PDA

View Full Version : funny how it works

JEWIENEWIE
23-02-2006, 02:08 PM
was fishing up at my favourite campsite at rules beach one arvo having no luck at all. no fish no bites nothing when my wife found an old wobbler lure that was washed up on the shore, no trebles on it so i put in my tackle bag and continued to fish with o action at all. My mind wandered so i thought i would take a closer look at this lure. After further inspection i noted that it was covered in some pretty serious teeth bites so i whacked on a couple of trerbles and thought i would give her a flick. First cast i got slammed and pulled in a nice flattie at 50cm.
I tried many different combos over the next week but always went back to this crusty old lure which always seemed to catch fish when i used her?
The best fish i got on that lure was a 77cm flat head,a personal best, but was busted off on a bigger one not long after, distressed about losing the only lure that was working for me, i began cleaning the catch wondering how i was oing to fish with no real bait or lures and a week toi go on my trip?
I grabed the remains of my flattie went to the waters edge to throw her in and as soon as she hit the water, beach worms came up from everywhere, you bloody ripper!
I managed to use that stinky flathead for a week, pulling worms for the rest of the week and keeping the rod bent with flathead dart whiting and even a small school jew!
From i am just about ready to go home to one of the most memorabloe camping trips. Isnt it funny how things work sometimes??
JN

Canoedle
23-02-2006, 02:11 PM
Nice story m8, sounds like a lot of fun. :)

fish2eat
23-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Makes me think, that if we were forced to be self sufficient, we probably could do it by going back to the old methods. Nowadays, we expect to pay $10 to get a magic hi tech lure that will do all the work. Ain't it fun catching fish on bait you collected yourself?? Now......where's my suitcase full of plastics?

JEWIENEWIE
23-02-2006, 02:35 PM
sure is fish2eat, every now and then me and a few mates will purposly go beach fishing witout bait or lures and see what resourses we can use to catch a feed.
JN

Lone_Wolf
23-02-2006, 04:20 PM
the old wonder wobbler, silver, simple, seriously underated twisted piece of metal.

timbacutta
23-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Jewienewie,
Congrats on an excellent week's fishing in a rather nice part of the coast.
With all this high tech stuff out and about nowadays, it is amazing what you can catch with an old wonder wobbler or similar. The humble old lead slug has been responsible for some of my best catches over the years. And if I was to look, I'm sure their is at least 1 wonder wobbler in my chromies section of my tackle box.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Jeff.

Boz
23-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Mate,

Makes me want to dig out the snorkling gear and go hunting for old lures.

Damn shame you lost it but sounds like it was well worth it in the end.

Great to hear :)

Boz.

aussiefool
24-02-2006, 03:52 AM
sometimes the one ways are the best ways... gr8 story m8