PDA

View Full Version : Clean Up Australia Day - Schultz Canal

Fishin_Dan
03-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Morning all :D

The missus and I were talking about how it would be good to get involved with the "Clean Up Australia Day". We had a look online, and noticed there wasn't anything in the nearby area... So after a bit of discussion, we decided that we will start up an area for the day. The place was for me to decide, so I though I should give something back to the system I fish every now and then, and we have lodged in with the proper authorities to have a "Clean Up Australia Day" at the Schutlz Canal.

For those that don't know where it is, it is the creek system that runs behind the Toombul Shopping Centre (North Brisbane) through to the airport, and at one part also flows into the Kedron Brook Floodway.

So...... We are looking for volunteers who would like to take part in this wonderful activity. I am not sure on all the exact details yet, but I will post them up when I get them. I think that you just need to bring a pair of good gloves (And no lycra shorts Lucky Phill!!! ;) )

I will probably also put on a BBQ for Ausfishers that chip in afterwards, and I'm sure I won't be the only one having a couple of beverages! More than likely I will also have a fishing rod around somewhere, so there is always the chance of a fish afterwards (In the then pristine clean waterway!!!)

If anyone is interested, please post up here, and I will let you know the specifics when I can.

PM me if you require any specific information before hand.

Cheers,
Dan

(P.S - If possible moderators - Could this become a "sticky thread" at the top so it doesn't get lost... I think it's a very good cause for everyone!)

ShaneJ
03-02-2006, 10:37 AM
Can you get up the Schutlz Canal in a boat?
I had this same idea the other day, but I was thinking more along the lines of a creek a bit bigger. That way people can get up there in boats and remove some plastic bags, bottles etc

Canoedle
03-02-2006, 10:47 AM
I will be in this, have often looked at that canal and wondered if there's anything lurking below the surface. Good on ya for organising it and keep us posted.
Cheers,
Karl. 8-)

Fishin_Dan
03-02-2006, 11:00 AM
ShaneJ - You certainly can get up there in a boat! If you launch at Kedron Brook (Nudgee Boat Ramp near Nudgee Beach) and instead of going left to the bay, head right. It's suprising how big the Schultz Canal actually is!!! You can get the boat right up to Nudgee Rd overpass in there! Schultz Canal is really quite big... The further you go towards Nudgee/Airport, the bigger it becomes. There's quite a few smaller creeks running off it too (Which means lots of rockbars for Mr Jack to live on! ;) )

Canoedle - Good to hear mate! :D Don't believe the skanky creek you see at the Shopping Centre... It just hides the fish better so they grow BIG! ;)

Everyone - OK I think that the meeting point on the day will be the carpark at Albert Bishop Park (On the Shopping Centre side). This will also be where all the rubbish will be collected from. So I think it it essentially meet there, from there go out and collect rubbish as far as you can, then meet back at the carpark for the rubbish drop off. I may have the BBQ there, but may have it at my house (About 3 minutes drive away)....

More details as I find out.

roz
03-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Fishin_Dan,

I couldn't see the date mentioned anywhere (maybe I didn't look hard enough)
but if I am near Brizzie at the right time, I would love to be part of the team.

regards Roz

The_Walrus
03-02-2006, 12:01 PM
I'll be in it.

Any idea of the date?

Luc

Fishin_Dan
03-02-2006, 12:32 PM
OK - The date is Sunday the 5th of March.

So far, the people we have confirmed are:-

1) Me (Fishin_Dan)
2) Canoedle
3) Luc

Potentially ShaneJ & Roz (Although Roz I think you said you will be back in 1770 then)

ShaneJ
03-02-2006, 12:39 PM
Can I get to the meeting place by boat? If so, i'm fairly keen to do a bit of a creek clean up.

Fishin_Dan
03-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Ummm... The meeting place is not quite by boat no... Amost though :)

You can come in the boat, and we will work something out.

black_sheep
03-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Fishin_Dan,

Great to hear mate. I am currently organising a clean up day at North Pine Dam and will post dates on that soon.

I would also love to assist with your clean up providing I'm available. May have to work that weekend. I live at Wavell Hts and used to fish Schultz Canal all the time. Used to catch and release a heap of whalers up there when I was a kid. We also caught heaps of flatties, bream, catties and muddies and have also cast netted big sea mullet. One afternoon, we even saw a huge jew fish cruising the banks.

Haven't been out there for a few years now so not sure what the fishing is like. We got up there in the boat but at low tide she can shallow out unless your boat draws little water.

I'll send you a PM closer to the date.

sunny
03-02-2006, 01:43 PM
Nooo :o :o :o
You can't go removing all that lovely bream structure ;D

But seriously, count me in. I'll even see if I can get the better half to help out.

