PDA

View Full Version : Cyclone Larry Is Heading West

BobbyJ123
19-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Wish us luck, hey? Category 3, expected to reach the Whitsundays this evening, wind gusts from 125-225kmh :'( :'(
Gotta get the loose objects stowed away.

http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDQ65001.gif?1142707339098

bigdan123
19-03-2006, 09:04 AM
hope all goes well for you and yours bob :)

Dan

isaac
19-03-2006, 09:14 AM
The tracker has it going further north, hope not.

Canoedle
19-03-2006, 09:26 AM
I wish you guys up north the best of luck with this, but I got my fingers crossed that it goes as far south as possible as we need it to bring us some rain down here.

wewak1111
19-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Amen Canoedle !

gawby
19-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Wish all of you people in the north good luck and battern down the hatchs.
Wish myself good luck as im going to mackay thisarvo in my truck.
Graeme.

2DKnBJ
19-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Graeme
Wern't you only saying you gota make money while the sun is shining. ;D
Don't think it will be shining for you when you get there ::)
Good luck
Cheers Dazza

longtail
19-03-2006, 01:39 PM
good luck to all those in the far north , lets hope it blows itself out a bit before it hits the coast.

those of you with a boat in the backyard it might be a good idea to drop the anchor out :o

cheers
jason

slugo
19-03-2006, 02:17 PM
If anyone is in the direct path of Larry it may pay to 1/2 fill the tinny with water. that should stop the boat from blowing away and don't forget to put the bungs in.. just a suggestion

LEN

devocean
19-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Yep just tied down the tinny, Larry now category 4 holy crap, just got back from camping just north of mackay and there is still people setting up tents down there could not bellieve it. Anyway hope everything is still standing this time tomoorrow

Feral
19-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Be great if it crossed the coast and got out to the western areas.

scuttlebutt
19-03-2006, 02:54 PM
nah, nothing to worry about. According to Seabreeze the winds aren't going to blow any more than 30 knots and Monday's going to be less than 10!!!

Just goes to show how accurate that site is!!

good luck everyone, I'm just hoping I've still got a roof tomorrow

cheers,

steve

tonyp
19-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Stay safe all of you up there and good luck. !

troy
19-03-2006, 04:36 PM
Could go to category 5 been in one of these and came within meters of losing my beach place from the surge.
Starting to blow bad now and i hope it does not hit a large populated area.
Cyclone Aivu took the entire roof a block of 4 shops mine included and we found the roof down the next block.
The roof went over 5 shops and a two storey pub and landed without hitting any of them.
Troy

gone_phishin
19-03-2006, 04:43 PM
My daughter is on Brampton Island and I pray for her safety as well as all others in the cyclone area. This one is looking particularly nasty.

Good luck all.

Tunzafun
19-03-2006, 04:46 PM
I wonder how many 'cyclone' parties will be held tonight? In my six years in North Queensland, these were all the rage everytime a cyclone watch was posted.

Smile
19-03-2006, 04:53 PM
Hope it doesnt get too serious. But it would be funny to see some of those tents flying around.
Best of luck to anyone worried about it.

goddy100
19-03-2006, 04:59 PM
Might be a few, judging by the line up at the bottle shops ;D
Here in Townsville people queing up to buy food, only IGAs open so they are packed. Also servos are backed up. You would be flat out buying a gas stove at the moment, though BCF still have some (not that I'm plugging there stores, but they are about the only thing open). I heard they are moving all large aircraft from the airport tonight, and it is a cat4, expected to intensify overnight. Could be a rough one for the Cardwell lads :o. Best of luck to those in the direct line, winds of up to 280km/hr expected. Here in T'ville, just a wimpy 120ks.

insideout
19-03-2006, 05:12 PM
Just heard update on cyclone and it is expected to hit about 7:30 in the morning possibly intensifing to cat 5 by tonight. Hope all you people stay safe and well, our thoughts are with you.

brett_rokesky
19-03-2006, 05:19 PM
i'm down here at Yeppoon and she's blowing very well at the moment.
I wonder whats she looks like up the road?
Good luck Gordo hope you have plenty of Mid and ice ;D

nonibbles
19-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Nearly finished preparations. Hope the rest of us are ready. Good luck NQ! Scary crap actually 'specially the amount of people trying to tell me that I'm over reacting. I hope I am.

skippa
19-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Good Luck up there fellas,

Just got back from the Whitties this arvo, spent the last 10 days cruisin the islands, but thats another story. My youngest is still up there working, fortunately she's back on the mainland and off the Island resort.

