PDA

View Full Version : Wanted-Recipe for Metho worms

vanurose
21-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Once I was taken out fishing in Hervey Bay by a local and he used metho-worms. Between us we caught 2 esky full of whiting and he caught 5Xflathead as well. Ever since then, I have wondered what the correct recipe was in using metho. Several people since then have given me several different recipes, but none of those people belong to ausfish and I only trust ausfish info, as it has not failed me yet.
Also, I see Pink Panther has given a salt recipe and I will definitely try that one out.
But also does anyone know what a blood worm is? Is that the worm in the garden or is it another type of beach(sand)worm?
Here is a photo of my esky full of whiting.
I now only use whiting for live bait, so I will only ever need a few from now on up here in Cairns
Cheers
Rose

Pointyfish
21-02-2006, 07:52 AM
If your after whiting for bait you should get a throw net. They come in a variety of sizes so anyone can throw one with a bit of practice. That way you will also get mullet and herring for bait. Herring are barra jelly beans! Get a nylon net. They don't tangle as bad and don't cast a shadow.

fish_outta_water
21-02-2006, 08:13 AM
blood worms are tiny red worms , the sort of thing you feed aquarium fish , or tie flystyle on 20 hook for trout
take it easy

BAIT_MAN
21-02-2006, 08:45 AM
But also does anyone know what a blood worm is? #Is that the worm in the garden or is it another type of beach(sand)worm?

The blood worms that you asked about are found in the weed banks of harvey bay and the weed banks of fishermans island in brisbane. They are dug out with a fork and can only be gathered at low tide. Their is also a bag limit of 50 worms or part there off. These worms sell in bait shops for around $1.20 per worm. I find that they are the best bait for catching whiting.

fish2eat
21-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Wow, $1.20 a worm......you would want a fish per cast, especially if you were targeting whiting. I know they are deadly as bait but at least a beachworm that sells for $1.00 in the bait shops is much bigger and you get 4 to 5 casts from one worm.....might take up pro worming, give the desk job away. LOL

BAIT_MAN
21-02-2006, 09:04 AM
One blood worm should give you ten baits and if you put the head of the worm on the hook you will catch more than one whiting with the same bait.

fish2eat
21-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Rose,

as usual, the info is often here on this board, having been discussed previously
I did a bit of a search and found this:-

www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1117375057/0

Note that Drew (Surf_Sniper) is a pro wormer, so I think he knows how to preserve them.

Stu

Lone_Wolf
21-02-2006, 10:19 AM
One blood worm should give you ten baits and if you put the head of the worm on the hook you will catch more than one whiting with the same bait

Shane I don't think I have ever gone a whiting session fishing with blood worms without being bitten by these little suckers. OUCH!!!! God they pack a punch.

BAIT_MAN
21-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Copy that

GARFISH
21-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Rose,

relatively simple, place worms in glass jar, just cover with metho aloow to sit for approx 5 minutes, drain off metho place worms on paper towel pat dry, then freeze.

I used to do this with my left over worms after a few days fishing, would prefer fresh worms if available.

Cheers

Ross

killitfillit
21-02-2006, 08:36 PM
glass jar cover with metho pull out when needed and put on hook. only ever used beach worms makes them tough and the metho smell doesn't seem to bother the fish

once_bitten
21-02-2006, 09:49 PM
[smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif] [smiley=chef.gif]

[smiley=smitten.gif]WORMS ALA METHO [smiley=smitten.gif]

marinade approx 25 worms (any kind will do) in a glass jar of metho for about 5 mins then hey presto your ready to go [smiley=bath.gif]

goes well with a nice side salad [smiley=icqadd.gif] [smiley=icqflow.gif] [smiley=icqadd.gif] [smiley=icqflow.gif]

u can enjoy them as a tasty snack while on the run [smiley=laola.gif]

or as a nibbly while havin quiet beer with your mates [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

NOTE keep refrigerated after opening [ no smily 4 that 1 ]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheer Nino

sorry guys and gals i just couldn't resist that one

roz
22-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I now only use whiting for live bait, #so I will only ever need a few from now on up here in Cairns
Cheers
Rose

Might also pay you to learn how to use a cast net, I've just learned to use one, and I am sure if I can do it almost anyone else can.

R

vanurose
24-02-2006, 06:27 AM
I think your right Roz. I will try to learn to use a cast net. I also see your post on your new skill(cast netting)you have learnt successfully. I hope I can acheive the same results too. I am just worried that someone will be watching me when I make a mistake.
I also see that Pointyfish suggests I buy a nylon one as all the reasons for using nylon sound logical.
Thanks for the photos Roz of your perfect casts.
By the way, How long did it take you to learn?
Cheers
Rose