PDA

View Full Version : Empty boat trailers..

DR
03-03-2006, 12:32 PM
who has noticed empty boat trailers on the road.

while driving into the city this morning i had a van with NSW plates & an empty QLD plated boat trailer behind fly past. my first cynical thought to amuse myself was "wonder where he stole that"

so my question..is it worth a pinned thread in the 'lost & stolen section' along the lines of 'empty trailers i have seen' or similar. so when we see one, take down vehicle & trailer rego, list trailer rego only, so anyone who has had one nicked might see it & contact the poster for the vehicle rego

Bad idea?? good idea?? shutup & go fishing???

seabug
03-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi DR
No
It is a GREAT idea

If it gets popular and lightfingers see it on here it may deter them

Regards
Seabug

The_Walrus
03-03-2006, 12:39 PM
Great idea especially if when you see one, you can get both the vehicle & trailer regio.

Mind you, once a stolen trailer is interstate, how long before it is re-registered?

Luc

longtail
03-03-2006, 02:52 PM
great idea DR , but i have a flaw with it tho . eg last w/end saw me put the boat in at reddy bay and go over to set up camp at blakesleys , i then got a lift back to reddy bay from one of the guys to go home and pick up the family (with empty trailer attached to car) then came back down to the ramp and got darryl to bring my boat over to pick us all up.

i know it sounds complicated , but we only have the one car .

i would hate to be confronted by someone claiming that i 'stole the trailer' , surely i am not the only person to have done this.

anyone else in the same situation?

cheers
jason

2iar
03-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Hi Longtail,

I think what DR means is that if your trailer gets stolen, have a look at the "Lost/Stolen" section to see if someone has spotted it being driven around, and then you can get the rego of the tow vehicle to provide to the cops...not so that Ausfishers can confront anyone driving an empty trailer for legitimate reasons.

I reckon it's a good idea, but I don't know if it'll take off...it's a bit of effort, and generally people are pretty slack until it's happened to them.

Good luck,
Mike

sf17fisherman
03-03-2006, 03:54 PM
IMHO i think in part it is a good ider but i think the person that had it stonlen should put the rego up and if you see a trailer getting towed you then can check and see if that rego is listed as stolen

i live in a coastal town and every day i see a heap of trailer getting towed without a boat being on it and there are as many resaons why as there are boat trailers

personly i have done it a couple of time when fixing the trailer (easyer with the boat off) and also once because we left eh boat key at home

fishin_till_late
03-03-2006, 04:43 PM
I think it is a good idea also but will agree with sf17fisherman's theory would work alot better.

DR
03-03-2006, 05:05 PM
I think it is a good idea also but will agree with sf17fisherman's theory would work alot better.
have to disagree, i personally would not be checking on a regular basis to see if someones trailer has been stolen, not my trailer , not my problem..to me this is how things are going these days, everyone wants everyone else to do things to make their life easier, your trailer, your problem, people would just be providing a service by listing any sightings..

when everyone has to go in & check if there is new ones on the list on a regular basis. don't think most would bother.
the general idea was,see a trailer, add it to the list forget about, you lose a trailer it is up to you to check the list on the off chance yours is there..
just my opinion

Figjamm
03-03-2006, 06:21 PM
great idea DR , but i have a flaw with it tho . eg last w/end saw me put the boat in at reddy bay and go over to set up camp at blakesleys , i then got a lift back to reddy bay from one of the guys to go home and pick up the family (with empty trailer attached to car) then came back down to the ramp and got darryl to bring my boat over to pick us all up.

i know it sounds complicated , but we only have the one car .

i would hate to be confronted by someone claiming that i 'stole the trailer' , surely i am not the only person to have done this.

anyone else in the same situation?

Yep, been there, done that plenty of times after dropping the boat and the other half at the ramp, then picking them up again at a designated time.... or after the long waited for phone call ;)

fishin_till_late
03-03-2006, 08:10 PM
have to disagree, i personally would not be checking on a regular basis to see if someones trailer has been stolen, not my trailer , not my problem..to me this is how things are going these days, everyone wants everyone else to do things to make their life easier, your trailer, your problem, people would just be providing a service by listing any sightings..

when everyone has to go in & check if there is new ones on the list on a regular basis. don't think most would bother.
the general idea was,see a trailer, add it to the list forget about, you lose a trailer it is up to you to check the list on the off chance yours is there..
just my opinion

#Mate the reason i said this was because 95% of the time im sure the reason a trailer is towed without the boat there'd be nothing sus about them. #My dad drops me off at the ramp, tows the trailer home and picks me up at a certain time all of the time. Alot of friends of mine do this also. #Maybe we should look at writing both the car and trailer rego's, but only post the trailer rego. #If someone puts they're hand up and says yes that trailer was stolen then maybe we can post the car rego. #Just an idea :)

Poseidon
03-03-2006, 08:46 PM
How far do you go. Do you then keep a list of rego numbers of cars parked outside a bank, just in case its held up?

The concept of being vigilante is admirable, to take it to the next level and post details on a public forum could prove to be reckless.

Keep the information in a notepad, when next someone posts a stolen trailer you could scan your records and save the day. How many trailers are actually stolen from boat-ramps? I had a quick look in the "lost and stolen" section and noticed a few complete packages, not too many empty trailers.

Just my opinion.

Regards Cameron.

shano
03-03-2006, 10:19 PM
ripper idea i will be posting any i see~~!!! you can count on that!

