PDA

View Full Version : Boat sinks off Shallow Tempest !

Sandman
18-04-2006, 09:34 AM
It may have been posted but i didnt see it, Who went down at tempest on Friday. Story goes that an old fella woke up in the early hours to his boat sinking with grandson on board, let a flare off . This got the attention of a boater close but they took off >:( A boat by the name of Mojo managed to rescue them.
Can anyone add to that?
Mick

-spiro-
18-04-2006, 10:05 AM
Yeah thats about the whole story from the radio reports on the weekend. The grandfather and grandson are relations to Shane that drives the Witchdoctor. They where ok in the end thankfully. I hope the person that went over to have a look and then left them there floating in the water wasn't from this site. I find it hard to believe that someone could do that >:(

Louis
18-04-2006, 10:12 AM
If it really is the case that a boatie just drove away, realising that they were in peril, then those boaties that did this are the lowest of the low in my opinion.

Louis

finga64
18-04-2006, 10:38 AM
diddo :-[
I just hope it doesn't happen to them.
Probably the type of people that aren't members of the VMR, get into trouble, call the VMR boys for a rescue and then winge about the bill when they get it. :'(

MulletMan
18-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Under the Maritime Act this guy can be legally charged as the responisbility of ANY skipper, amatuer or pro requires he or she provide assistance if and when possible.

Sandman
18-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Its almost to hard to believe that someone would do that, it really is low fortunatly it did not turn out to be fatal , good on the young fella for getting back out there.

bugman
18-04-2006, 04:26 PM
I heard Shane from Witchdoctor charters talking about "his dad" on Saturday. didn't go into great detail.

Got this today.

QUEENSLAND
NOTICE TO MARINERS
256 (Permanent) of 2006
OUTSIDE PILOTAGE AREAS
LOCALITY: OFF CAPE MORETON
ACTIVITY: SUNKEN VESSEL
Mariners are advised that a 5.8m cabin cruiser has sunk in a position approximately latitude
27°04.575'S longitude 153°28.616'E, that is 2.75nm on a bearing of 167°(T) from Cape Moreton
Fl (4) 20s lighthouse.
AUS Charts Affected - 364
Maritime Safety Queensland Charts Affected - Moreton Bay – Manly to Mooloolaba (MB1)
NOTE: Latitude and longitude positions on WGS84 horizontal datum (compatible with GDA94 datum).
For further information about this Notice, please contact:
The Brisbane Regional Harbour Master’s office on 07 3860 3500.
Authorised by: DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER (MARITIME SAFETY QUEENSLAND)
Issued: Brisbane 18 April 2006

TinarooTriumph
18-04-2006, 04:39 PM
The boater that took off should be shot. Why would you take off when there are lives at stake? Pricks.

Main thing is that everyone is alright thankfully. Ive never come across any problems with boats offshore, but ive encountered hundreds on our inland impoundments. We are always happy to helpout on our waterways no matter what the circumstances are. Cos one day your gonna need help on the water, and your gonna know what it feels like been left stranded.

TinarooTriumph 8-)

dorado
18-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Regarding the 'other' boatie, but maybe the guy only saw the flare from a distance, maybe he didn't see it at all, maybe he saw it but upon closer investigations maybe it went out before he could make a visual on the boat in the end? Just seems odd that another vessell in approx the same vicinity would see another boat in distress, flare and all, and not render any assistance. The ocean is one hell of a big place and I know just how easy it can be to not see another craft out there even though you may know for certain that there is. What were the conditions like? Was anybody else out there who witnessed this fellow's alleged actions?

Grand_Marlin
18-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Just remember there are always two sides to a story ... remember the one regarding the jetski and the 4wd mob from Noosa posted on here just recently?

But, in saying that ... it is a terrible experience to lose a boat from underneath you ... and to have a boat ignore your flare i sunforgivable.

I just hope when the other side of the story gets found out, that the boaties in question didnt just drive off. If they did, they should be hung....

Cheers

Pete

Lucky_Phill
19-04-2006, 07:53 PM
I think the term is " walk the plank ", Pete. ;) ;D

And Yes, would be nice to hear both sides.

Cheers Phill

TinarooTriumph
19-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Regarding the 'other' boatie, but maybe the guy only saw the flare from a distance, maybe he didn't see it at all, maybe he saw it but upon closer investigations maybe it went out before he could make a visual on the boat in the end? Just seems odd that another vessell in approx the same vicinity would see another boat in distress, flare and all, and not render any assistance. The ocean is one hell of a big place and I know just how easy it can be to not see another craft out there even though you may know for certain that there is. What were the conditions like? Was anybody else out there who witnessed this fellow's alleged actions?

Maybe our 'mystery boater' was up for abit of theiving? Who knows.
Theres plenty of maybe's to be told, but justice wont be done. Lets hope we find out what really happened and that justice IS done. Sure everything turned out alright in the end, but if the boater did ignore the plea for help, he should be given a heavy belting, both in the head and wallet as far as im concerned. But thats my opinion.

TinarooTriumph

FishOn
19-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Anyone know why the boat went down?

Kind regards
Trevor

Sandman
20-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Trevor 2 , i think the answer is no , but i understand they awoke to the boat sinking whilst at anchor. I am sure we will find out.

gropeher
20-04-2006, 05:17 PM
If the boat was mojo, thats a good mate of mine, I'll get more details from him tonight if hes back from holidays yet and post here later, I thought Leigh was suppose to still be up Harvey bay way though.

Unless it is a different mojo.

Cheers Ryan..