PDA

View Full Version : DIRTY UNDIES-THE BAR

mono
16-01-2006, 10:07 PM
A lot of you have probably already seen this but, here it is again. This guy is really bad at judging were the channel is OR one hell of a thrill seeker!!
Reminds me of Brunswick Bar on a good day!
Enjoy.
Cheers

mono
16-01-2006, 10:09 PM
Starting to break, better get movin'!

webby
16-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I take it Windarra is sitting on the backside of those little waves ;D

mono
16-01-2006, 10:23 PM
No Webby 'Windara' is still stuck in the factory for another week or so, bugger.
Good to see you back Brian, how was the land of 'family love'?
Cheers

webby
16-01-2006, 10:29 PM
Mate have a read in Saltwater report estuary, and watch ya taste bud dribble ;D

1810B
16-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Mono, give you odds on its hawaii, see the tall whip stick on top of the wheelhouse?
Whip stick..... what are they for?

mono
17-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Hi 1810B, I've fished in Hawaii a few times and have honestly got no idea what a whip stick is for. Maybe someone out in ausfish land might know?
Cheers

2iar
17-01-2006, 02:37 PM
Googled this (from an article on the Mayflower):

The whipstick is a pole down below on the ship which you can push left and right. There is a person on deck who tells the person down below what to do to steer the ship.

Mike

MAL
17-01-2006, 02:43 PM
Hi all, is that a dolphin just off the bow of the boat in the second picture.

Cheers.

MAL.

2iar
17-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Hi all, is that a dolphin just off the bow of the boat in the second picture.

Cheers.

MAL.

Nope, I reckon it's the tender :D

MAL
17-01-2006, 02:56 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D ya never know.

Cheers.

MAL. :o

toymod
17-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Nah thats him bailing out ;D

1810B
17-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Mono, when I first started fishing yellowfin, my Jap agent gave me some info in what the Hawiians were using to catch their tuna other than longline. The set up was a long (read high) fibreglass pole set onto the wheelhouse or oher high spot on the boat. From this they ran like a long teaser line out over the stern sometime with terminal tackle on it with release clips. Apparently it was a successful method for a while. In the first photo you can see the bend in the pole on the wheel house roof and in the second can see the lines laying reasonably loose. I dont say that it is what I asked, it could be just his pennant pole, but what with the wave behind him and seeing that on the roof reminded me of the videos and paperwok I was given on it back in the late 80s.

Regards Bob.

Hagar
17-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Two things

How did they get out past a sea like that in the first place and second how good is that hull to come over a greenie downhill like that and not broach - I want one . :o

subzero
17-01-2006, 08:09 PM
Thats no Dolphin, thats the Grim Reaper :o ;D

szopen
17-01-2006, 08:16 PM
That is one big wave.

Ozwald
18-01-2006, 12:55 PM
And what happened to the guy taking the pictures?

cooky
18-01-2006, 01:51 PM
F**K THAT!!!!!

roz
18-01-2006, 02:16 PM
Posted a series of these over a year ago, this was one. Hope you don't mind mono.

It's the Narooma Bar, NSW South coast.

roz

roz
18-01-2006, 02:19 PM
just a bit out of order.

gogecko
18-01-2006, 02:32 PM
Yes, hagar I think your right. Its not possible to get that much boatspeed to be ahead of the wave and not broach (at that angle). The time taken to get from the crest of the wave to teh bottom, would make the tracks look less strong at the top. A real boat would be moving more sideways to escape the break. Therefore I reckon its a fake, just guessing. Where did you get it from mono?

It is entirely possible to get outside the break in hawaii, and be suprised by big seas on the way back. The photo would be taken from the shore with a telephoto lens like most surf photos.

Ive done a lot of surfing, and the wave tracks dont look right. I also reckon its Waiamea Bay by the wave shape. Its definitley not pipeline or ala mona.

Andrew

Roo
18-01-2006, 05:35 PM
could be jaws too.

mono
18-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Great photos Roz, was there any more waves after that and did they make it?
Hi Andrew, I can remember the site were the photos came from but it was a Hawaiian Boat charter-surfing bussiness. Dont know if it was his boat or not. The photos I downloaded were pretty high resolution and I had a real good look to see if it was fake or not. I'm confident its ok.
I had to downsize them a lot to get them on this site.
The first time I went to Hawaii I was surfing a place on the north Island, Kawai, in a bay. The locals were calling it, the surf, a solid 12 feet plus and really clean. The surf broke for almost a kilometre down along a point break. At the end of the ride you could paddle back out in open (very deep) water. It broke into a bay and there were lots of boats moored INSIDE the break and when they went to sea they just motored out around the break!
In the month we surfed this area I seen a few boats get way too close when trying to surf a couple of big ones into the bay. Luckily they all seemed to manage to get out of it ok but some days I didnt know how!
Cheers
Ps Any one else got some chunky boat-wave photos to share?

