PDA

View Full Version : Unfortunate accident

FishFinger1977
22-02-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi all,
Well I won't write all the details as I am mainly putting this post up hoping someone may have found some of the gear that was lost. Also I do not want any SH!T. Brett has enough to deal with and Barn and I have some pretty heavy losses to try and work out. The incident happened at 3pm on Sunday off straddie. We were in Brett's boat finishing off the last of the spearfishing session for the day. He went beam too in a large swell near a prominent rock (not flat rock) and the boat was basically flipped, looking back we were lucky to have gotten out, Barn was thrown from it but Brett and I were left inside, I dived from inside out of what was left of the canopy and windscreen, I could not see anything but white water, got a little tangled in the gear but basically swam down as far as I could and out to avoid being caught again.

When I surfaced about 20m from the boat which by now was under the water with only the bow sticking out, we swam to each other and I dove down to the boat to try and retrieve some of the safety gear but the boat sank and could not keep up with it, I equalised twice while holding onto the bow rail but it was going down to fast. Seeing the boat sink below you leaving you in the water is an eerie feeling, one that I do not wish on anyone.

No safety gear came up bar the esky and a jerry can. Barn and I clung to the Esky, Brett on the Jerry. My hiking bag came up with some first aid and survival gear in it as I never go out without it. This bag was the only way we were saved in the end. No epirb as it went down. We swam around the back of the exposed rock, only 50m but that took 20mins against the awesome current, we were very lucky indeed to have made it.

Once at the rock we rode a swell into it and held onto whatever crevice was exposed. We lost the esky as we simply could not hold it as the water went away. Barn lost his grip but landed near me. Brett threw up my hiking bag and we pulled him up. Then we were truly alone. We made a yellow flag out of some waste bags I used as dry bags by cutting it up in lengths with my dive knife and tying it with para cord. We held it up and hoped someone would see it. We watched a boat go past. The esky had drifted south very quick with some reamins of bretts boat, mainly floor boards and stuff.

This was a new boat and obvisously had little in the way of positive buoyancy. We new that when the tide came in to high around 6ish we would be swept off the rock at night, separated and cut up more on the mussels. Not a good situation at all. It was then decided that we would leave the rock at 4:30 so to give at least 1.5 hours of swimming before dark and hopefully we could beat the current and catch the incoming closer to the beach. It was wishful thinking as though noone said it we all new without fins we would not have made the distance against it but as I said it was the better option than to be swept off at night.

The jerry was to be used to rest one at a time on the way. neither of us said much in the last half hour before we had decided to leave, mainly for me I thought about all the people I had at home and the things I wanted to make right. We were preparing mentally for the swim as it was very far and the uncertainty of shark attack and many other factors contributed to a strange feeling. One which I cannot describe. I do not want to try and be tough but having lost my best friend last weekend (Trinity my dog) I actually felt she was there and somehow new we would be o.k. No I do not believe in ghosts and stuff simply as I have not seen one but maybe there is something there looking over us.

Ten minutes before the swim a surf rescue boat could be seen in the distance coming over to us, talk about relief. We only then had to negotiate the swell, jump in and swim fast to avoid being thrown up again. This was done and we all never felt luckier to be alive. We would have donated something to them and given the backpackers who spotted us with their binoculars all the money we had if we had not lost it all on the boat. It was a credit to the lifesavers who actaully joked and said we livened up their day. Thank god for them.

Anyway I mainly put this post in as someone may have picked up some of the gear. We would very much like to have it returned as Barn and I have not got insurance to cover ours, my boat insurance is for on my boat only and the home insurance does not cover losses at sea. I've saved for years to get the stuff I had as did Barn and Brett. Below is a basic list

The list is as follows:-
Evakool E85 (floated away, we lost it when climbing the rock in the swell)
Rabitech 1.2 stealth carbon speargun
Omer America Float and bungie (these were attached to the gun)
Tld50 and Tld20 two speed reels
Two riffe masks
Captain Nemo Powerfins
Lure box
Gpsmap 60c Handheld Gps
Shark Shield 4hour
Mobile phone which I still have to pay for on contract
Wallet (thats harsh I can tell you)

Barn lost a seahornet Magnum Speargun, Cressi fins, Omer mask and snorkel.