We left Long Island at 5.45am this morning, light winds then but amazingly still strong gusts/bullets that went well over 25/30knotts and almost zero visibility in some of the local rain squalls made navigating interesting to say the least. Managed to bring the cruiser home safely back to Airlie Beach, with forecasts that predict 40-60knott winds by tonite most charters and bareboats recalled back to Airlie, Shute or Hamo.

Although nearly lost my cool with some idiot I heard on the morning radio skeds, who had just charted a bareboat saying he or his overseas visitors where not going to come back to base because he just got onboard and wasn't wasting his money back in a harbour. Yes he was eventually convinced to return .... Its hard to help some people from themselves sometimes.

Anywho, good luck fellas, my thought are with ya.

Graeme,

you might get up there, getting back home soon could be another matter, take care mate.

Cheers,
Tony # 8-)

gawby
19-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Dazza.
Lucky break, :) got into the depot and loade truck and then found out a brake booster has gone :'(, so come and get me wife ;D, home till tomorrow ;D ;D. Get the brakes fixed in morning then go. ;) Carnt be bodgeing it up, safety first for me. :D :D
Graeme

Panda
19-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Looks like this one could be a big one. Hope some people dont take the warnings too lightly.

Good luck to all in its path.

Dr_Dan
19-03-2006, 06:59 PM
Always better to look back and be over prepared than look back and have been under prepared paul. Needless to say, got the cyclone kit all set out on the table (bottle of whiskey, carton of beer).

In all seriousness, Looks like townsvillians are going to get the soft end of it. Feel for the cardwell crew. Hope all is well up there.

cyclone
19-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Just heard from my brother he lives on a 58ft yacht working in cardwell he's moved up a creek in behind hinchinbrook for some protection looks at this stage like he is in for a direct hit couldn't think of a worse place to be at the moment but not to much he can do about it. will keep in phone contact with him over the next 12hrs if he gets signal.

land-lubber
19-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Good luck boys,
i may be seeing u in the next couple of days. SES has been put on alert down here, so i could very well be up there cleaning up after her on tues/wed. if u see the fellas in orange, come over and say gday ;D

serriously, good luck fellas, hope u see her out all safe and well.
cheers

Scott15
19-03-2006, 08:17 PM
The folks are on a cruise heading for Cairns at the moment lol. Something with P&O i think

NeilD
19-03-2006, 08:24 PM
Goodluck for the big blow

It sounds like a lot of people are not taking this as seriously as they should. Its been a fair while since a big one hit a populated area and this looks like it may have the goods. Keep your fingers crossed.

We are thinking of you

Neil

madmix
19-03-2006, 08:46 PM
they sat back and partied in new orleans, now there stil homeless.
better safe than sorry nonibs.

cheers mick

baldyhead
19-03-2006, 09:04 PM
And if Larrys not bad enough have a look at the bom site synopsys and you will see that there is another cyclone alert exactly where Larry came from. good luck everybody

landbasedtossa
19-03-2006, 09:23 PM
If you're not content with one hourly updates go to the Bureau of Met website , click on the townsville radar, select the 256 km loop and you can clearly see the eye of the cyclone ( currently over flinders reef ) and its direction of travel. And the best part, it updates every 10 minutes.
Good luck to all my fellow Nth Qlders.

cyclone
19-03-2006, 09:32 PM
Yeah just had a look myself eye clearly visable looks to be drifting a bit north it is so still and humid here at the moment a bit errie feels like larrys sucking everything out to sea will see what the morning brings. Regards (Cyclone.) :-[ :-[

nonibbles
19-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Hopefully that low across the top of Australia can attract it further north. Just hope it doesn't hang around long enough to feed that second system trailing it (just north of Vanuatu)

Moffy
19-03-2006, 10:25 PM
constant winds of 79 knots at Flinders over last couple of hours - who knows what the gusts were.

don't usually get too worried about the cyclones, but still prepare (have been in a few) - but this one feels different (have tried not to let onto the missus (and her friend up from melbourne with a 9 month old) - very eery outside - all battened down - hopefully it will slip through in a sparsely populated area somehow - cat 4 - very bad - will do some damage wherever it hits..... and there's plenty of little beach settlements between here (cairns) and cardwell) :-/

Daintreeboy is on the job as part of the counter disaster crew at the Council - not much sleep for him in next few days me thinks.

the next one out at vanuatu could be worse if it comes in on the king tides next week though.......

