PDA

View Full Version : 2 x Marine Radio Courses pending VMR Victoria Pt

subzero
21-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Hi all, for those of you whom are interested, I have 2 Radio courses coming up.

The 2 dates available are either
Sat 18th Feb
Sat 25th Feb
Both starting at 8.30am and finishing before 5pm. This does include the test.
I have attached a pdf doc with more details.

If you are interested, contact me urgently as spaces usualy fill very quickly.
Their are 24 spots between the 2 dates and over half have gone already through people having contacted me requesting a course previously.

Cheers Lloyd

subzero
21-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Bump

subzero
29-01-2006, 06:55 PM
The first course is now full, the second course so far only has 1 person on it. Any takers?

MulletMan
30-01-2006, 11:52 AM
Can I do half of the second course Llloydy??? :-/ :-/ :-/ :-/

subzero
01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
First course is full.
Second course only has 2 spots left.
I would rather an Ausfisher filled the spots so if any of you are wavering make a decision now as I would expect that they will be gone sometime between now and the Base opening on Saturday morning.
Cheers Lloyd

subzero
03-02-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi all, both courses are now full.
Keep an eye out on here or our website for the next one which I expect to be late March or sometime in April, not sure yet... too far away
For the 7 Ausfishers doing it on either of the 2 courses, dont forget to bring a passport sized photo so that I can include it with your test papers for the Office of Maritime Communications
Looking forward to seeing you all there
Kind Regards
Lloyd

charleville
18-02-2006, 07:28 PM
'Twas a great course today, Lloyd.

Mike Alpha November Yankee # Tango Hotel Alpha November Kilo Sierra.

Out.

subzero
20-02-2006, 11:12 PM
:)
Very clever charleville, you obviously learnt very well indeed.
Nice meeting you,
Cheers Lloyd

Oscar Uniform Tango

subzero
28-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Congratulations Charleville, Valerie (BJ's wife) and any other Ausfish members from the course held on the 18th of Feb. YOU ALL PASSED ;D
As yet I dont have the results from the course on the 25th Feb and expect about a week today.
Once again, congratulations and best wishes to you all
Cheers Lloyd

charleville
28-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Congratulations Charleville, Valerie (BJ's wife) and any other Ausfish members from the course held on the 18th of Feb. YOU ALL PASSED #

Thanks Lloyd. #The letter arrived today.

It is a great testimony to your tuition skills that everyone passed and I certainly appreciate how rigorously honest you were in conducting the exam with no doubts in anyone's mind that this was a fair dinkum legally binding test. #So the results are completely sound. #Well done to you, Lloyd! :) :) :)

I really appreciate your community spirit in giving up your Saturday to do this. #Really great! #:) :) :)

Also, another learning is that I did the full MROCP licence test rather than just the VHF component and passing that just shows me that really, people might as well sit the "full" licence since it takes no more effort (nor cost) to pass that than it does to do just the VHF test other than a few more questions that needed to be answered.

I did learn though to correct my use of the word "Roger" - an old bad habit from driving a taxi for three years many years ago. Your clever use of anecdotes and truisms ("Romeo goes with Juliet not Roger") was extremely helpful.

It was also great to get an insight into the great work of, and some of the trials and tribulations endured by, the VMR groups.

I would recommend your course to anyone with enthusiasm. #Many thanks. :) :) :)

charleville
28-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I forgot to mention, Lloyd, that they did include the test scores for each section of the test in the letter that they sent us so that means that you won't need to email us with advice of our scores.

Once again. many thanks. Really happy. :) :) :) :)

Horrie
28-02-2006, 08:09 PM
G'day Lloyd,
Like Charleville, I also received my letter and licence today.
Many thanks for all your help.
Hooroo
John

subzero
10-03-2006, 03:50 PM
For all those Ausfishers that sat the course on the 25th of April, you all passed.

