PDA

View Full Version : Do you read the NEWS section ?

Barrymundi
25-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Just wondering if people visiting this site are aware of the news section.

I have a post there regarding a public meeting on Thursday for The Fishing Party in Townsville and it has only been viewed 25 times.
http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1140424707

I can assume one of two things - few people care or few people visit the NEWS section

Cheers

Alan

fish-n-dive
25-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Mate, I do care but I must admit that I generally don't click on the news link...................sorry :'(

Cheers

-spiro-
25-02-2006, 03:41 PM
;D NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS ;D

banshee
25-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Mate during the debate that preceeded the "News Board" it was made quite clear to people that if they weren't interested in the sort of topics that were then flooding the general chat section they should stay away from it, I was against the idea at the time but have to admit that it is quite refreshing not having that sort of stuff cloging the general chat board.To answer the question,I very seldom visit there and it is even rarer that I will go into one of the threads.

bay_firey
25-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I also very rarely even visit the news section and even less often do i get into a thread there

And before you ask - Yes I do care

nonibbles
25-02-2006, 07:26 PM
I care. I read it.
I think the button needs to be higher on the list though and then most people would actually be making a choice to read it or not. As low on the list as it is, it gets lost as it's 'hidden in the crowd.'
I know that my habitual scan of the topics rarely goes below "Going Fishing" and I may be applying the I'm Ok, You're OK rule but I don't believe that the majority of the others differ that much.

Barrymundi
25-02-2006, 08:31 PM
I agree , being down the bottom area I think it gets looked over,

It is good to have the general section clear of this type of message.

Hate to bore people with stuff like politics.

Alan

Angla
25-02-2006, 08:49 PM
I have been there a few times and I admit some of the topics are boring to me.
I would be more likely to peruse it more often if it was at the top of the board Maybe between General and Reports fresh would be a better position. You might find that it makes no difference but I would not resign from the site if it were there.
It seems to be a habit to look at the topics in a certain order like General, Reports estuary, Reports offshore, Boating and then looking for more if I'm in need of more reading.

You could do a poll to track peoples browsing habits, or just move it and see what the reaction is.

Angla

essky
25-02-2006, 09:56 PM
I Agree. It maybe should be higher in the menu and is dissapointing in how few people are reading these articles.

While the topics covered may not be as interesting as what was caught over the weekend at the banks, Many of the topics covered such as closures WILL AFFECT US ALL. In the future there may be a lot fewer reports to read if we do treat these threats as serious.

Our lifestyle (particuarly here in South East Qld at the moment) is under attack. Many of the issues posted in the news section are in regards to this. We cannot bury our heads in the sand and pretend these issues do not affect us and that they will go away.

Many people do not wish to do anything about it, or feel that it is beyond their control. This is an excellent place to start discussion and create awareness of the changes that are coming our way.

If you do not wish to participate, at least stay abreast of what is happening.

Troy

Mad_Barry
25-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Of course the political crap gets a bit hard to swallow, but so is having our fishing areas closed off or restricted to appease the minority groups.

Whether we like it or not, the decision making process that effects us all is in the political arena.

aussiefool
26-02-2006, 05:11 AM
We have a news section????? :o :o ;D ;D

bungie
26-02-2006, 06:46 AM
No, I don't come here for Politics.

gogecko
26-02-2006, 08:12 AM
I dont read it. I do care about local political stuff like GC seaway, but Nth Qld is out of my area.

I always start with reports est, then saltwater, then general. If I get more time, I go to tackle and boating, then lastly for sale. Theres too many good sections, and too little time - and Im online a lot, so that says a lot for the quality of posts.

Moving it up the board wont make any difference to my priorities. Sorry mate, but you did ask, and you desrve to know why were not reading it- too little time.

Andrew

DR
26-02-2006, 11:31 AM
there you go Al_NFI, so far most do not appear to care..just make excuses..
might as well sell the fishing gear & take up bushwalking, it's going to be all we can do soon :'(

Barrymundi
26-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Not me,

I think they care, just have different priorities.

