PDA

View Full Version : Calming the Waters- A dive skippers view

capt_trev
09-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm Trevor, skipper of Brisbane dive boat Esperance Star.
Recently I had an Ausfish member on board who told me of the friction occasionally expressed on Ausfish by members frustrated by some "at sea" interactions with dive boats on some of the popular sites around Brisbane [and elsewhere]. I thought I would visit the sight, check out some of the greivances and perhaps respond in a constructive manner. Well at the risk of getting shot down in flames, here goes.
First let me say that I can honestly see the issues from both sides. Prior to buying and operating Esperance Star I was a professional fisherman and have aways been and still am an active recreational fisherman. I catch fish recreationally on almost every trip on ES, usually to bolster the menu on board with a little fresh seafood [I find very little resistance to this amongst divers, there are way fewer 'greeny' divers than you might imagine]. Let me also state from the onset that no matter what walk of life you may hail from, there will ALWAYS be the ###### element involved. There are as many ###### divers and dive boat operators as there are ###### fisherman [thats life]
On MANY occasions I have been abused by fishermen for 'bargeing in' on sites, and have on MANY occasions had fishermen arrive and drop there anchors so close to me that i cannot even see them under my bow whilst standing at the wheel of ES [again , thats life!].
So here is my take on a few things......
1] As far as Im concerned, its a free ocean. If I'm parked somewhere feel free to anchor right beside me, but please be observant, check for bubbles right under you, approach slowly and remember that we are probably only there for an hour so if you anchor directly in front of us you will be over my anchor, making it difficult or impossible for us to retreive it without virtually running you over. Conversely, if I have steamed for an hour and a half just to dive, say, the St Paul, with divers having been briefed at length and having spent ages preparing their gear for the dive we are fairly keen to do it and WILL try to get on the wreck [or site] if its possible to do so safely. Diving a site like the St Paul requires that divers be extremely competant and a lot of preperation MUST go into diving a site that deep. Once we've decided on doing the site its a major drama to re-evaluate and go somewhere else [the same applies for any site in the 40 metre range]
2] I've seen on Ausfish that some fishermen have been told to 'piss off' by dive boats arriving at sites. My advise is to politely ignore them [Throwing sinkers or abuse wont acheive shit]. Dive boats have no right to do this and throwing up a dive flag doesnt give them any further rights. Dont be bullied by a dive flag, but dont be a bully.
3] If you see a dive flag up on a boat for christ sake dont scream by at 30 knots within 10 metres of the boat. Divers regularly have problems on the bottom and routinely surface rapidly nearby, chopping one up with a prop will ruin everyones day [especially the divers]
4] At Curtin Reef, divers will often move around well away from the boat. If they end up under you, remember that its probably only a few minutes before they move on. Often we have courses being run on board that require divers to visit a particular wreck [for wreck penetration exercises] or go out to a particular depth [for deep diving exercises]. These dives are generally short, less than half an hour [from leaving the boat to being back on board], so the divers wont hang around long.
5] To the north of Curtin there is a great wall dive that we call 'the pines'. We do this as a drift dive, which means that the divers get in at one point and drift along the wall and are picked up down current [Sometimes we do this at Curtin Reef as well]. Plenty of fish are there between the tides, if divers are under your boat there its only for a minute at the most, and the fact that the dive boat is hundreds of metres away from the divers is no big deal, we havent 'lost them'.
6]There is a common MISCONCEPTION that divers scare fish away. This is just not true. If the fish are biting, they are biting. I cant remember how many times I've actually witnessed fish being hooked right in front of me whilst I've been right there watching, underwater!

In short there is no reason why we all cant exist out there without misunderstanding and abuse. If dive boats bully you around, ignore them, they are wankers. If anyone wants to discuss any matters whatsoever about dive boats and why they do what they do, feel free to email me at ...trev@#############.com.au
On our website we have plenty of wreck GPS marks in the 'dive sites' section that are availalble to everyone. The datum is WGS 84 and the marks are deadly accurate.
I hope that this post is received in the manner with which it is intended, for the good of both dive boats and fishing boats

Nathanrb4
09-01-2006, 01:00 AM
Welcome to the site trev and well said.

Any_Weather
09-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Mate welcome aboard. I am sure if we all share the same attitude as you, we will all enjoy the ocean and everything it has to offer. Look forward to fishing some of those marks so we may see you out there one day. Enjoy your diving and fishing.

Lee

wiseguy67
09-01-2006, 06:40 AM
g'day Trev,
Welcome to ausfish.
I have been diving for 21 years and fishing for as long as i can remember.
Great post informing the masses.
Respecting each other and the enviroment is essential for harmony above and below the waves.

I agree with the emergency ascent situation. On occasions while guiding (I am a Divemaster) or pleasure diving when one has to make an emergency ascent is a test of ones self control and nerves in most incidents.
There is nothing worse while making an ascent whether under duress or ending the dive, to hear a motor approaching, if visability is poor and surface conditions choppy it can be quite nerve-racking to say the least.

Well informed fishos and divers is the answer to symbiosis.

W@nkers are the hardest to educate.

