PDA

View Full Version : Be careful at Nudgee

bidkev
04-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Went out bang on low Sunday. Sat right between the beacons and scraped bottom with prop. Looks like it's silting up.

kev

'First things first -- but not necessarily in that order

revs57
04-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Must be the extra weight of that yew beaut marlin board Kev ;);D ;D ;D

Louis
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
There are places that I fished over as a kid with my canoe which had about 2 metres of water over them at high tide.

Now at high tide some of the sand banks of this area are exposed.

Louis

bidkev
04-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Must be the extra weight of that yew beaut marlin board Kev ;);D ;D ;D

Nah Rhys.........it's that extra weight of me.........all that pickled mullet ;D

kev

'I hate quotations.' -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

revs57
04-04-2006, 12:03 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D

Hutcho
04-04-2006, 12:34 PM
What kind of depth does your prop touch at Kingtin? I was hoping to head out of Nudgee Creek this weekend but with what you've written, may be a little more cautious esp if its at low tide. I hope you weren't travelling too fast.

Cheers,
Hutcho

Sportfish_5
04-04-2006, 12:38 PM
Check the tides too Kev - I think you will find we had some very low lows over the weekend. Saw some rocks at Redcliffe boardwalk exposed that I have never seen before.

Cheers

Greg

2iar
04-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi Kev,

If you hadn't mentioned this, I would have thought I was imagining it.

It definitely seems to be becoming shallower. I came in an hour and a bit after low on Saturday morning right through the channel markers and recorded 0.8m at one point. Same when I went out with Dan a few weeks ago.

The channel's either moved or silting IMO.

On the plus side, there's always plenty of ramp, high or low.

Good luck,
Mike

SeaHunt
04-04-2006, 01:12 PM
Personally I dont think the markers are a very good indication of where the channel is. Go over it when the tide is a bit higher and sound around a bit and you will see what I mean.
I agree its not deep , but deep enough. 8-)

bidkev
04-04-2006, 01:29 PM
What kind of depth does your prop touch at Kingtin? I was hoping to head out of Nudgee Creek this weekend but with what you've written, may be a little more cautious esp if its at low tide. I hope you weren't travelling too fast.

Cheers,
Hutcho

.9m Hutcho doing about 25knotts. Just heard the engine drop a pitch...........looked behind and there was a big cloud of muddy water.

kev

Adult, n.: One old enough to know better

bidkev
04-04-2006, 01:34 PM
Hi Kev,

If you hadn't mentioned this, I would have thought I was imagining it.

It definitely seems to be becoming shallower. I came in an hour and a bit after low on Saturday morning right through the channel markers and recorded 0.8m at one point. Same when I went out with Dan a few weeks ago.

The channel's either moved or silting IMO.

On the plus side, there's always plenty of ramp, high or low.

Good luck,
Mike

Yeah Mike, but had a drama at the ramp too. Pulled onto the pontoon to let the kids off and the deckie backed the trailer down. I was watching the offside wheel to guage the depth for an easy retrieve but on the retrieve she was sittng all skew whiff and wouldn't come on properly. Then I noticed the nearside wheel was a good .5m higher. The ramp has silted up alongside the pontoon making the trailer sit at an angle. Need to hit the middle of the ramp to avoid it.

bidkev
04-04-2006, 01:37 PM
Personally I dont think the markers are a very good indication of where the channel is. Go over it when the tide is a bit higher and sound around a bit and you will see what I mean.
I agree its not deep , but deep enough. 8-)

You're right mate. I grounded completely a couple of trips ago inside the first red beacon which is why I sat in the middle this time out. The spit of sand at the first red has crept well forward of it. I think I may well give the harbour master a ring.

kev

Every instructor assumes you have nothing to do but study for his course.

2iar
04-04-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeah Mike, but had a drama at the ramp too. Pulled onto the pontoon to let the kids off and the deckie backed the trailer down. I was watching the offside wheel to guage the depth for an easy retrieve but on the retrieve she was sittng all skew whiff and wouldn't come on properly. Then I noticed the nearside wheel was a good .5m higher. The ramp has silted up alongside the pontoon making the trailer sit at an angle. Need to hit the middle of the ramp to avoid it.

Never noticed that mate, but I've only ever used the middle. Half a metre is fair amount of sand, so thanks for the tip.

What's this "skew whiff" lark? Don't youse say "squint" in the Republic of Pomgolia? ;) :D

Good luck,
Mike

PinHead
04-04-2006, 04:59 PM
geez Kev..you won't want to hear what idiot me did with my boat.

bidkev
04-04-2006, 06:37 PM
geez Kev..you won't want to hear what idiot me did with my boat.

I do....I do!..Tell me....Tell me ;) ;D

Don't worry mate, I pranged me skeg first trip........slid her off the trailer with the engine partway down :'( Won't drive her off or on again at low!

kev

Excuses are the easiest things to manufacture, and the hardest things to sell.

PinHead
04-04-2006, 07:38 PM
OK Kev...laugh time now:

Idiot 1.
Cruising up the Never Fail channel down the Pin way..decide to stop and have a fish and relax for a while. Move over towards the measured mile leads...drop the pick..settle back and relax. next thing..tap..tap..tap..Oh hell..the boat is touching bottom..bugger. The bloody wind had pushed us around and placed us on the mud. Tried reversing off..no good. For once I was pleased a Rivieria was coming along...would try and give a quick heap of reverse as we rode up on the wash...bugger...that did not work either. I also did not think I could move 4 tonne of boat off the mud by getting out and pushing either. What else could I do...rang the VMR... very helpful and did the job..thanks guys.

Idiot 2.
Went down to Couran Cove on Saturday to collect the son and his new wife from their honeymoon...spent the night down there....leaving early Sunday morning...started the motors..all good. Untied the boat..all good (so I thought)...gently into reverse to idle out of the berth..started moving then nothing..bloody idiot me left a rope on the starbard bow...I ALWAYS tie up with 4 ropes..I only undid 3..back to Grade 1 for counting classes for me.

bidkev
04-04-2006, 08:49 PM
<snip>

I ALWAYS tie up with 4 ropes..I only undid 3..back to Grade 1 for counting classes for me.

Hey mate, not too bad.........coulda been worse and you drag the jetty halfway round the pin......at least you disn't get those white deck shoes muddy ;) ;D

kev

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. ;) ;D

Fishin_Dan
04-04-2006, 10:58 PM
The sand bank has been moving a little lately... Especially with all the rain we've been getting. You can see the difference at low tide.

rick_k
04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Hutcho, Nudgee Creek off Cabbage Tree Creek is probably not what they are talking about, probably Schultz's Canal at Nudgee.

Then again, if you are launching anything bigger than a canoe, you are probably talking about the same place.

Running aground at the mouth of Nudgee creek produces a puff of rock, not sand. ;D

drevil
05-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Speaking of Nudgee Sunday morning, did anyone see (or was part of) a string of boats sitting off Nudgee beach? From the shore it looked like there must have been 20-30 boats all crammed in a line with more heading that way. A friend of mine thought it must have been winter whiting on the chew.

bidkev
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Speaking of Nudgee Sunday morning, did anyone see (or was part of) a string of boats sitting off Nudgee beach? From the shore it looked like there must have been 20-30 boats all crammed in a line with more heading that way. A friend of mine thought it must have been winter whiting on the chew.

The weather was fine otherwise they would all be wearing yellow coats ;) ;D

Fishin_Dan
05-04-2006, 02:33 PM
SSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!! :-X

Don't give away the secret!

robersl
05-04-2006, 02:39 PM
only thirty odd boats hey must say its a bit slow them normally in excess of a hundred boats there this time of year