Sportfish_5
10-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Only in America ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

http://www.m90.org/index.php?id=11568

Cheers

Greg

MulletMan
10-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Good vid but the guys in the boat did have the right of way nonetheless!
The Coastguard Skipper should have backed off I reckon but maybe the rules are different in the States?
Maybe they should have put a shot across his bows first? [smiley=rifle.gif]

charleville
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
I don't know what the boating rules are in the USA but if they were in Australia, the Coastguard boat would be in the wrong.

Owen
11-03-2006, 12:10 AM
Can't believe the coast guard boat didn't back off! :o
He got on the load hailer and called "the skipper in the speed boat" !?!?!?!
I couldn't hear that, but the commentary said he had.
Bit like people blowing their horn when they are about to crash into someone.
If you've got time to do that, you've got time to take evasive action.

Coast Guard Cutter?
What Coast Guard Cutter ??!! ;D

cheers,
Owen

seabug
11-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Seems different in the States

http://www.ehow.com/how_3316_navigation-rules-avoid.html

See two powerboats... no. 2

Regards
Seabug

Fishinmishin
11-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Regardless of who was right...the coastguard acted like idiots on this occasion >:(. I didn't notice any attempt to alter coarse or back off until it was too late even though they noticed the problem in advance.
I hope the fool behind the wheel doesn't ever have to rescue me as I'm sure he'd run me over as well ;D.
Cheers, Jay

seabug
11-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Seems like the Coastguard skipper had a case of "mine is bigger than yours"

And yes,I agree with Jay, he should have taken evasive action

Regards
Seabug

charleville
11-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Seems different in the States

http://www.ehow.com/how_3316_navigation-rules-avoid.html

See two powerboats... no. 2

Ah yes - different rules - thanks. No common sense though.

Lone_Wolf
11-03-2006, 06:22 AM
You have to wonder where a common sense approach to boating had gone by both skippers. Yes the Coastguard should have backed off, he could clearly see the impending danger. The other skip was not really aware of what was going on around him either which is poor boating in itself.

Quotes of the year:

"The first time I knew a boat was there was when they hit my boat in the back end" Must have been poor visibility...NOT!! #

and "now the Coastguard has a rescue operation they didn't even plan for" #

Grand_Marlin
11-03-2006, 06:41 AM
What ever happened to the International Rules for the Prevention of Collision at Sea?

Thats what we work under.

The key being International ? :-/

Although, nothing would suprise me in America.

I saw a twin engined rig over there ... it was roughly 22ft long ... it had a Honda 130 4 stroke and a Johnson 130 2 stroke on the same boat !

lippa
11-03-2006, 07:19 AM
thank christ our VMR boys have got their heads screwed on.

cheers

lippa

seatime
11-03-2006, 10:43 AM
That's the craziest bit of seamanship ever caught on video. Surely the coast guard would have as much explaining to do as the guy he hit. The coast guard over there is like quasi navy. They are armed and obviously dangerous.

They operate under a different bouyage system, IALA "B" (International Association of Lighthouse Authorities). We use IALA "A" system, basically , the lateral marks are reversed. They usually like to be different the yanks.

Never heard of an alternate "International Regulations on Collisions at Sea" though? that's a new one. But it is in America. They still run Loran C navigation system last time I heard. Just in case some knocks out their NAVSTAR system (GPS). Paranoid.
The US Coast Guard is responsible for a lot of the maritime training, however they have removed magnetic compasses, offshore navigation (or Long Range as the navy calls it) and other really important stuff from their curiculum. And it shows.

Fishinmishin
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
...but yes.....still more blind captains ;D.

Click here (http://www.riderscartel.com/clip_info.aspx?vcid=1492)
Cheers, Jay

2iar
12-03-2006, 04:54 PM
and "now the Coastguard has a rescue operation they didn't even plan for"

...but could easily have avoided.

What a bunch of dills. If that's how the Coastguard operate, I wouldn't want to be in their equivalent of the Broadwater on a weekend...it'd be like a train wreck.

Good luck,
Mike

scuttlebutt
12-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Unbelievable! The whole crew on a Coastguard boat watching and even someone filming an impending collision and they do nothing to prevent it. Obviously too hard to just back off a bit!

cheers,

steve

Panda
12-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Sort of like running down a little old lady in your car because she didn't cross on a zebra crossing.

Why on earth the Coastguard would run down a smaller boat on purpose just because they have right of way is beyond me.

The Yanks are normally paranoid about liability law suits, so I can only guess there might be some law exempting the Coastguard from civil suits when they are on a mission. ???

seatime
12-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Why didn't they use their sound signalling device - 5 short blasts - what is your intention, instead of yelling into a bull horn.
As if they would be heard over the engine noise at 20kts.

There is a funny story that did the traps years ago.

Exchanges were heard on MF/HF and recorded. A US warship was operating on the West Coast when a light was seen ahead. Bearings were taken and the risk of collision was deemed to exist. The US warship called the unknown vessel in the plotted position, but got no response.
They repeatedly called stating they were a US warship and if the approaching vessel didn't respond and bear away the USS whatever would see it as an act of aggression and take retaliatory action.
They finally got a response from the Canadian lighthouse they were steaming towards, that if the US warship didn't bear away they would run aground!
I wish I had kept the copy with the actual radio exchanges, the last part was very funny. ;D cheers

Fishinmishin
14-03-2006, 02:09 AM
This one? ;D
http://www.wetasschronicles.com/USSMontana.wmv
Cheers, Jay

seatime
14-03-2006, 06:30 AM
#Good one Jay, that must be the hollywood version.
#The printed version I saw was off the West Nth American coast.
#The final exchanges with the Canadian lighthouse were more tense than the video version.
# #The Yanks must try and make light of it and turn it into an Irish joke. They don't like the truth to get in the way of a good story. cheers Steve.

bugman
14-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Greg,

For a moment there I thought you were talking about sailboats [smiley=hanged.gif] [smiley=hanged.gif]

adds31
23-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Geez, Imagine if our navy or coastguard took that approach on illegal fishing vessels up north.

Adds...

uripper
23-03-2006, 09:42 PM
maybe it has something to do with American maritime "right of way" ...

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US Naval ship and the Canadians, off the coast of Newfoundland, in October 1995.

CANADIANS: Please divert your course 15 degrees to the South, to avoid collision.
AMERICANS: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the North, to avoid a collision.

CANADIANS: Negative. You will have to divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.
AMERICANS: This is the Captain of a US Navy ship. I say again, divert YOUR course.

CANADIANS: Negative. I say again, you will have to divert your course.

AMERICANS: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER US LINCOLN, THE SECOND
LARGEST SHIP IN THE UNITED STATES ATLANTIC FLEET. WE ARE ACCOMPANIED BY THREE DESTROYERS, THREE CRUISERS, AND NUMEROUS SUPPORT VESSELS. I DEMAND THAT YOU CHANGE YOUR COURSE 15 DEGREES NORTH, SAY AGAIN, THAT'S 15 DEGREES NORTH, OR COUNTERMEASURES WILL BE UNDERTAKEN TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF THIS SHIP.

CANADIANS: We are a lighthouse. Your call.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D