PDA

View Full Version : Hello Sailor

Alex9797
24-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Was reading thru a few of the older postings and noticed a few remarks about members serving on various ships in the RAN/ RN. I was curious how many members are ex Navy.

I am happy to start the ball rolling. RAN 82-88. Served on Brisbane and Vampire and other exotic locations such as Cerberus, Penquin and NAS Nowra. Starting to feel very old with one of my ships a museum piece and the other a dive site. :D

cheers

Alex

theoldlegend
24-02-2006, 12:58 PM
One now a museum piece and the other a dive site !! ::)

Mate, you sound like me!! My daughters reckon I'm a museum piece. :-[

I scored a tour on the USS Ronald Reagan on January 26. The first place they take you is the merchandise shop, so I bought a cap with more gold braid on it than you could poke a stick at.

After the tour, you have to exit via the merchandise shop once again, just in case there's something you might have missed on the way in.

There was one of those Gatling guns on display in the hangar below the flight deck and they told us they are electrically operated. Might see if I could get one and plug it in to a power point in the shed. Getting the 20mm ammo might be a bit hard.......................... ? :-?

Also, my fishing mate is ex Navy. Do I qualify?? :-/ :-/

Take care,

TOL

blaze
24-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I fish with an ex navy guy, must ask him what boats he was on
cheers
blaze

bidkev
24-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Alex.

I'm ex Infantry, ex Royal Marine Reserve training Sea and Marine Cadets. The deckie is ex Fleet Air Arm (aircraft engineering mechanic working on Sea Kings).

Her dad and mum (God bless 'em), were British Navy and her dad (Lt Cmdr) came over on the Diamantina and served a 3 year exchange at Cerberus 59 to 62. We only discovered this when he died last year and he left us his old memorabilia (ships plaques etc). The deckie was born at Frankston when he was serving at Cerberus, which is how she came to have Australian citizenship.

kev

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

chanquetas
24-02-2006, 08:08 PM
Not royal, but Merchant Navy for past 25 years and still at it.
Too many vessels/companies to mention.
Cheers,
Jake

gropeher
24-02-2006, 11:26 PM
RNZAF,
The air force may be a bit of a joke their now, but, U=

subzero
25-02-2006, 04:18 AM
I chose the wrong service. NZ Army, 10 Tpt Coy (Linton). Was only Territorial for a few years. (Reserve's)
Wasnt until I arrived in Australia that I developed a love fror the oceon, oh to be young again :'(

aussiefool
25-02-2006, 05:29 AM
yep ex RAN (beagle), 75-81, Leeuwin,Cerbus,Watson, Melbourne,Hobart, back to Melbourne ,kuttabul,Stalwalt and then the big ship Citizenship

Blinky
26-02-2006, 02:09 AM
RAAF
75 SQN
78-98

DNO40
26-02-2006, 06:49 AM
RAN 79 - 02

Vampire, Torrens, Swan, Mermaid

Shore postings - Nirimba, Cerberus, Kuttabul, Creswell, Navy Office, and Vanuatu.

DNO

harry_h01
27-02-2006, 08:31 AM
Ex RAAF

86 thru to 99

F111 and Iroquois

After that went to Nowra as a Defence Contractor on the Seahawks.

After that, configuration manager for the Defence Air Traffic Control Radars.

Harry

Volvo
27-02-2006, 09:17 AM
;)Ex Dibdab. Cerberus, Stewart,Sydney doin milk runs for most the draft on it , Balmoral etc..
Good ta see another Pusser or two onboard :).
Cheers