PDA

View Full Version : Courier Mail fishing column

Nugget
23-03-2006, 11:58 AM
After 32 continuous years, as of tomorrow there will no longer be a fishing column in the Courier Mail. It has been axed by News Corpse management.

I'd like to say thanks to Geoff Orr (32 years at the job) and Mark Voisey for their great reports and stories over the years.

Dave ><>

seatime
23-03-2006, 12:14 PM
You're joking, what the hell is going on at News Corpse (i like that one).

They must need to make more room for advertising, it really is turning into a "tabloid". Steve.

fish2eat
23-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I bought it Mondays for the sport wrap up and Friday for the Fishing.....thats down to Monday only now......really sad. Maybe it shows we are not as powerful a consumer group as we might think.

lippa
23-03-2006, 12:34 PM
bugger it, after that I'll buy the australian

searaider
23-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Nugget ,
Thanks for the heads up .
I only use to by the Friday Courier & Sunday Mail for the Fishing Reports .
Now I will only buy the Sunday Mail . >:( >:(

Peter
Searaider 2

finding_time
23-03-2006, 01:23 PM
i can honestly say that i haven't read the fishing reports since joining this site the info here is better and more upto date. Times change i guess, i also used to look at the weather map in the paper but it's the BOM web site now so maybe thats next

Ian

Ps. Thanks Geoff Orr from when i did use it
PPs. Of course i still listen to Nugget on the weekends!!!! ;)

charleville
23-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Who buys newspapers anymore anyway? Apart from the Financial Review, everything else is available free on the Internet. Even Brownies fishing report in the Sunday Mail is available at his website.

I would get far more info about what is biting where etc from Ausfish.

Neverthless, with the passing of an era comes our thanks to those blokes who kept the columns going for many years. :) :) :)

Escapee
23-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Nuggett

Your post is not clear as to whether the smaller reports from you, Bill Corten, Jason Comino, etc, etc about what is biting and where, are also to be axed. I understand from your post that the bigger article about fishing will be axed, but what about these smaller reports. :-[ :'(

Escapee

MIKOS
23-03-2006, 01:52 PM
Nugget,

That sux bigtime mate. >:(

Im with searaider on this and only buy the one paper now. ;)

Mike

Nugget
23-03-2006, 02:08 PM
Hold everything - a deluge of emails and complaints may see a major about face by management.
I'll get back to you all with the outcome tonight.

Dave ><>

lippa
23-03-2006, 02:15 PM
here's hoping

MIKOS
23-03-2006, 02:21 PM
8-) 8-)

bo_sawyer
23-03-2006, 02:28 PM
can us ausfishers send emails also?

fish2eat
23-03-2006, 03:55 PM
OK Nugget, just give us the contact details and we'll deluge away!!!

Nugget
23-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Ok - here's the latest from the horse's mouth... and I quote:

"...the deluge of protest is on all ready. There has been a dramatic turnaround by management. The Friday column is now not being axed but will continue, albeit with some changes"

I am told there were strong protests from the rec fish industry (inc Sunfish, Suntag and DPI&F), advertisers as well as emails and calls.
It looks like people power made a difference.

Dave ><>

insideout
23-03-2006, 05:06 PM
Can we still deluge ????

The_Walrus
23-03-2006, 06:07 PM
All newspapers are a waste of resources.

Luc

StevenM
23-03-2006, 06:13 PM
If it need suport and any emails sent let us know Dave

lippa
23-03-2006, 07:41 PM
i just had an e-mail back from the editor of the outdoor section. Sandra confirmed that the fishing section will not be discontiued. they are going re-design it bigger and better. lets hope so!!!!!!!!!!!!

gogecko
24-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Now if we can just get nugget to start on the radio a bit earlier.....cmon nugget Im on the boat ramp by 5 am. A 4.30 start would give us the good oil. Any chance?

I also miss the Fri 5.55 tv report cause Im home at 6. A webdownload as backup would be nice, in an ideal world.

Luv your work mate.

wayneoro
24-03-2006, 07:54 PM
how often have you read a fishing report and known it was a load of crap they are written to attract customers to shops charter boats resorts worst area for this is the gold coast . twice ive being only boat in a area caught diddly squat then read next mornings paper how good the fishing was . since getting on to ausfish reading real reports from real fisherman catching real fish cheers

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-03-2006, 08:17 PM
how often have you read a fishing report and known it was a load of crap they are written to attract customers to shops charter boats resorts worst area for this is the gold coast . twice ive being only boat in a area caught diddly squat then read next mornings paper how good the fishing was . since getting on to ausfish reading real reports from real fisherman catching real fish # cheers

i have never known dave's or jason's reports to fall into that category

if the courier mail axes its fishing reports it would be in keeping with the new managements push toward taking the Courier away from being a family paper ...

