PDA

View Full Version : Still Around

Daintreeboy
01-03-2006, 08:12 PM
Gday all.
Just a quick note to say I'm still around the fishing circles but have been without a computer for a bit. I still am actually but I've jumped on Moffy's while he's up in Weipa fishing, the dirty mongrel. He's just texted me to say he's landed a 1.45 m Barra, yeah right. Anyway I'll be back on deck in a little while, hope to catch up then.
I'll leave with a nice pic I took of Moffy from just the other day when we picked up my brothers new Polycraft Frontier (it's huge) from J&B Marine in Ingham. Caught from Brittomart Reef (first time out that way)
Cheers, Mark.

Scott15
01-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Very nice. heard there good on the table!

Daintreeboy
01-03-2006, 08:18 PM
no take these days mate, it was released asap.
Cheers, Mark.

philip_thomson
01-03-2006, 08:22 PM
awesome looking fish those barramundi cod.

good stuff

Fishin_Dan
01-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Looks like you caught it on a handline.... How'd it fight?

Beautiful looking fish!

Good to see your still around too Daintree! :D

cyclone
01-03-2006, 09:47 PM
Always seems to be heaps down that way. I've seen lots in the last year while diving they look unreal underwater they let you get right up close for a good look very pretty. Thought you must of been taken by a big fingermark over summer daintree.

Tony_N
02-03-2006, 05:33 AM
I'm reliably told that the b. cod are on the increase since they became a protected species. #Leo_N. says he catches them very often whereas a couple of years ago they were a rare catch.

Also glad to hear that you are still around daintree boy. I spend a lot of time on this site #[smiley=blush.gif] * and its amazing how you notice when some people haven't posted for a while.

*I do have a life - but I blame the weather for interrupting my fishing. Bought a river boat so i could do stuff for when we can't get outside and now its rained for weeks and the river is full of crap :'(

whinge, moan

Tony

Mick
02-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Definately, definately, definately, definately on the increase. I would nearly go as far to say that the b cod is in plague proportions! Dived brittamah a few weeks ago and saw no less then 10 that size - possibly the one you are holding too. Saw at least 50 for the day and these are not a schooling specie of fish.

Dived old reef about a month ago (off Cape Upstart) and there would of been 1 in EVERY bombie inside the lagoon. Funny thing is the other fish that I saw most was the maori wrasse and the qld grouper. 3 no take species and they were the most prolific species I saw all day.

THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF BARRA COD!

roz
02-03-2006, 12:37 PM
I was once told they (Barramundi cod) are the best eating fish bar none!

I later heard they are not an eligible species.

Amazing looking fish.

roz

Tony_N
02-03-2006, 06:56 PM
I was once told they (Barramundi cod) are the best eating fish bar none!
roz

Several years ago before travelling to see some friends near Gulgong(west of the Great Dividing Range) I bought a barramundi cod and a coral trout at the Sydney Fish Markets to give them a treat. The b.cod was OK, but for mine, the trout swam rings around it for taste.

Tony

I understand that the b.cod were very popular as a live fish in Asia - they used to be exported live like trout for that market.

Lucky_Phill
02-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Yo Mark, certainly long time no see/ hear !

Miss ya ............NQ reports mate !

Nice.........Albino Spotted Barra-codi

Cheers Phill

cyclone
02-03-2006, 09:25 PM
I agree Tony I killed one a long time ago and ate it very soft flesh nice but not trout. Also agree with Mick in that there appears to be lots of wrasse and b- cod around now when diving just find it hard to think the no take would be the reason just yet.

nonibbles
03-03-2006, 07:54 PM
Daintree who?
Noticed you missing but just knew you'd be back so really didn't worry that much. Where are the fingermark this time of year?

onerabbit
03-03-2006, 09:00 PM
I think fresh coral trout has to be the best eating fish there is, like eating lollies, you just cant stop, especially if it was caught that day.

Muzz

Daintreeboy
04-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys. Moffy put up a report recently of our last exploit on teh Fingermark. Did you see the pic of his? It was a beuty so we're still into em, gotta luv em eh!!