PDA

View Full Version : credit where credit is due

revs57
12-04-2006, 02:42 PM
G'day Guys,

Some of you know I manage a Community Centre in Logan Central called CarewerX. #We are located in a very challenged community and work among #refugees, new settlers and many people in great need. #

Just yesterday I was talking to a young man from Baghdad whose father and two older brothers had been recently machinegunned down by the Saddam regime, simply because his father was an Imam (teacher) at the mosque. #Ali is a fine young man who is seeking to get medical supplies back into Baghdad's main hospital in Iraq...anyway that gives you an idea of the people we support in Logan.

We've been taking some of our new friends fishing to introduce them to a sport they have only heard of. #I have shown them the Ausfish web site, particularly the offshore catch reports and many are getting very excited about fishing.

Recently Kingtin donated some gear which we gratefully recieved...but I thought I'd let you know that the generosity of Ausfish is not just limited to its members.

I want to thank Steve Brown for his very generous donation of tackle to our centre. #I have just returned from picking up a couple of boxes of SP's and other lures, reels, mono, and associated gear from Steve's place. #Mate, we are very grateful for your generous support...our new friends will greatly benefit from your generosity. #Thank you for your support, it is making a difference.

We also discussed the possibility of a community fishing expo type event in Logan to support this growing interest. As Steve said, "Ausfish is about bringing people together around a sport we all love, to develop a greater sence of community among fisho's and introduce our sport to others"...Steve, you're a legend!

Cheers

Rhys

choppa
12-04-2006, 04:29 PM
well done rhys and also steve,,,,,,,,,,,,it just goes to show that with a bit of effort you can really make a difference,,,,,,,,,i can only imagine the awe and excitement some of ya mates must be experiencing for the first time wetting a line,,,,,i dont want to sound as if i'm throwing a plug for the bbq day next month,,,but why don't ya pass the word around and see if ya can make it up to b/isl for a bit of ausfish fun,,,,,,,,,,,choppa

DaneCross
12-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Great work Rhys and well done Steve - Top blokes. Top site [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

revs57
12-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks Dane...the work has challenges but is very rewarding

Appreciate the invite Choppa, its probably a little early to go too wide...we are still in the process of building relationships locally and gaining trust. I was talking to Ali today and he has been villafied by some locals in the unit complex he is living in with his mum...they have called him some pretty horrible and awful names so he is justifiably nervous as are many of our new friends...but I appreciate the thought...perhaps a mid week day trip sometime??? A day will come...As Dr Martin Luther King Jnr said "I have a dream..."

Cheers

rhys

dasher
12-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Gotta hand it to fishos, most would give you the shirt off their back, but not band together to protect fishing. We are a weird mob. ::)

Congratulations Rhys on a wonderful gesture to give your time to these unfortunate people and of course Kingpin and Steve for their generosity.
Let us know what you need Rhys I'm sure there's plenty hoping to help. Well done mate. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

revs57
12-04-2006, 05:34 PM
You're right Dasher,

we are a weird mob...a generous weird mob!!!

cheers

Rhys

bidkev
12-04-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah Rhys, credit where credit's due, it wouldn't have happened without you. :D

Christians working for the betterment of Muslims..........I think we can all learn something from that, and especially from the gratitude of those less fortunate than ourselves.

Good on yer too, Steve and Ausfish. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

kev

When man calls an animal "vicious", he usually means that it will attempt to defend itself when he tries to kill it.

revs57
12-04-2006, 06:06 PM
I'm humbled Kev...thanks mate for sharing in the journey

Cheers

rhys

nigelr
12-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Best of luck Rhys.
I really wonder who votes the likes of Bush into power.
But then I get scared and dismiss it from my mind, to my shame.
"All you need is love"
Cheers.

choppa
12-04-2006, 07:08 PM
i dunno dasher,,,,when you get a band of fisho's in the same crowd,,,,we do get a bit loud,,,,,its more a case that we forget that the average jo blow who spends half his monthly paypacket on gear and raises his hand to protect the sport then goes out and spends half his paypacket on something else and changes direction,,,,,,,,its only mugs like us that sit back and keep fight'n

sorry to hear about your uncle kingtin,,,,must have been awful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,choppa

bidkev
12-04-2006, 07:27 PM
[quote author=choppa link=1144816926/0#9 date=114483289
<snip>

sorry to hear about your uncle kingtin,,,,must have been awful,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,choppa[/quote]

