PDA

View Full Version : TOYOTA FRASER ISLAND FISHING EXPO

insideout
21-02-2006, 04:35 PM
23 rd toyota fraser island fishing expo, orchid beach may 20th 26th , who is coming?

browndog
21-02-2006, 07:12 PM
Will be there. :) :)

Any_Weather
21-02-2006, 07:26 PM
Mate, we will be there!!!! Cant wait, preparations are nearlly complete. When are you guys heading up? We will be leaving at approx. 2.00am on Wednesday 17.05 to hit Fraser at about 6.00am and hopefully Indian Head on the morning low. Here's hoping for a good run. Will have to meet up with all the Ausfishes maybe before the comp or during it. Look forward to seeing you up there.

Lee

BAIT_MAN
21-02-2006, 07:38 PM
Cant wait. It is one comp that i look forward to ever year. Shame it could be the last.

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
21-02-2006, 08:53 PM
Please forgive me if I sound like a bloody stick in the mud, but I find it to be absolute bastardry if it is true that:
1. If you don't own a Toyota you pay a higher fee, and
2. If you don't own a Toyota you can't win the Toyota.

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this. But if it is true I think the way Toyota have it set up stinks.

Just my opinion.

Cheers
Dave

chemmy
21-02-2006, 09:05 PM
reel nauti i total agree with you

adriancorrea
21-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Lucky Phill, you bought that Toyota yet or you boycoting it again this year.
Sorry Phil just had too LOL ;D ;D ;)

Tight Lines
Adrian

BAIT_MAN
21-02-2006, 09:17 PM
Please forgive me if I sound like a bloody stick in the mud, but I find it to be absolute bastardry if it is true that:

Please correct me if I'm wrong with this. But if it is true I think the way Toyota have it set up stinks.

Just my opinion.

Cheers
Dave

Dave Toyota has a toyota loyalty subsidy for those who own a toyota and it is $165.00 if you dont the entry fee to the comp is $190.00. If i remember right it came in for last years comp. As for the other question i have not heard of that one and would hope that they dont even think of it.

Derek_Bullock
21-02-2006, 09:39 PM

Just my opinion.

Cheers
Dave

Nothing in the rules about

Read them at http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/content/static/12825.pdf

Derek

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
21-02-2006, 10:10 PM
So the entry fee to a Fishing Comp depends on what vehicle you have??????????
I'm glad that all sponsors of other comps don't follow this idiotic example.............. or maybe some do that I'm not aware of. Incidentally, we own a Toyota 4wd, but my objection is on principle.

Cheers
Dave

Any_Weather
22-02-2006, 12:00 AM
For all you guys who dont agree with the principle of the entry fee, this is a first class competition and an experience that I personnally believe all fisherman would thoroughly enjoy. For the sake of $25 if you dont drive a Toyota, you would have a week of entertainment and fishing you will long remember. Do yourselves a favour and experience the atmosphere and fun before it is too late and the opportunity eludes you. I am sure there are alot of people on this site who swallow their pride in regards to the $25 and have a fantastic time and attend year after year. I am sure they will back me in saying what an excellent job Toyota and all the other sponsers do to put on such an event. Lets hope this is not the last year it is on. BRING ON MAY 20th.

Lee

BAIT_MAN
22-02-2006, 07:00 AM
Well said Lee

DR
22-02-2006, 07:32 AM
maybe someone will dig up the thread on this topic from last year. it willsave 20 pages of rubbish from those that don't understand the fact that toyota pays the extra $25 for toyota owners..the same way a lot of you get a trade discount when you buy tools, materials etc from suppliers, or when you use your discount vouchers from the Woolies grocery bill to buy your petrol @ 4c a litre less than those that shop elsewhere etc. etc. etc.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-X

Lazybugger
22-02-2006, 07:53 AM
I have to agree with Lee. The most important thing about the Fraser Comp is spending a week with your mates in one of the best spots on earth. Add to that the fact that there are only 1500 competitors in a raffle for 2 cars and a boat and you have some pretty good odds on winning a decent prize compared to say lotto. Also worth mentioning is the huge number of esky's and other prizes given away as part of the nighlty random prizes and the gear given away each day for the daily fishing prizes.

$190 plus the cost of the camping, rum, fuel and more rum all adds up. Last year I gave the comp a miss so I could take my family up to fraser for the first time, but I am really looking forward to getting into it again this year. And of course now that the wife has been to Fraser she understands why its so important that I MUST attend :) This will be my fifth comp and for some of the guys I go with they have only missed a couple.

Also I am no gun fisherman but the comp is also a great place to learn from your fellow fisherman. Most guys are happy to share how they got there fish and a general vicinity, at least for the beach guys).