Feral
04-03-2006, 05:27 AM
If your worried about losing your trailer you should chain it up, only takes a few seconds, or if your real worried park elsewhere, or pull a wheel off it.

Good idea though, dunno about how well it would go, Fisho's are a lazy lot! ;D

DR
04-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Wow, some of you really do miss the point....

Cam, read my first post properly..

Longtail, if you haven't stolen the trailer, you will have no problem... only ausfish members with stolen trailers would look at the list, unless you forget that your wife has taken your trailer home & you put it on the list ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

it is a very simple & basic idea...i know very few will bother, & there will always be someone that will come up with a reason why it won't work, there will be some that will complicate it by trying to improve it, some will improve it, others just plain won't give a sh*t, thats just the way it is.
i just like to see who is who.... ;)

Poseidon
04-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Dr, when I read your post I read it properly. I've re-read it and yes its still the same.

I've no issue with regos being noted and kept for reference just in case someones trailer actually is stolen, a crime, however to post soemones trailer rego on a public forum who are only going about their daily lives could create an awkward situation for both parties.

If you truly suspect a trailer as being stolen, as you mentioned in your first post, then get it off your chest and contact either the QLD Police or NSW Police as you would imagine that they would maintain a database of this kind of information.

The concept is noble but a little askew.

Regards Cameron.

DR
04-03-2006, 09:53 AM
however to post soemones trailer rego on a public forum who are only going about their daily lives could create an awkward situation for both parties.
Regards Cameron.

why???rego numbers are out there for all to see..all day, every day..i think they would be seen by just as many people on the way to the boat ramp as would be seen on here, probably more, as i don't believe that many would bother to look at the list anyway.
no-one would be accusing anyone of doing anything wrong... just noting empty trailers...no-one would be posting vehicle regos...
if the trailer is not stolen, how can it cause anyone any problems having the rego listed. surely you don't think someone off this board would be dumb enough to accuse someone of stealing their own trailer :-/

dfox
04-03-2006, 10:51 AM
As much as i hate thieves theres a number of issues here.
If the trailers an old one chances are its not stolen, if i was a thief id at least steal a newer trailer in good condition, so any old trailers can be fairly well excluded.
Secondly if a thief is out to make money why take a small trailer worth at best mear hundreds of dollars when a larger trailer maybe worth thousands, so this maybe taken into concideration.
By the time a trailer is reported stolen any smart criminal would be long gone, changed the plates or at least have the stolen property hiden from public view.Driving around days later with the stolen number plates still on just doesnt make sense.
I'd personally be suss of any interstate number plated car towing a queensland plated trailer, especially one in good nick. Really only something obviously out of place like that would warrent maybe writting down a few number plates.
Of course i maybe wrong because there are some stupid thieves out there, but the smart ones are the ones that you overlook...

Poseidon
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
I can understand the point you are making above Dr and agree that rego numbers are out there for the world to see.

What troubles me is sometimes an innocent post on a forum can get sidetracked half way through, like the old Chinese Whisper, and its then that somone posts something riduculous that deviates the thread into something more dark and gloomy, then the accusations fly. Its OK when everyone follows the rules but it only takes one slip of the keyboard and it goes pear shape.

You may post the rego of someone who takes the sudden interest into his daily business the wrong way and it could be 'on like donkey kong'.

I agree with keeping an eye out and am 100% behind you in taking notes but must disagree with the posting theory.

Regards Cameron.

sf17fisherman
04-03-2006, 04:14 PM
100% agree with cam

personlay i would hate to see the list and find my car or trailer regos on it just because i put the boat in for a freind or i have put my boat in to do something with the trailer

i wouldn't even be suss with seeing a nsw car towing a qld rego trailer as there are plenty of nsw trators moveing that way

gone_phishin
04-03-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't see the hassle with the rego number on here as it is just that....a rego number..... not the key to someones backdoor! If I spot a rego number on here what can I do with it??? As far as I'm aware I can't go to the police and find out that that is Joe Blogg's rego number ......oh, and by the way, this is where he lives....nah, don't think that will happen.

I see Dr's post as what it should be...a possible way for Ausfish members to help other Ausfish members...maybe not putting the car rego on here, but if someone has lost a trailer, looks on here, finds his rego, contacts the Ausfish member who posted it, and, hopefully, gets the car rego number off them, well, sorry guys, I'm all for it!!

Why would anybody think their personal property, privacy, or integrity, was under threat by something as simple as this? I don't think Dr meant "let's take a photo of the car, trailer, and maybe the person inside, and post it on the net for the world to see"...no, I think a simple 3 letter, 3 number series would be fine, and I'd happily back it.

Im sure that none of us are going to see a number on here, go out and see it in the street, and come out fighting for the sake of returning a trailer to its rightful owner...not gonna happen!!! But if the OWNER sees it here, at least he may be able to get the thieving mongrels through the police.

Geoff

shano
04-03-2006, 10:29 PM
if you see your number plate there just say "nope it is not stolen thankyou for keeping an eye out but i was moving it"

i have mine locked with the coupling lock! and i personally would not care if my number plate was was put up if someone saw it on the road!
thing is there is no numberplate on my trailer as i use a light board the plate is on that lol
so i dont see the problem!

roz
04-03-2006, 10:37 PM
Pretty good idea Dave,

Some form of community based policing/awareness. Better than doing nothing at all.

Go for it.