Here is a purely hypothetical situation

"Developer likes the spot where your best boat ramp is, will make a nice unit complex. He obtains the land and closes your access to the ramp."

or

"You have this really good little creek where you take the kids fishing. Scientist CLAIM (no proof) it is a critical habit area and ban all from fishing this creek"

or

“those secret Marlin grounds are closing due to excessive pressure on the fishing stocks in that area"

WHAT WILL YOU DO?

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Al

At the end of the day it's a matter of freedom of choice.

I used to once believe the old slogan - "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink" Not anymore though because some people will never want to be shown anything.

On here the old Aussie slogan seems to be more prevalent - "She'll be right Mate, have another beer".

Choices - they are mine and they are everyones. The choices we make today direct the way of the future.

Cheers

Derek

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 12:25 PM
there you go Al_NFI, so far most do not appear to care..just make excuses..
might as well sell the fishing gear & take up bushwalking, it's going to be all we can do soon :'(

I am not so sure about that either DR. The way the Greens and Conservationists are going that is going to be taken away from us as well.

Derek

DR
26-02-2006, 01:24 PM
this could all lead to the development of a totally new sport. one that involves tagging & releasing Greenies & conservationists etc. as there won't be much else to do ;) :-/
naturally it would be an illegal & underground sport, but i reckon there would be no shortage of players..... :o we would have to work out an ANSA type of points system & different techniques for luring them to capture..some may be smarter than fish.
the smelly, dreadlocked, dole bludger types with the faraway lookin their eyes won't be worth many points, as they could be lured to capture with the offer of a couple of cones out in the carpark of the local dole office while they are picking up their cheques.. & it would go up from there... 8-)

roz
26-02-2006, 01:43 PM
this could all lead to the development of a totally new sport. one that involves tagging & releasing Greenies & conservationists etc. as there won't be much else to do ;) #:-/
naturally it would be an illegal & underground sport, but i reckon there would be no shortage of players..... :o #we would have to work out an ANSA type of points system & different techniques for luring them to capture..some may be smarter than fish.
the smelly, dreadlocked, dole bludger types with the faraway lookin their eyes won't be worth many points, as they could be lured to capture with the offer of a couple of cones out in the carpark of the local dole office while they are picking up their cheques.. & it would go up from there... 8-)

Very good Dave, I wonder what the fighting factor might come in at.

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 01:47 PM
CALLS FOR FISHING BANS IN VICTORIA is a good reason why everyone should be reading it.

Derek

jim_farrell
26-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I am unsure of how many members ausfish has, but if we could sign petitions online somehow i guarantee that would work numbers wise. A problem i see is that there are plenty of us who care but find it hard to take up a closure fight in hinchenbrook when i live on the gold coast,and vice versa. ie can't attend the meetings.
I love the tag a greenie idea, however unsure about the release aspect. Can't we put them all in a big live bait tank until they become so rare we need to put a bag limit on them. MMMMMMM greenies on the verge of extinction. sounds like heaven. ;D ;D

snappa
26-02-2006, 05:55 PM
never .. :-[

Fafnir
26-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Part of the problem lies in the difference between anglers and greenies:

Anglers gets a day off, he spends his time fishing, no time for going to rallies.
Greenie doesn’t work, so he has time to go to rallies aimed at stopping the angler from fishing.

Angler has a job, to earn money for fuel, tackle, bait etc.
Greenie is on the dole, has time to go to rallies, march, protest, ram boats, run across lines etc (we’ll see this soon no doubt).

Wealthy anglers spend money travelling to new fishing destinations and buying new boats, gear etc.
Wealthy conservationists donate money to ‘the cause’, and use the money to create a political presence.

Thousands of anglers individually think ‘What can I do as one person?’.
Thousands of greenies say ‘We’ll show you what we can do when we all come together’.

Looks like a losing battle. But eventually, when fishing is banned, anglers will have time and money to fight back, so our childrens, childrens, children may one day enjoy a pleasant day out on the water.

