PDA

View Full Version : What to Expect ???

FISH_mad_POM
22-04-2006, 10:40 PM
Im moving out to brisbane within the next 6 months from the UK and i live for fishing.
Currently in Uk i fish many different methods including carp fishin with 3 rods of 2 1/2 tect curve rods with electronic indicators and bait runner reels on lakes , River fishing for barbel and chubb with ledger rigs and maybe 1 1/2 lb test curve rods and stalking tactics in the summer for surface feeding fish. Dont know if any of this makes sense but whilst the missus in doors is worried about housing and schooling for the kids im worried about getting me rod and line wet again . :o

Any advice would be gratefully received and wont be wasted

Thanks

FISH_mad_POM ;)

blaze
22-04-2006, 11:01 PM
You asked what to expext. Well, its like this, there is already a lot of your country men (and women) already inhabiting brisbane, dont know if they have room for another. LOL
Welcome to ausfish, its brisbane based and you will get a heap of help of the guys in the know.
I am to far south to be much help (Tasmania)
cheers
blaze
Ps
Over to the english chappies now

FISH_mad_POM
22-04-2006, 11:05 PM
Im sure theres room for one more fish mad pom blaze ???
come on let me in !! ;)

bidkev
22-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Mate, I'm from Blackpool and been here 11 years.

Not much scope for coarse fishing I'm afraid. Let me know where you're settling in Brizzy and I'll clue you up.

kev

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

blaze
22-04-2006, 11:24 PM
you will have to break him in on them 4 legged saltie's Kev, on second thoughts your a bit far south for that.
cheers
blaze

Grand_Marlin
23-04-2006, 06:42 AM
Cool ... Another person to help eat down the catfish stocks ;D

Kev will put you right onto these Catfish, Fish Mad.

We also fish of the river banks quite often... dont often come home with a feed, but we always enjoy it.
I would be happy to show you some techniques we use.

Cheers

Pete

bushbeachboy
23-04-2006, 07:21 AM
Hey Pom,
Welcome to Oz in advance! #Don't move to stinky Brisbane. # ;D ;D ;D Come on up north a bit to the Burdekin. #Lots more fish, friendly people, almost no traffic. #Boat ramps everywhere that are never crowded. #Of course, bank fishing is a bit less attractive with the roaming four legged snapping long-nosed handbags to look out for. #The weather's great up here, at least in winter. #On a cool day (we don't have any cold ones) the temp gets down to about 25C. #Nights are a bit cooler, but normally not below about 15C. #And it's so convenient living here. #If you live 10 mins from town, you're out in the sticks. #Shopping is good, plenty of fresh fruit and veg at good prices. #Real estate is cheap. #And did I mention the fishing? #Check out this link http://www.fishingline.com.au/Queensland/Ayr.htm
Cheers mate

FISH_mad_POM
23-04-2006, 08:10 AM
all sounds too good to be true chaps !
sounds like im gonna have to fight with me self to go to work every day !
we havent made location plans yet within brisbane kev as we dont want to jump the gun before ours sells so were up for any location tips from you all as well - just gotta bear in mind work i suppose
As for sharing the cats grand marlin - ill buy the beers

bidkev
23-04-2006, 09:21 AM
Mate, depends whereabouts you're gonna work. It can be a long haul if you live on the Northside and have to commute to the Southside.

I'm on the Northside and only 10 minutes from several boat ramps and shore fishing.

Feel free to personal message me through this site with any questions about housing locations etc. You can pm me your email addy if you want.

Good luck with selling the house. My missus is a nurse and she was so deperate to get out of the health service there that we practically gave our house away just to get over here. Came blind.......never seen the place..........no job..........only 18000 bucks to our name......manage on one income, and haven't regretted a minute.

It's true what they say, "Australia is the lucky country" but you have to make your own luck I suppose ;D

kev

A man has reached middle age when he is cautioned to slow down by his doctor instead of by the
police.

hussy
23-04-2006, 03:58 PM
whats this stinky brisbane bit, burdekin is where they would put the tube to give queensland an enema.just joking

choppa
23-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Currently in Uk i fish many different methods including carp fishin with 3 rods of 2 1/2 tect curve rods with electronic indicators and bait runner reels #on lakes , River fishing for barbel and chubb with ledger rigs and maybe 1 1/2 lb test curve rods and stalking tactics in the summer for surface feeding fish. Dont know if any of this makes sense

FISH_mad_POM ;)

when i first read this i thought SH####,, we're being invaded,,, then i read it again with an english accent, and it makes better sense ;D ;D ;D ;D,,

were ever ya end up mate i'm sure your gonna enjoy and wonder why you didn't move across sooner,,,,,,you may have to upgrade some of ya gear though

choppa

fish2eat
24-04-2006, 11:47 AM
you might want to sell your fishing gear before you leave, because you will need entirely different equipment. However, you will never look back fishing wise......

shaman
24-04-2006, 07:53 PM
"WHERE THE BLOODY HELL ARE YA"
Get over here quick matey, the bream are comin' on the chew, the jew are making an appearance and the jacks are still biting.
Good luck on your move. Shaman

subzero
24-04-2006, 08:29 PM
What to expect?
Prawns on a BBQ, sunburn, hangovers, and half naked young ladys in thong's running around on the beaches from time to time8-) :)
Oh, and yes you can find time to wet the line occassionaly as well
Ahhhh, sunny Queensland, wouldnt be dead for quids ;D

GES
25-04-2006, 11:03 PM
A couple of hundred years ago, the British Government sent a lot of your countrymen over here to Australia as a punishment for minor crimes. #
I'll bet if the "aristocratic #gentlemen" who were responsible for sending the convicts here #knew just how good it is here, they would have come to Australia themselves and left the criminals back in bloody England.

Good luck on the move mate.

GES

Feral
26-04-2006, 04:09 AM
G'day - new chums always welcome.

Was speaking only yesterday to a pommie basta.... oops sorry immigrant, who has only been out here 8 weeks. He was telling me the most suprising thing about fishing here is that the fish fight. According to him in merry old England, a lot of the fish pretty much hook themselves and lay there, just a dead weight on the line.

If he wasn't pulling my leg, your in for a good time when you find the fish here fight back!

bidkev
26-04-2006, 07:17 AM
G'day - new chums always welcome.

Was speaking only yesterday to a pommie basta.... oops sorry immigrant, who has only been out here 8 weeks. He was telling me the most suprising thing about fishing here is that the fish fight. According to him in merry old England, a lot of the fish pretty much hook themselves and lay there, just a dead weight on the line.

Yeah, the fish perform rather like the cricket and footy teams ;D

kev

Anger opens the mouth and shuts the mind.

fish2eat
26-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Of course you'll get even better help from us if you renounce the England cricket team and barrack for "US" to get our ashes back next summer.

borisdog
26-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Oh No! Not another one. Will they never stop? ::) ::) ;D. Welcome to the promised land champ.

finga64
26-04-2006, 12:05 PM
Currently in Uk i fish many different methods including carp fishin with 3 rods of 2 1/2 tect curve rods with electronic indicators and bait runner reels #on lakes FISH_mad_POM ;)

Gidday future whinging pommy (we say this with a sense of mateship don't forget :))
Amasing. Our English friends look for these fish and here their a notious pest. :-?
If you get a hankering to get back to the ways of the future old country, it's only a trip out west a little to go fishing for carp. Lucky you'll be moving over when it's still cold. You'll have time to climatise before the summer ;)
Cheers and when's the welcome party
Scott