Sorry choppa, not with you on that one? Are you mixing me up with someone else?

kev

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

choppa
12-04-2006, 07:54 PM
nah mate i saw were the uncle passed on with asbestosis,,,,,,,and it took 3 or so months to cremate im,,,,,,,,,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,choppa

bidkev
12-04-2006, 08:55 PM
Gotcha! ;D

kev

Just because your doctor has a name for your condition doesn't mean he knows what it is.

revs57
12-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Hey Nigelr,

Been pondering your thought...I think guys like Bush and co are more a product of a system and ideaology rather than a problem in and of themselves...too tough to call in my opinion and I'm not sure if personalising our concerns actually helps us find a response but feeds reaction

I guess our focus at CarewerX is to do our best to make sure our friends find peace and justice here...rather than more pain and heartache regardless of the injustices or calamities that have caused their situations.

And I think its fantastic that a sport like fishing and a motley crew like us ausfishers can make such a difference to those who have come to our country from war torn and desperate situations looking for hope

Cheers

Rhys

P.S and I think that's Platinum!!!! ;)

el_carpo
13-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Just yesterday I was talking to a young man from Baghdad whose father and two older brothers had been recently machinegunned down by the Saddam regime, simply because his father was an Imam (teacher) at the mosque.

Rhys

.....and now Saddam is on trial for that and his many other crimes.

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE EH BOYS???

el_carpo
13-04-2006, 03:42 AM
Never the less, good job on what your charity is doing. Hopefully, things get better for everyone soon. And a good job to those helping you out from this site and elsewhere.

revs57
13-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for your encouragement El Carpo...its only as people work together that change can happen for the good of all.

"evil prospers when good people stay silent" (Starting to sound like Kingtin now ;D ;D ;D)

Cheers

Rhys

el_carpo
14-04-2006, 08:46 AM
...its only as people work together that change can happen for the good of all.

Rhys

Definately revs57! Definately!

Thank God for the people who are trying to get people together and stop the cycle of death that has been going on for ages. One generation teaches the next to hate and kill and it keeps going and going and going. Horrible.

I live in Chicago and went to a public high school in the early 1990's (a very violent time). There were loads of gangs and fights, and serious fights :o were common. I once asked a gang member who sat next to me in a class why his gang (desciples) and the other gang (vice lords) fought so much. He says, "Because they're vice lords," and looked at me like my head was screwed on backwards. I said, "Well, yeah, but what started it all?" His answer----"I don't know, somebody must have killed somebody." :-? You see how stupid it all is? He's out there risking his life and trying to kill other idiots who are out there risking theirs all to sell drugs (which also kill) and make some king rat higher up the food chain another million dollars richer......and he dosen't even know why.

It's the same thing that's going on in the world just on a much more massive scale.

So yeah, you've got your work cut out for you but I am definately glad that there are people like you trying to throw a monkey wrench into the hate machine. Good luck amigo. And don't worry, things will eventually get better. Keep at it.

I think you're on to something with the fishing gear idea too. If the Israelis and Palestinians went fishing together, they'd have peace overnight! It's the great uniting force in the world! You rarely see fishermen fighting. There was that one time when my brother lost my fish with his bad netting skills, but that doesn't count ;).... ;D.

Sorry Mike, but it's true. You can't net man! :P ;D ;D ;D I keep telling you: net head first, not tail first!

P.S. Don't fret about sounding like Kingtin, he's a good guy and is much loved! He does many charitable works and they say he single-handedly keeps Australia's waters free from the vermin fish. ;D Go Verminator! You rock! [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

EC

revs57
14-04-2006, 05:46 PM
Well said el_carpo and too true about Kingtin ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

saphire
16-04-2006, 08:26 PM
Hello Revs,
Were is the community centre that you manage? Im a Logan City resident and would like to know more about your work. Sounds like you are providing a wonderful service. Does your organisation have a web site?
saphire.

revs57
16-04-2006, 09:18 PM
Hi saphire,

we're at shop 5/4 Croydon rd Woodridge...just down from the Railway Station

www.carewerx.com

and we always have the kettle on!

Hope to see you there soon

Cheers

Rhys