PDA

View Full Version : Newbys catch 2 foot eel...help?!?

spinkways
02-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Hello

Us newbys in Moloolaba have just cault another muddie plus a 2 foot eel, fat thing!!

Is it legal to keep the eel. Also, do we eat it or keep to use for bait. If we keep for bait, bait for what type of fishing?

All help welcome.

The Spinkways ;D

wayne_cook
02-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Anthing your not sure of treat with care and release.Don't kill & ask Questions later.

If your not regular to eating eel the trouble you would go to skinning etc. it's not worth the effort imo.

Tony_N
02-04-2006, 01:49 PM
Smoked eel is delicious!! Very rich, so you tend not to eat a heap - great with rice

Tony

cuzzamundi
02-04-2006, 02:28 PM
gday spinkways,

eel stew is also an option - though id hang off til you know you aint getting anything else for supper. as for bait - SHARKS!!!! bullies just love em. be sure to leave the head on as that's often the best part for em. also, whack em in your crab pot. be careful when handling em - they can make an absolute mess of your hand or feet with those teeth! enjoy the pure anger!

cuzza

yibbiy
02-04-2006, 10:04 PM
never eatin em.. . . . .but me ol' boss recons they are unreal smoked. . . .

Handliner
02-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Ive caught a few out on the reefs but the bludgers always seem to be so cranky that I always just cut them off even if I lose my tackle. The dirty bludgers can inflict a very nasty wound.

Gerry

major-defect
03-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Ya gotta watch'em they can be nasty critters pike eels being the worst.While night fishing of the jetty at Donnybrook[is it still there]with friends we got 5-6 ft pike eel.While trying to get it off it latched on to the leg of my jeans without actualy getting my leg.What a show!me leaping around on a skinny jetty screaming blue murder with this bloody great thing going bullistic.How I never fell of I don't know.When my so called mates stopped falling round laughing they finaly managed to subdue it and pry it's jaws open,it then chased us alloff the jetty and onto the land where we thought we killed it only to have it go mad again charging about before settling down and calmly headed back into the water.Mad tough crazy things.

agnes_jack
03-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Be cautious!!
Some of the moray type eels are well known for causing ciguatera poisoning.
If you don't know what type it is DO NOT EAT IT!!

Regards, Tony

Hookem_Herby
03-04-2006, 10:36 AM
CRAB BAIT!!! ;)
I'm guessing you caught it in the Mooloolaba canals/backwaters. Probably a pike eel rather than a moray but I agree with Agnes_jack. Either ID the fish properly or use it to catch more of those yummy mud crabs you like so much. lol ;D

Herby

Tony_N
04-04-2006, 06:26 AM
ooops

that was careless of me - i was thinking freshwater eels - sorry

Tony