Navi
03-02-2006, 04:52 PM
I'll be there as long as nothing happens between now and then famliy wise,

cheers Chris #8-)

Fishin_Dan
04-02-2006, 12:04 PM
Updated List:-

1) Me
2) Canoedle
3) Luc
4) Sunny
5) Navi

Potentially :- ShaneJ, Roz, black_sheep

chanquetas
04-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Dan, you can add myself and my missus. We always collect rubbish everywhere we go, throw it in the back of the kayaks. So we'll bring them and cruise up and down doing the same, is it okay to troll while we clean?

Cheers,
Jake and Carmen

Fishin_Dan
05-02-2006, 12:18 AM
I would almost be offended if you didn't!!! ;D

Although the thought of freshly caught shopping trolley on your BBQ that night is not the most mouth watering thought!!!

ROLFMAO!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Canoedle
06-02-2006, 01:52 PM
Fishin_Dan,

Great to hear mate. I am currently organising a clean up day at North Pine Dam and will post dates on that soon.

When's the north pine do happening m8? I would be keen to do this one too. It's been a while since I was up there.
Cheers,
Karl.

roz
06-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi fishin_Dan,

The M&G isn't on until the 11th, so don't count me out.

Will let you know, either way.

Regards Roz

Freeeedom
06-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Dan - I'm a likely starter as well. How much of the canal are you intending to work on? There's a map of the canal attached (although it's not very detailed). Like ShaneJ I would probably come in by boat (after launching at Cabbage Tree Creek) since my legs tends to give out after an hour or two. High tide on March 5th is of 1.8 metres at 1.14pm. Low tide of 0.68 metres is at 7.32 am. It would be a bit later up the creek. This means we would be working up the creek on a rising tide in the morning.
Cheers Freeeedom

Fishin_Dan
06-02-2006, 06:32 PM
OK... There are no exact amounts of how far along we will clean up...

Attached is a rough picture of where I think we will be around...

The red line is approximately where I think... The red cross is the carpark of Alfred Bishop Park and where the meet/rubbish-drop-off area will be. The green line is the Nudgee Rd & Gateway overpass. This is about as far as you can get in a boat (Depending on the boat, tide, etc). Up until there it's relatively deep (Around 3m-5m in depth). If you launch earlier in the morning, it would be worth trawling a few lures along the banks here with all the overhanging trees, mangrove banks, etc... Lots of good flatties & bream. Also a lot of potential for a few other species as well...

Canoedle
07-02-2006, 12:47 PM
I am way out western suburbs, can anyone give me some clear directions from say the ICB?

Fishin_Dan
07-02-2006, 01:31 PM
Where abouts in the western suburbs mate? It depends on where you are coming from....

Canoedle
07-02-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm at Anstead, if you don't know it, it's between Karana Downs/Mt Crosby and Bellbowrie/Moggil

Fishin_Dan
07-02-2006, 02:08 PM
OK... Jump yourself onto ICB heading towards the Sunshine Coast. Stay on the ICB and take the Sandgate Rd (Albion) exit. This drops you onto Sandgate Rd.

Follow this through Albion & Clayfield. You will come to a set of lights for the East West Arterial Rd, that goes to the gateway & airport... From there you are nearly there...

Here's the street map from the lights to the park:-

(The purple cross is the lights at Sandgate/EW Arterial)
(The green cross is the carpark at the park)

Canoedle
07-02-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks, should be easy as now. :)
The other maps posted earlier just confused me a bit.
Cheers.

Navi
11-02-2006, 01:53 PM
fishin dan, I can supply the bags thick plastic ones that are used for mulch,( I work for a plastic bag company) only if you need them would hate to turn up with a heap of them and not need them....

Cheers Chris aka Navi 8-)

mon
13-02-2006, 06:14 PM
Fishin Dan. Great idea. I'm about 75% sure me and the family will be able to help. Will confirm within the next week or so.

MON.

land_based
13-02-2006, 10:17 PM
I regularly fish here dan so you can count myself in and my missus if work permits.

Fishin_Dan
14-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Excellent! Good to hear Rob.

MulletMan
16-02-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm in! :) :)
My boat is too big to get in there but if you can find a spot on a tinny or something I am particularly brilliant with a gaff or a boat hook.
Good a bit of a sus knee so can't scramble over the rocks like the younguns anymore. :( :(
Are you going to get this into the Sunday Mail with Ian Grant?
He would give you a lot of support in his column but you would need to contact him right now to have a chance in the SM
If you don't have time, let me know and I will do it for you asap
Likewise your local rag at Nundah may also put in an article?
And the Council is always (?) ready to help out with a truck for all the junk etc.
Maybe the local Councillor would like his pic in the paper slopping through all the cr*p on the banks. They love that sort of stuff!

