PDA

View Full Version : Dead sea life

Barbs
04-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Over the past month I have seen a lot of small fish, sting rays, and small sharks left on beaches, dumped in bins or thrown onto the near by road to see which car hits it first. Some people may find some of these animals pests such as sharks, rays, toad fish. I agree that some fish such as toad fish are pests but they are all part of an important eco system. So should we deter people from killing these fish if we spot it happening. Is this a growing trend.

bigbrian47
04-04-2006, 04:21 AM
barbs where have you seen this??
cheers brian

Louis
04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Recently I was fishing at Wivenhoe from the bank.

About 50 metres from my position were some other anglers.

They left shortly after I arrived.

When I left, as I walked to my campsite, I noticed that they had left 7 Catfish lying on the bank and these fishes were now well and truly dead.

I understand that many people do not like to eat catfish, but it is a requirement of law and in my opinion, simply an ethical obligation, to return unwanted fish to the water.

Louis

going_phishin
04-04-2006, 04:45 PM
I have seen toadfish left on the bank :'( I thought it was terrible coz everything has a right to live!!! >:(

fnqbunyip
04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
except carp in our river systems.

Kill the carp Kill the carp

Kill the carp

fishingnottake
04-04-2006, 09:32 PM
there's a big difference between an introduced species and a native though,

Burley_Boy
05-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Yeah saw a macho bloke do this on the spit, told my kids I was not impressed and its not the way to do things. Is there any species that you should not return? Even carp, is it legal to just pull them out and dump?

banshee
05-04-2006, 08:28 PM
It is frowned upon and I think illegal to return carp to the water,this may also apply to Redfin in some states.I fish with an old bloke a bit and he hits an equal number of Red Harries and butchers on the head and turfs them,when I queeried him on this practice he simply said he was maintaining a ballance he pointed out that if everyone only took the desirable fish and released the crap fish the reef would eventually be overrun with the crap fish,I see his point even if I don't follow suite.

fishingnottake
05-04-2006, 08:42 PM
it's illegal to return an introduced species.. carp tialpa redfin etc to the water,

NeilD
06-04-2006, 07:54 AM
I have to admit that many a Grinner has left my hands in pretty bad condition :P

Dumping fish just wastes them. Even a dead fish returned to the water feeds something.

Just don't return Talapia as they are mouth brooders and the young can survive quite a while in the parents mouth out of the water

Gbanger
06-04-2006, 04:48 PM
you can even be fined for returning a dead carp to the water... must be killed and binned i think...

i understand about things like sharks and rays, but i really have no remorse for toadies, catties and i agree with horse about grinners...

Barbs
06-04-2006, 09:02 PM
I saw the ray thrown on the road at alberton boat ramp. It was whole and looked like it had been driven over a few times. I also agree that carp and other introduced pests need to be removed from the system. Grinners are a pain but are important to some larger fish and need to remain.
If only I could improve my fishing to reduce the numbers of by-catches and my brother inlaw will save me spending on band aids.

Girella
07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Catfish spines are still dangerous long after the fish has died and rotted away.

The most likely victims being kids.

Please make sure catfish if not released are disposed of safely.

PK

StevenM
08-04-2006, 08:13 AM
It shits me to tears, last week I was down the beach with the little bloke and a group of guys were fishing about 100 meters away.

One bloke gets onto a ray. Spends 10 minutes getting it in then when he does they grab the thing and wander up to the family? mates? and show off their catch. Doubt that they had any intensions of eating it and I never saw them drop it back in the water.

Not long after the same bloke catches a under size bream and same thing happens.

What do you do or what do you say?

hot_spottie
08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I have seen toadfish left on the bank :'( I thought it was terrible coz everything has a right to live!!! >:(
#i agree but some things are pests.eg,carp,canetoads and etc.About 4years ago there was a fish kill in ballina.there was really good bream,flathead etc :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( >:( >:( .at night u could go down to the bank and watch sharks have a frenzy feeding.
#
# #maximus