PDA

View Full Version : fishos a dying breed

insideout
23-04-2006, 03:45 PM
are we delaying the enevitable, from here on in is it going to be a s#$t fight to go fishing , not only where you want ( because of green zones,) but will we be able to afford to fill our boats in the not to distant future,to even get out on the water,with forcasts of 2dollars a litre?? Are the kids of tomorrow going to know the joys of blue water fishing, or is it going the way of being a millionares sport , the likes of a yearly sportsfishing circut. All these things and more went through my mind as i was filling up my boat today ,where in the space of a week the bowser price went up 10 cents a litre. How the hell can a everyday person make the gov fess up to their greed, when all the lobby groups cannot even make a dent in the political armour, and there is more buck passing going on now than ever before? How long must the public take the banana in the tailpipe? i do not usually vent, but just today i feel like i have had a massive reality check with a great lump of 4by2, and feel that either way we go,we fishos are a dying breed, either thay will get us with green zones or petrol prices.

Just my two bobs worth

insideout

Darren_R
23-04-2006, 03:57 PM
Gday, I agree in part with the fuel and all, but I believe the green zones are not a bad idea if you care about the future of fish stocks. I am just completeing applied science in Marine Resources and have since realised how important the greens zones are and will be in the future. Fish stock are getting worse by the year and without further restrictions it wont be worth putting the boat in the near future. I know the grenn zones are a pain in the arse but there is still plenty of places to go and they will make the future of fishing better for us all.

My thaughts

PinHead
23-04-2006, 04:00 PM
the wholesale price of fuel hit $75 a barrel...so that is why it is more expensive...the oil companies are making a fortune...these day I just shut my eyes at the bowser and fill it up...no point in stressing over it...that won't make any difference

onerabbit
23-04-2006, 04:19 PM
Thats it Pinhead,
The tanks have to be full no matter what it costs, just grit your teeth & say "thank you " when you pay !!!!!!
Muzz

Lucky_Phill
23-04-2006, 06:34 PM
Greg, I think we need to buy shares in the Oil companies. Would it still hurt to fill up ? Yep ::)

Diesel hit 132.9 at Agnes today.mmmmmmm Bugga !

Phill

tuppence
23-04-2006, 07:05 PM
why worry be happy i reckond over the years of fishing it costs about
$200 a kilo. ;D ::)

choppa
23-04-2006, 07:24 PM
tuppence i think ya on the mark,, when you sit back and think about WHAT IT ACTUALLY costs to bring a fish home for the nightly meal,, $200/kg is not far fetched,,,

i reckon if we all sat back, and wrote down the price of what we paid for the rod/reel/line/bait etc etc etc, and then compared it with what it would cost to replace them in todays prices,,, and then threw into the pot FUEL,,, omg

(reminder,,,,up the ante on home contents insurance,, just realised what i have got in value ;) ;) ;))

its like buying bread/milk,,,,,we gotta have it,, we all gripe about the price,,, but we still buy it,,

choppa

blaze
23-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I dont think of it as $200 a kilo, more like a longer and happier life due to the stress relief.
Close the eyes and open the wallet to fill the tank, generally around the $200.
As for whats there in the future, well that will depend on how I do my bit for the conservation of fishing.
cheers
blaze

PinHead
23-04-2006, 07:35 PM
boat + mooring fees + rego + insurance...first kilo of fish...200k...but as blaze said..it is worth every last cent of it for the relaxation value...where else can yo ugo and watch idiots on jet skis, idiots in tinnies, idiots in cruisers....just a complete bunch of idiots enjoying the water...wouldn't swap it for anything

Feral
23-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Whats a green zone?

choppa
23-04-2006, 07:47 PM
onya feral,,,, its the bit below the red and amber i think,,, ;D ;D ;D ;D

2DKnBJ
23-04-2006, 09:10 PM
Myself....I don't care to much about the cost of filling the tanks.
As for the cost per kilo.If i worried about that i would have had a stroke long ago and i am only 37.
These days i go out in the boat with the family and if we get a feed it is a bonus.As Blaze said it is stress relief.

Chers Dazza

onerabbit
23-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Agree fully 2DKnB,

the cost of fuel more than covers stress reduction & headspace improvement.
If I needed to go to sea bad enough, I wouldn't care if I came home with no fish !!!!
Even when we come home with a box full, heaps are given away to the neighbours.

Fish are a great by-product of a good days fishing !!!!!

Muzz

el_carpo
24-04-2006, 12:08 AM
I just read that it costs them $5US a barrel from oil field to fuel pump. The $75US a barrel is artificial. The speculators make it $75, not supply and demand. The governments aren't going to do a thing to stop the high prices because they reap huge gains in taxes so we're stuck. What's really fun is that even if you drive or boat less, you're still going to get slammed. The shipping costs are skyrocketing and no one wants to be the guy to take the hit so they pass it along to the consumer.

I wish they would just come out and say it: "We have it, you need it. Pay up!" At least that's more honest. Instead, we get the same old excuses over and over.

Now, back to the fishing aspect...

What did they do before power boats? I think I read on Ausfish a while ago, that they used to haul out a bunch of large row boats and then pick them up later when it was time to go home? I wonder how that would go today? Saves fuel costs and is less polluting. Could be a good business idea? Other than that, I don't know what else to do as far as boat fishing goes. Just have to grin and take it. Except for the few times I take the canoe out, I'm strictly a shore fisherman and I'm affected too. I know that it has kept me from taking those "quick trips out" that I used to take. I can't afford it. :(

It's actually scarey. Where does it end? At what point does it become too much and what happens then? :-/

wayne_cook
24-04-2006, 09:04 AM
hey scrotty
In your classes do they say what might happen to the areas that arn't green zones.If the same amount of guys (gals) are forced to fish in less area won't that wreck these areas even quicker.Wouldn't it be better to be taking smaller amounts from all areas.
Marine Parks auth. says there not there to protect fish just habitat .Anchors doing damage etc. If this is the case why will divers be allowed in.If there going to use propaganda at least try to make it believable.Getting cranky gotta go.