Dr_Dan
19-03-2006, 10:56 PM
Don't htink many people up this way will be getting much sleep tonight. By the looks of it, townsville might be missing most of the blow, but looking out for the rain to follow.

Lets hope there aren't too many idiots left in the areas that have been evacuated, putting the lives of the SES and such at risk.

nonibbles
20-03-2006, 01:54 AM
looks like Innisfails gonna cop it. There'll be a few there who'll remember Winifred. This'll be worse, good luck everyone.

jim_farrell
20-03-2006, 06:14 AM
This is better than any weather site. This thread combines all the sites. Cat. 5. Good luck to all up north. Thoughts are with you.

krazyfisher
20-03-2006, 06:20 AM
well so far nothing in mackay. I am happy about that. would hate to be at innsfail

cyclone
20-03-2006, 06:20 AM
It's here very strong bullets of wind, power is just hanging in can,t contact my brother this morning have heard from people in babinda south of cairns and they are getting flogged. Plenty more to come yet.

Bream_Reaper01
20-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Good luck all in Larry's path,and i didn't read all this thread but on the radio this morning he's gone upto cat.5.

backhoe
20-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Spoke to my brother this morning. About 30km south of Innisfail. He was in Winifred and reckons this is a fair bit worse. Can't see too may trees standing upright from where he is but said the garden shed is still standing somehow. Asked me to remind him about this if he ever thinks about buying a beach house.

isaac
20-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Just spoke to the oldies in Miriwinni, 10mins north of innisfail, they copped an absolute pounding, they are in the eye of it atm, dead calm. They had a squiz outside nothing left standing, no power, water, house OK though. We went through Winifred and this was a lot worse. They just got to get through the otherside now. cheers

gone_phishin
20-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Good luck to your "oldies" Isaac, and every other person who is caught up in this. I'm sure we're all with you and them in spirit!

Geoff

Dug
20-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Best wishes to all up there

Hope they are all OK.

Doug

essky
20-03-2006, 09:21 AM
don't know what you a re talking about #

Seabreeze is forcasting a nice day for cairns. #;D

seatime
20-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Hope the communities in and around Innisfail and far NQ come thru ok.

You're going to need plenty of help cleaning up and rebuilding your homes and lives. Best of luck and we'll do what we can to help.

regards Steve

cooky
20-03-2006, 10:55 AM
Nearly finished preparations. Hope the rest of us are ready. Good luck NQ! Scary crap actually 'specially the amount of people trying to tell me that I'm over reacting. I hope I am.

Depends what overreacting is defined at I guess. I don't give anyone a hard time for how over or under prepared they may or may not be. Everyone to their own. I do think the amount of kaos in townsville yesterday (fuel, water, shopping centres) was ridiculous. Shows how many idiots aren't prepared at all. My wife was giving me a hard time saying friends were getting supplies and we weren't prepared. She was worried because of all the action happening by others. Because we go camping, I had gas, generator full, spare fuel (100lt in boat), fridge (chescold), torches, batteries, food - and all the other crap. My prep time was pulling down the outside shade cover - tying the boat to fence, filling water containers. I almost panicked when I realised I was almost out of beer - luckily I had spirits and softdrink ;)

I had most staff call me this morning and asked me if they were coming in. Bit of a breeze and some rain isn't exactly scary. I had to cover my arse by encouraging them to use common sense and let them know the office would be open from 8. 90% of staff have come in, but I'd say 80% of Townsville businesses are closed - that is something I find ridiculous. People pretending the threat is dire and they can't work, when everyone knows that its a great excuse for a day off. My office is one street from the beach - if the winds bad - it's at its worst here. I guess that's when my staff must hate working for an owner manager.

wiseguy67
20-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Re: Cooky
Depends what overreacting is defined at I guess. #I don't give anyone a hard time for how over or under prepared they may or may not be. #Everyone to their own. #I do think the amount of kaos in townsville yesterday (fuel, water, shopping centres) was ridiculous. #Shows how many idiots aren't prepared at all. #

but I'd say 80% of Townsville businesses are closed - that is something I find ridiculous. #People pretending the threat is dire and they can't work, when everyone knows that its a great excuse for a day off. #My office is one street from the beach - if the winds bad - it's at its worst here. # I guess that's when my staff must hate working for an owner manager.[/quote]

~after the tsunami and Hurricane Katrina for example~ one would think by now people would take any warning of a Cat 4 or 5 serious.
Its the people that ignor warnings that end up dead and if not dead then the loudest to complain.

