PDA

View Full Version : Seafood Raffle (female crab)

SWFISHER
10-03-2006, 12:02 PM
A mate of mine is a member of a well known surf club on the sunny coast north of alex. and he was telling me that one of the seafood trays had a jenni on it :-[ :-[ how's this?

Lone_Wolf
10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
Equal opportunity employer I guess. ;D

Well, if it's all above board, that means the seafood was purchased in NSW or NT, so the raffle might not be as fresh as it looks!

I know it's illegal to keep jennies in Qld however does the law prohibit a jenny being purchased somewhere else and being raffled here? Excellent question.

Archer
10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Far as im aware jennies have to go back in NSW aswell. :-?

Anne-T-Dote
10-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Archer - in NSW you can keep jennies as long as they are not carrying eggs.

In Qld, the take and possession limits mean exactly that - it's illegal to "take" a regulated animal, and it's also illegal to "possess" a regulated animal - hence, it's illegal to catch a jenny #in NSW and bring it back across the border - dead or alive, or an 8.5cm buck for that matter (measured up/down instead of across) which would probably be only about 13 or 13.5cm across - ie. undersized for up here.

It's also illegal to transport shelled crab meat in Qld unless for imediate consumption.

So I'd say who ever put that tray together has a lot to answer for - I wouldn't even want to be the one to win it - what happens if you get busted - "Officer - I swear - I won it in a raffle" - "OOooohhhh SURRRRReeee you did sir - Come with me please....".

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Archer
10-03-2006, 07:35 PM
Cheers for that Maccamania, Geez think about how many jennies weve throw back over the years. ;D
Ahwell im not that big a fan of Crab meat in anycase. ;D

brett_rokesky
10-03-2006, 08:51 PM
The apprentice must of been on that day. ;D

choppa
10-03-2006, 09:59 PM
one of the local clubs here on bribie used to hold a seafood raffle once a week to gain extreme $ for its fishing club,,, and yes it to became victim to jenny sandcrabs,,i dont know the exact outcome other than someone made a very loud protest and they stopped the raffle,,,,,meat trays and groceries now take its place

Anne-T-Dote
11-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Oops - sorry, I mistakingly made the assumption you meant a female muddy, but I see you were actually talking about female sandies - my bad.

Anyway - it's axactly the same for a sandie except for the legal size - ie. it's illegal to catch (in NSW) a female sandcrab or a male that would be undersized in Qld but not in NSW (6cm up & down I think) and bring it back across the border.

Anne-T-Dote
11-03-2006, 09:22 AM
PS: This was a good outcome. Well done to the protestors. :) :)

one of the local clubs here on bribie used to hold a seafood raffle once a week to gain extreme $ for its fishing club,,, and yes it to became victim to jenny sandcrabs,,i dont know the exact outcome other than someone made a very loud protest and they stopped the raffle,,,,,meat trays and groceries now take its place

Kayak1
11-03-2006, 10:53 AM
I think it beholds us as responsible fishos to speak up when we spot an instance of regulations being ignored or broken due to ignorance. Just a quiet mention to the offending party usually brings the desired outcome.
Spotted some undersized grunter (javelin fish) in a local supermarket deli (large national chain). I spoke to the deli manager who immediately withdrew the fish and promised to chase it up with the supplier. Quite common occurrence to spot an undersized fish being slipped into a keeper bucket/bag at the local fishing spot. Quiet word usually results in "Oh, I didn't realise. I'll put it back). But I have had the "Its big enough for the pan" reply.
Oh well I've done my best. One of my pet hates is the totally unwarranted, brutish savagery of unwanted "vermin type" (happy moments, catfish, toadfish, eels and the like) or at times tiddlers that happen to get impaled on a hook. They're all part of the ecosystem and deserve to be put back. Different matter with declared noxious fish...but still, kill these humanely before disposal.

Cheers,
Steve.

onerabbit
11-03-2006, 08:37 PM
Cheers for that Maccamania, Geez think about how many jennies weve throw back over the years. ;D
Ahwell im not that big a fan of Crab meat in anycase. ;D

Archer,
I've eaten jennies, we're allowed to down here, but I usually let them go as they don't taste half as good as the bucks.

Muzz

Mr__Bean
13-03-2006, 07:38 AM
G'Day guys,

I work at one of the aircraft maintenance hangars that is around the back of Brisbane Airport.

On the road to the hangars there is a saltwater creek that goes under a bridge and into the airport grounds. It is a regular sight to see people angling a line from the bridges and also people setting their pots there for crabs.

I was surprised the other day though to see a guy there with his small trailer and a home made sign with "Crabs For Sale" hanging off the back of it.

Now these guys certainly didn't look like commercial fishermen (certainly had plenty of crabs).

I would have thought this illegal, but having only recently moved to Queensland I am not sure.

- Darren

Gazza
13-03-2006, 09:35 AM
In Qld, the take and possession limits mean exactly that - it's illegal to "take" a regulated animal, and it's also illegal to "possess" a regulated animal - hence, it's illegal to catch a jenny in NSW and bring it back across the border - dead or alive, or an 8.5cm buck for that matter (measured up/down instead of across) which would probably be only about 13 or 13.5cm across - ie. undersized for up here.

JMO..... i don't know if many of you have read the
"death by a 1000 cuts" thread , but to me, this "restriction above" is another CUT & has no basis in law, when comparing a QLDer crabbing in NSW and bringing home a "legal" Jenny ,to somebody who (presently) keeps a Jenny in QLD ,and breaking the (present) QLD law.

I trust Webby & co. give "us" the option ,of legally keeping a couple of QLD Jennies oneday!!

p.s. the raffle was WRONG ,if local produce.