I haven't been diving for a year and reading your post; wall drift, wreck dive etc gets me charged for a session of bubble blowing and conversations with the fish on a differnt level than line and hook.
Cheers, Gerard

just for for fun~ check out the sea horse i found the other day ;)

razorline
09-01-2006, 08:13 AM
Trev, well said. I've been a keen follower of ES's site for many years now and could only wish that all skippers of all boats (rec or pro) had the same thoughts as yourself.
PS. Thanks for the marks of our favourite fishing spot :D :D one such wreck of Noosa, could you please go and change the marks on ES's site QUICKLY. ;D ;D

Cheers Liam Booker

Gazza
09-01-2006, 08:35 AM
Hi Trevor , fair comments mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Could you go a step further ,and let a few 'diveboats' know , when a few ausfishers report a bad situ...or maybe dangerous i.e. to close to fishing boats.

be aware that most boaties have trouble seeing a crabpot float at the best of times........ [smiley=oops.gif]
be aware if a boats fishing ,there is sometimes a blowfly mentality that attracts other boats from other directions....... [smiley=jester.gif]

basically Trevor ,although you make valid points, a rapid ascent diver bobbing-up 5~10 metres in-front of a boat , lines in, about to move
IMO is an un-necessary 'closeness' ,and unsafe.
i.e. we can't see you guys ,nor wish to harm or carve you up.

brentasauros
09-01-2006, 08:58 AM
I..always..respect..dive..boats

sackrash
09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Welcome again Tev and well put forward,
May I add the dive boats are a minority in this situation and the amatuer fishermen are the majority in the ###### stakes.
Let me say before every one jumps down my throat and starts abusing me.
I am an amatuer fisherman from a professional fishing background, from my experience I have seen far more fisherman abuse fisherman than divers.
I to have placed a whinge on this site about idiots that pull up on top of you just because they think you may have caught a fish.
I believe a little bit of courtesy and manners from the "Ive got the weekend off and I will do what I like types".
Good luck with your buisness and may all of the wankers forget to put their bungs in.

brett_rokesky
09-01-2006, 11:08 AM
Hey Trev well said.

We can all get along,though I believe that some boaties need to read there boating manual if there anchoring across your bow??? 8-)

Or are they the ones that didn't pay $160 for there licence?

capt_trev
09-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I dont really mind if someone anchors across my bow, unless I need to leave, then it becomes a hassle because as you know we have to motor forward to get above the anchor in order to extract it from whatever hole we have dropped it in. Speaking of holes, if you guys check out the gallery on my website there is a great sonar image of Curtin Reef on the first page, plus some other shots of the wrecks I have listed, some of it may be helpful

GBC
09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Well said Trevor,
Can you tell the sinker story again it was one of the best reads I've had for ages. :D
I can vouch for the bullying tactics from both sides.
Having a 'red' eclipse almost drop his anchor on my rear deck (5.5m boat) was not fun. This was early morning on St Paul. My dive flag was up and I had 2 guys on the bottom. Thankfully they heard the anchor and got out of the road - no harm done.
Kudos(allways wanted to use that in a sentence) to you for approaching my boat on the same wreck with the same 2 guys in the water on a different occasion, and asking what the situation was, upon seeing the floated line. "They're not doing f%^&*n deco are they?"....yep...."F@#K". Probably reads a bit harsh in print, but it was a fair question and a fair response from a fairly big bloke under a fair amount of pressure, and I would rather this than the former approach by the other skipper.
Again Trev, thanks for taking the time to make the effort. There are a lot of water users in our part of the world, and education works better than anger.

sunny
09-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the site Trev,

You raise some good points in your post, but I doubt anyone is speaking of you when they mention dive boats on this site. #Some dive boat skippers are just whole a lot better at finding those places that aren't swarming with fishos. #

I've had one or two hair raising dive trips with people who shall remain nameless where we were put down on Curtain Artificial and it was like playing dodgem with all the fishing lines. #On days like that, I think it's much better to find one of the other nearby reefs that are less likely to have anyone fishing on them.

I learned quite a bit about how rigs behave underwater from those dives. #Folks, when everyone here says "less lead is better", believe em. #It makes a huge difference to the way a bait behaves.

Its been far to long since we caught up. #I'll have to persuade the better half it's time for another ES trip. #8-)

Big_Ren
10-01-2006, 12:07 PM
Welcome to the site Trev. Nice to see such a balanced perspective on this issue. For us, our waterways are really a pleasure playground that sometimes we don't fully appreciate. Even more important is that we all can share this great resource in a responsible way that respects the rights of other, whether they be fishermen, divers, pleasure cruisers etc etc. Remember, our worst day on the water (insert weather disclaimer here) is always better than our best day at work. ;D

Cheers
Paul

schnapper72
08-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Trevor being a diver and a fisherman i understand both sides of the story but agree that the ocean is there to enjoyed by everone. so well said and welcome

schnapper72

rajawolf
08-03-2006, 04:23 PM
Trevor, #

Well said mate.... you have informed me to a lot of things that I did not understand. # :)

Cheers,

Tony

rando
08-03-2006, 04:37 PM
Good read Trevor, thanks for the info.
Im a landbased fisho but its always useful to get information . One day Id like to join the power boat brigade , so having an insight into how dive boats operate is all good info for the future.
cheers
rando

Mick
09-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Top reading Trev. The best part was the "wankers in all walks of life". Perfectly said! I can count the wankers in my town per square meter.

Nothing is worse then ascending to the surface and hearing a sreaming boat motor getting louder and louder.....

bugman
09-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Must have missed this thread earlier.

Trev - all divers are bad - simple as that

Sportfish_5
09-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Brett - are they a level above Sailing Catamaran skippers ::) :-X ;D