PDA

View Full Version : We miss Brownie

charleville
10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
It was a georgeous day on the Bay today - small winds down to 5 knots, flat seas and nice early Autumn temperatures. # 8-) 8-) 8-)

I won't be going out on the weekend though because the weather forecast is for 15 - 20knot winds which may not be necessarily dangerous but it can certainly be uncomfortable in a tinnie. #Many people would not go out in the Bay in 20 knots, including me. #:-/ #And lets not forget the BOM disclaimer at the start of every boating forecast that says that the winds can gust up to 40% higher than the average forecast. #:-/

Yet, the bloke who does the surf and beach report before Nugget's fishing segment on Channel 10 tonight was saying that it would be a great weekend to be out in a boat. #:o :o :o

Gee - I wonder what Brownie's spin would have been on those winds. #When he did the boating report on Channel 7, he used to give an interpretation on the conditions for boaties and did so in a way that catered for the unseasoned boatie. #I certainly took great notice of what he used to say because he had such a great insight as to what the prevailing conditions would mean for Moreton Bay, which has it own weather/safety dynamics, of course.

We need another Brownie doing a boating interpretation of the weather on the Friday night news. #Brownie - come back! #:'( :'( :'(

Lone_Wolf
10-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Here, here Charlie,

I grew up watching Brownies Coastwatch. Every aspect of his show was a benefit to the fisherman. I used to love watching the local features of local fishos who knew their salt.

IMHO, It was a sad day when other, more commercial shows took over his time slot.

Streetkid
10-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Bloody oath, he use to tell it strait instead of talking it up.

charleville
10-03-2006, 07:22 PM
He went off TV because of ill health. It would be great to get him back though.

brett_rokesky
10-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Does he still have the reports in Saturdays paper down there?

MulletMan
10-03-2006, 11:49 PM
Brownie did more to encourage boating safety than any other person or show I know!
He was a legend to the Boaties and provided a top service.
As already said, I believe his health is far from good so I also hope he gets over it and takes it easy.
Old Brownie had the biggest ego that I have ever seen on a guy but that is nothing compared to the good he did!

al-straddie
11-03-2006, 12:05 AM
Brownie's exit is a wake up call to all.

Learn, research, understand your local weather. At the end of the day you only have yourself to blame if bad weather causes you problems!!!! :-[

Feral
11-03-2006, 06:28 AM
must be toxic poisoning from all those tickets he had on himself!

but he did do a good job once you got over his love affair with himself.

Grand_Marlin
11-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Doesn't Brownie have Cancer?

charleville
11-03-2006, 11:35 PM

When he explained his ceasing the Channel Seven boating weather forecast on 4KQ at the time, he did explain his illness but he did not use the "C" word. #To be truthful, I thought that he was looking and sounding less than well for several months before he made the change. # :-/

I do hope that he is travelling well though.

#From ThePinkPanther
Old Brownie had the biggest ego that I have ever seen on a guy but that is nothing compared to the good he did! #

When you look at his career, he does appear to have lived on his wits quite a lot. #That takes some resilience. #I think that all those guys (and gals) who create something from nothing have pretty healthy egos, or are arrogant enough to be resilient to people telling them that "it can't be done."

From my perspective, he sold himself well on screen and on radio.

Nic
11-03-2006, 11:41 PM

I spoke to him a couple of months ago and he explained what affliction he had... can't remember the name of it but it definitely wasn't cancer! I'm sure he'll bounce back, he's tough.

Grand_Marlin
12-03-2006, 07:03 AM
I am sorry to bring that up... not trying to start claims here.

I have all the respect in the world for Brownie.

Was something I had in the back of my mind... but didnt know for sure.

Cheers

Pete

fishingnottake
12-03-2006, 09:04 AM
if you didnt ask you'd never know.

-spiro-
12-03-2006, 08:05 PM
wasn't it shingles? 8-)

onerabbit
12-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Go & have a look yourself, dont trust ANYONE elses pinion.

No offence , didnt know the man.

Muzz

Jeremy
13-03-2006, 01:16 PM
anyone would have ill health if they were shafted the way he was by the 7 executives. No other fishing and boating show comes close to what Brownie used to do.

Jeremy

charleville
13-03-2006, 01:41 PM
No other fishing and boating show comes close to what Brownie used to do.
Jeremy

Yep - you can say that again!

snappa
13-03-2006, 02:18 PM
:-X

Alex9797
13-03-2006, 05:12 PM
"shut up everyone Brownies on" was the catchcry in our house for many years. Heaven help anyone who talked over Ken.

Started watching Creek to Coast again but am starting to lose interest due to the limited amount of products that could be shown due to sponsership commitments.

Does anyone remember Chris Conroys boat show from the 70's. Used to come on early saturday morning before the speedway and the wresterling on channel 9. Those were the days , even as a 10 year old. ::)

Alex

2iar
13-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Does anyone remember Chris Conroys boat show from the 70's. Used to come on early saturday morning before the speedway and the wresterling on channel 9. Those were the days , even as a 10 year old. ::)

Alex

I hadn't moved to Australia when Chris Conroy was on the box, but I picked up a copy of his "Boating: The First Step" years ago which I found invaluable when getting into boating. I must have read it about 4 times now, and still pull it out for reference every now and again. It's been second only to Ausfish for me in terms of a resource for a new boatie.

I did used to like Brownie's Coastwatch though. I realise some people don't have a high opinion of him personally, but having never met him I've certainly nothing against him. In fact, I quite admired him and found his advice honest and useful. First and foremost I hope he overcomes his illness, and afterwards if he's up to it, makes a return to the scene in some shape or form.

Good luck,
Mike

backhoe
13-03-2006, 07:46 PM
"shut up everyone Brownies on" was the catchcry in our house for many years. Heaven help anyone who talked over Ken.

Started watching Creek to Coast again but am starting to lose interest due to the limited amount of products that could be shown due to sponsership commitments.

Oh the memories
Chris Conroy's was a great show. Never missed it as a kid. Nev Howard fishing segments were quality stuff. Also can recall a woman that used to feature on the boat tests being a bit of a looker in her string bikini. Might have even been Chris' missus MOnique or monica or something. She was definitely essential viewing for me and dad.
Bring it back I say. Better than the BCF sponsered crap that channel 7 produces these days.
It had real honest and balanced info.

Alex

BRYMAD
13-03-2006, 09:17 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting up with Brownie last year and the year before over at Moretom when over there on lets say a boys fishing expedition. I still have impregnated in my mind him & the misses cruising up and down the surf beach on Moreton looking for a good gutter. That man could talk the leg off a wooden chair. A real charcater and pretty much calls a spade a spade.
I hope what ever he is doing now he is still enjoying the good life of Moreton and catching those ones that got away from us.........me.

Goodonya Brownie!