PDA

View Full Version : Grilled Royal Basa

gone_phishin
11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
G'day all,

Just been to that restaurant chain that's had vermin problems in their salad bar for lunch and lo and behold, they've got "Grilled Royal Basa" on the menu :P Where the heck does the Royal come into it :-/ Musn't be the common old Mekong Catfish type, gotta be royalty......

Geoff

freddyfish
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
I saw it at a seafood shop at Chermside and they also called it Royal Basa and it was $17.99 a kg.

Pretty expensive for catfish

Brad

Lone_Wolf
11-03-2006, 02:29 PM
I think they conveniently combine the name of the Giant Mekong Catfish and the Royal Siamese Carp, which both abound in the same region. Either that or they are killing off Royalty....

http://www.flyfishingtuition.co.uk/thailand.php

szopen
11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Maybe cos they were "king size"???

theoldlegend
11-03-2006, 03:24 PM
Wow!! I can't believe this. >:(

Maybe they're allowed to change the name just because they've been caught out with the old name. :o

I was in Woolies at Birkdale the other Friday and questioned the lady about the 'Freshwater fillets" and asked what sort were they. She simply said they were "freshwater fillets". About $8.99 a kilo.

What a load of pus.

TOL

choppa
11-03-2006, 05:25 PM
TOL,,,, the same here on bribie,,,,no kidding

i also asked why their lobsters fluctuate by $6.00 MORE on friday arvo and was given the answer because there fresh from their supplier and old stock is discarded on fridays,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(think about it),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Lone_Wolf
11-03-2006, 07:00 PM
still nice in a lobster mornay chops!

Grand_Marlin
11-03-2006, 08:12 PM
same as I bought some battered fish from the fish & chip shop... the lady recommended the dory fillets.... sounded ok to me.

I took one bite and could have shoved it up her ar$e.... it was the worst fish I had ever tasted.

When I chastised her over it... she told me that they were freshwater dory fillets.

After telling her that there was no such fish that lived on earth... she showed me the box from the supplier. It had freshwater dory stamped on the box.

She thanked me for bringing it to her attention.... as she also said, "what happens if someone had an allergic reaction to it?"
Who would get sued?

It is a very sore point of mine.... and I think it is absolute bs that they can rename crap fish, just so they can sell them.

Another point:

I had a very good friend of mine that got Cigutera poisoning from eating "Battered Barra" fillets from a fish / chip shop in Noosa.

Since when do Barra feed on the coral reef?????? :o :o :o

They dont.... obviously some crap fish that has off white flesh that can pass for barra has been used.... probably red bass that is renowned for cigutera.

The pros would think "slip a few in amongst the catch... no one will ever know"

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

After two feeds in the one week, her and her 5 year old daughter ended up in hospital, very, very sick

Nice.... real Nice.

Good to know some pros will put money before the lives of the public they supply the fish to.

I think it should be mandatory that the skin be left on, until point of sale, so as we at least have half a chance of knowing what we are eating.

If it is good enough for us fishos to do it so as the fish can be identified, and so as we can be booked for illegal / undersize catches.... then surely the same courtesy should be extended back to us as consumers. ie skin on so we can id.

Cheers

Pete

dynamicspot
11-03-2006, 08:43 PM
had some deep sea dory from caloundra did not know it was deep sea meakong catfish

how much do i know

Greg

gone_phishin
11-03-2006, 09:15 PM
I was sitting here thinkin, " I might just see how this post goes, and if it keeps up like this I may just send a link to the self same restaurant chain via email" but then I thought "what a perfect way to get the thread pulled 'cause of a bit of sh!t stirring". :-[

Hmmm, bugger it, I never mentioned their name, eh? Do you reckon they'd take any notice?? ::)

Geoff

Angla
11-03-2006, 10:34 PM
I cant wait to go out to the banks and get me some of those royal bassa I been hearin so much about. Do they just float by or what?

Fresh from your own fishing is the way to go!

Can you tell the media about it, You know, like the new format paper we have

Angla

rando
12-03-2006, 12:32 AM
It called Royal because, once you eat it you end up on the throne ;D ;D

jim_farrell
12-03-2006, 07:02 AM
They would have a better chance getting me through the door if they offered royal rat bait. ;D

freddyfish
12-03-2006, 10:43 AM
It called Royal because, once you eat it you end up on the throne ;D ;D

Still laughing at that one

Brad

Panda
12-03-2006, 08:59 PM
If you live in the bush you can raise your own Royal Bassa AKA Pacific Dory at home. Heres how. Just stock the dam down the back with imported catfish, then bypass the septic tank and run all the effluent down the back for the catties to feed on. Commercial quantities of antibiotics to keep the fish healthy can run out to be a bit of an expense though. Then the theres the cost of bleach to make the fillets a nice white colour.

Cut out the middle man and save a packet. ;D

Girella
13-03-2006, 12:23 PM
dynamicspot

You've got some chance of being OK with deep sea dory because that is it's true habitat.

But freshwater dory will never happen.