Big_Ren
18-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Posted a series of these over a year ago, this was one. Hope you don't mind mono.

It's the Narooma Bar, NSW South coast.

roz

That is one keen boatie Roz. Gets my dirty undies vote for sure :o I don't know the Narooma Bar at all. Was that right outside the breakwalls? Glad they don't stand up like that outside Mooloolaba too often.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Paul

Fishinmishin
18-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Ya forgot one Roz ;).

seabug
18-01-2006, 11:26 PM
Just curious,
With the Narooma pictures ,is it the same wave?
In the top picture the boat is heading away from the camera, nose down,no wake.
In the last picture the boat is side-on ,with wake.
Cheers
Seabug

BrandonH
18-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I agree with you cooky!!! DAM.. I neve wanta be in a boat doing that :o

It is all about timing .. I guess you gota learn one way or the other!! Lol..

mono
19-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Thanks Fishinmishin, is that the first shot or the last? In the other two it looks like the boat is staled? Great shots. Thanks
Cheers

Vic1
19-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Jay

Is that u driving the last boat??????

Hoges
19-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Yes, hagar I think your right. Its not possible to get that much boatspeed to be ahead of the wave and not broach (at that angle). The time taken to get from the crest of the wave to teh bottom, would make the tracks look less strong at the top. A real boat would be moving more sideways to escape the break. Therefore I reckon its a fake, just guessing. Where did you get it from mono?

It is entirely possible to get outside the break in hawaii, and be suprised by big seas on the way back. The photo would be taken from the shore with a telephoto lens like most surf photos.

Ive done a lot of surfing, and the wave tracks dont look right. I also reckon its Waiamea Bay by the wave shape. Its definitley not pipeline or ala mona.

Andrew

:-?

Definitley reckon the OP's photos have been Photo Shopped! Stunning but not quite believable IMHO.

roz
20-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Mono,

I posted a series of those here about 12 months ago, I have about 12 or so given to me by a friend who lives down there, fairly spectular stuff.

It happened during the Narooma convention, the boat (in the picture) decided against advice to cross the bar.

What happened was quite amazing, they took the wave (in fishinmissins post) the anchor then fell off the boat, and hooked them up on the bar.

They were unbelievably lucky as there was a bit of a lul, the rest of the photos shows them cutting the rope. They get going just as a huge wave rolls in.

I have the original pics.

If you like I will post them again or email them to you.

regards Roz

Fixation
20-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Roz,
Could you please post the remaining pictures up again. I would love to see them. Looks like the water is a little brown around them in that last photo! That looks awesome. :o

roz
20-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Paul, (big_ren)

yep, thats out the front. Ive been across the Narooma bar and it can be really dodgey on the back tide...... same as most. But as you can see they get some big swells rolling in down there.

I might start a worst bar topic here, but I feel the Tweed Bar IMHO before the sand by pass was worse than the Narooma Bar. The former has claimed a lot of lives over the years. On a bad day there could have been 200 metres of dangerous water on the Tweed Bar.

I've never crossed the Brunswick Bar mono, but I believe its another nasty one.

roz

roz
20-01-2006, 01:13 PM
Ok fixation, No probs

I will have to dig them out again, so give me a day or two.

I am also trying to finish off a butt wrap on a rod by the weekend (need four hands)

roz

sf17fisherman
20-01-2006, 01:20 PM
rearry roz you could say all northen NSW river bars are the worst ;D ;D

roz
20-01-2006, 02:57 PM
sf17fisherman,

Your're right, I suppose because the Tweed gets a lot of traffic it also gets more boating accidents. I used to cross that bar in my boat when I lived up there.

cheers Roz

sf17fisherman
20-01-2006, 03:14 PM
i doun't know the south west rocks one is getting worst each year with boats going over a fair bit and the one at port has a boat sink on it atleast every 6 mounth

hell alot of the bars like hat head and other small towns just don't exist any more nothing more now than a shallow creek bed leading over to a beach

count_baysea
20-01-2006, 05:17 PM
its not a boat pick but i reckon a dirty undies pick.