Canoedle
24-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Get a kayak, no more fuel worries. :P

fish2eat
24-04-2006, 11:40 AM
people used to fish very differently 30 or 40 years ago......the average fisho didn't own a motorised boat. If you own 2 cars, outboards etc, then you are part of the reason why fuel is getting expensive.

You can't expect the huge populations in China and India to not want cars and boats like we do, and their economies are growing and allowing them to achieve this.

More world demand = high prices, there's no conspiracy, just economics

Darren_R
24-04-2006, 04:22 PM
Gday Brrbear, If you are allowed to fish anywhere and everywhere there is nowhere that fish can be left alone to regenerate at a natural rate. The divers are mearly looking not taking. Yes the anchors of dive boats are the same as fishos, but if you have ever dived you will understand the difference in the damage fishing does when compared to diving. I have seen parts of reef covered in piles of old line, hooks, rope,sikers etc etc. Divers go to look at what we fishos like to take. Its not a matter of saying what might happen to the open fishing zones because it is already happening. It has been PROVEN that areas closed to ALL fishing see a huge increase in numbers and sizes aff all species. Dont get me wrong I love reef fishing, I am going out on a charter for two days on wednesday and Thursday but it still concerns me when All fish stocks are considered overfished. You cant argue with the figures. A lot of the problem is we dont all take small amounts. The current annual capture of the Rec fishos is now greater than the commercial catch. The more you research the figures and stats the more yopu will realise that the fishing future is quite grim, unless some big changes are made in managment of a hugely hammaerd resource. Currently there is only 1 wild fishery considered sustainable in the WORLD and that is the WA rock lobster. The unusuall breeding cycle has a lot to do with this.#The research does not paint a pretty picture its up to us all to do somthing about it. Why do we all want to fish in places that we know we cant or are not allowed to ? Alot of the time its because we know the fishing there is better so that answers the importance of green zones. Without protecting the habitat for fish to live and reproduce there will be no fish. It is fact that there is not one fishery in the world that can be considered successful as a sustainable resource even the WA lobster is now considered by some to be not worth harvesting due to rising fuel etc. Its a big ocean i think theres plenty of room to have a fish without wanting to reap everything from the areas that are put there for our benefit anyway. The spill over affect from green zones has been proven to enhance the quality of fishing near buy. If you have a look at the research and stats of some of the major species and compare them to the past you will see that its not going to be so good for the future fishos.

PinHead
24-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Gday Brrbear, If you are allowed to fish anywhere and everywhere there is nowhere that fish can be left alone to regenerate at a natural rate. The divers are mearly looking not taking. Yes the anchors of dive boats are the same as fishos, but if you have ever dived you will understand the difference in the damage fishing does when compared to diving. I have seen parts of reef covered in piles of old line, hooks, rope,sikers etc etc. Divers go to look at what we fishos like to take. Its not a matter of saying what might happen to the open fishing zones because it is already happening. It has been PROVEN that areas closed to ALL fishing see a huge increase in numbers and sizes aff all species. Dont get me wrong I love reef fishing, I am going out on a charter for two days on wednesday and Thursday but it still concerns me when All fish stocks are considered overfished. You cant argue with the figures. A lot of the problem is we dont all take small amounts. The current annual capture of the Rec fishos is now greater than the commercial catch. The more you research the figures and stats the more yopu will realise that the fishing future is quite grim, unless some big changes are made in managment of a hugely hammaerd resource. Currently there is only 1 wild fishery considered sustainable in the WORLD and that is the WA rock lobster. The unusuall breeding cycle has a lot to do with this.#The research does not paint a pretty picture its up to us all to do somthing about it. Why do we all want to fish in places that we know we cant or are not allowed to ? Alot of the time its because we know the fishing there is better so that answers the importance of green zones. Without protecting the habitat for fish to live and reproduce there will be no fish. It is fact that there is not one fishery in the world that can be considered successful as a sustainable resource even the WA lobster is now considered by some to be not worth harvesting due to rising fuel etc. Its a big ocean i think theres plenty of room to have a fish without wanting to reap everything from the areas that are put there for our benefit anyway. The spill over affect from green zones has been proven to enhance the quality of fishing near buy. If you have a look at the research and stats of some of the major species and compare them to the past you will see that its not going to be so good for the future fishos.

You have summed up a lot the problem right there in the highlighted part...it is the destruction of the habitat that does the damage...the number of fish taken by rec fishos could not make a dent on the total population....the breeding habitat has been decimated by development...take Pt. Halloran for example..when I was a kid..nothing but mangroves..now look at it...all houses...development and run off pollution are the greatest traumas to affect the fish habitats.

FISH_mad_POM
24-04-2006, 05:50 PM
over in the UK ive just filled up me jerry can and it cost me £1.07p per litre which is 2.568 Aus dollars so i can only hope and pray it doesnt get like that for you all.
Our goverment blames the high costs of a barrel of oil too but in reality there robbing the normal working person which it effects whilst it doesnt effect the wealthy bunch at all ...

im gonna shut up now before i get on me box and start REALLY MOANING !! ;)