PDA

View Full Version : Tony's annual whinge!!!!!!

agnes_jack
10-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Easter again,and suprise suprise !! :D

NO REGULATIONS PAMPHLETS available

I say no more :-X :-X :-X

Regards, Tony ::) ::) ::) 8-)

longtail
10-04-2006, 05:20 PM
sorry tony , but i think i must have missed something :-? :-?

jason

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
10-04-2006, 05:39 PM
It is a bit tough for "Joe Public" who might try to do the right thing every day of the year, and especially this time period called 'Easter!'. Pretty tough for a fisho officer to police also when they themselves also know the public aren't fully educated either. Add to that the scientific names and misunderstandings when we talk simple species like cod! Who out there is right in with the scientific names and is able to distinguish between certain species of the same simple common name.
Bag limits which apply to the reef species etc is not that simple to follow considering the above mentioned aspects!
And...of the mackerel species for example, it is very obvious that many anglers still cannot quickly identify, or do wrongly identify certain small mackerel species such as doggie / school mackerel, spotty mackerel, grey, and small spanish mackerel, all of which have different legal size and bag limits!
I think this could be close to your point Tony,,,
possibly!?

Johnny M

theoldlegend
10-04-2006, 06:14 PM
I can recall you going crook about this before Tony. >:( Was it 12 months ago? :-?

I'll bet though, any rec fisher caught with a dodgy fish in his/her possession, won't get any sympathy because they couldn't get any pamphlets.

The same will probably apply to boatings regs as well.

All this full on approach concerning fish and the feds have no idea who's sniffing around in our northern waters. It's an absolute joke!!

TOL

searaider
10-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Geday Tony ( agnes_jack ),
It's bl##dy pathetic . >:(
When Phil first started talking about the next M & G in Oct , I looked up the DPI web site to check out the dates for the Closures for the Coral Reef Finned Fish .
Even though it was 3 months into 2006 they still hadnt updated it & it still had the closures for 2005 .

Peter
Searaider 2

Burley_Boy
10-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Tony rightly felt that it was unfair that he should be the one who had to shoulder the cost of printing info for his customers and inform the public of the new regulations.
I feel the same way with the introduction of new regulations regarding life jackets and bar crossings.
If you change these type of major regulations you would have thought that the dept would be responsible enough to send out an update to all registered vessel owners that have a vessel that applies. Or at the very least post a notice at all public boat ramps. The first couple of fines should be enough to recoup all the costs involved.

Are people expected to just absorb new regulations as they get passed through the air?? Everyone does not read fishing mags or the papers..

agnes_jack
11-04-2006, 06:30 AM
Burley boy
That's another good example!! About 2 weeks ago I was sent a letter, some posters, and an order form for pamphlets, regs brochures etc. The letter asked me to help distribute info and help inform the public of the new life jacket rules.
I sent the order form back asking for 50 each of the new life jackets for kids and life jackets for bar crossings, fact sheets. I also ordered 200 boating and fishing regs books, as well as a few other pamphlets on radio regs etc etc.
I recieved back... No regs books and a form saying they had back-ordered 100,
And NONE of the fact sheets on the new life jacket regs. :-? I did get some of the etc, etc pamphlets.
Once again we have hundreds of people coming here over easter for the holidays, from both queensland and interstate, with no idea about new lifejacket rules, what is a coral reef fin fish, individual bag limits, combinded bag limits, protected species, pectoral finn removal, safety obligations in boats, what safety equipment is required in offshore waters, what safety equipment is required in inshore waters, what is defined as offshore, what is considered smooth waters, capacity labels, etc, etc, etc.

I have had discussions with the powers that be about it many times and am told that there will be no leniency for those that don't know the rules.

Is this a standard revenue raising tactic??? one must wonder........
Or is it that they just don't realise how many people are involved in boating and fishing????
Or is someone out there in beurocracy land not doing ther job... at the expence of Joe Public...?