I drive a Nissan Navara, my mates drive toyotas and if I am a butt of a few jokes then thats all part of the fun for everyone involved. I am prepared to pay the extra dosh because I know that there is no comp without toyota, you just couldn't run a comp without that amount of money and effort and keep the EPA happy. If they want to subsidise there customers on top of what they already put into the comp then that is there right.

If you have never been it is something that is really worth considering.

Cheers

Scott

Lone_Wolf
22-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Last time I went, it was held at Waddy Point. Is it still there?

For the record, it's the best holiday and fishing money can buy. Why would anyone quibble over an entry fee? Drink one less carton!!! ;D

roz
22-02-2006, 04:15 PM
maybe someone will dig up the thread on this topic from last year. it willsave 20 pages of rubbish from those that don't understand the fact that toyota pays the extra $25 for toyota owners..the same way a lot of you get a trade discount when you buy tools, materials etc from suppliers, or when you use your discount vouchers from the Woolies grocery bill to buy your petrol @ 4c a litre less than those that shop elsewhere etc. etc. etc.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :-X [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Not to mention.

If you don't like it, don't go. [smiley=bigcry.gif]<<<Landy driver

Tight lines

Roz

SURF_SNIPER
22-02-2006, 04:27 PM
hopefully will be there ( with the TOYOTA RECOVERY VEICHLE :o sticker blazing on the back door of the landie ) if not will be attennding our club comp only because of work comitments >:( :(

( least they will still see the sticker when the pass me on the way up the beach the weekend before ;D )

love it when there boged chassis deep on a track and the old landie chugs past them with the sticker blaring on the back..... they must hate me ;D ;D

Lone_Wolf
22-02-2006, 04:38 PM
hopefully will be there ( with the TOYOTA RECOVERY VEICHLE sticker blazing on the back door of the landie ) if not will be attennding our club comp only because of work comitments

( least they will still see the sticker when the pass me on the way up the beach the weekend before )

love it when there boged chassis deep on a track and the old landie chugs past them with the sticker blaring on the back..... they must hate me

SS, I agree. I went with a guy one year in a Landy with it's original 4 cylinder motor, towing a 5.6m aluminium boat, absolutely loaded. Got tired of taking the boat off to snatch stranded Toyota owners out of the powder.

SURF_SNIPER
22-02-2006, 04:43 PM
thats what i like to hear ;D ;D :D

insideout
22-02-2006, 05:21 PM
ill be there with my video camera ,tapeing all the stuff ups as the week goes by............ just look for the bloke with the black eye!!

Nugget
22-02-2006, 06:48 PM
I'll be there - and loving it.
Whilst Toyota are keen to continue - 2005 was the end of their lease of grounds for the event.
They received a 1 year extension that allowed the comp to go ahead this year, but the future is bleak.
This could very well be the last unless a new lease is negotiated - and there is a lot of oppostion against extension of the lease.
We should arrange a Ausfish BBQ, meet or at least a spot in the main arena where the Ausfishers catch up.

Dave ><>

Photo - Fish FM's very own 'Charlie Horsie Feathers' with a Miss Bird of Paradise contenstant.

insideout
22-02-2006, 07:09 PM
some people have all the fun....... ;)

Lucky_Phill
22-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Bloody hell Adrian, I knew someone would remember the serve I gave the sponsors over this last year. I also made a promise to do something if the Sponsors continued with their discrimination this year, and I will live up to that promise.

I won't go too far into but I will say that the comp IS the best run comp in OZ.

Hey Dave, I can still remember the look on Budda Handy's face when the Miss Bird of Paradise ( 2003 ) showed him her tattoo ! Poor man nearly had a heart attack ! Amazing what a piece of string and a few pipi shells can make ! ::)

Good luck to all who attend

Cheers Phill ( Toyota Recovery Vehicle Owner )

" go the Nissans "

Reefmaster
22-02-2006, 09:47 PM
Have been offered an all expenses paid trip for the week to take a few guys out in there boat and hopefully find them some fish. I reckon i might take up there offer. :D Although they sounded a little worried when i told them where i wish to go fish. :D So yes it looks like i will be there watching all you non Toyota owners pay more for your entry :P and also getting pulled out of a bog by a Toyota ;) ;D :P

Greg

jackash
23-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Hahah here we go again. Hahah I'm a nissan owner, andI'm not going to get into an argument either way coz then someone will destroy me. Still wish i could be there.... even in a nissan!
Cheers

JACKASH

Nugget
23-02-2006, 09:14 AM
And just to wet your appetites...
A 2005 red emperor.

James_Rand
23-02-2006, 01:11 PM
Picture this, #late 1980's

Up that way at Rainbow Beach. #The army were doing manuvours on the beach involving Landrover 4wd's etc.