MulletMan
16-02-2006, 12:43 PM
Almost forgot ..........................
Have you thought of contacting VMR Sandgate to maybe help out with a boat and volunteers on the day?
Schultz's Canal is in their own backyard and I am sure they would love to get some publicity and do whatever they can...
Give Ross Sugars the President a call and tell him Ian Fischer ex VMR Vicky Point said he has to do it!
3269 8888 should start you on the way.
Wonder of Coastguard Redcliffe could also be suckered into it ..... maybe a bit far away!

Fishin_Dan
27-02-2006, 08:12 PM
OK all... Sorry for the slackness in replying to this post :'( Very slack of me...

But I'm back! So here we go!!!! ;D

The details for Sunday are as follows:-

Date: Sunday 5th March 2006
Place: Carpark of Alfred Bishop Park (Hedley Ave, Nundah)
Start Time: 9:00am
Finish Time: 1:00pm (But you can leave whenever you want)
Area: Starting at the carpark and working towards the aiport as far as we go...
Stuff To Bring: Gloves, Sturdy Shoes, Sunglasses and Sun Protection

You are also supposed to fill in this form and bring it on the day:-
http://webzoom.freewebs.com/fishin_dan/CleanUpAus%20Volunteer%20Form.pdf

The list of people (from what I can gather ::) ) is:-

ShaneJ
Canoedle
Luc
Black_Sheep
Sunny
Navi
Chanquetas
Freeeedom
Mon
R0b
ThePinkPanther
(Nemo84 - I'm just telling you ya going! ;) )

Navi, you mentioned you could bring some plastic bags... If you want to bring a few, that'd be ok. We do have a few, but It's probably better to have a couple too many, than not enough...

If you have any questions about it, you can email me at fishin_dan@ausfish.com.au or call me on 0414540880.

Cheers all, and see you all Sunday!

Dan

P.S - Roz, did you work out if you can make it?

Canoedle
27-02-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm actually quite excited, oh, we're picking up rubbish, ah well, sure there will be some good fishing yarns and a beer or two afterwards. might even throw some SPs around too. Cya there.

Sergio_kutz
27-02-2006, 09:47 PM
As much as i would love to attend, i've got to work :( with uni back on i need to make up the hours on the weekend. Have a good day peoples and watch out for those needles and pointy things. I think it'd be great to see some pics of any fish caught on the day so everyone here knows that there is something that you are cleaning the creek up for so they have a nicer place to live.

Sergio

Navi
01-03-2006, 06:04 PM
dan,
I can't make it sorry but my boy is going in to hospital on friday and I want to be with him.....once again sorry.

cheers Chris 8-)

Fishin_Dan
01-03-2006, 06:08 PM
That's no good Chris! I hope all's well for him & yours!

The_Walrus
01-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Dan,

I'll be unable to attend due to a family comittment :'(

Luc

Fishin_Dan
03-03-2006, 02:44 PM
If anyone has a small box trailer I could borrow for the day, that would be awesome. Please call my mobile, or PM me...

Want to take the BBQ down to the park and get a sausage sizzle going for ya's all... I went and had a look if there was electric ones there last night, but nothing.

I will be trying to get there early and get a hold of the seat/table area undercover for the central point.

roz
04-03-2006, 01:05 PM
due to some bad organisation Dan (at my end), I will be unable to attend. I am hoping you might get an ausfish team together for next year, as I can't think of a better reason for a get together, apart from fishing of course!!

Sincere apogogies

Roz

Canoedle
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
Car's fixed! I'm there :D

Fishin_Dan
04-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Not an issue Roz! It's all fine!!!

See you tomorrow Karl!

For everyone who is coming, its probably wise not to wear your best clothing... Especially shoes... With all this rain, it may be a little muddy. But on the up side, it looks like it should be ok for weather tomorrow ;)

And hopefully this rain has flushed out some baitfish to get the bities biting :D

Lone_Wolf
05-03-2006, 08:17 AM
Re: Clean Up Australia Day - Schultz Canal
« Reply #39 on: Yesterday at 21:09:56 » Not an issue Roz! It's all fine!!!

See you tomorrow Karl!

For everyone who is coming, its probably wise not to wear your best clothing... Especially shoes... With all this rain, it may be a little muddy. But on the up side, it looks like it should be ok for weather tomorrow

And hopefully this rain has flushed out some baitfish to get the bities biting

Dan,

You are doing a great thing here but I think your outlook on the weather is optimistic to say the least. I cannot believe that we can have no rain for so long and the weekend you plan this outing, the heavens open up with gale force winds ta boot!!

Good luck I hope it goes well>

ShaneJ
05-03-2006, 08:28 AM
Sorry guys, I think i'll be staying in doors today :(

Fishin_Dan
05-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah she's a bit wet out there.... Sunny looked like a drowned chicken (If you saw his legs you'd understand ;D )

It's been modified to beers @ the Hendra Bowls Club at lunch time!!!