Meanwhile, tackle manufactures who have grown wealthy from all the hard earned cash that the everyday angler like us spend on gear, can wait and then try to explain to shareholders that the profits dried up while they sat on their hands doing nothing, not even attempting to defend their market from the long-haired, tree huggin hippy extremists.

Derek_Bullock
26-02-2006, 06:26 PM
Thousands of anglers individually think ‘What can I do as one person?’.
Thousands of greenies say ‘We’ll show you what we can do when we all come together’.

Looks like a losing battle. But eventually, when fishing is banned, anglers will have time and money to fight back, so our childrens, childrens, children may one day enjoy a pleasant day out on the water.

This is what we should be doing for a start otherwise what you say will actually happen and it doesn't have to.

(1) #Join an organisation prepared to fight

(2) #Participate in and organise rallies in your local area

(3) #Write to local, state and federal politicians and object or better still go and see them and state your case

(4) #Write to newspapers and outline your objections.

Derek

uripper
26-02-2006, 07:43 PM
We have a news section????? :o :o ;D ;D

thats news to me ;D ;D ;D

seriously though, I didnt know & haveing gone & had a look, dont think I'll be rushing back - there's a smell of card carrying politics - mind you if we dont take an interest & be active in the politics of rec fishing then perhaps we shouldn't complain when new laws that adversely affect us are brought in
Mal-M

Feral
26-02-2006, 08:02 PM
What the forum needs is a "view new posts since last visit" option, so we dont miss the odd things that go in areas we might not normally visit!

major-defect
27-02-2006, 05:55 AM
I didn't know there was a news link.I'm going to have a look.

bungie
27-02-2006, 06:23 AM
You miss understand Derek and DR. I have a small business and and limited spare time. This place is part of my relaxation, not were I go for a call to arms.

Fisher_Boats
27-02-2006, 10:32 AM
I was thinking that some of the threads should be on general chat so everyone is more aware of what's happening :D

Some of the threads might be media crap and political...but if we don't band together as reco fishermen and at least try and do something about closures, limits ect. we are going to eventually get screwed over :-?

I really don't think KC (Fishing Party Boss) set out to be a politician either, but at the end of the day it is probably the best (or only) way for the voice of the recreational fisherman to be heard.

I know a lot of you guys probably don't go to the news section because Derek has a lot to do with it but I'm afraid a lot of the stuff he's posting up is really happening :o and ignoring it won't help change anything.

Guys support The Fishing Party, write letters and help fight the tree huggers.

My Thoughts

Col

gogecko
27-02-2006, 10:56 AM
Ive got nothing against derek or the other newshounds, in fact I appluad you guys for doing it. Ive just been around councils and developers too long to be a believer in one man change any more. It seems the golden rule is 'the man with the gold makes the rules'. Policticians take money for electoral funds, and then approve developers who get biased environmental studies done. We need to stop corruption first, not closure of fishing grounds.

Show me how to be EFFECTIVE in making change, and I'll join the cause.

Please dont shoot the messenger. You did ask, so we answered.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
27-02-2006, 11:02 AM
I think there is perhaps some truth and fact in what fish2eat posted. I'm not attacking Derek over the 'News' section, but I feel that when we go onto Ausfish as our means of relaxation and enjoyment after a day (or during the day!) at work (whether that be paid employment or domestic responsibilities), the last thing we really want to be faced with is more doom and gloom. There is enough of it in the papers and on TV every single day of the week without the need for us to search it out during our limited hours of r & r. As has been said earlier in this thread, it is about choices, and no-one needs or wants to criticised or belted because of their own personal choice. Choices should also be respected.

Cheers
Dave

roz
27-02-2006, 01:05 PM
I think its in everybodys interest to be up to speed with issues affecting our favourite pass time.

Because of the News section I am now going to join the fishing Party, and do what I can to back the fight against some of the crazy ideas being pushed by the conservationists/greens/peta.

cheers.

caloundra
27-02-2006, 03:06 PM
sorry
I don't read it
it's not like I don't care
but to much news all in one place [smiley=dizzy.gif]

happier just to have a quick read (of the ones in my area)as they slowly moved down the page in the general section.

