PDA

View Full Version : Woolworths sells local seafood

gogecko
03-04-2006, 10:02 AM
After all the posts here about supermarkets and imported seafood, I was suprised to see a change of heart. Woolies at Oxenford now has local green bannana prawns, local barramundi (ok so local must be anywhere in Qld) qld sand crabs, and local magrove jack! (big fillets, so from the reef, not local rivers). I will tell you how they tasted after tonites dinner. Hardly any imported seafood to be seen.

BiLo still has vietnamese catfish, imported prawns, and imported barramundi. Where would they get barra from if its not aussie, I ask myself? Id like to see a dna test on that fish. NSW inspectors have stated they will move towards dna testing of fillets over the next 1-2 years. Cant wait for qld to follow.

Poetic license of the word 'local', but is it a change of heart by woolies?

Andrew

2iar
03-04-2006, 12:16 PM
"Local Barramundi" may mean it's from a fish farm - I'm sure there's at least one Barramundi farm on the Gold Coast.

Good work by Woolies at Oxenford - hopefully the rest will follow suit.

Good luck,
Mike

toymod
03-04-2006, 12:22 PM
barra is not only found in oz

MulletMan
03-04-2006, 01:40 PM
Yeh, Woollies at Cleveland have also upped their game and stock, whiting, flattie, bream, mullet and heaps of local seafood as well as the crap from overseas - people power eh?

shaman
03-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Imported Barra probably Nile Perch, apparently similar or same species.

choppa
03-04-2006, 05:43 PM
i wish some of these seafood deli managers would pass on their knowledge to b/island,,,,,,

i must say in defeat though they are now """showing"""" australian coastal tiger prawns and australian tiger prawn as separate choices,,,,,but the rest of the platter is still cat food

our manager simon shakes when i walk up to the counter,,,,,,,,don't know why,,,,mrs reckons its because of my attitude,,,,,,but i haven't got one of them,,,,,,,,,have i??????? ;) ;)

chop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

lippa
03-04-2006, 07:00 PM
gotta go easy on them managers just outa nappies chop!!!!!!!!!

Dignity
03-04-2006, 07:03 PM
They import barra from Thailand - it's all farmed

Sam

choppa
03-04-2006, 08:20 PM
yeh ya right lippa,,,,,,i still cant believe (as i placed in one of my threads ages ago) that SIMON explained to me that the prices on their seafood changes on fridays cause thats the day their supplier brings in the fresh stuff,,,,,,,,,,,

ohhhhh please,,,,have they changed the gun laws yet???????? :-? :-?

chop

gogecko
04-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Woolies at Ashmore still have imported rubbish, so it must be up to individual managers.

The jack tasted awesome, first time Ive eaten it, yum. happy to pay $28 kg.

charleville
04-04-2006, 06:06 AM
One of the guys who used to work for me used to be an area manager for Woolies in Sydney and told me how they use vinegar to keep the prawns looking bright. #He reckoned that he would never eat Woolies prawns these days because they could be pretty old.

I wonder if that is why my hands always sting whenever I handle cooked prawns.

I really noticed this a couple of weeks ago when I was berleying with some prawn shells and my hands really stung whereas they don't sting when I am using bait prawns.

Darren_R
04-04-2006, 02:34 PM
Preservation of prawns usually involves the use of "META" This stops "black spot from spoiling the appearence of the prawn. Meta is a mixture of sodium sulphite, bisulphite or most commonly used metabisulphite. When Meta is disolved in water it releases sulphor dioxide (so2) which forms sulphurous acid in water. The So2 inhibits the enzyme polphenoloxidase and reduces the oxygen content. Prawns are dipped for 30 seconds in a 1% meta solution. After being dipped they can be kept on ice for 7 days before blackening occurs. Cooking removes up to 50% of the sulphite in raw prawns.
Hope this helps

Dignity
04-04-2006, 09:53 PM
scrotty - is that the stuff they use to wash beer bottles - now there is an enterprise, wash beer bottles, drink previously brewed beer while dipping prawns

sam

tshort
05-04-2006, 06:02 AM
At Maleny theyve got Platapus pie.

gif
05-04-2006, 11:31 AM
The Larger Woollies have some fresh / Aussie seafood

The smaller ones have only frozen products – mostly imported

I questioned the imported Barra once. The guy was great and showed me the box - it was Lates calcarifer ( spelling?) But imported from Taiwan ???

Gary

gif
05-04-2006, 11:32 AM
posted twice in error

Big_unit
05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Hervey Bay has two Woolies and neither of them has anything other than crap, dried out & disgusting looking seafood. Geez those guys dont know how to present seafood and I couldnt bear the thought of eating such poorly presented food. Its obviously good enough for some.

Cheers
James

bigal
06-04-2006, 02:59 AM
speaking as a woolies employe u will notice there is a add on tv about fresh obsesion. thats every fresh dept in the store becoming obsesed with the freshest and best quality products we can get. i can also say most of our stuff in the local stores come up from the sydney markets on a daily basis, and most barra and jacks are farm caught. such is there near identical size.

shaman
07-04-2006, 09:33 PM
[quote author=scrotty link=1144022542/0#11 date=1144125278]Preservation of prawns usually involves the use of "META" This stops "black spot from spoiling the appearence of the prawn.

I used to own a bait&tackle store and was advised to use META when selling defrosted iqf prawns as fresh because everybody does it and I'd be stupid not to but apparently if you inhale this stuff it can cause an instant cardiac arrest :o :o I wonder what it is doing to us if we are ingesting it??? :( :(.
Some other TRICKS of the trade.......use nappy san on frozen squid to bleach the flesh so it looks nice and fresh. Freeze whole fish tail down so that the eyes stay nice and clear when you defrost it. All these tricks have been used for years apparently and are more than likely still being used.