Brett lost:-
Two abu 7000 reels
All his tackle (Well not all of it)
Orca Thula 1.2 Speargun
Bungie
Riffe float
Cressi sub Gara 3000 fins I think
and his boat with all the extras
mobile phone
wallet

Anyway If anyone has found any of the gear I would be very thankful to have it back, I know it is a longshot but I now have a boat with no gear to use on it and basically no money to buy anything else. Brett has been told he will get some of his stuff back on insurance with reciepts provided (no I can't claim on his either) At the end of it I can boast as being one of the only people to have gone on a $6000 fishing trip and returned with nothing. That being said there is a lesson in there and to have basically walked away with all our lives with nothing more than some deep cuts from the mussels we were very lucky indeed. Gear can be replaced but lives cannot.

If anyone can help you can P.M. me or P.H. 0417 407 919.
Regards Scott

Feral
22-02-2006, 07:38 PM
I reckon you'd be better off going and buying a lotto ticket!

The rest of your days are gunna be sweet, coz you have had a second chance, and not many get that!

The_Walrus
22-02-2006, 07:41 PM
Mate,

What an ordeal, thankfully, you all came out of it in one piece.

Possessions can be replaced but your lives can't.

I hope you get some of your gear back.

Luc

tonyp
22-02-2006, 07:44 PM
That is one scary story,glad you are able to tell it.

Hope you and friends get some of your gear back.

Reefmaster
22-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Well as I said before Scott gear can be replaced but lives can't.

If anyone has found any of the mentioned gear please give Scott a call. He is a nice bloke who lives to fish and spear and deserves better. Poor bugger still has his boat but no gear to use in it. :(

Please respect his wishes of no unwanted Crappy post's from people as there is more to this then needs to be told and scott was just unfortunate to be there.

Regards Greg

The boys were out there when we were and this was Sat afternoon with there efforts. Oh and the boat before getting smashed the next day.

Fishinmishin
22-02-2006, 07:54 PM
Real shame mate...but good to hear only gear and a boat were lost in the end. Any chance of a dive salvage cause depending on depth I can get my hands on some tanks and don't mind lending a hand.
Notifying some fishing clubs might be an idea as I'm sure someone will be pulling some dollies off the eskie or with the SE winds we got coming, I'd notify the n. Stradbroke ranger to keep an eye on the beaches.
Some quality gear is MIA but at least no lives were lost. The swim wouldn't have been a desired option for me.
Cheers, Jay

Darryl
22-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Scott i'm glad you all got out ok mate, your very lucky fellas in one way.

Dont know if it would help ya mate but i have a spear gun here that i bought and never used. Dont know why i even bought it too tell ya the truth.

It's yours if you want it mate, it's a Sea Hornet Recruit and your more than welcome to have it..

I know it's not much mate but it's yours if you want it..

Darryl.

szopen
22-02-2006, 08:13 PM
You guys got into a rough situation and did come out all alive.
That is the most important thing.

I hope some of the stuff can be recovered maybe the boat as well.

Good luck.
Honestly.

FishFinger1977
22-02-2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks guys for the good thoughts. And like it has been said to be alive is the real bonus. I bought a lotto ticket so we'll see how lucky one can be.

Greg thanks for the pic mate and the kind words. I'll be shore to pass the pic onto Brett as well. It's a shame Barn Laden lost that hat of his too, I kinda had my eye on it.

Jay the offer of a salvage mission is very much appreciated mate but I do not care to see that rock again and to be honest with the current raging like it was there would not be much there but a lot further south. I will contact the ranger tomorrow and hope for the best.

Cresrtcutter, thanks for the offer and i'll p.m. you as I am interested. Oh and i'll give you something for it.

Regards Scott

Huggy_B
22-02-2006, 08:19 PM
Glad to hear you got out of the situation safely. All the best for the future.

fishin_till_late
22-02-2006, 08:21 PM
hey sorry to hear about your experience, atleast it was only the boat and gear lost rather than yourselves. I hope you dont mind me asking but what was the make model of the boat just so maybe other owners of the make can be a little cautious.

jono

szopen
22-02-2006, 08:26 PM
To be alive is not a bonus.

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN LIFE.