Then we rock up, in a 1977 FJ40 landcruiser with 351 Cleveland power. #We are churning up the beach giving the army boys s..it doing donuts etc with plenty of verbal abuse and instructive hand gestures :)

Then we blew the transfer case leaving us in rwd only - and got bogged up to the chassis. #Guess who helped us out and towed us off the beach - the army boys and their trusty Landrover. :(

A very embarrassing situation indeed. #Never did that sort of thing again! :)

Love the sticker I saw an old-timers car today: #"I'd rather be an Old Fart then a young D..khead! #- How true! ;)

jr.

hoga
23-02-2006, 05:57 PM
WILLBE THERE 15 TIME THEY ONLY MADE LANDCRUISERS TO KEEP THE DICKHEADS OUT OF PATROLS

SURF_SNIPER
23-02-2006, 06:24 PM
#:o;D ;D

im sure the comp will be really good, if it does go maybe the rainbow comp will take over as it had a large influx of competitors last year which could have been acountable due to the straddie comp closing down.

Derek_Bullock
23-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi

The demise of this great fishing competition will be because of a conservation group called Fraser Island Defender Organisation (FIDO). http://www.fido.org.au/

FIDO, supported by the Greens and conservationists, have been petitionong the Government for years to have the competiiton stopped.

Unfortunately recreational fishers have sat back and let this happen once again because the majority cant see past their next fishing trip.

Do something now and petition the Governemnt to stop these fanatical conservationists.

Is The Fishing Party going to do anything on this ??????

Derek

DaveSue_Fishos_Two
23-02-2006, 10:46 PM
Why is it that every single thing that happens which may affect recreational fisherpersons you feel it necessary to take the stick to everyone for supposedly 'sitting on their bums', Derek. I am sure you can't know what we may or may not do behind the scenes by contacting our local members of parliament etc. So many of your posts reflect your negativity, and perhaps that is why so much of the "News" section receives such little acknowledgement. One only has to look at the posts in that section to confirm this.
Please don't get me wrong on this, I do not wish to sound derogratory to your thoughts and opinions, but I do think that at times you are too quick to judge people and lock everyone into the same category.

I do hope this constructive criticism will be taken in the spirit it is offered.

Cheers
Dave

Any_Weather
24-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Guys, I think this thread is taking a bit of a detour in the wrong direction. I am sure this topic was placed in good spirit to find out who was going to the comp and to help with info for any new comers who requested it. The debate about who is or is not doing what, needs to be a different thread altogether. Bring on 2006 Comp and lets hope 2007 happens as well. This was not placed to upset anyone, only to keep the friendly nature that this comp instills in its competitors.

Thanks
Lee

revs57
24-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Can someone please put info up??? A fact sheet or something, perhaps a web site where I can check it out? I've googled it to find only touristy info, not for potential candidates.

Love to know what's entailed...what arrangements for camping, powered/non powered...how much sites are for the week, other logistical requirements, availability of fuel etc, when registrations are due, how that happens, etc, etc,etc

I'm sure we can muster a crew now the minister for finance has approved the project in principle...just need more info

Thanks

Rhys

DR
24-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Can someone please put info up??? A fact sheet or something, perhaps a web site where I can check it out? I've googled it to find only touristy info, not for potential candidates.

Love to know what's entailed...what arrangements for camping, powered/non powered...how much sites are for the week, other logistical requirements, availability of fuel etc, when registrations are due, how that happens, etc, etc,etc

I'm sure we can muster a crew now the minister for finance has approved the project in principle...just need more info

Thanks

Rhys

hi Revs,
i haven't looked through it,but is this any help..
cheers

http://www.toyota.com.au/TWR/events/Content/0,4329,797_282,00.html

DR
24-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Why is it that every single thing that happens which may affect recreational fisherpersons you feel it necessary to take the stick to everyone for supposedly 'sitting on their bums', Derek. I am sure you can't know what we may or may not do behind the scenes by contacting our local members of parliament etc. So many of your posts reflect your negativity, and perhaps that is why so much of the "News" section receives such little acknowledgement. One only has to look at the posts in that section to confirm this.
Please don't get me wrong on this, I do not wish to sound derogratory to your thoughts and opinions, but I do think that at times you are too quick to judge people and lock everyone into the same category.

I do hope this constructive criticism will be taken in the spirit it is offered.