Daniel

seabug
27-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Those that think that ignoring PETA is the way to go are in for a great disappointment.

PETA have taken on the world's top fashion houses and won

Then they took on the Australian Woolgrowers and won

Inaction now will mean a lot of time in 5-10 years time to read the news section as there may not be the chance to go fishing.

Regards
Seabug

blaze
27-02-2006, 06:45 PM
do i look in the news section
yes
sometimes first off
Even though most dosnt affect me dirrectly, I like to be informed
thanks derek
cheers
blaze
Am I involed polictically, not at present, have been in the past and may again be in the future

Derek_Bullock
27-02-2006, 06:59 PM
It disapoints me to think that recreational fishers on this board are ignoring what is happening with politics and the future of fishing in this country simply because of an erroneous and rediculous dislike for me personally.

Those that know me would know that I used to vehemently oppose groups like the Fishing Party and used to argue passionarely against what they were posting on Ausfish. It was after a few very robust debates with Kev Collins on and off the board that I decided to do some research about what was going on.

Let me tell you all that I found that there is suffifient hard evidence out there that the future of fishing in this country is very bleak.

After doing considerable research I contacted Steve and asked about setting up a section on Ausfish to try and bring to everyones attention what is going on out there. At the same time I posted a thread to guage peoples response. Eventually Steve agreed to setting up the new board with me as moderator. Thats what happened.

As for it being the Derek Bullock show; yes, well I guess it has been and that is only because people have declined to be a part of the debate. What disapoints me are the number of emails and messages I get yet people who still choose not to post on the board.

I will continue with the News Section though particularly in light of the huge push about to get underway by PETA. They are all out opposed to any form of fishing and I can guarantee you that they will succeed if we, the rec fishers of this country sit back and let them.

I am not a member of The Fishing Party and have no political alliance with any organisation.

Derek

DR
27-02-2006, 08:25 PM
It disapoints me to think that recreational fishers on this board are ignoring what is happening with politics and the future of fishing in this country simply because of an erroneous and rediculous dislike for me personally.

Those that know me would know that I used to vehemently oppose groups like the Fishing Party and used to argue passionarely against what they were posting on Ausfish. It was after a few very robust debates with Kev Collins on and off the board that I decided to do some research about what was going on.

Let me tell you all that I found that there is suffifient hard evidence out there that the future of fishing in this country is very bleak.

After doing considerable research I contacted Steve and asked about setting up a section on Ausfish to try and bring to everyones attention what is going on out there. At the same time I posted a thread to guage peoples response. Eventually Steve agreed to setting up the new board with me as moderator. Thats what happened.

As for it being the Derek Bullock show; yes, well I guess it has been and that is only because people have declined to be a part of the debate. What disapoints me are the number of emails and messages I get yet people who still choose not to post on the board.

I will continue with the News Section though particularly in light of the huge push about to get underway by PETA. They are all out opposed to any form of fishing and I can guarantee you that they will succeed if we, the rec fishers of this country sit back and let them.

I am not a member of The Fishing Party and have no political alliance with any organisation.

Derek

gidday Derek, i don't know you,so i don't know if i like you or not ;D ;D
but i agree with the news section & read all. keep up the good work. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

just so long as we don't ever have to play cards ;)

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
27-02-2006, 08:29 PM
I doubt very much that the Wool producers etc sat back on their backsides, but without success. You can take up arms, you can scream blue murder, you can write letters to the pollies until you wear your fingers off. But at the end of the day, the 'world order' will do as they want. I'm not saying that it is useless objecting, but it is no use getting strung out over it. In my honest opinion, rec fishing will never be banned in Australia. Sure there has been closures and no doubt there will be more, and there might be further restrictions etc etc, but I believe we will always be able to go and throw a line in from the largest island in the world.
You can howl me down, you can call be niaive, but that is my honest belief.