Big_Ren
22-02-2006, 08:49 PM
Hey Scott

Firstly, thank God you guys got out of a real scarey situation. To add to Jay's comments, I don't know exactly where this happened, but it might also pay to contact the rangers on Moreton and maybe Coastguard Manly and VMR Raby Bay....they are on the water all the time and come across all sorts of things floating at times. Can't hurt I suppose. The main thing is that for whatever reason....vigilance by the backpackers or just plain good luck....those lifesavers arrived in time to save you boys from a treacherous swim. You should also give yourselves a lot of credit for staying calm and putting together some contingencies. As all who have posted before have said, your safety and that of your crew comes before everything else and that is what you have successfully salvaged. If it helps in any way, I have an old Penn GLS45 fully spooled and rod that I am only too happy to give to you or whoever wants it. Just PM me if this might be of some use. I am coming through Brisbane on Saturday so can bring it with me and rendezvous if you like.

So glad the important things were saved!

Cheers
Paul

subzero
22-02-2006, 08:51 PM
Gidday Scott, good luck with the Lotto ticket.

I remember both you and your Dad sitting your radio licenses back in December I think it was.
No matter how much you try to prepare, if "Old Poseidon" wants your boat and gear he will take it in an instant.

All the best to you and your mates, give my regards to your Dad
Cheers Lloyd

Grand_Marlin
22-02-2006, 08:54 PM
It just goes to show how easy it can happen.
Sorry to hear of your ordeal.
It certainly brings back memories :'( :'( boat lost, all gamefishing gear lost, and no insurance to top it off. That was in '92, and it still $hits me when I think of it.
I know it certainly feels like the biggest kick in the teeth right now, but as you play it over and over again in your head over the coming weeks, you will then realise how lucky you three really are.

Chins up guys,

Pete

Angla
22-02-2006, 09:11 PM
It sounds like you all kept cool heads during your ordeal. Then you formulated a plan to highlight your chances of rescue and finally a backup plan.
10 out of 10 for your actions.
Great to hear of your safe return from there and best of luck with getting back out there.

Angla

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
22-02-2006, 09:21 PM
That is one horrifying story Scott. You fella's make sure you keep talking to each other about the incident especially over the next couple of weeks. It is strange sometimes how a 'delayed' reaction can set in if things are forced to the back of the mind.
Know as well that there are plenty of people on this forum that wish you all well. Puts a whole new meaning on life and love and family when you come so close to not being around anymore.
Others on this thread have offered some gear, and although I am in Rockhampton, I have a couple of rods and reels that I would be happy to send to you blokes. They're not flash, mainly suited for estuary work, but you just say the word and they will be in the mail.

Cheers and best wishes to all of you

Dave

rando
22-02-2006, 10:53 PM
Gee, that is such a frightening story. I am so glad for you and your mates that you suffered only minor injuries.
I applaud your coolheaded handling of a desperate situation.
I doubt that given the same circumstances I could have contemplated such a swim.
Congratulations on a good outcome, and good luck in the future.
I know its a great loss, but those material things are nothing, you will replace them in time. And as fortune would have it, you will have that time.
Kind Regards
rando

Sportfish_5
22-02-2006, 11:06 PM
Good words Rando. Material things come and go - the most important things in life are family, friends and good health - all in between dont matter without those 3.

Glad to hear your all safe.

Cheers

Greg

MulletMan
22-02-2006, 11:37 PM
Lucky guys.......................
I've got a new and unused Garmin 12XL Handheld GPS (semi waterproof) you can have fellas!
PM me or call on 0437 547 787 and it's yours!

Thunderbird
23-02-2006, 03:12 AM
Scotty when i first opened this thread i thaught you might of backed the truck too far down the ramp.
The three of you are very lucky to be young and fit otherwise the outcome may have been fatal.
You were always a bit shy no lures i've got some here with your name on them. some vmc hooks as well 5,6 and 7/0's and a tackle box to put them in.
Sorry to drown your hopes on getting your stuff back but if it sinks it's gone!
Just glad you guys aren't :)
cheers birdy.

DICER
23-02-2006, 09:05 AM
I think you'd be surprised even in the current, things still stay attached to the boat (though the current is stronger close inshore). What depth did it go down and how far from shore? If you are thinking of going out there time is not on your side.

Good luck with the gear retrieval. It was a lucky escape.

bidkev
23-02-2006, 10:19 AM
My heart goes out to you mate. A terrifying experienceScott, but congratulations on you and your mates keeping your cool. I don't have a God, but I really do believe that some things are meant to test us. You and your mates are now aware that when tasked with a life threatening situation, then you are prepared for it and I'm surtre you'll be much better people and mates because of it.