1810B
20-01-2006, 06:42 PM
Only time Ive seen a complete wheel house go from a trawler was on the Brunswick bar. Boat was the Omega and someone go photos of the action. The pics were on the wall of the Brunswick coop( most likely still there. Its only taken me a week to think of the boats name. In another week I will remember the skippers name. Not old just slowing.

Mad_fisherman
20-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Those pic's of down south are amazing.

That is some serious crazyness.

MAD!

mono
20-01-2006, 09:37 PM
Yes 1810B the photos are still on the wall at the co-op. I'll see if I can sneak a photo with my digital tomorrow and then post them.
Roz, it would be great to see the whole series of shots in sequence.
I'd have to agree about north coast bars, none are real good on average. You should have seen the bruns bar this avo! There is so much silt runoff from the new highway road works and already a heap of it has been deposited IN the bar. I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it. I wonder if the road builders are responsible for now dredging the bar to make it reasonably safe again. Normally the huge amount of rain we have experienced the past 24 hours (12 inches) would flush the bar out, not bloody make it ten times worse.
I'm sure this will turn into a hot issue locally.
Cheers

roz
22-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Here they are Mono.

have scanned ALL the photos in the series, there is a line running through each photo, something in the MFC, don't know how to fix it....yet.

I realise some of you have already seen these before.

roz

roz
22-01-2006, 05:02 PM
two

roz
22-01-2006, 05:03 PM
three

roz
22-01-2006, 05:04 PM
four

roz
22-01-2006, 05:06 PM
five

roz
22-01-2006, 05:07 PM
six

roz
22-01-2006, 05:11 PM
seven

roz
22-01-2006, 05:12 PM
eight

roz
22-01-2006, 05:14 PM
nine

roz
22-01-2006, 05:15 PM
ten

roz
22-01-2006, 05:17 PM
eleven

roz
22-01-2006, 05:18 PM
twelve

familyman
22-01-2006, 05:45 PM
I bet there's a few tense words going on between skipper and crew there,looks like it died after the photo 5 ,dont know whether they would of got through that .By the looks of photo 10 they were slipping back down each successive swell. :'(
Definitely some clean undies needed all round :o
Now where is my seadoo ;D
cheers jon

onerabbit
22-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Awsome photos roz, dont wish to be there . Hey mono, posted this recently in a different spot on bruns, hear you were the one to talk to on windarra banks??? Would appreciate any advice as to when to travel from Ballina to check it out??? Muzz

mono
22-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Thanks for that Roz, awesome.
Hi Muzz, Yes I actually remember that tinny getting hammered. Poor buggers picked THE worse time to go that day! If you want to know a bit about 'Windara Banks' I will try and help. Send me a PM and I will give you my phone number.
Cheers

Fish_Two
22-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey Mono ,
Do you remember a big cat called pussy foot going over at Bruns,,was about 10 years ago ?
It was a wild day ,don't #know what they where thinking
It just went up and over,
Mast got stuck in the sand had to break the boat up on the beach,cornflakes floating down the river,bits of boat everywhere,,

Do you think the bar will be crossable on the weekend?

Glen

onerabbit
23-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Cheers mono, will definitely get back to you on that one, thank you .
:) :) :) :) :)
Might just be me , but most of the big ooopsies that happen, more often than not, seem to be tourists ( no offence ) or once every 6 months fishermen, who put in all the effort to be there on the day, but have no idea / local knowledge as to wheather its safe or not.
They are so desperate to go that they either ignore warning signs, or just dont realize, possibly even see someone else get out & think "they got out", with some its the maintainance factor also, "it was ok last time we used it".
A pity there isn't some way to educate them on the dangers of our bars!
That said, any one visiting Ballina who would like a bit of friendly advice is more than welcome to call me, Muzz.

insideout
23-01-2006, 06:53 PM
so thats how they tow surfers into big wave action in hawaii !! dont they have jetskis over there??? :o :o :o

mono
23-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Hi Glen, no dont remember Pussy foot going over, I've only been launching at Bruns consistently for the past 5 years (since I moved over here from Byron). Used to beach launch in Byron before that. The bar was quite safe today, BUT, tomorrow and this coming weekend are new days!! Fingers crossed the water starts to clear up.
Hi Muzz, I agree totally with everything you said. A good indicator for visitors to any area ; 'if the trailor park is empty at 6am then there has to be a good reason!'.
Cheers

onerabbit
23-01-2006, 08:26 PM
'if the trailor park is empty at 6am then there has to be a good reason!'.
Cheers
put simply, the best advice anyone could get

Billo
23-01-2006, 08:34 PM
I know from the days of surfing reefs , you can be a metre outside the break zone and have massive walls staring down at you then they just die off ....hawaii reefs are renound for that , just the formation .
The guy was obviously playing the side of the wave where the water pressure actually pushes more sideways then forward ..doesn't have as much speed...so i can understand how that is possible without broaching ..however crazy stuff !