Johny yeah mate you have the idea ;)

Old Legend
Yeah mate, and twelve months before that!!! ::) ::) ::)

Searaider
Probably hadn't tossed the coin in the air yet mate!! ;D ;D ;D

Geez....... I said a lot considering I say no more!!!!!! 8-)

Regards, Tony 8-)

finga64
11-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Makes it hard for all the decent people trying to do the right thing. :-[

I got caught walking the dog on the beach down Evans once. The sign that was supposed to tell me I couldn't walk the dog had been vandalised. No excuse, I should have known. Got 1 of the councellors to read the sign. He wouldn't tell if he could read it or not.. Dumb-rse. Went to the council office to find out where we could walk the dog. We got a pamphlet but the girl on the counter said to ring the ranger as the pamphlets from the council are wrong. I asked to use the council phone and then told there's a payphone down the road...Stuff them....we tried to do the right thing...if we got caught again we had a council publication to take to court.
There's another sign further up the beach but you have to go past a no dogs allowed sign to read where you can walk your dog sign #:-? And then when you break the rules to read the sign...you would believe what it says...you have to walk the dog below the low water mark..(The word you can't read because of glare is off-leash)
There, my winge too. The Richmond Valley council hates dogs. :(

theoldlegend
11-04-2006, 08:00 AM
If you were prosecuted and went to court to protest that there were no signs or there were no brochures explaining the laws/bylaws, the authorities would always argue that ignorance of the law is no excuse, unfortunately.

It's a very poor excuse, but it's one that they would use.

Tony, is there any way you could embarrass the local DPI mob via a newspaper article or something that you can't get the information you want? On second thoughts, I recall you've tried that before.

TOL

PinHead
11-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Alas...govt bodies do not issue pamphlets every time there is a change in laws....eg...parking in a loading zone or 2 hour zone...you cannot just move the vehicle forward and the time starts again..you must leave the area..this was introducedend of last year yet no one was notified...it was in the paper. Personally, I believe it is the motorist, boat skipper or angler's responsibility to find out the laws pertaining. If I go into NSW fishing, does anyone at the border give me a brochure saying I need a fishing license????? Are we, as adults, responsible for our own actions or are we all victims in this society.

Tony's case is a bit different as they have asked him how many he needs and they have failed to deliver.

INDULGENCE
11-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Hi Tony
There is a Govt Tender that closes on the 27/04/06 for the printing of what you are asking for.
Dont hold your breath waiting for them.
There is also another calling for the replacement of 200 signs along the coastline updating the current ones.
So I guess the wheels are turning.
You can check out the documentation by going onto Aus Tender and using keywords GBRMPA 2005/06-37

Wally
PS: I not with any Govt I look through the Tenders as part of my business

agnes_jack
12-04-2006, 10:14 AM
G'day Pinhead
I think you are right that it is the responsibility of the fisherperson or boatie etc to find out the rules and regs. That is why they come to tackle shops like mine....to do just that! My buisness is actually advertised by the gbrmpa etc, as a "comunity acess point." That is why I am so cheesed that this happens every year. They tell people that shops like mine are where they can "find out for themselves" about new rules regs etc!!

Regards, Tony

dazza
12-04-2006, 10:31 AM
hi tony,
maybe a letter to the local paper explaining that you cannot give info because the department can't provide it might stir the pot a bit.

has col stuck his nose in yet, he said he would say gidday.
beware he dosen't lead you astray. he can be a bad influence.
cheers
dazza

agnes_jack
12-04-2006, 04:27 PM
G,day Dazza!!!
Yeah mate saw Col the other day, may take a run out with him next week if the weather comes good. I think they had one day out so far, and if they were on the ball, they should have got out today!
The weather is a bit "hows ya mother"for the next few though :(

Regards, Tony

The_Bulge
13-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Hey Tony, hows things ? Regarding life jackets, when we were up there last week we saw 3 1770 hire boats with kids in each and not one had a life jacket on. Even 1 child was riding on the bow. I know the adult driving should not let them up there but I believe the hire operater should ensure those kids were fitted out and the adults informed of the regulations prior to leaving the ramp.
P.S My trout was yummy... :)

Regards

Klinky

agnes_jack
13-04-2006, 05:21 PM
G,day brendan
Yeah mate, it would suprise me if the life jackets for the children were even in the boats!!! We see and here about it all the time,I just hope nothing bad happens before they realise the rules!!!
Glad to hear ya got ya trout mate, and yeah they taste great.
Might have to go and get meself one shortly!!

Regards, Tony :P