I also believe that when we are "saved" it is for a reason and that there is a higher purpose to our lives. Last night, I watched the Aussie girl who lost her legs in the London bombings, she spoke of this and how her outlook on life had completely changed and how she wanted to help others.

I know what it's like to lose nearly everything that was dear to me, and as I said, there must be a higher purpose, so the 100 bucks I save, when the deckie says she's coming off the grog for two days, is yours mate ;) ;D Just PM me your address.

Oh! And listen to what Dave (Reel Naughti) says. Keep talking about it with your mates and keep an eye on each other........delayed shock can manifest itself in many ways.

kev

If you have much, give of your wealth; if you have little, give of your heart.

mickstar001
23-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Some bad luck to you fellas thats for sure - would never want to be in that situation, sounds like you handled it better than what i would have - a credit to you!

Lone_Wolf
23-02-2006, 03:38 PM
Scott,

I was out there on Sunday. We trolled for hours in that area til 12.30pm. Reading your story, the simple fact that we called it a day only hours before your incident makes me realise how some events in life are sometimes all about chance and being in the wrong place.

Whilst reading your story, it did cross my mind, how at that time of day, so many fishos call it a day and head home. It's so true you may well have been alone out there given the time of day, but for a group of vigilant and caring backpackers being in the right place to save your lives.(it's sort of ironic using those two words together)

Thank you to them and all concerned with your rescue. I am glad I am reading your version of events and not from a local paper. I sincerely hope this event does not stop you enjoying a pastime that has brought you so much fun over the years.

Regards

LW

JEWIENEWIE
23-02-2006, 03:51 PM
mate, you guys did really well to stay calm and deal with a heavy situation. One comment i do want to make is that i have major trouble dealing with the fact that rescue services such as SLSC, westpac chopper etc need to have sausge sizzles and fundraisers alike to put petrol in their choppers and boats to help save valuable lives. This is the biggest joke! These guys and girls volunteer their time for training, they put their lives at risk, and have to sell sausages on weekends to do it. Their services have saved thousands of lives and will continue to do so, Our government need to stop spending money on trivial matters and give these guys%100 support. Maybe Johnny Howard needs to be dumped at sea and require rescuing before things change.
Had to get that off my chest boys and again i dont know the people invoved in the above incident but very very happy that they are here to wet a line again!
Stay safe
Jewinewie

2iar
23-02-2006, 04:33 PM
It's a very sad story to have to tell, but I'm extremely glad that you and your mates are here to tell it!

Good luck with everything.

Mike

FishFinger1977
23-02-2006, 04:39 PM
# #Thanks very much guys for the positive feedback, it really makes you feel a lot better. #I do agree with jewienewie in the area that more funding needs to be put to help the volunteers. #I know if I win lotto i'll certainly help.

# #Also to all who have offered gear, money (kingtin) and anything else it is very appreciated and once again helps you to feel a lot better. #I only hope that one day I can repay the favours in some way.

# #The old hiking kit has had a major overhaul too and will live it's life in the "poddy" (my boat). #Lloyd it was my dad and I on that course and I have passed your regards.

# #Oh and we will be out again in the very near future as it has not phased us just made us a little more aware of the safety gear which most of the time is put in the cabin out of the way. #I will get some fender holders and attach them at the back of the boat in sealed yellow containers with what would be almost overkill in the survival gear. #Also a little blow up life raft as well from k-mart as a scared man will blow that up in a jiffy.

# #Once again guys thanks very much and hope to see you on the water sometime. #My callsign is poddy on vhf 21. #Regards Scott

bidkev
23-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Scott, with regards to the safety/survival gear. There are sealed (extremely strong) reinforced pvc bags for sale on ebay a lot cheaper (and it appears better) than Whitworths and the like.

I now have all my gear in these and they are hung by the strap over the steering wheel. They float even when full and come singly or in a set of 3 assorted sizes. They are to hand at all times and are a lot better than having the gear stored under the bunks. Just a thought..........if you're interested, Colac Girl can provide you with the url.

kev

If you set the example, you won't need to set many rules.

