PDA

View Full Version : Strangest Catch

fish-n-dive
09-03-2006, 04:42 PM
Seeing the catfish and the ball got me wondering what the strangest thing you have ever caught was.

Mine are;

Animate: A big ugly and very angry rat night fishing :o

Inanimate: A phone book :-?

Cheers 8-)

wayne_cook
09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
animate: 12 jew in a prawn net 8-)

inamiate:$100 note in a prawm net :D ;D 8-)

land-lubber
09-03-2006, 05:28 PM
animate: a pink spiky/hairy worm thing

Inamiate: Shakespeare uglystic with shimano sahara reel,

actually they were caught in the same spot 3yrs appart :o

Elysium
09-03-2006, 06:24 PM
animate : Caught two bats while night fishing (casting surface lures) for Bass...one took it off the water, the other grabbed it in midflight.

inanimate : a box (roughly 5 times bigger than a shoe box) of sausage rolls...and it made a great berley trail too.

BrandonH
09-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Animate Line :- 2 foot water dragon on a popper!! well dad caught it I had to hang on while he got the hooks out :o a Honey eater came down and had a peck the same afternoon!!

Animate Cast Net:- 9 Legal Bream and 5 undersized in one cast:)

Inanimate Line:- Old Rusty Sounder

Inanimate cast Net:- Tobacco tin with 5 Crown coins wrapped in newspaper inside ;D

Also got 8 foot of a flood marker in the net one night:( #Level marks on it were 7 foot to 15 foot!!
It ripped up the net a fair but but i ended up draging it onto the little jetty i was fishing off and leaving it under the seat there.

yibbiy
09-03-2006, 07:28 PM
a sink plug. . . . . . . . .why has the tide going so far out? ? ? ? ? ? ;D

land_based
09-03-2006, 09:57 PM
animate- about 50 mutton bids in a day trying to get a patternoster rig to the bottom fast enough to out swim them.
inanimate - a rusty old carby in my net off deep water bend pontoon

roz
09-03-2006, 10:11 PM
A few interesting and different things..... 2 turtles, 1 fresh water mussel from the Namoi and the odd mutton bird.

rod with alvey attached, from the Tweed.

essky
09-03-2006, 11:20 PM
My animate one is not too exciting, a small toad fish on a hard bodied lure close to twice its size.

Inanimate: Took my mother fishing a few years ago in the maroochy river. The only thing we caught all night was an old, (presumed used), condom that became attached to my hook.

Did not want to touch it, so used my shoe to remove it. Decided to call it a night after that.

Tony_N
10-03-2006, 02:58 AM
animate: #two mutton birds in the one sitting - on slugs - one in the air and one in the water. Thousands of birds, no fish (No baitfish on sounder either [smiley=speechless.gif])

inanimate: sand anchor and chain - v.good condition. :)

lock
10-03-2006, 04:48 AM
water rat in yabbie pot :-/ and crab pots that were tied together with no floats ::)

Grand_Marlin
10-03-2006, 06:15 AM
It is amazing to read these stories....

Animate

1) A Platypus while Trout fishing with garden worms

2) Whilst casting Halco lures for Salmon in thick fog ... lassoed an Albatross around the neck! Didnt have a clue what it was until I got it to the boat ... dont worry, the Albatross wasnt very happy about it either ;D

Inanimate

1) A Dolphin Torch that still worked ... it was covered in these plant / animal things that looked like the heads off a venus fly trap on an asparagus stick. They kept opening and closing their mouths ... it looked like something from a horror movie.

2) Landed a floating crab pot on 10kg line at Deep water Bend whilst fishing off the bank.

maztez
10-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Some varieties here ;D ;D
animate ...a young croc in a prawn trap at the Douglas /Daly River NT
a very large python in the same trap in the Hardys Creek /Mary River NT the snake had gone in to get the bait drowned, then the prawns dined on him,
cheers Terry

maztez
10-03-2006, 08:08 AM
Forgot one
caught a baby sawfish on a red/black nilsmaster barra lure at the sandbar near the crossing at the Daly River NT have also caught a perenti lizard on a lure at Hardys Creek NT ::) :o ;D
cheers Terry

fisher28
10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
the strangest living thing ive caughht was a pineapple fish.
the weirdest non living would have to be the front end of a car in the middle of the river out from fish is.