I cannot tell you the results as I do not have them, I rang and asked as the stress got the better of me seen as a couple of you thought you didnt do to well and I was also wondering what was taking so long. (Apparantly they were posted yesterday afternoon so you should all have your shiny new licenses on Monday if you didnt get them today).
I believe that nowdays, they have started sending the scores direct to you as well so that is good.
Congratulations to you all, well done.
[smiley=laola.gif]
Catch you on the Radio sometime

Kind Regards Lloyd
P.s.
for you people attending the 8th of April course, be nice, I have 3 people from the DPI attending, I dont want a row ;) ;D

subzero
10-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Well done Dreamdays, BigBrian47, fishhead and I think their was also an Ausfisher from VMR Southport, Craig.... well done to you all I just found my records on this messy hard drive of mine, congratulations again to the 4 of you from here.
Cheers Lloyd

bigbrian47
14-03-2006, 07:28 PM
thank you lloyd
i'm sure there are many boaties like me that have and will benefit from your tuition
thanks once again
cheers brian :) :)

ShaneJ
14-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Is this Marine radio course anything like a Ham radios course? Whereby you can skip some of the modules if you work within the Radio Communications industry?

charleville
14-03-2006, 08:03 PM
Is this Marine radio course anything like a Ham radios course? Whereby you can skip some of the modules if you work within the Radio Communications industry?

Not sure you would want to. It is only a one day course costing all of $10 apart from the licence test fee which you would not escape. A lot of it is about the communication protocols and infrastructure (frequencies etc) applying specifically to marine comms.

I have a background in comms at technician and professional engineering level and that just meant that the technical components of the course were dead simple but that was really a small part of the course albeit it constituted a reasonable percentage of the questions in the test. By the same token, I did not get 100% in the test although to be fair I did no study prior to doing the course.

I would really recommend doing the whole day irrespective of how qualified you are. :) Also is good to get a close insight into the workings of a VMR.

ShaneJ
14-03-2006, 08:17 PM
The only reason I ask is I have bad bad memory from bad experiances in automobiles, so passing any test that requires memorising stuff is not a possibility! :(

charleville
14-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Shane, it is a multiple choice exam. You can work out the right answer by the logic most of the time. ;) I stuffed up on remembering frequencies but still passed. :)

regards.....

ShaneJ
14-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Ahhh well thats not soo bad then :D

Horrie
14-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Yep Charlie,
I was the same. ::) Shane, you will have no probs. I had a major brain haemorrhage in recent times and have the associated memory problems. :-?
Lloyd has a great teaching style which is relaxed and entertaining. I'm sure that you will enjoy the day.
Good luck .

Horrie

bundopeace
15-03-2006, 12:18 AM
is it still available

charleville
15-03-2006, 08:36 AM
Subzero (Lloyd) does them from time to time. Send him a PM if you are interested.

Regards.......

subzero
15-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Gidday fellas, thanks for the vote of confidence...
Shane, I am pretty sure we can get you through without too much difficulties, fingers crossed ;)
I have put through a few people that have had one health issue or another and generaly we dont have to many problem's.
I try to use examples, repeat important details throughout the day and try to stick with what will benefit you on the water when and if the need arises where you have to use the radio for a serious incident as well as the routine or everyday stuff.
For the complicated stuff, I try to convert it in to everyday things we all remember, long story, but for batterys in series or paralel, I turn it into a world cup final or a league game... im sure this makes no sense to you without an explanation and nor should it, but everyone who does the course will always remember the difference between the two.

Now the hard part, I dont have any spare spots left, im overbooked by 2 now which makes it a bit cramped... however having said that, I tend to run 1 a month, sometimes 2 in a month if I skip one. I will be probably running another one either late April or early May.
If you or anyone reading this want to put their name down provisionaly for the next one, email me and I will contact you when I set the next date. Otherwise, keep an eye out on here as I always post on here first but the do fill within a week normally

My email address is

lloyd
@
vmr
.org
.au

just join it all together, its not a test, web spiders scan the pages and send a heap of junk mail to any addresses they pick up.

Cheers Lloyd