Do you not remember Darwin?

Idiom: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Pwoida
20-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Just spoke to my in-laws in the cairns foothills (redlynch), they said it blew a bit but nothing they hadn't seen before. My thoughts are with those further south.

Barrymundi
20-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Latest news report does not look good.

They suggest the worst may be yet to come. No idea how, Larry has moved inland.

I am home in Townsville, enjoying the day off.

If anybody around the area needs a hand with anything, call me on mobile 0408 270 908, plenty of room at my place.

Al

sf17fisherman
20-03-2006, 11:46 AM
i think the comparision to dawin is fair enoght considering the stength of the cyclone how ever this does show how well most of the people who live north are and also how far we have come in our buildings and response to these things

from what i have heard thus far from the media and also mate that are more relable is the damage isn't as bad as what was expected and thus far no one has heard of any lost of life

with luck who know it may stay that way but with such a big storm we still need to expect the worst

good luck to all you backward northen queenslanders

what did get my but was beatie anouncment after it hit and call for the area to be a desaster zone so the ses and police have the powers to remove poeple forcfully
made me wonder why it wasn't done last night ::)

Barrymundi
20-03-2006, 12:01 PM
Beattie announced that yesterday.

They started moving people out yesterday.

Al

sf17fisherman
20-03-2006, 12:37 PM
Beattie announced that yesterday.

They started moving people out yesterday.

Al
thanks for clearing that up
was doing the wrong thing and took what the meadia said as true
did think it was stange thing to do if he called it after it hit

cooky
20-03-2006, 12:57 PM
~after the tsunami and Hurricane Katrina for example~ one would think by now people would take any warning of a Cat 4 or 5 serious.
Its the people that ignor warnings that end up dead and if not dead then the loudest to complain.

Do you not remember Darwin?

Idiom: an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

heh - I didn't say that prevention was silly - I actually commented that I was surprised how many people obviously aren't (weren't) prepared - and then panic and kaos. I was and am prepared because I know we live in NQ and you're meant to be prepared for cyclones (not when they suddenly look like hitting). Not sure how you misread, unless you're talking about not working - I hope you're kidding. I live and work in Townsville - the cyclone hit in Innisfail this morning. No one in Townsville was really worried today, or maybe worried they might have to work. I don't have an issue with people using it as an excuse though - as long as they're not my staff ;)

bugman
20-03-2006, 01:01 PM
For those interested there's a pretty good wrap here:

http://abc.net.au/news/default.htm

Go into the top story and check out all the links.

For those wanting the raw vision check out
http://www.abc.net.au/vod/news/
and look for the raw vision yarns we editted together in the last 24 hours section

Brett

Fishin_Dan
20-03-2006, 01:16 PM
It got pretty damn breezy & rainy here in Ayr last night and this morning! :o

It's been raining on and of all day... When it's off, it's dead calm... When it's on, it's BELTING down!

subzero
20-03-2006, 06:43 PM
bugman, great news site, I will use that from now on... used to use the Courier Mail online but I arent to fond of its layout now

Hope our Nthn Ausfishers friends and familys have survived the disaster thats hit them without to many unsurmountable problems. I cant see to many of you escaping Larry's wrath if you live anywhere near Innisfail. Best wishes to you all, my thoughts are with you

Sincerely Lloyd

Bosunsmate
20-03-2006, 07:40 PM
How humbled and lucky do we feel here in Townsville........Wati lookslike it's going to drift south prior to reaching our coast, thankfully.

Some good weather links below:

Joint Typhoon Warning Centre
https://metoc.npmoc.navy.mil/cgi-bin/abpwcreate.cgi?File=1

Independent Weather
http://www.independentwx.com/

Satalite Ops at one of the US Navy Sites
http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc_home.html

Fiji Met Service
http://www.met.gov.fj/

Some very interesting stuff between them all.

To anyone affected directly or indirectly our thoughts are with you and your families, safe traveling and may you have a speedy resumptiion of normal life..

morty103
20-03-2006, 08:44 PM
send it out bloody west, its needed there