PDA

View Full Version : First fishing effort but booked on an XOS plastic

DICER
15-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Yes it was my first fishing effort this year.

I read all my Dutch licenses (3), in Nederlandse of course, right when I received them earlier this year. 31 pages in total. Easy right, well almost (if you're good at Dutch). And I remember everything. But today was the sunniest, warmest day this year. Beats sleat, hail and sideways snow. Nothing left to do but head out my front door down to the dike, rod in hand, licenses in the backpack. Get some sun while it lasts.

There are two other fishermen on the otherside happy fishing, not catching anything though. Plenty of splashes and fish in the reeds. Water fowl are here and there. A duck too. It's the first real activity of big fish I've seen here that interests me. I have a license for two rods. No problem, I only have two rods. I have a license for this district - no problem I have that too. I'm using two hooks - that's allowed, yes. And I remember what the guy at the tackle shop said as well - I can fish almost everywhere in Holland.

I rig up a put-in-pole. I rig up my bait caster. Can I fish with what I've got - yes, I believe so. No live fish, no dead fish. My bait is bread, there are old carp balls for burley, plastics and one or two hard bodies. I chuck a piece of bread on the put-in-pole and a small plastic on the bait caster. All fish caught are going to be released immediately.

I flick the bait caster around for 5 mins, and then sit down for a coffee. Then I am accompanied by a 12 year old with two rods. He says "Emvangen?" - the same as "catching anything?" He's fishing with worms and instantly gets a bite. I'm jealous. The other two older guys on the other side pack up and leave. Ok, end of the day. It's law to stop fishing when the sun goes down here, but the sun is not down yet.

A couple of minutes later a dutch copper on a motorbike rounds the corner slowly and pulls up next to us. I'm thinking to myself, yes I have all my licenses and I'm not doing anything illegal. Twice before I've been checked for the correct gear. But the boy next to me sh$$ts himself though, and I too now become nervous. Was there something to worry about???? Did I forget something? The boy has gone red in the face. Uh Oh.

The copper insists on talking fast dutch for a while, until he notices that I really am not good. He checks our lines and license. "Wurm niet gemak - twee hengels" he says to the boy. There is some tough talking and the 12yr od boy is crushed and collapsed by the police presence. Apparently it is closed season for worm fishing and the boy is also booked for using two rods, when he should have been using one, because he is under 15. So that's two mistakes for him - he's booked. His licence might be revoked.

He turns to me now. Yes I'm fishing with a plastic and some bread I say. After a lengthy discussion about the plastic, and an explanation of page 4 of the third license, a white tape measure magically comes out of his jacket pocket. "How long is your plastic, your plastic must not be bigger than 2.5cm from the 1st of April to the last saturday in May". The tape measure expands to 7.5 cm. And I'm booked as well.

The moral of the story is I can't wait for my trip back to Brisvegas and Adelaide in August. 125 days to go.

Maybe I can just go down to my local coffee shop for some mushrooms or cake and think about fish in the bay.

Argle
15-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Its a wonder people bother!!! What are the authorities smoking over there...oh thats right..Holland ::) ::) ::) ;D

Keep ya chin up and count the sleeps

Cheers and Beers
Scott

straddie
15-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Heya Dicer

It sounds all too hard for me :-? Me be thnking you will have a lot of frustration to take out on the fish population here when you return.

Maybe to ease the pain a little get yourself a laptop and look through the reports section as you are eating those mushrooms and cake :)

el_carpo
15-04-2006, 01:47 PM
Way too many strange regulations! Who can blame you for forgetting something?

A worm season? :o i Aye caramba ! ;D

I mean, holy s**tfire! I'd probably accidentally break so many rules over there, I'd be locked away in some dungeon for the rest of my life by the time they were through with me! ;D ;D ;D

You need another dose of Australia-----FAST! Save yourself Dicer! You can eat the cake and mushrooms on the plane! Go! Go! Go! ;D

That kid is going to start a Holland chapter of the Fishing Party. ;)

Don't let this incident weigh too heavily on your mind Dicer. I've been "hasseled by the man" before too. I got in trouble for "hiding" behind the clear, glass window of a bus stop once after school. ;D I wanted to scream, "It's a CLEAR, glass window, how am I hiding from you moron?!" Instead, I said, "Yes sir." ;D ;D ;D I got a detention. :'(... ;D

I'll bet many here at Ausfish have had "aggrevating" ;) run-ins with the law at one time or another as well so don't feel too bad. We still love ya man! Even if you are a criminal. ;) ;D

Heck, we can always start our own gang! ;D

EC

el_carpo
15-04-2006, 02:08 PM
;D If things go wrong....

Horrie
15-04-2006, 02:41 PM
"Stelletje klootzakken" :P >:(
A perfect example why we migrated to Oz....I thank my parent (R.I.P) every day.

Horrie (a very proud Aussie)

rajawolf
17-04-2006, 01:50 PM
WOW! they have "PETA" cops over there. ::)

Is the worm a protected animal? #:-/ ;D

blue-mako
20-04-2006, 09:44 PM
wot do u mean is the wrom a protected aniamal??? i think his plastic is more protected then the worm ;D HA! thats pathedic... ive also heard stories about the coppers in europe being uuankers

troy

fishingnottake
20-04-2006, 10:51 PM
i just don;t understand the need for all the regs.. or is it just revenue raising?

DICER
22-04-2006, 08:16 AM
No, they really have a tight (and somewhat impractical) fishing code. When it comes to the coppers they are ant pickers or "mieren nooke". They have the police doing the job of fisheries - and they come in bike form, rubber duck, motorcycle and auto. Although I've only fished here ~20 times, but I've been checked about 4-5 times. All freshwater parts of the Netherlands are strictly controlled, even if you are returning the fish to the water, mainly because of the shear population size (16 million in twice the size of Kangaroo Island). However to fish in the North Sea, beaches and wetlands you only need one license.

I think this copper was actually called there by the other two guys on the opposite bank. Perhaps they saw my 7.5 cm plastic and thought it was the right thing to do. Fair enough though, but this copper didn't even give me a chance. He acutally said to me "don't you read everything before you go out fishing". I did, but as El-Carpo said it's basically pretty hard to interpret 31 pages of Dutch and be right on everything. Aaahhh the paper pushers, they are. Have to love it, NOT.

In German, there is the expression "liebes totter" or love killer. It is quite often used for when your partner wears very unsexy underwear. I think this expression also applies to fishing freshwater in the Netherlands.

At the momment I'm restricted to fishing with bread, cheese, potato, ungerminated seeds, insects under 2.5 cm and no worms or plastics (bigger than 2.5 cm). To get caught with a live bait, it would set me back ~90 euro. I'm not sure about the price on worms.

What I can't understand is if the majority of people are sportfishing, why the overtly strict rules. Unfortunately my knowledge of how the animal activists in Europe contributed to these rules in the past is not clear.

DICER
22-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Blue-mako is that a threadfin taken from the Brisbane river?

chanquetas
22-04-2006, 10:16 AM
You should have told him: Je kunt de pot op!