Cheers
Dave

Gazza
27-02-2006, 08:54 PM
News
Discussion on conservation, press releases, politics, current and future Legislation and any other matters that have the potential to affect recreational fishing.
Re-name it to "Fishing News" ,and place a link for it ,maybe to takeover from the 'obsolete' fishing reports link in MAIN CHAT AREA i.e. where 'News' doesn't showup ,even if you were looking for it ,as it only shows in "Ausfishing chat" page ,or dropdown menu.

this would help people find it ,on those days they DON'T go fishing....and help them be aware what happened ,when they CAN'T go fishing....

jmo 8-) , place it directly under General Chat ,so you can easily click-on , or scroll passed :exclamation

David_P
27-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I Agree. It maybe should be higher in the menu and is dissapointing in how few people are reading these articles.

While the topics covered may not be as interesting as what was caught over the weekend at the banks, Many of the topics covered such as closures WILL AFFECT US ALL. In the future there may be a lot fewer reports to read if we do treat these threats as serious.

Our lifestyle (particuarly here in South East Qld at the moment) is under attack. Many of the issues posted in the news section are in regards to this. We cannot bury our heads in the sand and pretend these issues do not affect us and that they will go away.

Many people do not wish to do anything about it, or feel that it is beyond their control. This is an excellent place to start discussion and create awareness of the changes that are coming our way.

If you do not wish to participate, at least stay abreast of what is happening.

Troy

Well said Troy.

I understand that many of us are extremely busy with work, family and life in general and reading lengthy threads on a topic that doesn't provide a benefit or feeling of enjoyment in the short term is just something that many don't make time for.

Having the news section does allow those who visit Ausfish to bypass most "news" threads, and therefore no one that visits Ausfish should feel that their leisure time is encroached upon by these news threads. Those that do, need only to stop entering the news section.

I am yet to reply to any of the news threads as I read them as news, just as I would watch the evening TV news or read the newspaper. It is news, and it is up to us to interprete as we see fit. In saying that, I will take this opportunity to encourage Derek to continue posting news threads and anyone else who has something they feel is newsworthy and may interest others on this site.

Those that are criticising Derek should consider posting their own news or reply to Derek's threads to challenge what has been posted. Without this any criticism is hollow.

Regards,
Dave.

fishingnottake
28-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Hi Al

I used to once believe the old slogan - "You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink" #Not anymore though because some people will never want to be shown anything.

Derek
That is the meaning of the quote derek,

fish2eat
28-02-2006, 09:47 AM
I had my post removed, so let me explain what I think the real problem with the news section is:-

1. The issues that are raised have invariably been decided by back room deals, months or even years before we get to hear about them. Getting worked up will not reverse these decisions, our only means of a voice is when the media think they can beat something up and we win a battle as a byproduct...eg the dolphin feeding issue at Tin Can Bay

2. The majority of us come here to learn about fishing, share experiences, chat with online mates, and generally for enjoyment. The way many news articles are presented only stirs up stress, which we get enough of at work or on the 6pm news. Therefore I believe the majority think, can't change it so why upset myself about it?

I do NOT have any issues with Derek Bullock, but my mother always said, you catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a barrel full of vinegar.

If you want people on your side to fight an issue, put up a viable, workable solution, then ask for specific support. Go approach the media first, before anything else, and if they are not interested in running the story.....relax and forget it, or come up with some other viable option. If you want to be a politician, you have to have a very thick skin because almost nobody will like you.

Like most people here, I usually avoid reading "the Sky is Falling" type stories....

roz
28-02-2006, 01:41 PM
I have read some of the criticisms of Derek, and find it quite amazing as it (the news section) is there for everyones benefit.

As far as I know Derek gets nothing out of this, he puts in his time and energy into keeping us up to date on issues that may affect our sport.

I think a few people should pull their heads in. Nothing wrong with dissagreeing with a point of view, but to attack on a personal level is simply unproductive and childish.

Roz.

fish2eat
28-02-2006, 02:53 PM
As far as I'm concerned, its not about Derek. While others may have personal criticisms of him, I don't.

I just feel there is a better way of uniting people for a cause, and if you want a bunch of laid back recreational fishermen to read and act, then keep it constructive.

The news section, and the type of posts it mainly has, won't get people to action.......in fact, quite the opposite.

