PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Podcasts

Nugget
11-04-2006, 05:41 PM
After a wake up post on Ausfish by Charleville, I decided to work on getting a fishing podcast up on my website. (What a technical nightmare – podcast producer!)

For those that don’t know what a podcast is – in my application it’s basically a fishing audio file you can listen to. You can go to my website and click on an audio file which will then play on your computer – fishing related stuff that saves you having to read it.
For those that use Ipods and Apple’s Itunes, you can subscribe to my podcasts and every time you plug your Ipod into your computer it will download my latest audio file for you to listen to anywhere, anytime, at your leisure.
I plan my podcasts to include interviews, tips, techniques and new information.
As Itunes and podcasting is an international forum, I've also included a guide to fishing in Australia for visitors.
I could be wrong, but I think this is a first for Australia – fishing podcasts, and listed on Apple’s Itune directory.

I have a few sample podcasts up there as of today – http://www.nuggetfishing.com.au
I will endeavour to upload a weekly fishing report every Friday morning.
This report will tell you what’s been caught last weekend and through the week, what your best options are for the upcoming weekend based on the early weather report and what I know and have heard.
I will also give you a summary of the tides, moon and Solunar peaks and how it will affect the weekend’s fishing.

There’s bound to be a few bugs – please tell me and be patient.

Cheers Dave ><>

Technically speaking:
If you do a search, I am listed on Itunes under podcasts, my category is sport, podcast name - Nugget Fishing.
Itunes users, subscribe here: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=144368831&s=143460&i=4252547
If you don't use Itunes I'd suggest you associate .mp3 audio with Windows Media player - it handles streaming audio better.
If anyone is an Ipod expert, familiar with RSS feeds, proficient in xml – please contact me.

WHITTO
11-04-2006, 06:58 PM
:D :DSo Far so good Nugget, works like a Champion , Cheers Whitto ;) ;)

Horrie
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
Works like a bought one Nugget. ;)
Keep 'em coming.

Horrie

mono
11-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Dave, what the hell are you on about! Us country foke aint heard of these pod things be4? We all just gettin use ta this computor thingy.
Cheers

land_based
12-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Works all fine nugget ill be following them closely. Theres no chance in the future that you will be podcasting your whole show>?

Nugget
12-04-2006, 02:58 AM
No, not the whole Show.
Maybe some interviews and segments though.

Cheers
Dave ><>

CHRIS_aka_GWH
12-04-2006, 06:50 AM
Dave, what the hell are you on about! Us country foke aint heard of these pod things be4? We all just gettin use ta this computor thingy.
Cheers

Mark,

a pod is err ... a group of dolphins .....

not #sure why you'd cast at a group of dolphins but ..... :-?

he tells us all the time he knows what he's doing #;)

chris

25_ponies
12-04-2006, 07:41 AM
After a wake up post on Ausfish by Charleville, I decided to work on getting a fishing podcast up on my website. (What a technical nightmare – podcast producer!)

Nugget mate, you're a legend. Around 2 weeks since this was first mentioned (if my memory serves), and you've got it happening. I'm sure many others in your position faced with the same situation would have given it up as too hard, or never even tried since they are "old media", but you rose to the challenge and delivered.

You're a credit to Ausfish, 4BC, CH10 and any others who get you on board with this new initiative.

Cheers,

Ponies.

fish2eat
12-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Great Dave, works fine for me.....

Tip is to keep them under about 1.5 megabytes for those of us with dialup connections. Anything under that is fine

Cheers
Stuart

gogecko
12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Works really well nugget. great to see.
Ive subscribed.

Andrew

Bream_Reaper01
12-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Top stuff,streams straight to windows media player,love it can't wait for the 1st report.Well done Nugget.

Gutsy
12-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Great work Nugget. Keen to listen to more.

Cheers.

Marcel.

Nugget
12-04-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks fellas - It was a steep learning curve and a lot more work than I expected - but it's done now so I celebrated and went to the Barwon Banks today!

