PDA

View Full Version : QLD spicies identification

wetaline
19-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Q1. #Can anyone help with a link or two to a site that has colour pics or watercolours of the various QLD salties to enable me to verify a groper/cod type fish I found in the crab pot today? #My interest became aroused when I downloaded a link from elsewhere on these forums that returns a "Brief guide to ...rules and regs for QLD fishing". #I noticed that there are some protected species in the groper/cod family.

Q2. #Is it legal to take a fish that has become trapped in one of your pots?

I'm new to QLD and haven't fished the salt for quite a few years now as I have been based in the central west of NSW for 10 years or so. #Hence these questions.

In the meantime since arriving here last month, I have been using a very light rig that I brought up here with me that used to make the Redfin look like GTs when they struck while fishing the Macquarie in Bathurst.
Last evening I "picked up" a rather decent sized bream in Coochin. #To anyone watching I must have looked like Zane Gray landing a marlin, the way the rod bent. #I'm still trying to wipe the smile off me dial. #BTW Bream is my fish of choice, and it's been a long time between drinks.

Back to little Mr. Fishy, I have photographed him, but I am loath to post the pic in case I unwittingly drop myself in it. #It is not my intention to break the law; otherwise I would not be trying to make myself aware of it.
Unfortunately the law is an ass, I have a degree in policing (no I'm not a copper) and my wife, a lawyer has her masters in Criminology. #It's the soft targets like thee and me that become fodder for the authorities in many cases while the real crims walk free on bail or probation, to sell drugs to kids who should be learning to fish!

So to cut a long story short, can any one help in this regard?

Owen
19-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Have a look here
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/
cheers
Owen

wiseguy67
19-03-2006, 08:18 PM
get yourself a copy of "grants Guide to fishes"
and contact the QLD DPI
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/xchg/dpi/hs.xsl/28_630_ENA_HTML.htm

wetaline
20-03-2006, 02:27 PM
Many thanks guys, it was an estuary cod.

rando
20-03-2006, 03:13 PM
YUM yum ;D