fish2eat
10-03-2006, 09:37 AM
A bus......while trying to cast as close as possible to the bridge pylons with brand new lure, the wind caught the lure and took it over the railing on the bridge just as the bus was passing. Hooked the bus and needless to say was spooled (apologies to Noosa Bus Lines)

A brand new rod and Penn Reel, probably only been in the water a few hours

adam_ngakiri
10-03-2006, 09:50 AM
A couple of posts mention catching a rat? what the hell did you do with it? cut it off or hold it down while removing the hook? I wouldnt want to go near it those things are crazy...

Archer
10-03-2006, 10:04 AM
Caught a few occys on SP's thought that was fairly strange first time round..Though after getting a few i guess not. ;D
All the usual Anchors traps plastic bags etc.
Ohh i lost a fishing rod once out at a "secret" location. Caught it back 5 years later. :o
Needless to say it was well and truly past its use by date. ;D

MulletMan
10-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Animate 1: A chic in a yellow polka dot bikini swimming behind the wrecks at Tangalooma # #[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Animate 2: A Haines Hunter 680 off Square Patch. Lobbed a dirty great snapper sinker and rig right into his transom well.
# #Never was much chop casting a Penn reel!

Inanimate 1: # An old Olympus typewriter in about 30 metres of water off Straddy# [smiley=undecided.gif]

Inanimate 2: # Six wire crab pots all strung together on the skeg of a rescue boat off McLeay Island

Hutcho
10-03-2006, 11:43 AM
I landed a .22 bolt action rifle from under the Pine Rivers Bridge once....caught it on the eyelet under the barrell where the sling is to go over your shoulder. Most bizzare.

Cheers,
Hutcho

raefpud
10-03-2006, 12:20 PM
whilst at university, we caught a Yellowbelly in the brisbane river on a mcdonalds french fry

88fishframe
10-03-2006, 12:32 PM
animate : platypus on a grasshopper under a float fishing for trout in Liffey River Tas. 1kg line, it wasn't a particularly nice sight after playing what I thought was a monster trout for quite some time. Just happy he swam away in good nic.

inanimate : daiwa millionaire baitcaster reel [model 5H] - caught 1985, sold it on ebay in 2003 for $210.00 :D

wayne_cook
10-03-2006, 02:23 PM
animate: 12 jew in a prawn net 8-)

inamiate:$100 note in a prawm net :D ;D 8-)
sorry thats not 12 jew it's a 12kg jew

fish-n-dive
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
A couple of posts mention catching a rat? what the hell did you do with it? cut it off or hold it down while removing the hook? I wouldnt want to go near it those things are crazy...

Mate, as soon as I could see what it was, I cut it off.................it wasn't going to run up my leg!!! [smiley=helpa.gif]

Cheers 8-)

ancienttinnie
10-03-2006, 08:13 PM
HAve caught most of the usual odds and ends, rods and reels anchors tacklebacks etc weirdest would be a very large (and very cranky) goanna in a crab pot down on knagaroo island and an old style coca cole bottle on a 2/0 hook that got down the neck of the bottle.

brett_rokesky
10-03-2006, 09:47 PM
We caught a crow in a crab pot once... :-[

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
12-03-2006, 02:28 PM
Fishing for salmon at Karumba, hooked onto something that was twisting and turning and diving and surfacing. Ended up getting it in and found myself looking at a car number plate! :-?

Cheers
Dave

laz
12-03-2006, 05:24 PM
inanaimate: Hooked a car with a spinner whilst fishing off a bridge driver came back looking for the owner. Spinner was wraped around his airiel Hooked and landed a B block from a railway turnout have all so caught numerous lures over the years

animate : fresh water mussels on a lure

GCBrett
12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Had a call at work from a woman going for her early morning walk at Coombabah - koala in a crab pot - fortunately the pot was out of the water in the yard of a river front home. Took me a while to get my head around that one...thought she was saying that someone was using it for bait!

Myself - 75cm flattie and dozen big mullet in a cast net at Sovereign Island when they were dewatering the newest section.