First podcast report - Fri morning.

Dave ><>

mattooty
12-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Thats awesome nugget... but one thing....
wheres teh report from the banks? :D
Cheers

Hookem_Herby
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Try looking in the Fishing Reports - Offshore Matty! :P ::) ;)

http://www.ausfish.com.au/cgi-ausfish/yabb2/YaBB.cgi?num=1144830612

Good onya Nugget. Nice work [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers,
Herby

kiljora
13-04-2006, 06:25 AM
Good on ya Nugget!!!!!

Will keep a look out on Friday for the first Podcast on your website....

Cheers Tony_P

wow
13-04-2006, 07:12 AM
You are a gifted and talented man Nugget! Utilising the technology available to promote and advance the provision of fishing information can only enhance our knowledge of fishing and all associated activities that make it such a wonderful sport at whatever level recreational or competivtive each individual chooses to idulge.

Well Done :o :o

WoW

ShaneJ
13-04-2006, 12:23 PM
I dont have itunes installed an i'm not willing to install it. Is it possible to have the direct link to the feed posted?

Nugget, what do you need to know about RSS feeds?

kiljora
14-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Went to your website today Nugget and listened to the first Podcast..Worked a treat. Looking forward to many more in the future..

Cheers Tony_P

Nugget
14-04-2006, 04:20 PM
I dont have itunes installed an i'm not willing to install it. Is it possible to have the direct link to the feed posted?

Nugget, what do you need to know about RSS feeds?

Thanks for the positive coments - appreciate it.

You don't need to install Itunes - but syndication works for those that do.
If you use some other form of reader, the RSS feed link is on my site - just right click the RSS logo and save the shortcut and paste it in your reeder.
For those that do not - nor understand either - The audio file plays like any other from the website - just click on the text that says 'weekly fishing report'.

If anyone can recomend PHP software to automate the RSS feed - let me know.
At the moment I am editing the xml file in a word document every time I update the audio file.

Cheers
Dave ><>

Nugget
14-04-2006, 06:12 PM
I’ve had a lot of questions about podcasting and what a podcast is.

Here’s a simplistic explanation.

Most people are aware that you can listen to audio and look at video files on the Internet. You just click on the link and they play.
These days it’s also possible to subscribe to that audio or video file so every time it is changed (up dated) you are notified.
The process is called RSS (Real Simple Syndication)
There are several ways you can subscribe through RSS.
If you have an Ipod or similar digital player (that’s one of those digital storage devices with ear plugs you see the kids walking around with all the time) – you can set it up so every time you connect it to your computer – it goes and looks for changes to the ones you are subscribed to and automatically downloads them.
You can then listen to or watch the files on the train on the way to work etc.
You can also get software that runs on your computer to do the same thing – check often to see if the ones you’re subscribed to have changed, if they have then they let you know. A simple way of keeping up to date with changes without having to go and check web sites all the time.
These regularly updated audio files are called podcasts.
Podcasts now include a million different topics and subjects from daily sermons to financial advice.
You subscribe to as many as you like from anywhere in the world and just open your reader or plug in your Ipod to update them and then you can listen to them anywhere, any time.
Itunes is really just a directory of, amongst other things, podcasts - an easy way to search and find podcasts on the topics that interest you.
RSS also works with news – you subscribe to several newspapers and always have the latest news in your reader or Ipod without having to go look at all the different web sites all the time.

Most podcasts, mine included, just play on your computer – like listening to a song.
If all this cyber technology is too much for you, don’t be concerned.
Forget it all and just click on the audio file link and it will play.

Dave ><>

ShaneJ
14-04-2006, 08:41 PM
If you use some other form of reader, the RSS feed link is on my site - just right click the RSS logo and save the shortcut and paste it in your reeder.

I had a quick look on your site the other day and I couldn't see the RSS feed link :-[ Got it now thanks :)