Who here has read such an article and written to a polly??? well me for a start. After writing to about 10 State Gov ministers about the GSS marine park and getting "the minister has received your views" replies......it is and was, a done deal. Lesson, [smiley=wut.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

"News" means reporting what has happenned. "Politics" means organised change of opinion,policy and regulation. #This is called a "News" forum.

wayne_cook
28-02-2006, 04:07 PM
I think we are the minority group and dissagreeing with each other many more fishing areas will be LOST.
We need to act as one with a common goal!To keep our fishing rites and areas.
I applaud Derek and other news reporters for there efforts.

TWO things my dad said. WE will all never have to ware seat belts. You will NEVER have to pay for a salt water fishing lic. (NSW)

Things do change .Don't be to complaiceant.
PS .I agree with seat belts.

Lucky_Phill
28-02-2006, 05:23 PM
First of all, Yes, I read the news section.

Secondly, I have known Derek for some time and have found him to be a most helpful and generous person with his time and information and applaud his contribution to Ausfish.

I strongly object to the theory of " one man can't do anything ".

Without going into details, myself and a couple of other Ausfishers made a significant impact on the decision making process regarding a popular fishing species, some time ago, which resulted legislation being passed to the benefit of that species and also rec fishos. This was at a State level and further, the flow on from that meeting also produced another major victory for the Rec fisho.

Don't believe the BS that sending emails , letters, phone calls etc, will not make a difference, it does. OK, so the section is political, is it meant to be. Jeez, the political system is the one that decides when, where and how we fish, if at all.

There are many people working behind the scenes to insure those who stand by the road and wave, get to have a fish. Just as many ( and well funded ) tree-huggers are out there, doing their darndest to stop you.

A simple answer to the topic heading would have sufficed, but certainly the information and opinions posted here has been interesting, to say the least.

I am subscribing to the theory, that if one can say nothing positive or constructive.................................say nothing.

My views are my views and not that of Ausfish.

Cheers Phill

kc
01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
I have stayed out of this one because I was really interested in the varied opinions and did not want to stick my overblown head in. I fish for enjoyment too and ended up in this "role" by accident. I hate ^%#$& politics but now have a tiger by the tail.

I really have only one comment to make regarding change.

When government, any government, comes to the decision that the "fishing vote" (preferences) is more important to them (& staying in power) than the green vote (preferences)...everything will change. The only thing that will change government direction is an organised fishing vote and and organised preference arrangement.

KC

choppa
02-03-2006, 12:17 AM
just to throw in my 20 cents worth,,,,the recreational fishing industry in australia is worth roughly how much per year in not just monetary terms,, but in employment,, tourism,,export,,import and the list goes on,,,,i do agree with the majority that have responded to the original question and yes we all care,, we wouldn't be placing our opinions if we didnt,, but at the end of the day money talks,,, and it shows by trend that if someone wants something done and if someone else opposes it,, the bigger bank balance wins,,,, not common sense,,, not the peoples opinion,,money,,,,as an example,, to answer the hypothetical question above,,, if someone closed my favourite ramps access to build a block of units,,, i would hypothetically buy a ground floor one and build a pontoon,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,choppa

Derek_Bullock
07-03-2006, 08:35 PM
I've been offline for a week.

Thanks Phil for the vote of confidence.

Derek

redspeckle
09-03-2006, 05:49 AM
I do read the news section but i do not make too many comments here because this site is heavly watch by Gov departments and greens associations and comments we make can be used against us as [smiley=rifle.gif]
But I have done something about it jion the Fishing party and now part of the Brisbane South Branch as Treasury I be doing all my fighting to stop permanent fishing closure's zones of moreton bay through the fishing party as the old say go united we stand divided we fall
[smiley=dankk2.gif] to Derek for keeping us infromed what happeing to our fishing future
Mitch

BAIT_MAN
09-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Don't believe the BS that sending emails , letters, phone calls etc, will not make a difference, it does. #OK, so the section is political, is it meant to be. #Jeez, the political system is the one that decides when, where and how we fish, if at all.