The Narooma bar picks look more scary to me ....a sand bar has no where near the consistency in placement of the break and makes it a lot harder to judge succesfully. they could have been rat$hit REALLY easy.

Smithy
24-01-2006, 09:43 PM
This is from a link George posted in the GT thread in Saltwater chat. Some crazy dudes chasing GTs in Spain.

Smithy
24-01-2006, 09:45 PM

Smithy
24-01-2006, 09:47 PM

Smithy
24-01-2006, 09:49 PM
Promo shot I am guessing.

Smithy
24-01-2006, 09:50 PM
But this series of shots is a bit more serious!

Smithy
24-01-2006, 10:06 PM

Smithy
24-01-2006, 10:07 PM

Smithy
24-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Smithy
24-01-2006, 10:08 PM

Smithy
24-01-2006, 10:09 PM

finding_time
24-01-2006, 10:19 PM
ten

This is probably where i tell the skip he's a moron and take up body surfing! much better off taking my chances with the open ocean than the boat rolling and knocking me out also better the sea than that skippa!!

Ian

mono
24-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey Smithy, the last series of shots (gameboat) is AWESOME. What bar is it?
Cheers

Heath
25-01-2006, 06:26 AM
With the series of pics that Roz posted. Didn't the anchor come loose after he got a bit of air early in the piece?
Thats why the guys was up the front.

I remember reading it somewhere

Big_Ren
25-01-2006, 11:33 AM
With the series of pics that Roz posted. Didn't the anchor come loose after he got a bit of air early in the piece?
Thats why the guys was up the front.

I remember reading it somewhere

Hi Heath

Yeah you're right. I think Roz posted that they had to cut the anchor rope before trying to make good their escape. One of the shots certainly looks like it was about to spear into the water. Murphy's Law at play no doubt. >:(

Cheers
Paul

boatboy50
20-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Hey Guys,

I searched for ages to find this forum again. Remembered I had one to add which I think is amazing.

It's very low res, so im not sure how well it will turn out.

But here goes!

boatboy50
20-03-2006, 09:05 PM
Turned out alright I guess, so here is another.

boatboy50
20-03-2006, 09:06 PM
and another

boatboy50
20-03-2006, 09:09 PM
And the inevitable aftermath.

This was on the Gold Coast seaway a couple of years ago.

The boat was a brand new 7m Sportfish Centre Cab, with an Optimax.

The guy who took the photos said it was just wrong place at the wrong time, as in the 10 minutes before this shot he had not seen the huge ocean swells break, merely roll through.

Everyone was rescued, and the boat was recovered.

Regards

Darren

jim_farrell
20-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Darren, Funny you should post this. I was beside the photographer. One of those days when one stood up every third or fourth set. Prior to the plate boat going over, a few boats had close calls. If it is the one I think, it was some young guys out in dads new boat..... >:(
I wonder how the chat was at dinner for the next week.

As a kid, i grew up on tweed. Poor judgement one day saw my dad cross on a bad day. He had a mate up from sydney who wanted to catch a marlin. 18 foot cruise craft bow rider. We pushed through under the crest smashing the windscreen. Thank god there wasn't one behind it as we lost all momentum.
Dads mate got sea sick in the first hour. Hardly wet a line before we turned for home from nine mile.
Lesson i learnt. As skipper, if your not comfortable, its not worth it.

That was a bad bar a few years back. It almost finished the local trawling industry. They must have lost a couple of boats a year there for a while.

el_carpo
21-03-2006, 03:42 AM
Those pics are pretty close to ........... :o

wetaline
21-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks guys for sharing some classic "Brown trousers moments" with us all.

I wonder if the boat in the "Golden Sunrise" pics was a charter boat? Maybe their slogan went like this.

The fishing looks great,
So please don't be late.
We're UP and away at dawn.
Bring some spare gear,
Especially some jocks,
For your first pair are sure to turn fawn.

Hoges
21-03-2006, 12:20 PM
Or wetaline it might go like this.

;D

Its just a little wave
So sit back and be brave
Don't be a half wit
The skippers full of sh!t

:o