I am considering better value ways of spending my $1 / day - they won't need to push too hard. A Current Affair & Today Tonight have already disappeared from our TV for similar reasons.

Such a shame ... the belief that integrity & family values like fishing won't sell.

chris

seatime
24-03-2006, 08:58 PM
They always find room for a sixteen page racing form guide. I hope they expand the boating and fishing section. There should be more pics too, a lot of people loose interest if they have to read to much. They need to appeal to a larger audience to increase sales.

Nugget, u might need a sidekick in a bikini, or give a few race tips to attract a wider audience. :) :)

bo_sawyer
27-03-2006, 02:21 PM
twice ive being only boat in a area caught diddly squat then read next mornings paper how good the fishing was . since getting on to ausfish reading real reports from real fisherman catching real fish # cheers

haha! same thing here... fished a bridge every morning and night for a week and apparently someone was around me catching plenty of tailor and trevally. We caught only 1 trevally and NO ONE was there to see it so i don't know how they got that 1. #;D

not saying all reports are like this but...

marzoe
27-03-2006, 05:28 PM
A reply to Charleville about buying newspapers! You have to buy em mate to keep people like me employed so I can afford to go fishing. And to look at the photos. Hope the Courier management is persuaded to keep the column. Cheers Tim Marsden, photographer Gladstone Observer

keen_as_mustard
27-03-2006, 09:03 PM
You may be right in saying some fishing reports are written to generate tackle sales, but as far as I know Nugget doesn't own a tackle shop! I take his Friday report as gospel - I only wish it was more comprehensive. Let's hope they not only keep it - but expand it.

Touchy - R.I.P.
28-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Bugger,Had the soapbox half out from under the bed >:(, Good the hear of the turn around Nugget. Cheers Touchy.><>

MulletMan
28-03-2006, 09:11 AM
[quote .............Today Tonight have already disappeared from our TV for similar reasons.[/quote]

What? The only reason I watch Today Tonight is to salivate (dribble) over the glorious unattached Naomi Watson!!!
And you want something else from her? Sigh!

bo_sawyer
28-03-2006, 01:56 PM
lol pink panther!!

and that fake/wrong report wasnt nuggets.

Lucky_Phill
29-03-2006, 09:08 PM
Geoff Orr's articles have always been newsworthy and informative. Geoff has a great knowledge of recreational fishing , particulary in Sth East Qld.

His son Andrew is also a very handy fisho and is swiftly gaining acknowledgement for his efforts.

The other contributors to the " Fishing Section " are not only honest in their reporting, but certainly experienced in their field.

I have noted over the past few years, that the reports are tending to be more of the " what should be biting this weekend ", rather than " what was biting during the week ". In particular, Dave's round up of the Logan and surrounds.

To Luc, mate, there is nothing better than sitting around at work on a Friday,( at lunch time of course ! ) with Courier Mail in hand, debating the fishability of the coming weekend. Having ya mates interpret the BOM Chart, the Wind & Waves Chart, the reports, and Coastal Forecasts to their own end, and then deciding what to do. I might remind you that not everyone has access to the net. But, certainly, the net provides another resource to glean information from.

Yes, Dave people power can make a difference.

Cheers Phill

Nugget
30-03-2006, 09:38 AM
Giving a fishing report does open you up to a lot of criticism.
I'm on the water at least three days a week and hanging around boat ramps most weekends so I can have a fair idea of what's biting.
I don't know anyone that spends as much time as I do on the water or talking to anglers - definitely not in the media anyway.
I don't and have never had any commercial interest in promoting an area, shop or reporting something fictitious - I just say it as I find it.

I try to rely on my own findings first, followed by good mates I trust and believe.
I mix this with what people I meet say they have caught and last of all bait shop reports.
I almost never read any other reports - I just tell it as I find it.

These days I try to put a lot more - 'what you're best option is' that way I'm relying on my own knowledge rather than some possibly dubious report.

The scary thing is, if I wasn't doing this I'd have to get a job!

Dave ><>

Lone_Wolf
30-03-2006, 09:56 AM
i have never known dave's or jason's reports to fall into that category

if the courier mail axes its fishing reports it would be in keeping with the new managements push toward taking the Courier away from being a family paper ...

I am considering better value ways of spending my $1 / day - they won't need to push too hard. A Current Affair & Today Tonight have already disappeared from our TV for similar reasons.

Such a shame ... the belief that integrity & family values like fishing won't sell.

chris

"Fishing doesn't sell", something is amiss here. Fishing is Australia's No 1 recreation sport. You would think the papers would work with that popularity for their financial gain!

straightshooter
30-03-2006, 02:43 PM
Its all about censorship these days its time all fishers united and used 1 voice, teh media and certain groups are doing us no good at the moment, good topic.