Cheers
Dave

i just started a long reply to your comment, & then decided i couldnt be bothered.. ::) ;D

revs57
24-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks DR,

just what the Dr ordered (hehehe)

Cheers

Rhys

Any_Weather
24-02-2006, 09:57 AM
Rhys, mate the trip is a logistical nightmare but well worth the effort. You really need to take everything for the week with you. This includes fuel, ice, freezers (if you desire), generator and bait. You can buy fuel up there but it is very expensive and who knows how old, you can get ice but once again VERY expensive. We go up on the Wednesday before the comp starts and we camp up past ocean lake which is about 7km from where the comp site is and about 8km from where the general boat parking area is. All the camps sites closer are already taken by Wednesday. The rangers are very strict when camping in regards to tidyness of camps, especially for the protection of dingoes, so all food must be LOCKED in boxes and no rubbish left around. Generally most of the larger boats require 2 vehicles (yours will) to get through the hard going sand and also to get the amount of fuel and gear up there for the duration. Another thing to take note of is that you are only allowed to keep a maximum of 50lt of fuel at any campsite. I think they must turn a blind eye as there is a lot of BIG boats up there that would nearly need that amount to start. We have a 6.5m plate alloy centre cab and it is probably the average size up there with alot of boats alot bigger. I honestly dont know how they get some of them up there. Launching the boats into the gutter is not generally too bad but depending on the gutter at the time it can be very shallow at low tide. The lifesavers do a great job and place a marker bouy to mark the channel back into the gutter. Mate I wont make this so long that it bores you but if you need any other info just say so. Once again, it is definatly worth the effort.
Lee

revs57
24-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the insight Lee, Check your PM

Thanks again

Rhys

hundgie
24-02-2006, 11:11 AM
You could be real nauti and go up to fraser not pay the entry fee, still go fishing and try to catch the biggest fish, show it off to all the boys and look like an absolute tool. :o

Lazybugger
24-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Rhys,

In regard to fees, its all national park so $4 per person per night. (unless thats gone up). The Manta Ray barge cost me $70 a couple of weeks ago but usually there is a bit of discounting for competitors during that week, costs extra for trailers/boats.

Lee is right about the rangers being right on the button with regard to tidy campsites and Dingo security. You need to have everything locked up when its not in use, even the washing detergent. The rangers actually run a comp on tidiest camp and you can be guaranteed at least one visit during the week to make sure you are compliant with at the least the basic rules.

If you aren't towing up a boat and are just doing the beach section then you need to rig up some sort of live tank attached to your 4wd. Usually a large plastic container with an pump. You'll need this to get your fish live for the Catch, Weigh & Release comp. Remember if you are targetting Flatties to make the tank long enough (70cm) so a flattie can lie straight otherwise they will cirl up permanently if laying bent for a couple of hours. Even if you are going in the boating section, it might not be a bad idea as there are usually a couple of days too windy to get out on the boat.

We usually take 2-3 chescold freezers (on gas) in our camp (normally about 6 guys) and have engles/waeco's in the cars. A generator is sometimes taken, but we only use it once or twice for a few hours to charge up batteries for the lighting or use a linisher to sharpen the knives. To get all of this up there we have 2 offroad trailers.

The most important thing is to consider how much rum, coke & beer you will need. Nothing worse than running out. :P But you do need a designated driver each day as the Police are up there every year doing RBT's

Cheers

Scott

revs57
24-02-2006, 01:32 PM
Thanks for your insight Scott...

Things are smoking along...nearly got a crew...not that I thought that would be a problem...3 4x4's should get us over the nasty bits, and give us enough carrying capacity for freezers, fuel and bevereges...oh yeah, we'll bring some food too...

The boyZ are getting toey....and I think that's a good thing

See you all there

Rhys

insideout
24-02-2006, 06:51 PM
and on the rough days ,champagne pools is worth a look :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

sempre
24-02-2006, 07:52 PM
Sempre will be there as always,

Towed by a nissan , dont care about the subsidy , that 25 dollar subsidy will be blown out the exhaust pipe through Indian Head anyway .

Own a Nissan and always will , but , love the Toyota comp.

BTW Meet and Great at our house before the comp starts.

Reel_Obsession
27-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Went last year with a mate and fished from his boat. Totally awesome week, has to be seen to be believed.
Will be there this year with the new Whittley SeaLegend and a crew of enthusiastic deckies.
Bring on May.

karl_enchelmaier
28-02-2006, 01:13 PM
can't wait till i finish all this studying and get a job so i can get up there and join in the fun and games, sounds like good times and good mates. see you there in a year or two

insideout
18-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Of all you people going over , what type of boats are you taking?

sempre
18-04-2006, 04:23 PM
7.4 Riptide with E'rude 200 on back .

revs57
18-04-2006, 04:29 PM
6mt Riptide with 150efi black anchor

Dignity
18-04-2006, 07:09 PM
First timer here, going with a bunch of mates, all beach fishing. Would have loved to take a boat out. Don't mind paying the difference of $25 but think that calling it a subsidy is what rubs people up the wrong way.

sam