PDA

View Full Version : Need a name...

Fishin_Dan
18-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Caught this this morning at one of the local Islands to Brisbane. Got him on a prawn in about 9m of water. Pulled well for his size ;)

I am pretty sure he's a trevally, but not sure what type... Had a quick look around, but didn't find him. Can anyone tell me what it is.

Fishin_Dan
18-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Never mind... He's a Diamond Trevally :D (Just found it online)

Canoedle
18-03-2006, 10:40 PM
freaky fish Dan, sounds like you had a bit of fun today, even if you didnt get a feed. ;)

Fishin_Dan
18-03-2006, 11:02 PM
I didn't know what it was when I first saw it... Certainly interesting fish though

catchy_fishy
19-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Never mind... He's a Diamond Trevally :D #(Just found it online)

Fishing Dan

There are two types of fish in my books that are similar in this case. But one sounds more like your pic than the other

a) Threadfin miror fish / Pennant Trevally (No reference in my books to diamond trevally) (Juvenile, adolescent) Alectis Cilliaris sci

"In specimens up to 40cm a no of soft rays on both dorsal and anal fins are extremely elongate and often more than twice the body length. These rays become shorter with age.

Distribution (East and North east coast AUS)

Food Crabs, Mole Crabs (Sea Lice)

World Angling record 20.1 kg
SA Angling record 9.2kg

b) Threadfin Trevally (Juvenile, adolescent) Alectis Indicus sci In SA known as an Indian Mirror fish

Key difference in juveniles is 6 faint stripes (bars); 2 dorsals - first with spine + 18-20 rays; anal fin two detached spines, further spine + 18-2- rays.

Almost vertical head profile, and similar at the tail bottom for juveniles

At 2.5kg these are like trailing plumes (similar to your pic) but disappear by 10kg

Distribution Thickly to north of AUS - heading North west; and India where it was fiirst identified
, name "mirror" suggestive of its flashy / shiny appearance - like yours

Food: Juvenile fish, small squid, molecrabs(sea lice)

World record unknown

SA record 9.2kg
Spearfishing record 21.4kg

Sorry no pics

My feeling is you have caught and Indian Mirror fish or threadfin trevally

catchy_fishy
19-03-2006, 05:50 AM
looked again at your pic after posting - definately the threadfin trevally, check the jaw line, and elongate head profile.

That fish is on my wanted list, but I usually only fish with deceiver patterns for "pelagics" on fly, stripping fast.

Even if there was a threadfin around I would miss it.

Nice fish for the species count, well done

Mike

Fishin_Dan
19-03-2006, 09:50 AM
Gday Mike. The threadfin does sound a little bit like it... I don't know much about them though. They are also apparently known here as Indian Threadfish, so sounds like what you call them.

I just got my info about it here:-

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/aindica.htm

I tell you what though, I'd love to catch a big one of these!

dasher
19-03-2006, 10:22 AM
Guys, all the same fish. Here's a list of common names for Alectis indicus
Diamond fish Australia
Diamond trevally Australia
Diamond trevally USA
Horse mackerel Malaysia
Indian threadfish Djibouti
Indian mirrorfish South Africa
Indian thread-finned trevally UK
Indian threadfin Micronesia
Indian threadfin trevally
Indian threadfish Guam
Indian threadfish Philippines
Indian threadfish Viet Nam
Indian threadfish UK
Indian threadfish USA
Large thread-fin jackfish UK
Mirror fish Australia
Mirrorfish Papua N Guin
Mirrorfish USA
Old maid USA
Plumed trevally Australia
Plumed trevally Christmas I.
Talakitok Philippines

::)

Canoedle
19-03-2006, 10:25 AM
Nice Talakitok mate! ;D

Nic
19-03-2006, 04:04 PM
In future if you catch a mystery fish you could try going to www.fishbase.org. You will need to have a vague idea of what family the fish comes from (e.g. cod, trevally, wrasse) for the database to be of any use to you though. It's helped me identify some very weird fish that I've caught. :)

insideout
19-03-2006, 05:35 PM
In future if you catch a mystery fish you could try going to www.fishbase.org. You will need to have a vague idea of what family the fish comes from (e.g. cod, trevally, wrasse) for the database to be of any use to you though. It's helped me identify some very weird fish that I've caught. #:)

Excellent website lead nic , but on other hand after looking at it makes me realise how much more fishing i need to do to around the world to fill my species brag book...... ;D ;D ;D

StevenM
19-03-2006, 06:41 PM
I will call it a Diamond Trevelly Dan

Darryl
19-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Definately what i have been calling a Diamond Trevally. Caught quite a few of them in the deep hole out from the Northern Wall on Wave Break Island...

catchy_fishy
20-03-2006, 07:30 AM
Guys, all the same fish. Here's a list of common names for Alectis indicus
Diamond fish #Australia
..................................Talakitok #Philippines

::)

Dasher

where did you come across that info. I've been looking for a reference like that for a while. Nice response though, thanks

dasher
13-04-2006, 08:59 AM
sorry catchy forgot to reply :-/

You'll find it here

http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

When you do a search click on the scientific name not the common name, it gives more info, links and photos. Enjoy.

MulletMan
13-04-2006, 09:36 AM
"....at one of the local Islands to Brisbane....."

Please explain!! ;) ;) ;)

Fishin_Dan
13-04-2006, 10:08 AM
"....at one of the local Islands to Brisbane....."

Please explain!! # ;) ;) ;)

It was caught at one of the islands not far from Brisbane ;)

If you know the band Primus at all, they sang a song that the name started with "My name is.." The rest of the title will give away which one ;D

It came from the shallows on the North West corner

8-)

DaneCross
13-04-2006, 12:33 PM
I didn't know Primus sang a song called "My name is Moreton" ::) ;D

2iar
16-04-2006, 08:27 PM
The boat the photo was taken from recently had a mishap near the same local island [smiley=cry.gif] ;)

Good luck,
Mike