PDA

View Full Version : Can I help a wheelie mate catch his 1st fish?

Scalem
01-03-2006, 09:39 PM
Hi all,

A very close friend of mine, Dave, has never caught anything bigger than a bream from land. He is truely inspirational with his acceptance of his condition which is brittle bone disease, or Osteogenesis Imperfecta http://www.oif.org/site/PageServer.

I need a few ideas about how to get him in and out of the boat safely in his wheelchair, and I think in my small boat the 1st big wave I hit may jarr his back, but he has been whale watching in Hervey Bay, so large cats or something stable and not affected by chop would be OK. Going on a fishing charter without due care for Dave's special needs might also be risky if the skipper does not slow down when the water gets a bit rough. Apart from the risks, Dave is amazing with what he will tackle and truely will inspire all those he meets. He just finnished putting up a car port and loves 4WD'ing - Except for the time I snatched his RAV out with my Pajero ::) Sorry mate, I just had to put that one in!!

One day I might have put a good day together for Dave, but I will need more ideas to help me do that.

See what you guys think?

Any thoughts appreciated

Scalem

Scalem
01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Dave is not a small guy either.... Not the best photo, and no, he was not on on the booze, just a little tired I think while out camping with us.

finga64
02-03-2006, 06:31 AM
Gidday Brian,
Mate, just pick your day and go a little sssssllllloooooooooowwwwwweeeerrrrrr.
To everybody that doesn't know Brian. He has 2 speeds. Idle and flat maggots ;)
Don't get me wrong. Brian is a top bloke and [smiley=thumbsup.gif] for trying to help a bloke a little less fortunate then most of us.

Even the big fellas aren't impervious to the odd bang of the hull.
Use a boat ramp with a jetty to make it easier for your mate to get in and out.
Long story short....I was watching a guy down at Evans. He just dumped himself out of the chair onto the jetty next to the boat. Whilst his mate took the chair back up to the car the wheely crawled up to the side of the boat and literally rolled himself in. #:) pulling himself up on the front deck of the tinny and away they went. The wheely with a stubby in his hand and a smile on his dial :).

Rocketrody
02-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Can Dave transfer from his chair by him self i have a boat that i have moderfide my Boat it has a small track jack that i have bolted to the floor. and mounted a seat yo it and this is how she gets into the boat. I only take her fishiong with winds off no more than 10 to 15 knots. but she has been court in 2 mt waves in wich i did get her home in one peace. my boat is a 14 ft runner about pride i think with a 50 maraner on its back as my wife has something along the same line off problem as Dave. I will post s pic off the chair in the boat if you like to see it. Im on the gold cost. PS sorry for my spelling it aint the best. 8-)

BrandonH
02-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Thats a bugger:( I know a mate of mine is in a chair but dosn't have any bone problems. He actually owns a 14foot tinny and goes fishing quite regualry!! always with a mate but its amazing what he can do himself. Maybe a trip up north a bit (around bundy) and get him inot one of the creeks would be better? no big waves to worry about there but better fishing;)

cheers
Brandon.

Sandman
02-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Scalem,
In Brisbane i assume ? I helped out awhile back with a fish off the combie trader worth following that up , As you may or may not know i work within the disability industry , I use to run the accomodation centre in Brisbane and had a few keen fisho's , we had a ball.

I have also discussed this with a friend we are keen to try and set a permanent service but the $$$ are difficult as well insurance.

Get hold of the combie trader ( the owner) he organised the event .
If not give me a yell and i will see what i can rattle up.
Mick

Scalem
02-03-2006, 08:06 PM
Gidday Brian,
Mate, just pick your day and go a little sssssllllloooooooooowwwwwweeeerrrrrr.
To everybody that doesn't know Brian. He has 2 speeds. Idle and flat maggots ;)
Don't get me wrong. Brian is a top bloke and [smiley=thumbsup.gif] for trying to help a bloke a little less fortunate then most of us.

Even the big fellas aren't impervious to the odd bang of the hull.
Use a boat ramp with a jetty to make it easier for your mate to get in and out.
Long story short....I was watching a guy down at Evans. He just dumped himself out of the chair onto the jetty next to the boat. Whilst his mate took the chair back up to the car the wheely crawled up to the side of the boat and literally rolled himself in. :) pulling himself up on the front deck of the tinny and away they went. The wheely with a stubby in his hand and a smile on his dial :).

Finga, thanks for the compliment... The rolling into the boat sounds a bit of a worry. Dave sneezed heavily once and cracked a rib, so rolling himself into the boat worries me.

Rocketrody

You are right on the money there, I would love to see a photo of your setup, even if you can't spell ! ::) This post will be fine. Dave can actually walk short distances and can negotiate steps quite easily. It's always the safety that is most important.

BrandonH

Dave might not get around as easily as you or I, but what he lacks there he runs rings around me for patience and host of other things. I want him to hook up to a Tuna or Queenie or something that will stretch his arms a little.... Up creeks might reduce the chances a little.

Sandman

South Brisbane to be exact. Yes I imagine a permanent set up for disabled people would be difficult, and insurance is a big consideration if you were doing this as a business. Insuring against able bodied people is already too big for many, let alone for special needs people. Great idea, I would like to know more, I will have a look.

Thanks everyone for the response!

Scalem