PDA

View Full Version : Hervey Bay may get new boat ramps

insideout
23-03-2006, 06:58 PM
Fraser coast boaties have reeled in a whopper catch with news that two more ramps are a step closer to reality.Hervey bay city council yesterday backed plans to transform the private Gatakers Bay pad into a all -tide public ramp.Councilllers also decided to push Qld Trans on the options of upgrading the existing ramp at the end of Burrum Road, Burrum Heads, or build a new one at Lions Park.No decision was made on the size of the ramps."Councillers should start off asking for 2 lane ramp with room to expand", Mayor Ted Sorensen said. "we are looking at a million dollars to provide a four lane facility, which would require parking for 90 cars and toilets"."We would be more realistic if we ask for a two lane boat ramp in the short term because of budget constraints" The decision has "absolutely delighted" fishing lobby group ,Sunfish. "We are 80% there and hope the first ramp is complete within 2 years" secretary Martin Bellert said."with the councils backing we are certain this will now go ahead. We will lobby Queensland Transport but we are very confident". Mr Bellert said the two existing public ramps at Gatakers Bay were" very exposed" and not accessible at all times because of tides. He said distances between the land to the water were sometimes 3 to 400 metres. The council will make a submission to Qld Trans to jointly fund the proposal and provide costings to maintain existing ramps. Council officers had recommended the closure of the Burrum Bridge ramp because of its poor condition but it will stay open until the authority takes over the power station ramp nearby.

Story published in todays FRASER COAST CHRONICLE by GLENN CORDINGLEY

on a personal note , this is great news for fishos here.With only a few all-tide ramps, things get alittle heated sometimes. But methinks if the ramps are built in 2 years, they will be 5 years too late.

insideout

land-lubber
23-03-2006, 08:07 PM
damn......
gatakers is almost pristine and my favourite spot or landbased reefies. so i greet this news with mixed feelings. the poorer state of this ramp has left the fishing in excelent condition and i fear that with a new ramp, itll get flogged to death, as that area is easily accessiable to any1 with a tub and engine in the right conditions. they only have to use 50c of fuel to get to the spots. my other fear is that they will dredge the channel :'( that would not b good ;). anyway. i suppose its all hand in hand with a booming area isnt it ::). ill just have to enjoy the fishing while i can :D (sounds like a good excuse 4 a trip ;))
cheers