Pic attached of original fish

wayne_cook
27-03-2006, 09:42 AM
result

Hoges
27-03-2006, 09:45 AM
:)
Nice fish!
Care to elaborate more on storing and protecting the fish for the mould?
Why gaff and not net?
:-?

finga64
27-03-2006, 10:18 AM
That's a beauty :)
What did it weigh??
Jealously Scott

choppa
27-03-2006, 11:01 AM
nice looking specimen bb.......when you answer hoges query,,,throw in a plug for who done the final work,,the detail on all the fins looks pretty damn good,,,,,,,,,,,,chop

PAYNE
27-03-2006, 11:55 AM
check out www.skinsalive.com.au for skin mounts and casts.

I've organised my 123cm barra to go to these guys after recommendations they are the best in the business. You can see why when you see the pics on their website (no Snapper in there though :))

There's about a 9 month wait and the cost is up there but for results that are second to none, it's going to be worth it.

imported_admin
27-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Some nice looking mounts/moulds there. Do you mind me asking what sort of price it would cost for your Barra to be done?

PAYNE
27-03-2006, 01:06 PM
Roughly $1250 for the barra. They've just got another couple of barras from Awoonga to do and because they're all different sizes, you're looking at different pricings. The biggest that turned up last week at Skins Alive was a 125cm fish. Nice :)

I know there are taxidermists that do cheaper mounts but I also know the work is sub-standard at the same time. I've had one done about 9 years ago and wasn't overly happy with the result.

I've got no hesitation in paying for quality though.

wayne_cook
27-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Hoges
The guy who done the job mentioned there was a fair bit of scale, dorsal, pec.,and tail damage all done due to net. It took a lot of work to repair. He said a small gaff hole was easier to deal with.
If u look carefully at original shot u can see dorsal damage and some small air gaps in tail. The better looked after the better the result. Get the fish to the caster asap.

Scott
She went 9.7kg 24hrs after being landed.Caught on 12lb ande line 6:1/2abu no sinker 2/osquare hook no trace 1/2 pillie tail bait. Took about 280m of line and came back spent not worth releasing.

Choppa
I'll ckeck if guy wants work.I know he's got some beakies he's finishing at the moment.

wayne_cook
27-03-2006, 02:16 PM
Forgot to give marks where fish was taken.
Often fished mark called somewhere south of nowhere wide. :-*

wayne_cook
27-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Leeann
My costs where considerably cheaper but it was through a friend of a friend.

PAYNE
27-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Thanks brrbear. Like I mentioned before, I prefer paying more for a great job rather than spend less money on an average job. There's a lot of pretty ordinary looking casts of fish around which I wouldn't pay 5 cents for. Mine will be up on the wall for a while...... until I get my 80lb barra anyway ;)

wayne_cook
27-03-2006, 03:14 PM
How true Leeann. ;)
I've been waiting about 35 years to nail a 80lb jew need a few more to save up that much dough though. ;D
Cheers bb