FishFinger1977
23-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Kev,
I certainly will have a look at them and maybe a lot more of us for that matter. Colac girl if you see this post could you post or p.m. the url? Regards Scott

kingcobe
23-02-2006, 05:11 PM
Sorry to hear that mate. I know it is not much but I will give you 3 weeks of my pocket money($25). I hope you and your mates pull through.

Cheers

Jay.Jay

FishFinger1977
23-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Kingcobe,
Your dad has already made a very generous offer and your kindness too is very much appreciated, pocket money is hard to come by though, shout yourself something nice and give your parents a strong drink as they are very good people. Hope to see you guys and everyone else on the water soon. Regards Scott

sunny
23-02-2006, 07:07 PM
What a terrible story and how great that you all made it out alive. I think it can only be due to your level headedness and determination to stay alive. Just thinking about risking that swim back to the beach makes me shiver.

You're not the first to meet grief at the hands of a swell coming off those rocks. I know of a fully loaded dive boat, an inflatable, that did exactly the same thing. The boat survived, but twelve sets of dive gear were lost. If something that big and heavy can flip, it's all too easy for a smaller boat. I think your story serves as an exellent warning to others. Stay away from rocks when there is a swell running.

If you change your mind about about trying to salvage her, I'm more than happy to help Jay. I've raised a bigger boat and while its not easy, it can definitely be done. Depending on the conditions, there's a small chance she may still be intact.

Figjamm
23-02-2006, 07:55 PM
Scott, with regards to the safety/survival gear. There are sealed (extremely strong) reinforced pvc bags for sale on ebay a lot cheaper (and it appears better) #than Whitworths and the like.

I now have all my gear in these and they are hung by the strap over the steering wheel. They float even when full

Have you tested this Kev? I meant to during our last trip out and forgot.

--
Bev

Lone_Wolf
23-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Quote from kingtin on Today at 16:50:36:
Scott, with regards to the safety/survival gear. There are sealed (extremely strong) reinforced pvc bags for sale on ebay a lot cheaper (and it appears better) than Whitworths and the like.

I now have all my gear in these and they are hung by the strap over the steering wheel. They float even when full

--
Bev

Hey Bev, Ross just called out for a beer from the shed!! ;D ;D ;D

bidkev
23-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Scott, with regards to the safety/survival gear. There are sealed (extremely strong) reinforced pvc bags for sale on ebay a lot cheaper (and it appears better) #than Whitworths and the like.

--
Bev

Not yet, but it's all about displacement. If an 85 litre canvas rucksack filled with army gear floats, then I'm sure these do...........I'll drop it in the fish pond tomorrow ;D

kev

If you want to feel rich, just count all of the things you have that money can't buy

Figjamm
23-02-2006, 08:41 PM
I certainly will have a look at them and maybe a lot more of us for that matter. #Colac girl if you see this post could you post or p.m. the url?

Hi Scott,

Just search on ebay for -
IMPROVED WATERPROOF BAGS
http://www.ebay.com.au/

Glad you guys survived your ordeal. I'm sure your story will make many people more consious of where the safety gear is stowed.

--
Bev

Figjamm
23-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Hey Bev, Ross just called out for a beer from the shed!! ;D ;D ;D

LOL, I'm not on shed duty tonight ;D

--
Bev

kingcobe
23-02-2006, 09:54 PM
Scott
I know how hard it is to save up money and I wouldn't like to start saving up for a whole lot of fishing gear all over again. I only spend my money on fishing tackle but I have all the tackle I need so I 'm more than happy to help you out.

Cheers

Jay.Jay

seatime
24-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Very lucky indeed guys, it sounds like you had your wits about you during your ordeal. It musn't have been your time.
Having that time to reflect on your situation whilst sitting on the rock, you will no doubt view the world just a little bit differently now. Heed the signs, my motto.
Good luck with getting your gear back, you're probably right about looking Sth.
We lost a mate in similar circumstances in '78.
He was out there on his own in a 14' abalone diving so he could put food on the table for his family.
The upturned boat was found down main beach near the pin the next day.
Trevor was never found, R.I.P. Trevor C.
Remember, what doesn't kill us , only makes us stronger (something like that). cheers and good luck for the future.

seatime
24-02-2006, 07:21 AM
reading my post I better clarify, not abalone diving, diving out of a Clark Abalone 14'. regards