

fish2eat
20-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Bump .....calling Pink Panther

Lone_Wolf
20-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Stu, he is on assignment...digging worms.

fish2eat
20-02-2006, 05:18 PM
ROFLMAO........brilliant Scott

Lone_Wolf
20-02-2006, 05:32 PM
seems to be taking a little longer than even he expected.....

Lone_Wolf
20-02-2006, 05:36 PM
we will find him Stu, the Inspector is on the case

http://www.high-tech.com/panther/archive/pinkband.mid

fish2eat
20-02-2006, 05:47 PM
da dum......da dum..........da dum,da dum, da dum,da da da da daaaaaaaa, dum

couldn't attach an MP3 file.......

Lone_Wolf
20-02-2006, 05:54 PM
is it true, has he run away with Pamela?

fish2eat
20-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Ahhhhhh, so that's what he was preserving his bloodworm for!!!!!!

knew there was a point to this thread

Lone_Wolf
20-02-2006, 06:03 PM
fish2eat and Lone Wolf would like to state that this crapping on in no way undermines the respect and appreciation we both have for the information PP has shared with us to date. I personally hope there will be lots more valuable information shared with fellow Ausfishers.

Now PP, leave Pamela and come back to us... PLEASE!!!!!!!!! #

MulletMan
21-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I think the cartoons are great!!
I reckon Pammy and moi could do some great things together - slobber - pant pant - dribble!
Beats woiming any day! #;) ;) ;)

fish2eat
21-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Ok Pink Panther.......now that the Inspector has located you....back to the original question

Is salting the way to go for beach worms as well as bloodworms ??????

Lone_Wolf
21-02-2006, 01:56 PM
I think the cartoons are great!!
I reckon Pammy and moi could do some great things together - slobber - pant pant - dribble!
Beats woiming any day! # #

Zi Inspector vishes to weeport zat Pammy iss seeing a crickatur called Monsieur Warne... apparently via sms #;D ;D so she is not worth it PP !! Zo gled yur bak!!

Lone_Wolf
22-02-2006, 05:17 PM
pour manger,

la panthère rose pêchent-elles a-t-elle répondu à votre question sur les vers de mer? Devons-nous obtenir l'inspecteur sur le cas encore?

MulletMan
23-02-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeh guys, although I don't get to catch any sea worms these days, I did get a big bunch last time I was up at Rainbow Beach.
They kept well in the salt but I had to chuck 'em as never got around to using them.
Maybe the only prob with them is that in the catching operation, they usually get stretched by their neck pretty well and blood vessels usually burst in the process. If this happens, they go off fast but in the shops you can now buy preserved sea worms in salt but at a buck a millimtere almost, kinda xxxxxxy!

Nuffing huts my feelings Wolf!