There are many people working behind the scenes to insure those who stand by the road and wave, get to have a fish. #Just as many ( and well funded ) tree-huggers are out there, doing their darndest to stop you.

Cheers # Phill
Well said phill

The news section is my first port of call as i need to know what is going on and as for Derek he is a wealth of information and it is great that we have got people like that to keep us up to date with what is going on.
I am one of those people that is working behind the scenes to try and save our god given right to go and catch a fish. I spend hours telling people at fishing clubs what we are about to face here in the great south east. Along with other dedicated people #we have vowed to not let happen to moreton bay what has happened in the GBR or the GSS.

As phill has stated "Don't believe the BS that sending emails , letters, phone calls etc, will not make a difference, it does." I wrote to 5 members of the queensland goverment voicing my concerns about moreton bay and what the AMCS plans to do. Because of that letter i had a phone call from one of those ministers asking my to meet with him in his office to disscuss my concerns. Just goes to show that letters do work. By the way that Minister was Mr Mike Horan, Shadow Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries.

We need to demonstrate to Governments at all levels that the recreational fishing and boating vote is actually more powerful than the green vote in terms of preference arrangements. Winning 4% or 5% of the vote in any area can dramatically affect the outcome of elections and ultimately Government and this is a responsibility we need to take very seriously.

Governments at all levels have paid a high price for the ongoing preference deals with the greens. As recreational fishers we also pay a high price and now, more than ever, it is time to demonstrate to Governments that some sense needs to be brought back into the marine parks debate and no longer can one side hold all the cards.

I along with a few other people on ausfish have seen the light but is very sad to see that some people #still have their heads deep in the sand and the recreational fishing vote either organises itself in an effective voice, or it is swallowed up by those who would see recreational fishing banished to the realms of a socially unacceptable pastime practiced by an eccentric few.

banshee
09-03-2006, 10:12 PM
The term "floging a dead horse" springs to mind every time I see this bumped to the top,give it a rest,the political types wanted a seperate area and they got it,people will either go there or they won't,learn to live with and respect the individuals choice,come to think of it this thread should probably be moved there.

dazza
09-03-2006, 10:43 PM
my 2 bob's worth,
firstly
thanks derek, keep the info comming.

well done shane on getting a meeting with mike horan. the nationals are well aware that the upcoming state election is going to be pretty close, beattie is trying his best to lose it, but might hang on, if groups like the fishing party can sway an electorate by a couple of % it might be the difference between a party gaining power or spending time in opposition.

just ask the nationals in the senate, it was fishing party preferences that got the nationals in and kept the greens out.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

maybe ausfish can set up some kind of fishing game, cause the way things are going that is the closest we are going to get to a fishing trip.

just ask the germans, many forms of fishing are outlawed,

have a look at the peta site and see the crap they are pushing down our kids throats.

like it or not, if we want to continue enjoying our pastime we must become aware of the issues that affect us.

pretty popular post 4 pages and over 1000 views
time to get off my soap box
cheers
dazza

banshee
09-03-2006, 10:59 PM
I actualy find it humorous and somewhat ironic that all this attention you seek is coming from the same section that you political types insisted on being divorced from!

BAIT_MAN
10-03-2006, 04:47 AM
I actualy find it humorous and somewhat ironic to see that some people still have their heads deep in the sand

dazza
10-03-2006, 07:56 AM
sorry have to disagree shane,
i find it very worrying, appathy and head in the sand attitudes.

why aren't the epa doing more to stop run off from industrial sites, doing something about the millions of litres of crap getting pumped into moreton bay each day, instead they are going to close 30-50% of the bay to fishing- we are an easy target, all we are trying to do is make us a harder united target.

sad story :( >:( :(
remember the industrial fire at narangba awhile back, the epa assured the community any chemicals would be contained, dioxin levels hundreds of times over acceptable limits have now been found in saltwater creek, which leads directly to the bay, if you fish around redcliffe, deception bay and north to bribie keep an eye out for contaminated 3 eyed fish, they are comming to a fishing spot near you
[smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif] [smiley=sick2.gif]

cheers
dazza